Traveling with a Newborn

OP-did the baby come?:)

Not yet. Having some contractions today, but not close enough together yet.

Induction set for 4 AM Monday if we don't have it before. The baby is still doing great, but the placenta is aging (stage 3 at 36 weeks) so there was concern about nutrition getting to the baby. The doctor actually brought up the induction at the last appointment before I talked to her about the travel again.

Praying that it comes tonight or tomorrow :)

CONGRATS op! Wishing you all health and happiness, Happy Holidays and Safe Travels.

Congratulations OP!

Many airlines require a birth certificate for a child traveling on your lap. It will be obvious that your baby is a a newborn. Hopefully, you won't run into a jerky airlines agent. We saw a Mom who had to buy a ticket for a baby about 6 months old because she had not brought the birth certificate. This baby was not even sitting up on her own much less crawling or walking. It was sad that the agent was so rude but she kept saying "Rules are rules.".

Congratulations! I didn't post before but I flew with my biological newborn DD at 3 weeks and my adopted DS at 10 days. They are much easier to travel with as newborns! Enjoy your little one!

Congratulations OP!

Many airlines require a birth certificate for a child traveling on your lap. It will be obvious that your baby is a a newborn. Hopefully, you won't run into a jerky airlines agent. We saw a Mom who had to buy a ticket for a baby about 6 months old because she had not brought the birth certificate. This baby was not even sitting up on her own much less crawling or walking. It was sad that the agent was so rude but she kept saying "Rules are rules.".

Congrats! Happy to hear all is well.

You most likely won't have the birth certificate before traveling. I would bring the baby's shot records (that little card you have) and just give that as proof of age in lieu of birth certificate while explaining you haven't gotten it yet.

Congratulations OP!

The agent shouldn't have been rude, but she was right. And it isn't an airline rule, it is an FAA. Legally, only children under two can be lap children (again, not a rule made by the airline) and the airline can be heavily fined if they cannot show that they had proof that all lap children met the age requirement. As a PP noted, the baby's "shot card" would work as well or registration of birth (if you do that where you are).

Congrats OP - enjoy your first Christmas with your wee one!

Mid-trip update:

Baby girl arrived December 7th naturally and came out without complications at 6lbs 12 oz. she got a clean check up before leaving and was above her birthweight on December 15.

We made it to Cincinnati on the first airplane when she was 12 days old. The TSA was very helpful. We were greatly helped through security and u carried her through easily. We were allowed to board early.

Things I am glad I did /had (thus far):
1) car seat cover
2) really nice stroller with space to help transport
3) we did a car seat clinic to learn about how to install our car seat properly. Since we keep moving it from car to car this has been super valuable.
4) we are shipping the presents home

Things I would do differently:
1) remember my nursing cover (I think it's in our car)
2) I would try to limit the carry on items more. It is really hard to carry a backpack, diaper bag and an infant through the small airplane cabin. And carrying the stroller and car seat to the end is so hard with your husbands hands already loaded.

Things I learned
1) some small regional jets do not have extra oxygen masks on both sides of the plane. We were in 6A and 6B initially, but those seats were on the wrong side of the plane. We were then sent to the very back. We did get a coupon from delta to use in a future flight and were upgraded for our last flight.
2) my family is amazing. We were all together for Christmas. Baby Girl sleeps 3-4 hours at a stretch overnight. While I am tired, I am not exhausted. We spent time together and I would not change that for anything.
3) my grandmother was so happy to meet the baby. She smiled and stared at her the first day. The second day, she wanted the baby next to her. I placed the sleeping baby next to her. She then kissed and snuggled with her head (the only part she can move). Those pictures (I will upload when I get home) and memories mean so much to me.
4) people want to meet the baby. My great aunt came from NC and visited with my grandmother and the baby. I was so happy to have her visit with my grandmother (her sister) and it really had my grandmother light up.

We just finished the second plane ride. Baby slept the whole time (again). I will update more at the end of the trip, but wanted to share the current status.

The agent shouldn't have been rude, but she was right. And it isn't an airline rule, it is an FAA. Legally, only children under two can be lap children (again, not a rule made by the airline) and the airline can be heavily fined if they cannot show that they had proof that all lap children met the age requirement. As a PP noted, the baby's "shot card" would work as well or registration of birth (if you do that where you are).

Congrats OP - enjoy your first Christmas with your wee one!

I've flown with ds half a dozen times and have never once been asked for his birth certificate. I'm on another board and a poster asked about this and only one person out of a couple dozen had been asked for it once.

I have brought it with me each time just in case.

Mid-trip update:

Baby girl arrived December 7th naturally and came out without complications at 6lbs 12 oz. she got a clean check up before leaving and was above her birthweight on December 15.

We made it to Cincinnati on the first airplane when she was 12 days old. The TSA was very helpful. We were greatly helped through security and u carried her through easily. We were allowed to board early.

Things I am glad I did /had (thus far):
1) car seat cover
2) really nice stroller with space to help transport
3) we did a car seat clinic to learn about how to install our car seat properly. Since we keep moving it from car to car this has been super valuable.
4) we are shipping the presents home

Things I would do differently:
1) remember my nursing cover (I think it's in our car)
2) I would try to limit the carry on items more. It is really hard to carry a backpack, diaper bag and an infant through the small airplane cabin. And carrying the stroller and car seat to the end is so hard with your husbands hands already loaded.

Things I learned
1) some small regional jets do not have extra oxygen masks on both sides of the plane. We were in 6A and 6B initially, but those seats were on the wrong side of the plane. We were then sent to the very back. We did get a coupon from delta to use in a future flight and were upgraded for our last flight.
2) my family is amazing. We were all together for Christmas. Baby Girl sleeps 3-4 hours at a stretch overnight. While I am tired, I am not exhausted. We spent time together and I would not change that for anything.
3) my grandmother was so happy to meet the baby. She smiled and stared at her the first day. The second day, she wanted the baby next to her. I placed the sleeping baby next to her. She then kissed and snuggled with her head (the only part she can move). Those pictures (I will upload when I get home) and memories mean so much to me.
4) people want to meet the baby. My great aunt came from NC and visited with my grandmother and the baby. I was so happy to have her visit with my grandmother (her sister) and it really had my grandmother light up.

We just finished the second plane ride. Baby slept the whole time (again). I will update more at the end of the trip, but wanted to share the current status.

So nice to hear you are having a great trip, wishing you continued safe travels!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter