Traveling with a Newborn

I stand corrected by Google. It looks like a birth certificate is needed by airlines for proof of age

OP, check this. I can assure you that it is highly unlikely one will be available in time. And yes, some airlines can be a bit jerky for children who are no doubt under the age of 2. Have don't heard with newborns. But you do need to check. (Failure to have documentation is not often covered by trip insurance.)

I stand corrected by Google. It looks like a birth certificate is needed by airlines for proof of age

Generally, only if you are taking them as a lap baby (i.e. not buying them a seat) and it is to show that they are under two-years-old.

Air Canada says that they have to be at least seven days old, so they'd need a birth certificate for a very wee baby. West Jet just says to check with your doctor, so they wouldn't need proof that the baby was over a certain age.

My daughter was born last summer. I think this is a terrible idea.

I pumped exclusively for the first six weeks until my daughter latched. Pumping and feeding was a 60-90 minute process every three hours during the day and every four hours at night until she latched. It was overwhelming dealing with this at home.

We were in the hospital for four days, then at the pediatrician's office every day for a week for jaundice, then there often the next few weeks for weight checks. I also had weekly visits with IBCLCs to fix our latch issues.

I wouldn't travel with a baby that small. She won't even have vaccinations yet. If she does get something and runs a fever, she would be admitted to the hospital and have a spinal tap.

Also, bringing formula for convenience is a sure-fire way to damage your supply right when you are establishing it. So is introducing a bottle.

I traveled (drove) when my baby was 3 weeks. It was hard, but fine. I had a 15 month old and a 3 week old and my husband had a trip planned and we tagged along. If it had just been me and the baby I wouldn't have batted an eye. At that point we had pretty much gotten the hang of breast feeding and even though she was up every hour, I could have napped (it was the older one who prevented that. )
When this same child was 6 weeks we flew from FL to NJ and had NO ISSUES AT ALL. I put her in the wrap and nursed her as needed. She slept the whole way. I actually had a few minutes to read! My parents had a car seat, playpen and stroller so we didn't need to bring any of that. I did bring ten diapers for our two hour flight and three outfits. I wanted to be prepared in case we were delayed.
Oh, if you are going to a dry climate drink more water. I was always so dehydrated at my parents it affected my supply.
Have fun. You'll be fine!

What trip insurance did you buy that had "changed your mind" coverage? Most trip insurance plans do not cover pre-existing conditions, which your pregnancy obviously is.

Some travel insurance companies offer a "cancel for any reason" policy (of course more expensive than a regular policy) so this is probably the type of policy the OP bought.

That said, and the OP did say to call her crazy...so... there is no way I would take an infant that young on a plane at Christmas time. As others have said, what if the baby is 2 weeks late (she said due date was the 4th), what if OP has to have a C-section, etc. and it is most definitely cold and flu season. I would feel so guilty if I took my infant on a plane and exposed him/her to people who were sick and then the baby became ill as well. To me, nothing would be more important than keeping my baby healthy and doing everything I could to ensure that.

Does your pediatrician say it's ok?

Both of mine were born in October and my pediatrician said no traveling for 8 weeks after they were born.
Somthing about their immune system not being fully developed. And they would have their first shots by then too I think.

Granted this was 19 years ago so I know things change.

If you are determined to do it, I'd use a carrier that was attached to you and make sure you have a couple of changes of baby clothes and a change of shirts for each parent on the plane.
Lots of extra diapers and wipes too although there isn't really a place to change a baby on an airplane you'll need them when you are in the airport.
If you are nursing, do so during take off and landing - same if you are doing the bottle.

That's about all of my advice - good luck OP!

Policies may be different here (Canada) but for flying domestically does your infant need a passport? Here they do I believe, even for domestic flights. Would you even have enough time to get a passport if it's needed?

Passports are not required for any US citizen flying domestically in the US-only some form of state issued ID, driver's license usually, for people 18 and older.

Passports are not required for any US citizen flying domestically in the US-only some form of state issued ID, driver's license usually, for people 18 and older.

They aren't required for any Canadian citizen flying domestically either. Actually, I assume that they aren't required for anyone flying domestically within Canada (no matter their nationality). Non-residents might use them as they are less likely to have other valid ID.

They aren't required for any Canadian citizen flying domestically either. Actually, I assume that they aren't required for anyone flying domestically within Canada (no matter their nationality). Non-residents might use them as they are less likely to have other valid ID.
y

I had my information wrong, I guess you learn something new everyday ;).

I haven't seen this said yet, but a really liked nursing tops. That can provide easier access on a plane and certain designs can provide coverage as well.

I flew with my first at 4 weeks. I didn't have any problem nursing.

Does your pediatrician say it's ok?

Both of mine were born in October and my pediatrician said no traveling for 8 weeks after they were born.
Somthing about their immune system not being fully developed. And they would have their first shots by then too I think.

Granted this was 19 years ago so I know things change.

If you are determined to do it, I'd use a carrier that was attached to you and make sure you have a couple of changes of baby clothes and a change of shirts for each parent on the plane.
Lots of extra diapers and wipes too although there isn't really a place to change a baby on an airplane you'll need them when you are in the airport.
If you are nursing, do so during take off and landing - same if you are doing the bottle.

That's about all of my advice - good luck OP!

She said her pediatrician said it was ok.

Mine did not advise getting out with the baby for 6 weeks.

The thing about being a parent is that YOU get to decide;).
Would I do it.....not in a million years but it's not my child.
A few thoughts:
Consider, if the doctor gives you the choice of inducing, doing so to prevent you being a week or more over due and the baby even younger. Do everything safely possible to avoid a C-Section.

Call the airline and talk to a supervisor and find out if you need a birth certificate to prove your child is both old enough to fly, AND under two if you do not buy a ticket. I know the later is crazy but some airlines require proof for every baby....no exceptions. Ask him or her to email you the response in case you have issue at boarding.

Think through buying her a seat. She is soooo much safer, but you can not nurse her on take off or landing. We choose to not take our boys as lap babies but you get to decide.

Ask your doctor for a pediatrician at both locations that you can contact if she gets sick. Newborns can get very sick very fast and ANY fever is serious.

Use a carrier instead of a stroller and do not allow anyone to touch her during travel.....yes....strangers will try to touch your baby!

Thumbs up for nursing.....that might be your saving grace!!!

Be prepared for the family.
Will you let everyone hold the baby?
What if little cousins come sick to a get together?

Don't forget you are flying into the North East in Winter....prepare for delays.

Prayers for your grandmother and that you all can have a wonderful visit.

If you do this I would definitely get the extra seat - even if you don't plan to put the baby in it. You will be able to have extra carry ons that way. Believe me the first few times you travel with a baby you will feel like a pack horse!

Generally only as proof of age for a lap infant. The other issue is that every airline has a different policy. Southwest requires that the parent shows up at the airport counter to request a boarding document for the lap infant, along with proof of age. Other airlines require that the passenger call ahead, and reserve the right to ask to see proof of age but don't mandate it.

Also - they really just want proof of age, even if they say "birth certificate". My wife took our kid on Southwest as a lap infant. I specifically called them up and asked if a US passport card would be suitable, and was told that a passport, passport card, or state-issued ID would be acceptable if it included date of birth. My wife had no issue using it.

My daughter was born last summer. I think this is a terrible idea.

I pumped exclusively for the first six weeks until my daughter latched. Pumping and feeding was a 60-90 minute process every three hours during the day and every four hours at night until she latched. It was overwhelming dealing with this at home.

We were in the hospital for four days, then at the pediatrician's office every day for a week for jaundice, then there often the next few weeks for weight checks. I also had weekly visits with IBCLCs to fix our latch issues.

I wouldn't travel with a baby that small. She won't even have vaccinations yet. If she does get something and runs a fever, she would be admitted to the hospital and have a spinal tap.

Also, bringing formula for convenience is a sure-fire way to damage your supply right when you are establishing it. So is introducing a bottle.
If you are choosing to travel with an infant who is so young, you better have a source of food available. If you want to establish a healthy nursing relationship, perhaps travelling is not in your best interest. ;)

A few thought. Consider, if the doctor gives you the choice of inducing, doing so to prevent you being a week or more over due and the baby even younger. Do everything safely possible to avoid a C-Section. Call the airline and talk to a supervisor and find out if you need a birth certificate to prove your child is both old enough to fly, AND under two if you do not buy a ticket. I know the later is crazy but some airlines require proof for every baby....no exceptions. Ask him or her to email you the response in case you have issue at boarding. Think through buying her a seat. She is soooo much safer, but you can not nurse her on take off or landing. We choose to not take our boys as lap babies but you get to decide. Ask your doctor for a pediatrician at both locations that you can contact if she gets sick. Newborns can get very sick very fast and ANY fever is serious. Use a carrier instead of a stroller and do not allow anyone to touch her during travel.....yes....strangers will try to touch your baby! Thumbs up for nursing.....that might be your saving grace!!! Be prepared for the family. Will you let everyone hold the baby? What if little cousins come sick to a get together? Don't forget you are flying into the North East in Winter....prepare for delays. Prayers for your grandmother and that you all can have a wonderful visit.

Lots of advice and opinions on this topic.

First, We really thought this through before purchasing the trip in June and over half of the price was covered by family as me and my husband's birthday present from my mom. If the baby has jaundice or any medical issues then the insurance would cover the whole trip cancellation. We shopped around a lot and stumbled into these flights at a great deal.

We have brought up the travel with my OBGYN from month 3. She is on board for inducing to make sure the baby meets the airline flight requirements. The baby will be out by December 12 so it is 7 days old at a minimum (Delta's requirement).

I plan to avoid a c section unless it is medically necessary. My whole maternal line has given birth ******lly so I hope it is in my genes. Of course if the baby need to come out to keep me and it alive, then yes... Do the c section.

The pediatrician is on board for travel and is willing to field calls. She also suggested seeing a pediatrician where we are if we have any concerns that she can't help with over the phone. I know my best friends dad is a doctor and has done pediatric patients in the past, so I will have them lined up. Only thing the pediatrician recommended was to leave the baby cover on the plane the whole time if possible.

I do need to find out what we need to get the baby on the plane. The birth certificate will not be ready. (Great thought everyone! BRAVO everyone. )

I have no little cousins where I am going. The little cousins are actually here in Texas. The youngest person I will be interacting with is 13 and he will have just had major major brain surgery (November 13) for epilepsy. He will not be up for holding the baby. His family may not even be over more than once or twice depending on his recovery.

We do not need to pack any big baby things other than the car seat, and stroller. We have a pack and play with bassinet insert in Ohio, and a bassinet and swing in NY. We do want to bring baby's rocker/bouncer for comfort and as a place to put it down. I also plan to ask local Ohio friends to borrow a swing for that week so the baby has a swing.

One other thing people might not realize is that I will have more help in Ohio than I would have in Texas. My husband and I live far from all family. The closest extended family is over 4 hours away. By going to Ohio, I will actually be able to rest, get help with feeding diapering and all the new daily activities. If I stayed in Texas, it would be my husband and I alone without help. Yes, it will be hard. Yes, I may not be social. Yes I will sleep at all hours of the day. And yes, my mom is OK and understands.

In an ideal world, my grandmother would not be dying and I would not have the overwhelming urge to need to go see her one last time. She lost 8 pounds in the past 2 weeks. She may not even make it till Christmas. Her mind is going fast. She has trouble talking. She hallucinates, and has days where she is inconsolable. She has little interest in things that had brought her pleasure (like movies). Between the Parkinson's and the quadriplegic accident, she is deteriorating. One of my bigger fears is that she will die while I can't fly because of the pregnancy. I just hope to have one last visit with her and introduce her to her Great Grandchild.

I do read all the comments here and am creating a to-do list and packing list. Lots of great ideas. Thanks for all the advice and comments.

A doctor will induce a baby to meet flight requirements?

I have now officially heard it all on the DISboards....

Terri

A doctor will induce a baby to meet flight requirements?

I have now officially heard it all on the DISboards....

Terri

Given that the baby is due Dec. 4th, inducing by Dec. 12th isn't all that big of a deal. Odds are they'd start recommending induction at that point anyway.

Given that the baby is due Dec. 4th, inducing by Dec. 12th isn't all that big of a deal. Odds are they'd start recommending induction at that point anyway.

Oh I didn't make that connection. Whew!

OP you really seem to have thought of everything otherwise. Just expect the unexpected and enjoy your family time.

Terri

With my personal experience with my first birth it would have been a no go. He ended up being an early bird. Lol. Poor guy was stuck in the nicu for two weeks and I was in pretty rough shape. ******l delivery but extremely rough recovery, i couldnt do much for about three weeks. Once he was released from the nicu, other than appointments, we weren't to have him around the public at all for another four weeks. Breastfeeding never got very established, we tried for five months but I had to pump the whole time.

My second son it would have been extremely easy to travel with. I would have had to bring the pump for feeding and it probably would be inconvenient but possible. He was a little early but the dr only said to keep him covered and he could go most anywhere as soon as he was released. My recovery was fairly easy and within a week or so I was back to 90%.

My only advice is take it slow. Every birth is different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter