Traveling with Scooter bound elderly disabled father--ride recommendations

We took my dad to DL a couple of times using a scooter. We always rented off-site and had it delivered to his hotel room. I can't recall him doing any rides at DL. Anything that required him to step up or down (like getting into a boat) was too difficult. He was happy to sit on the scooter or a bench, people-watch and eat snacks while we went on rides. His main objective was just being at DL with his grandsons.

The one ride he really wanted to try was Soarin' at DCA. He was able to ride the scooter right into the auditorium and walk just a few steps to his seat. He loved it so much! He also went on Mickey's Fun Wheel (stationary car). Again, he was able to ride almost up to the boarding area. The CM's even wiped down the scooter when we got off since it had been raining. My dad made two DL trips with us using a scooter and he enjoyed every second. I'm glad we have those memories with him!

The difficulty of HM is that those able to walk with a cane about 10-15 ft leave their chair/scooter with a CM who parks it. They then walk with some other guests to the point where one steps onto the moving sidewalk beside the doombuggy track to reach your doombuggy, which is also moving. It can be unsettling to time plopping into the doombuggy seat without falling for those able to walk normally or with just a cane. I've sometimes dropped onto the doombuggy seat somewhat clumsily.

At ride's end, they must then walk about 20-30 ft. to get to where their chair/ECV is parked.

Dangerous and impossible for someone able to walk only a few steps.

Disneyland's configuration may be rather different and more compact. I've described the difficulty with WDW's for the substantially mobility impaired. It's getting onto and off that moving sidewalk which could be hazardous for those unable to walk any distance at all, even with a cane. Disneyland may not have that. I rode HM there over 50 years ago so don't recall it much.

Last edited:
Thank you for the heads up! Our travel agent seemed certain Dad would qualify, as he is a fully 100 percent disabled veteran. He has paperwork and all of that if needed. He is also on dozens of pills, severe arthritis, pacemaker, so I wouldn't *think* there would be an issue.
Just want to reiterate what the PP said in the quote below. DAS is not for mobility issues. All lines at DCA are accessible. And rides at DL which are not accessible, e.g. dark rides in FL, will have your father load from the exit. DAS is for guests who have issues waiting in traditional lines. There are many different reasons why a guest might have the need to wait (and DAS holders do wait pretty much the posted standby time) outside the regular queue, but mobility/lack of mobility is not one of them. And the PP is correct that CMs will neither ask for nor look at any paperwork you provide. They are not allowed to ask for it or to use it in their decision to grant/not grant DAS. And the PP is also correct that DAS or no DAS, you and your family can still have a great trip.

Just make sure you schedule an appointment before you get there to talk with someone about getting a DAS pass. You don't want to be surprised when you get there. I can't even tell you how physically disabled my aunt is. She can't stand. She literally can only walk two steps without a walker if she is hanging on to a railing or something. It takes two people to help her stand up. I have to FORCE her leg to bend to get in and out of the ride vehicles (same with cars for her, whoever is driving has to push her leg and bend her foot for her sideways to get in and out of cars , it is awful) All of the rides it took us an extra 20 minutes at least each time to get her on or off the ride vehicles if she had to transfer. That is with my mom and cast members holding her stable while I pushed and pulled her leg to get it in. We only rode rides were we knew they pulled the car off to the side if she had to transfer because we were not going to make anyone else wait for her. She's on a bucket of pills every day but because it.is strictly mobility issues she just rode her scooter through the queue. She never qualified for DAS pass. The only thing that sounds different about your father's situation is a pacemaker. I honestly don't know what that entails but I guarantee you you will not qualify just based on his lack of mobility or arthritis. My good friend went with her son who had actually broken his left leg, his right knee and one arm a week before they went and he did not qualify. He looked like Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window! No pass for him, he just had a crash course on navigating a scooter in tight spaces.
They will not look at any paperwork about his disability.
I'm not trying to be argumentative or rude. I just want you to plan ahead and not count on something that may not happen. You definitely want to look into it before you go. The queues are incredibly accommodating for scooters. It's really quite amazing.

DAS pass or no DAS pass I I know you will have a wonderful time and will make so many fun memories. I hope you come back and tell us how it goes and what ride he liked best,!

The difficulty of HM is that those able to walk with a cane about 10-15 ft leave their chair/scooter with a CM who parks it. They then walk with some other guests to the point where one steps onto the moving sidewalk beside the doombuggy track to reach your doombuggy, which is also moving. It can be unsettling to time plopping into the doombuggy seat without falling for those able to walk normally or with just a cane. I've sometimes dropped onto the doombuggy seat somewhat clumsily.

At ride's end, they must then walk about 20-30 ft. to get to where their chair/ECV is parked.

Dangerous and impossible for someone able to walk only a few steps.

Disneyland's configuration may be rather different and more compact. I've described the difficulty with WDW's for the substantially mobility impaired. It's getting onto and off that moving sidewalk which could be hazardous for those unable to walk any distance at all, even with a cane. Disneyland may not have that. I rode HM there over 50 years ago so don't recall it much.

Disneyland is a bit different process. When you go to ride, the rider will be asked if they can stand 10-15 minutes and walk about 50 feet (seriously - do not believe this estimate). If the person can, they will have the person park the wheelchair/ECV and will take them right in to the stretch room and the person will ride as normal. If someone needs to bring in the wheelchair/ECV, they will have you wait to the side on a ramp going into the mansion. They can only have 6 devices in at a time, so sometimes there is a bit of a wait. We have waited up to 30 minutes in this area. Once in the mansion, the group with the wheelchair/ECV will be the last into the stretch room and then the last out of the stretch room, and will go down the left side of the hallway (stay along left side ropes). The group will be pulled from the line and led to a waiting area and wheelchair/ECV parking lot (there are lines to park them between) and will be asked if they can get on with the moving walkway slowed or if it needs to be stopped. If slowed, the cast members will get the guest right on. If it needs to be stopped, the guest will need to wait for buggies 130, 131, 1, and 2 to come around. That is when they are stopped. (BTW - this can be done at WDW too - I believe their buggies are 161 or so, just tell them you need it stopped and you will be directed to the exit). The buggies have a tag added so the exit cast members know that the guest needs to stay on and return to the load zone where it will be stopped. Once off the ride, a cast member with a flashlight leads the group(s) back to the stretch room which the guests then ride back up (will be told where to stand). Once back at the top, the cast member opens the doors and all the waiting guests flood in and once all those guests are in, the wheelchair party will exit out. Know the process well as we have probably done it a hundred times now.

I wasn't clear either. I ought to have said I don't know how it's done at DLR and left it at that or not posted.

The doombuggies can be stopped at WDW, too. I don't know how that process goes because DH can walk with his cane to the doombuggy, leaving his powerchair to be parked by CMs.

Just ignore the Maleficent-hatted woman babbling about things she doesn't know much about. <--me

We just got back and our trip was absolutely magical! We didn't end up doing the DAS because each time I tried to preregister the que was 4-6 hours, and even at guest services the line seemed quite lengthy. We found Dad didn't want to ride much, and the rides he wanted they cast members were absolutely amazing and scooted us right up and helped us with minimal waits. Truly a magical vacation. We absolutely loved the Grand Cal, a truly amazing splurge. The only real complaint we had was the rides went down a lot at California Adventure. We didn't spend very much time there, often when we got a Genie, we'd get in line and it would go down again, etc. At times they would have 5 major attractions down, which would lead to long que lines in the other rides or leaving only mostly kiddie rides open. We didn't notice it so much at DL--but maybe because they had so many rides and attractions.

We took my dad to DL a couple of times using a scooter. We always rented off-site and had it delivered to his hotel room. I can't recall him doing any rides at DL. Anything that required him to step up or down (like getting into a boat) was too difficult. He was happy to sit on the scooter or a bench, people-watch and eat snacks while we went on rides. His main objective was just being at DL with his grandsons.

The one ride he really wanted to try was Soarin' at DCA. He was able to ride the scooter right into the auditorium and walk just a few steps to his seat. He loved it so much! He also went on Mickey's Fun Wheel (stationary car). Again, he was able to ride almost up to the boarding area. The CM's even wiped down the scooter when we got off since it had been raining. My dad made two DL trips with us using a scooter and he enjoyed every second. I'm glad we have those memories with him!
Dad was able to ride Small world, right up to the QUE and they loaded him in his scooter onto the ride, he didn't even have to get off, they just bungee it in place, it was so awesome!

Its the exit at Haunted mansion to beware of. My husband is wheel chair 100% at Disney and shopping. They asked if he could make a short walk and back then he could so we left his wheel chair outside and walked in and got right on. But when we exit it was so steep of an escalator I had to stand behind him to help him stand. He would have fallen. From then on we always said no, we haven't been back in years but now he cant even walk to the mail box near my hone any more.

We just got back and our trip was absolutely magical! We didn't end up doing the DAS because each time I tried to preregister the que was 4-6 hours, and even at guest services the line seemed quite lengthy. We found Dad didn't want to ride much, and the rides he wanted they cast members were absolutely amazing and scooted us right up and helped us with minimal waits. Truly a magical vacation. We absolutely loved the Grand Cal, a truly amazing splurge. The only real complaint we had was the rides went down a lot at California Adventure. We didn't spend very much time there, often when we got a Genie, we'd get in line and it would go down again, etc. At times they would have 5 major attractions down, which would lead to long que lines in the other rides or leaving only mostly kiddie rides open. We didn't notice it so much at DL--but maybe because they had so many rides and attractions.
I'm so glad you had a great time! Did your dad have any favorite rides or attractions? What did you like best about Disneyland?

That DAS line can be so long! Once on a Saturday morning I was able to preregister in 15 minutes, but all other times the wait was much longer.

Hello--

We have done WDW with our kids many times--but this time we will be traveling with my 83 year old Dad, (along with our 3 young adult/teens) renting a scooter for Dad. We are staying at the Grand Ca., and this will be our first trip to DL.

We have 3 day park hoppers, with Genie. I know we will do some splitting so the kids can ride thrill rides, but would love to ride some rides with Dad (he would qualify for the disability pass there--but no clue how that really works!). Any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated!

It is his first time at Disney, and I know he will get a bang out of just watching the night time spectaculars, parades, the train, and people watching--but any rides that are gentle? He can transfer, but struggles with balance issues so I wondered about things with moving floors like haunted mansion, etc.--or water rides like Small World? All suggestions greatly appreciated!

We will also be staying in Las Vegas for 3 nights prior to driving our rental minivan to DL, but we've been to Vegas previously with all of us--so I feel more confident there!
Rides like Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear astro blasters and the little mermaid they ask if you would like them to stop the ride for you to board and exit and all you have to do is say you need the ride to stop and they will. I use a scooter on all my trips due to a bad knee and the always ask me this. And for Disneyland not CA Adventure they will give return times like a fast pass so, DAS pass will not be needed. I would purchase Genie for everyone for the days you go to CA Adventure so, you don't have to wait in lines.

Rides like Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear astro blasters and the little mermaid they ask if you would like them to stop the ride for you to board and exit and all you have to do is say you need the ride to stop and they will. I use a scooter on all my trips due to a bad knee and the always ask me this. And for Disneyland not CA Adventure they will give return times like a fast pass so, DAS pass will not be needed. I would purchase Genie for everyone for the days you go to CA Adventure so, you don't have to wait in lines.
Can you ask the same for space mtn? My husband is having ACL surgery about a month before our next trip. He will be using a scooter, and knows he will need extra time to load on space mtn.

Can you ask the same for space mtn? My husband is having ACL surgery about a month before our next trip. He will be using a scooter, and knows he will need extra time to load on space mtn.
Space moutain doesn't have a moving platform. However you can get a return time like with all other Disneyland rides and you go in the back entrance when entering and requesting a return time. There will be cast members at a podium near the exit of the ride near the restrooms and you request your return time there. They will instruct you to go through the exit etc. You get into the car in a special area where you can take your time getting into the car at your own pace. I think this is what you were looking for. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Yep- the Cast Members will provide instructions; it's actually designed really well. The entire car is on transfer track that moves over to ADA loading area and then moves back onto main attraction.

Tell them you need extra time to transfer and need wheelchair/scooter all the way to loading area (you'll line up in the Exit across from restrooms)

You can see the "empty" space the train will move over into-
1692136569464.png

Really, Disney's standard for getting a DAS is pretty much one of anybody whose difficulty is mobility, no DAS will be granted. Because mobility difficulties are not what the DAS is for.
What about Adults with issues like ADHD and on the Autisim scale? What used to be called Asperger's.

What about Adults with issues like ADHD and on the Autisim scale? What used to be called Asperger's.

Disney will not ask for a specific diagnosis currently. (I mean that literally… like the CM we spoke to said “without specifying a diagnosis” at the beginning of the question).

When you sign up for DAS, they will ask what causes waiting in lines to be difficult for the person signing up. (Overstimulation, anxiety, etc.) If someone’s Autism or ADHD makes it difficult to stand in line for extended waits, then they could qualify.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter