Traveling with a friend with a disability

Kaitlan Louviere

Earning My Ears
Hi!

My best friend happens to have cerebral palsy and uses a walker in every day life. We are currently planning a trip to Disney World and want to add in a day or two at Universal because we're both huge Harry Potter fans. My concern is us getting to Universal from a WDW hotel. My experience with Uber on my last disney trip left a bad taste in my mouth (driver claimed he couldn't find us at Pop Century/was EXTREMELY rude) and I'm even concerned that the Uber driver will not be that nice about us loading a walker or a scooter into the car. Should we think about renting a car for the day or so we go to Universal? and then if we do rent will we be able to park in Handicap (sometimes if we go in my car my friend will leave her mobility impaired ID in the windshield, and I didn't get a ticket). Also I've never been to Universal so how are they in regards to disability? Any advise on how my friend and I can get to and from Universal and Disney would be extremely helpful! Thanks!

I can't speak to transportation specifically (except that I would personally probably not use Uber with a scooter). If your friend has a handicap parking placard you can park in the handicap section.

I will comment on Universal in general. My husband uses an ECV when we travel to theme parks and having extensive experience with Disney, we were surprised at how non user-friendly Universal was. The biggest change is that you cannot bring an ECV into any ride queue except for the Hogwarts Express. There are transfer wheelchairs available to use in the queues if you can’t stand or walk for that long but you have to ask for them. They are not out in the open like they are at Disney. Our experience has been that the cast members at Universal are not as helpful (or friendly) at answering questions about navigating the parks in an ECV a disability as the ones at Disney.

But, you will love the Harry Potter lands and it’s well worth a trip over!

I found Universal overall to not be as user friendly as disney for guests with disabilities. when we applied for their version of the guest assistance pass the CM basically called me a liar and refused to give one. then she didn't want to give us a stroller as wheelchair tag for the adaptive stroller either, basically had to beg for that. the streets in the harry potter area are cobbled which looks pretty but makes for a bumpy wheelchair ride; not sure how that would be with a walker. the shops in the harry potter area are neat to explore, but very small and very crowded, almost impossible to navigate with my daughters chair. it sounds as though your friends CP isn't too severe, but depending on how bad it is you should know that a lot of the rides at Universal require the rider to be able to have good upper body control and be able to hold on with both hands. even with handicapped parking or being dropped off, it is a really long walk to get to the main entrance. we always rent a car so i'm not sure about other options. when we went we just brought the handicapped placard to use in the rental, but if she has permanent tags instead of a placard I wonder if universal has a medical/courtesy lot like disney does?. one time we forgot the placard and disney allowed us to park in the medical/courtesy lot, which was the lot right next to the handicapped lot and still pretty close to the front. I"m not sure if universal has a similar lot, but maybe some one else on here might know.

I think you should try the ambulette service. It is the best transport for wheelchair bound people.

Mears do offer transport with wheelchair access if you contact them to arrange in advance and I've always found them reliable. As said Universal I don't find as disabled friendly as Disney and the walk from the car park to the parks alone is huge!

Mears is the company. I believe You can arrange for it in advance.

Enjoy your vacation!
Yes this is the one I was thinking of

they do have an accessible van ( the person in the wheelchair loads in the back where the ramp comes down they drive straight on and then straight off there is no back seat and with the wheelchair is not much trunk space at all) not sure if the ECV would be too long but most can be taken apart and loaded back there, You can call there number at 885-463-2776(885-4 mears now) ( they are a national service and serve other states and cities too) I did look and to go from EPCOT to universal is $36.04 one way. I would call a day ahead of time and let them know you need an accessible van ( and then if it is an ECV or a wheelchair) and what time you would like to be picked up, they are right on time when I used them ( maybe a minute off but very close) and got us to where we needed to go, if you find out you do not need the accessible one ( like if you can just load the ECV in the back of a van then they are normally parked outside the hotels during normal hours ( like 8ish in the morning) and bell service can flag one down for you but I would probably call the day before and then an hour or two before you want to leave universal that day.

i
Hi!

My best friend happens to have cerebral palsy and uses a walker in every day life. We are currently planning a trip to Disney World and want to add in a day or two at Universal because we're both huge Harry Potter fans. My concern is us getting to Universal from a WDW hotel. My experience with Uber on my last disney trip left a bad taste in my mouth (driver claimed he couldn't find us at Pop Century/was EXTREMELY rude) and I'm even concerned that the Uber driver will not be that nice about us loading a walker or a scooter into the car. Should we think about renting a car for the day or so we go to Universal? and then if we do rent will we be able to park in Handicap (sometimes if we go in my car my friend will leave her mobility impaired ID in the windshield, and I didn't get a ticket). Also I've never been to Universal so how are they in regards to disability? Any advise on how my friend and I can get to and from Universal and Disney would be extremely helpful! Thanks![/QUOTE if you decide to rent a car and your friend does not need to leave her hang tag on a car at airport be sure she brings it along with you. that way you can use the handicapped parking area

Unless the vans they use have shrunk, yes, you can fit an assembled ECV in the back.
Good to know the time I use one with my friend was a year ago for a run Disney event so very early and I was tired so did not pay much attention to how much room was in the back.

You may want to book a higher end hotel at Universal for a night or two. With the higher end hotels fast passes are included

Good to know the time I use one with my friend was a year ago for a run Disney event so very early and I was tired so did not pay much attention to how much room was in the back.
Yeah, the one time I ride in one, the ECV and I were in the back, and my new friends were in the "shotgun" seat and the second row.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter