Traveling with toddler help please!

lg3

<font color=darkorchid>The '80's must have been ha
Our toddler will be 3 1/2 when going to DL. We took her when she was 1 and it was a total disaster, even though we kept things low-key. We don't want a repeat. I know all the typical things to do (make sure they get enough food, sleep, etc) to ward off potential issues, but was hoping for tried and true ideas to conquer DL & DCA with a little one. Regarding naptime - do you have to go out a specific gate to come back in later? This is a biggie for us. Regarding food at the park, is it better to make reservations in advance and try to book around hunger pain time? We really want the trip to be special. Any other ideas/tips. Things can get dicey so quickly with little ones. Any help is truly appreciated!!!!

I think I would stick as close to her daily schedule as humanly possible. If that means you have to be back in your rooms watching TV at 8:30 p.m., well you gotta do what ya gotta do. I would also bring some familiar type foods, cookies or fruit snacks that she enjoys at home. I would bring her favorite blanket and her favorite stuffed toy. That way although she will be in different surroundings, many comfort items will be available.

I think in terms of leaving the park, you just need a hand stamp. If this is wrong, please someone let me know. With the hand stamp, you can come back after her nap time.

I would have her nap at the exact same time for the exact same amount of time that she would at home. If she eats breakfast at 8:00, lunch at 12:00 and dinner at 5:00, I'd try to stick to those time frames. A hungry kid is a cranky kid. You can set your watch by my DD's tummy!

Here's a big one too! You need to just try to be calm and sort of breezy. If she senses you are anticipating a meltdown or are a bit stressed out, she will be stressed out too. Toddlers are very good at picking up on vibes.

My daughter was a "routine" kid too and she still likes knowing what her day is going to be like. She is just starting to become a little more adventurous and can roll with the punches from time to time, but she used to get out of sorts really quickly at 3 1/2.

Hope that helps.

We did WDW when my toddler was 1. (celebrated his 1st birthday there) It was nice, not a total disaster...but it wasn't as relaxing as it had been. We took him again last year, when he was 11mos old and WHAT A CHANGE a few months made! He ABSOLUTELY loved being there every second. I don't think the smile left his face the entire trip! (2wks) It was one of the best times we've ever had as a family!

One of the biggest things we did was to "take it slow." We didn't do WDW commando style. (that isn't our style anyway) We took long walks around the resort and took naps while the parks were busiest. (during the afternoon) We didn't plan any late meals...mostly early dinner times or late lunch times. That helps 'cause you miss the busy crowded times. We also did several character meals throughout our vacation. He loved those! I also bought him a souvenir cup and kept filling it with water. This helped with him getting fussy due to the heat. (with CA I the weather isn't as hot as FL so that'll help) Also, the 1st night we got there...I got him an "extra special" toy...he picked a Mickey. He played with it the entire trip!

Hope this helps! BTW...we are taking him to DL at the end of May and he can't wait! He put a pair of shorts and two t-shirts in his suitcase and declared that he was ready to go to "dee-nee." :) (of course, now I have to figure out how to stall him for a month and three wks! lol)

If she just needs some time to run around, try toon town. The have a new play area for small kids which is perfect for these moments. i wouldn't plan too many meals, just go when you are hungry. Most places don't need advance reservations. Character meals are fun(and I do recommend reservations for these) and give your child a chance to interact with characters without the stress of lines. Don't try to see everything during your visit, follow the cues from your child and accept you won't see or do everything. We've had many great trips with kids under 5, maybe not the ideal trip we had planned (as adult its hard to know what your child will be like at a place like DIsneyland), but fun all the same.

I've found it best to just go with the flow. When the kids get tired/cranky, we leave for naps. I don't stick with the home schedule (not that we really have one set in stone anyway). A day in the parks can overstimulate them and they get tired much faster/sooner than they would at home.

Regarding meals......if you were planning on a character meal, Blue Bayou, or something like that, it's advised that you make advanced reservations. With our crew (currently 5yo, 3yo, 2yo) I can't imagine trying to structure meals around a time, so we just play it by ear and eat wherever we're at when they get hungry. We also carry a few types of snacks in ziplocs in the bottom of the stroller to tide over.

No one shoot me please ;) but I'm not a fan of character meals anyway. Yet. My big worry is that we'd shell out a lot of money only to have one of the kids be petrified of the characters. This last time trip, our 3yo flipped out on us as we were waiting in line to see Goofy, Donald, Mickey, etc. on Main Street and Buzz Lightyear in Tomorrowland.....and he's the biggest fan of all of them. You just never know.

familyoffiveAZ said:
No one shoot me please ;) but I'm not a fan of character meals anyway. Yet. My big worry is that we'd shell out a lot of money only to have one of the kids be petrified of the characters.

Definitely! You have to know your child! My nephew, who happens to be 5, doesn't like characters. Yet my 2y/o can't get enough of them! lol When a character was on his way to another table, my then 10mo old, would try to grab him so that he could visit longer! :goodvibes You definitely have to know your child. If he/she doesn't like the characters 'up close and personal'...then a character meal is not the best way to go for your family.

I'm definitely bringing snacks to ward off hunger crankies. DSnearly2 used to be content being wheeled around in the stroller, but in the last few weeks has figured out how to unlatch the seatbelt on our smaller stroller, and loves to hop out at the most inopportune times! So I think letting him run a bit will help his mood, too. A friend is going to lend us a toddler 'backpack': An animal shape on the back, with a long 'tail' leash for the parent to hang onto. Hope that lets him run around some without getting lost in the crowd. (I used to hate seeing kids on a leash, but now know why parents do it!)

My eldest DD was 3 1/2 on our first trip to WDW, the youngest was the same age on the second trip.

Like previous posters mentioned, keep to their same sleep schedules and carry around snacks and drinks. Don't wait for her to ask for a snack or drink -- by then they're already too cranky. Keep offering while you're in lines. (Especially the drinks if it's hot. A lot of crankiness is due to dehydration and too much sun.)

My DDs go to bed promptly at 8 pm. We always made sure to be back in the hotels by that time - no late-night fireworks or parades (unless they weren't doing anything at all the next day). Generally, we knew our day was done by 5 pm.- left the park and had some dinner off-site. If we didn't see it all, there would always be another day, or another trip.

Take it easy. Plan a lot of sit-down shows. Try to get a feel ahead of time if they like characters. My eldest always did, but the youngest showed fear at characters from our local Paramount park. I prepped her with the Disneyland sing-along DVD, and I gave her an autograph book which broke the ice with characters and gave her a mission! She was never afraid at WDW -- showed her book, and demanded a photo, and moved on :rotfl2:

My DH has always felt children over 2 shouldn't be in strollers (don't yell at me! Everyone is different.) So, my biggest tip would be to get your DD going on long, outdoor walks to get used to the amount of walking at DL. And make sure they have comfortable running shoes rather than sandles. I couldn't believe how many kids we saw in flat flip-flops. That's got to hurt by the end of the day!

Enjoy the little things, and if they get so cranky that you're miserable, just leave the park. One of my eldest DDs fondest memories of her first trip was the great pool at our hotel :goodvibes

amw said:
My DH has always felt children over 2 shouldn't be in strollers (don't yell at me! Everyone is different.) So, my biggest tip would be to get your DD going on long, outdoor walks to get used to the amount of walking at DL.

Everyone is definitely different but I'm going to have to share a different opinion here. Normally...yes, any child age 2 1/2 or 3 years of age, should not use a stroller.

Unless you plan on spending only a day or two at DL or WDW, then you won't need one. However, if you plan on spending several days at the parks, well, it's only normal for a young child to get tired by the 3rd day!

First time we went to Disney, my then "just turned" 6y/o was EXHAUSTED by the 4th day and could not do all of the walking WDW required so we rented a double stroller and it worked out great for his little feet and for us, as we didn't have to hear the whining. ;) Seriously though...most kids aren't used to all of that walking so don't feel bad if your "big" kid needs a stoller or double stroller. (ignore the stares! ;)) I say if your child is 6, 5 or under...keeping them comfy if the main thing! :thumbsup2

There have been plenty of times DW and I both wish we had a stroller to ride around in, and we're very fit people. So I'm sure children have to feel it too.

I'm not judging the use of strollers. I was just making a suggestion if the poster wasn't going to have one. We did 6 days at WDW and never needed them for DD3 and DD5 -- even around the world at Epcot. We did, however, gage their "crankiness" and generally left the park at dinner time.

From what I hear DL is much smaller, so chances of doing the park without a stroller would be much greater for a poster. I was simply suggesting to get their DD3 out walking -- whether a trip to the local zoo, park, etc. to gage how good they are and to increase stamina if necessary.

Save the Railroad train ride around the park as a mid-afternoon break.

I give the same walking tip for those travelling with seniors, or any adults not used to walking. Just go for long walks everyday to get used to the mileage you'll put on your tootsies :sunny:

thanks everyone for the great advice. I really appreciate it. Maybe she will give in to the stroller option at some point too - She decided she didn't want to use a stroller anymore at about 1 1/2 - usually refuses to get in one, but who knows after some long walking.

It always surprises me too that I sometimes see little ones in flip flops when they need good comfortable walking shoes. I have heard some people change shoes or socks after a few hours. Hopefully that won't be a big deal at DL as it is smaller in general.
I really appreciate all the responses! Can't wait! (4 months and counting)

Just a comment: We were planning to bring a stroller for DSnearly2, but tons of people on the DIS recommended I also plan on pushing DS5 in one as well. I thought there was no way DS5 would even think of being in a stroller, plus we'll be taking a mid-day nap break... I questioned the necessity.

So many people insistently advised either a double stroller or a 2nd stroller that we've decided to bring both our strollers. In the morning we'll bring just one, because we'll only be in the park maybe 3 hours. We'll nap/swim at the hotel, then head back in the late afternoon/evening, and I can see that DS5 may be getting a little weary, particularly as someone said after the 3rd day or so. That's when we'll bring 2 strollers into the park, and will see if we really need 2 or not. Would rather have it than not, and will definitely bring it if we plan to stay in the park late.

We also are bringing plenty of different tennies & sandals for everyone. Switching shoes is going to help with the walking, I think, as well as allow us something to change into if a pair gets wet.

Oh! Also am planning to bring a change of clothes at least for the kids, in case they get wet or somebody has a potty accident.

Definitely bring a stroller! My almost 6 year old was mortified when we first said we were bringing one for her on our trip in Nov. By day 3 we couldn't have lasted without it! We stayedon Harbor right across the street, but it would've been a LONG walk back carrying sleeping 4 and 6 year olds! Since we all wanted to stay to see the fireworks we didn't want to leave earlier. But the second the show was over the kids were zonked in the stroller.

Photo179SmallWebview.jpg

I suggest getting a reclining umbrella stroller. They're collapsible for riding the train, tram, etc. and lightweight. It'll come in handy especially when nap time rolls around and you're not planning on going back to the hotel.

We're traveling with a large group (21 in all) and want to try to stay together as much as possible. Strollers are going to be very handy for us. Got the gameplan for snacks, drinks, sunscreen, extra clothes and a misting fan for the hot summer days in July.

All in all, just enjoy as much as possible. Take the cues of the kids and make it a memorable experience.

Don't know about your toddler, but when my boys were younger, it was impossible for them to "hold" it for long periods of time. So we resorted to going to the bathroom pretty much anytime we passed one. :thumbsup2

Would hate to have you waiting in line for 20 minutes for a character, ride, etc., only to hear "Mommy, I have to go NOW!" :rolleyes:

Yeah, we're going to need to be better about asking our DS5 to go potty. He's been having potty accidents a lot lately, where he used to have one occasionally when he got so engrossed in playing that it was too late. I think it's going to be pretty busy when we go (in just a few days!), so will have to ask before we get in any long lines.

Alex2kMommy said:
Yeah, we're going to need to be better about asking our DS5 to go potty. He's been having potty accidents a lot lately, where he used to have one occasionally when he got so engrossed in playing that it was too late. I think it's going to be pretty busy when we go (in just a few days!), so will have to ask before we get in any long lines.

Before you go on any trams too! My DD would always ask for a bathroom between the parking lot and the entrance at WDW --even though we'd make her go at the hotel first. The anticipation and excitement does it to them :goodvibes Also, I tended to keep hydrating them throughout the day which made them go more often.

I have mixed opinions about the character meals. They are VERY chaotic! So, if you child doesn't like a lot of commotion and isn't crazy about the characters, I'd skip it. I also wouldn't make any sit down lunch or dinner reservations. Sitting in a restaurant is not easy for a 3 year old anyway, let alone at disney where they are excited and often tired. I'd do all counter service and make sure to snack frequently. Leaving for a nap is a must do -- not just for the kid but for the parents too! Believe me, the nap will help you too. :)

brenda1966 said:
I have mixed opinions about the character meals. They are VERY chaotic! So, if you child doesn't like a lot of commotion and isn't crazy about the characters, I'd skip it. I also wouldn't make any sit down lunch or dinner reservations. Sitting in a restaurant is not easy for a 3 year old anyway, let alone at disney where they are excited and often tired. I'd do all counter service and make sure to snack frequently. Leaving for a nap is a must do -- not just for the kid but for the parents too! Believe me, the nap will help you too. :)

Character meals (particularly if you go early, like 11:30am for lunch or 5pm for dinner) can be a very enjoyable experience. I like them because after walking around DL/DCA, it's nice to sit down and relax. Also, if we don't want the characters to come around (for example, my younger son hid under the table when Belle and Jasmine came by) then we simply explain this - no hard feelings.

On the other hand, I don't expect my kids to eat a whole lot, so don't be disappointed if they leave half their meal. It's a lot to see/do, but my kids love the character meals overall. I think you'll have a much difference experience this time around; just go with what your child wants to do (i.e. if he/she is cranky, a sit-down meal probably isn't the way to go) and you'll all have a good time! :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter