• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travellers Cheques - Not Accepted

GarryK

Mouseketeer
I've been reading on threads that a few places no longer accept $ TCs as payment. Having still got several $100s from previous trips it would be good to know which places no longer take them for this year.

Can we get a list ?

Mods - is it worth making a sticky ?

Garry

Just for the record, we used a few in April at shops and restaurants and had NO problems whatsoever.

Great idea for a thread, I know the Disney still accept them as do most places. I remember readinG a while back that there was an issue with Walmart.

We used them constantly last October from the Malls to Disney to Wallmart and never had any issues whatsoever.

i have just got back and took some TC aswell and Disney accepted them everywhere and never asked for id, we went to Walmart twice and they were accepted both times with id.

The only one I know of is Golden Corral but that's not a new thing.

A list would be a good idea if - perhaps we can start with the few places you've already heard of that don't accept them and see if that jogs anyone's memory :)

We were last over in December and didn't have any problems at all. It would be good if we could list here places where people have had cheques refused though.

When we went to New York a couple of years back people looked at the travellers cheques like they were some kind of foreign money and wouldn't cash them - i hope it never gets like that in Orlando!

We used them all the time in January no problem whatsoever. Not heard of anywhere not accepting them.

I'm going in a few weeks and I'm getting my currency soon, I was just wondering what percentage split you usually split dollars and travellers checks? Also are 'dollar checks'? the same thing, my friend has mentioned them before. Sorry for all the questions, I'm just worried about them not been accepted but don't want to take all cash etc :goodvibes

p.s don' t want take over the thread or anything, just think it's a similar question and didn't want to start another thread lol.

I'm going in a few weeks and I'm getting my currency soon, I was just wondering what percentage split you usually split dollars and travellers checks? Also are 'dollar checks'? the same thing, my friend has mentioned them before. Sorry for all the questions, I'm just worried about them not been accepted but don't want to take all cash etc :goodvibes

p.s don' t want take over the thread or anything, just think it's a similar question and didn't want to start another thread lol.

I go with American Express Travellers cheques. It is an international brand and instantly recognised. I take the max amount of currency per person that we are insured for in cash on our insurance (equal to £500 per adult and £300 per child) and the rest in TCs. I used to only take TCs. This year I am doing as above with the cash and splitting TCs and FairFx card for the rest.

I go with American Express Travellers cheques. It is an international brand and instantly recognised. I take the max amount of currency per person that we are insured for in cash on our insurance (equal to £500 per adult and £300 per child) and the rest in TCs. I used to only take TCs. This year I am doing as above with the cash and splitting TCs and FairFx card for the rest.

ooh thankyou, ill have a look into them, and good point about the insurance :goodvibes ill check how much I'm covered for :thumbsup2

Well this will be our 3rd trip to Florida in 3 years and we always take a couple of hundred dollars in cash for our arrival and take the rest in travellers cheques and have never had an issue other than in the Golden Coral. Have been to Seattle several times too and never had an issue using them there in much less touristy areas than Orlando.

mo x

Oh, just to add to the comments on the cash, make sure you ask for $50 - 100 in small denominations (lots of $1s and $5s) for tips and the odd waters etc when you arrive, valets and whatever else.

Oh, just to add to the comments on the cash, make sure you ask for $50 - 100 in small denominations (lots of $1s and $5s) for tips and the odd waters etc when you arrive, valets and whatever else.

That's a really good tip :thumbsup2 thankyou :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter