Traveling with Scooter bound elderly disabled father--ride recommendations

Mousefan mom

Mouseketeer
Hello--

We have done WDW with our kids many times--but this time we will be traveling with my 83 year old Dad, (along with our 3 young adult/teens) renting a scooter for Dad. We are staying at the Grand Ca., and this will be our first trip to DL.

We have 3 day park hoppers, with Genie. I know we will do some splitting so the kids can ride thrill rides, but would love to ride some rides with Dad (he would qualify for the disability pass there--but no clue how that really works!). Any tips or tricks are greatly appreciated!

It is his first time at Disney, and I know he will get a bang out of just watching the night time spectaculars, parades, the train, and people watching--but any rides that are gentle? He can transfer, but struggles with balance issues so I wondered about things with moving floors like haunted mansion, etc.--or water rides like Small World? All suggestions greatly appreciated!

We will also be staying in Las Vegas for 3 nights prior to driving our rental minivan to DL, but we've been to Vegas previously with all of us--so I feel more confident there!

Mousefan, I'm sure we can find some fun things for your dad to do!

A lot of people on this board have used Disneyland's Disability Access Service, so they can offer better advice, but start here:

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/

https://disneyland.disney.go.com/guest-services/guests-with-disabilities/

These brochures give the mobility access features of attractions in Disneyland and California Adventure:

https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...isneyland/guide-maps/FY23-DL-GWD-Toontown.pdf

https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...ts/disneyland/guide-maps/FY23-DCA-GWD-F-W.pdf

Of course, you'll need to sort out which ones are really suitable for your dad. For example, he might not feel comfortable trying to step into a Pirates boat. Those PDFs and some pages on the DL website state which attractions require getting out of the mobility device.

Good luck!

There are a lot of gentle rides and they can accommodate if extra time is needed to board. They can slow or stop the rides with moving walkways if necessary. CMs are very helpful too and will be accommodating as needed. Some rides that I can see being tricky are Storybookland Canal Boats as you do have to step over the small gap, and Submarine Voyage as there are some pretty tight steps to enter and exit - that would be up to you and your dad's comfort level. I'm sure there will be plenty of things he can enjoy though - you'll have tons of fun!

Last edited:

I visit with my 84 year old Mom at Disneyland regularly with a wheelchair. We are locals and go a lot. My Mom actually still rides some of the thrill rides (she loves Rise of the Resistance and Space Mountain?!?!?). She also loves some of the smaller ones like Dumbo and Peter Pan too.

There are a ton of rides that your dad will be able to go on. Some require a transfer and some can roll an ECV or wheelchair on. Jungle Cruise and Small World both have boats that the wheelchair can roll onto (I know the ECV can roll onto Jungle Cruise, but Small World I think you need to transfer him to a wheelchair to ride). Winnie the Pooh and Buzz have special cars that a wheelchair can be loaded right onto. The Mark Twain boat you can roll right onto. Other rides like Dumbo, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland have cars that they can open the sides to make transfer onto the ride easier. The cast members will ask about transferring at each ride, so just tell them what he can and cannot do, and they will ensure that you get on the way you best need.

We do not use all the accommodations, but we do ask for moving belts to be stopped, the cars that open on the sides like at Dumbo and Alice (and the "Rosa" car at Luigis), and the special boats at Small World and Jungle Cruise as she cannot make those steps anymore. But we do not need the special cars at Toy Story or Buzz or other rides that have those.

Hello--

We have done WDW with our kids many times--but this time we will be traveling with my 83 year old Dad, (along with our 3 young adult/teens) renting a scooter for Dad. We are staying at the Grand Ca., and this will be our first trip to DL...
The daily rental scooters Disney provides cannot be taken into the hotel, so make sure to reserve with a third party company.
Scooter Bug is the "Disney Featured Provider" and the most convenient. Valet or Bell Services can bring the scooter to you when arriving hotel -- directly to your car.

You might consider upgrading to Club Level for Lounge access. Great for your Dad spending more time in the hotel, and for teens' large appetites.

Thank you all so much! I'm a school teacher by trade, and this is the first time I have had a free moment this time of the year (summer will be here in a couple of short weeks, ha ha) to come back to this thread--you guys are AMAZING! Thank you all so so much! I love the tips on everything-and I haven't reserved the scooter yet, so Scooter Bug sounds amazing! We will be spending 3 nights in Las Vegas first, driving in--and I have no idea what to tell the 3rd party vendor on arrival time that day--but we were hoping to have the scooter ASAP--so loving that bell service can have it and bring it upon arrival. I am so so looking forward to this trip.

This is a very timely thread! We are going to the parks next week and my wife could really use a mobility scooter as she has some back and hip issues that make it hard to walk long distances or stand for long periods.

Thanks @Nonsuch for the Scooter Bug recommendation (or mention, anyway). I'm checking them out now for delivery to GC next Sunday!

Rob

I agree with everything that has been posted so far especially about pirates. It’s a big step down my mom who has mobility issues, but can walk for the most part. had a heck of a time getting in and out of that boat.

iregarding the DAS pass just because your father is in a scooter doesn’t mean he will get it DAS pass. My aunt is severely, severely disabled -can’t walk more than two steps and she does not qualify for a pass. I was actually at guest services for some thing else when someone came in and was arguing with them because their father needed a scooter and they were upset they could not just bypass the lines. The cast member person kept asking them “what else does he need besides a scooter? He doesn’t get a DAS pass just because he has a scooter. “ A lot of the queues you can ride the scooter all the way through, and as others have said the moving sidewalks can be stopped. Sometimes when you get near the loading section, they take you to a side area where you are loaded onto a car that has been pulled off the track.
Also be aware that when a ride breaks down, your father will most likely have to walk out. They had to call the paramedics for my aunt as toy story mania broke down, and she could not get down the steps off the cart. It never occurred to us that either ride would breakdown or that because the cars sit so high up she would have to walk down three steps to get off. It was quite the spectacle. Everyone was extremely nice but it was a lot. When Dinosaur (WDW) broke down, it was just my mom and I and we had to walk a lot to get out but the steps of those she could manage. My aunt never would’ve been able to get off of there on her own.
I hope you have a wonderful time. We took my 88 year old grandma once and it was just so much fun, she loved every bit of it except for Indiana Jones! At the end of the ride, when Indy shows that she said “Ah, the hell with you!’ And just about every ride after that, she kept asking but she had to hang onto -even it’s a small world!

As skellinton indicated, it's highly likely your father will not qualify for a DAS unless he's been with you at WDW and did qualify there...maybe. Much depends upon the CM interviewer's skill in eliciting what the need involves.

Many people think the DAS is for those with mobility concerns. It definitely is not, though. A CM will ask, as skellinton said, if the person can resolve their difficulties by use of cane, walker, wheelchair or scooter--any commonly available mobility aid. If yes, it means no DAS. Both DLR and WDW are much more accessible than other theme parks and can adapt rides relatively easily by slowing or stopping them briefly or offering an entrance closer to the boarding point.

The DAS is intended for so-called "invisible" conditions. For instance, someone has a bad back and cannot stand in a queue for any length of time. Another person takes a medication that makes them subject to fainting if they must stand in an unshaded queue. A child has a perceptual problem and will melt down if surrounded by strangers standing too close. These sorts of things.

Perhaps by now you've been to DLR and gone, but maybe the specifics mentioned will help another.

I agree with everything that has been posted so far especially about pirates. It’s a big step down my mom who has mobility issues, but can walk for the most part. had a heck of a time getting in and out of that boat.

iregarding the DAS pass just because your father is in a scooter doesn’t mean he will get it DAS pass. My aunt is severely, severely disabled -can’t walk more than two steps and she does not qualify for a pass. I was actually at guest services for some thing else when someone came in and was arguing with them because their father needed a scooter and they were upset they could not just bypass the lines. The cast member person kept asking them “what else does he need besides a scooter? He doesn’t get a DAS pass just because he has a scooter. “ A lot of the queues you can ride the scooter all the way through, and as others have said the moving sidewalks can be stopped. Sometimes when you get near the loading section, they take you to a side area where you are loaded onto a car that has been pulled off the track.
Also be aware that when a ride breaks down, your father will most likely have to walk out. They had to call the paramedics for my aunt as toy story mania broke down, and she could not get down the steps off the cart. It never occurred to us that either ride would breakdown or that because the cars sit so high up she would have to walk down three steps to get off. It was quite the spectacle. Everyone was extremely nice but it was a lot. When Dinosaur (WDW) broke down, it was just my mom and I and we had to walk a lot to get out but the steps of those she could manage. My aunt never would’ve been able to get off of there on her own.
I hope you have a wonderful time. We took my 88 year old grandma once and it was just so much fun, she loved every bit of it except for Indiana Jones! At the end of the ride, when Indy shows that she said “Ah, the hell with you!’ And just about every ride after that, she kept asking but she had to hang onto -even it’s a small world!
Thank you for the heads up! Our travel agent seemed certain Dad would qualify, as he is a fully 100 percent disabled veteran. He has paperwork and all of that if needed. He is also on dozens of pills, severe arthritis, pacemaker, so I wouldn't *think* there would be an issue.

This is a very timely thread! We are going to the parks next week and my wife could really use a mobility scooter as she has some back and hip issues that make it hard to walk long distances or stand for long periods.

Thanks @Nonsuch for the Scooter Bug recommendation (or mention, anyway). I'm checking them out now for delivery to GC next Sunday!

Rob
Rob, I would love to know what you and your wife thought of GC and how it all went. We won't be going until the beginning of August. I've been to WDW numerous times as it is the closer park for us--but my Dad has never been to Disney. It was his dream to get to take his grandkids during his lifetime (and we are hoping to make a Disney convert out of him!). We will also be staying at the GC--and chose it due to his disability, being closer to everything, etc. I think all of DL will be "closer" and more accessible than I can possibly imagine having only experienced WDW (so so large!), ha ha....but this one seems just a hop, skip, and jump into the parks! Enjoy your trip!

Can I ask how? Was it not wheel chair friendly? Just trying to anticipate what to expect!
I don’t know what the OP is referring to, but for HM, make sure you tell them that no, the person in question cannot walk distances or stand for a length of time. For people who can walk/stand, they will make them park the ECV, but if you say no, then you will be able to bring it all the way up to the ride. They can slow down or stop it to assist people into the doom buggy as well.

What was eye opening for me was that if you bring the ECV in, you exit through the entrance and see something you don’t normally get to see.

I don’t know what the OP is referring to, but for HM, make sure you tell them that no, the person in question cannot walk distances or stand for a length of time. For people who can walk/stand, they will make them park the ECV, but if you say no, then you will be able to bring it all the way up to the ride. They can slow down or stop it to assist people into the doom buggy as well.

What was eye opening for me was that if you bring the ECV in, you exit through the entrance and see something you don’t normally get to see.
This makes sense! Thank you so much! I can't wait to see it all, lol! He truly can't walk distances nor stand for any great length of time without a lot of pain. It is wonderful to know how inclusive and accommodating they can be. I don't see him doing pirates (drops, etc.) and he is NOT a thrill ride person even before he was disabled, ha ha...but I think he will LOVE haunted mansion if we can swing that one.

Thank you for the heads up! Our travel agent seemed certain Dad would qualify, as he is a fully 100 percent disabled veteran. He has paperwork and all of that if needed. He is also on dozens of pills, severe arthritis, pacemaker, so I wouldn't *think* there would be an issue.
Just make sure you schedule an appointment before you get there to talk with someone about getting a DAS pass. You don't want to be surprised when you get there. I can't even tell you how physically disabled my aunt is. She can't stand. She literally can only walk two steps without a walker if she is hanging on to a railing or something. It takes two people to help her stand up. I have to FORCE her leg to bend to get in and out of the ride vehicles (same with cars for her, whoever is driving has to push her leg and bend her foot for her sideways to get in and out of cars , it is awful) All of the rides it took us an extra 20 minutes at least each time to get her on or off the ride vehicles if she had to transfer. That is with my mom and cast members holding her stable while I pushed and pulled her leg to get it in. We only rode rides were we knew they pulled the car off to the side if she had to transfer because we were not going to make anyone else wait for her. She's on a bucket of pills every day but because it.is strictly mobility issues she just rode her scooter through the queue. She never qualified for DAS pass. The only thing that sounds different about your father's situation is a pacemaker. I honestly don't know what that entails but I guarantee you you will not qualify just based on his lack of mobility or arthritis. My good friend went with her son who had actually broken his left leg, his right knee and one arm a week before they went and he did not qualify. He looked like Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window! No pass for him, he just had a crash course on navigating a scooter in tight spaces.
They will not look at any paperwork about his disability.
I'm not trying to be argumentative or rude. I just want you to plan ahead and not count on something that may not happen. You definitely want to look into it before you go. The queues are incredibly accommodating for scooters. It's really quite amazing.

DAS pass or no DAS pass I I know you will have a wonderful time and will make so many fun memories. I hope you come back and tell us how it goes and what ride he liked best,!

This makes sense! Thank you so much! I can't wait to see it all, lol! He truly can't walk distances nor stand for any great length of time without a lot of pain. It is wonderful to know how inclusive and accommodating they can be. I don't see him doing pirates (drops, etc.) and he is NOT a thrill ride person even before he was disabled, ha ha...but I think he will LOVE haunted mansion if we can swing that one.
The drops aren't really bad on pirates. I would just take them on and not tell him about it personally! Haunted Mansion will be completely fine. That one is very easy. They just take you to a back room and you get to see a little bit more of the ride than anyone else.

Unless needing a pacemaker results in some inability to wait in a queue, I agree yet again with skellinton; your dad very probably won't qualify for the DAS.

Your travel agent should not have raised your hopes like that with such a degree of misinformation. Being mobility-impaired, no matter how severely, will not do it.

Pills, arthritis, pacemaker--none of those matters in DAS terms. Unpleasant to consider, but if your dad were to have mental issues that result in his becoming unduly frustrated and behaving inappropriately when forced to wait long for an attraction, something like that might qualify.

Really, Disney's standard for getting a DAS is pretty much one of anybody whose difficulty is mobility, no DAS will be granted. Because mobility difficulties are not what the DAS is for.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter