• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Traveling with 3 under 5

webcreatrix

DIS Veteran
I'm the gramma, so it's been a minute since traveling to Disney with littles and for my kids' first trip they were 4 and 6. I am thinking of taking my daughter, SIL, and grandbabies (1, 3, 4) to Disneyland or World next year. I'm well traveled to both locations and can see pros and cons of either. I have the following options, with a wide range of costs, but really want to know which seems like less hassle with small children?
  1. Drive to FL from TX by myself (16 hours) with strollers, car seats, etc and fly daughter and family in. We could stay offsite to have more space and would have my vehicle, a Highlander that seats 7.
  2. All fly to FL, but keep the trip short and stay in a deluxe hotel or Skyliner route. Maybe just visit MK and EPCOT or AK? I'll need a place to hang out during naps or quiet time.
  3. All fly to CA, stay off site and do the parks for 3 days. Smaller foot print, can walk everywhere.

It's kind of counter-intuitive, but with little kids I always say to make whatever budget cuts you need to in order to take as long of a trip as possible. No matter how much you say to yourself "we can take it easy, we don't have to see and do everything," inevitably there will be pressure to see and do everything. If you're able to go for a longer stay, you'll be able to see and do everything while still maintaining a slow, relaxing pace.

It's kind of counter-intuitive, but with little kids I always say to make whatever budget cuts you need to in order to take as long of a trip as possible. No matter how much you say to yourself "we can take it easy, we don't have to see and do everything," inevitably there will be pressure to see and do everything. If you're able to go for a longer stay, you'll be able to see and do everything while still maintaining a slow, relaxing pace.

Thank you! I have kind of been thinking the same. Like, if we stay in the condo and have a car for a week, we could do some more low key activities outside of the parks.

I own a condo off-site in Kissimmee; I have brought countless friends and family to Disney World over the years and my chief problem with that condo ( which is at the Vistana and only 2 miles from gate) is that NOBODY ever wants to move fast enough to get out of the door in the mornings. We usually waste an incredible amount of time lingering over breakfast, and no matter how clear we are on agreeing to leave apt at a specific time, it never happens. I can't seem to get them organized to move! not funny when you've spent a fortune on tickets and the day is ticking away. I'm not a drill sergeant either! I find that with little ones, and you'll have 3!!! --its so much easier all around to be as close to the parks as possible. Ideally, Bay Lake towers would be a great idea - there's room to spread out, there's a kitchen, and you can easily get to MK and Epcot. ( and you can close the bedroom door when the screaming begins!) I say this after struggling with strollers, and diaper bags, and trying to fold them up to fit in the trunk, or worse yet fold them up to get on the parking lot tram ( if it ever starts running again!) Using the monorail -no problem; children don't need to get out of stroller. Or, you can conveniently walk to MK and return for naps. I've also had some nasty experiences trying to get children into a car that's been sitting in the hot Florida sun all day. When one of the little ones has had too much sun, or candy, or is just plain cranky, and you need to leave the parks, it's wouldn't be a major hassle, possibly not everyone in your party would have to leave. If you're staying off-site, it's more than likely that you'll leave as a group. If you choose Disneyland, I'd suggest the Howard Johnson hotel right across the street from park. They have a mini waterplay area for little children, and it's so easy to just walk down the street and cross over to park and at a much cheaper cost than the Disney resorts. they also have rooms that are larger than regular rooms. Or you could splurge and stay at a Disney resort there, maybe Grand Californian DVC?

I own a condo off-site in Kissimmee; I have brought countless friends and family to Disney World over the years and my chief problem with that condo ( which is at the Vistana and only 2 miles from gate) is that NOBODY ever wants to move fast enough to get out of the door in the mornings. We usually waste an incredible amount of time lingering over breakfast, and no matter how clear we are on agreeing to leave apt at a specific time, it never happens. I can't seem to get them organized to move! not funny when you've spent a fortune on tickets and the day is ticking away. I'm not a drill sergeant either! I find that with little ones, and you'll have 3!!! --its so much easier all around to be as close to the parks as possible. Ideally, Bay Lake towers would be a great idea - there's room to spread out, there's a kitchen, and you can easily get to MK and Epcot. ( and you can close the bedroom door when the screaming begins!) I say this after struggling with strollers, and diaper bags, and trying to fold them up to fit in the trunk, or worse yet fold them up to get on the parking lot tram ( if it ever starts running again!) Using the monorail -no problem; children don't need to get out of stroller. Or, you can conveniently walk to MK and return for naps. I've also had some nasty experiences trying to get children into a car that's been sitting in the hot Florida sun all day. When one of the little ones has had too much sun, or candy, or is just plain cranky, and you need to leave the parks, it's wouldn't be a major hassle, possibly not everyone in your party would have to leave. If you're staying off-site, it's more than likely that you'll leave as a group. If you choose Disneyland, I'd suggest the Howard Johnson hotel right across the street from park. They have a mini waterplay area for little children, and it's so easy to just walk down the street and cross over to park and at a much cheaper cost than the Disney resorts. they also have rooms that are larger than regular rooms. Or you could splurge and stay at a Disney resort there, maybe Grand Californian DVC?
I think all of this is great advice and kind of how I was leaning. My 18 yo and I did a short trip in May and stayed at the Swan and just loved the convenience. I also had a AAA discount. I could consider renting DVC, too. I think Disney moderates would be too small. Maybe even a cabin at FW?

I own a condo off-site in Kissimmee; I have brought countless friends and family to Disney World over the years and my chief problem with that condo ( which is at the Vistana and only 2 miles from gate) is that NOBODY ever wants to move fast enough to get out of the door in the mornings. We usually waste an incredible amount of time lingering over breakfast, and no matter how clear we are on agreeing to leave apt at a specific time, it never happens. I can't seem to get them organized to move!

YES! I bribed my family to get up with Dunkin' Donuts. Condo is definitely a bit more lingering and I like the idee of multiple travel options and the ability to split up if needed.

This is hard because everyone values different things on their trip. I personally like staying on site and would make budget cuts to make that happen. It’s easier if people want to split up and if the kids need a mid-day break. I can’t imagine going back to an off-site condo for a break and ever returning to the parks that day.

Could you drive and do an on-site hotel? You could do two rooms at Pop or a Ft. Wilderness cabin so the adults have space while the kids sleep.

I'm the gramma, so it's been a minute since traveling to Disney with littles and for my kids' first trip they were 4 and 6. I am thinking of taking my daughter, SIL, and grandbabies (1, 3, 4) to Disneyland or World next year. I'm well traveled to both locations and can see pros and cons of either. I have the following options, with a wide range of costs, but really want to know which seems like less hassle with small children?
  1. Drive to FL from TX by myself (16 hours) with strollers, car seats, etc and fly daughter and family in. We could stay offsite to have more space and would have my vehicle, a Highlander that seats 7.
  2. All fly to FL, but keep the trip short and stay in a deluxe hotel or Skyliner route. Maybe just visit MK and EPCOT or AK? I'll need a place to hang out during naps or quiet time.
  3. All fly to CA, stay off site and do the parks for 3 days. Smaller foot print, can walk everywhere.

• Driving FL to TX (16 hr) - that's a long drive for 1 person. Honestly, I think this is your worst option. Staying off site will result in it taking a lot longer to get to the parks each day. And it eliminates the option for 1 of the adults to take a cranky little one back to the room in the afternoon while others stay in the parks.
  • All flying to FL - skip staying in a deluxe hotel. Stay at AoA in a family suite. It'll give you a place to hand out during naps or quiet time.
  • All flying to CA - given the age group of the grand children, I think you should go with this one. Closest hotels are Best Western Park Place Inn, Tropicana, and Park Vue Inn. 2 of those include free breakfast, which will save you some money. It's a 5 min walk (i.e., closer than walking from the Disneyland Hotel!) to the esplanade from any of those 3 hotels. Get park hopper tickets for sure. Easiest option for the little ones who need to nap.

I can't comment about Disneyland, but if you choose DW instead, I'll give you my perspective with little kids. They are gonna need a break and if you go to a place off-site, the chance of returning with everyone again would be slim. It's a lot to pack and repack with kids. You will have 3 adults and 3 kids so at least it's not all on 1 person. I would go for on-site hotel and strategize what parks are near that resort. Someone already mentioned Bay Lake and that would be very convenient for the stroller situation and naps. Lesser expensive hotels are also great for the room size and different options; however, most require the bus which requires folding up the strollers.

Something in the Boardwalk area would also be great because you could walk or take the boats to Epcot or HS. Much easier to get back take a break and actually go back to parks later.

As for flying, we never have had an issue with our kids, but we never went with a 1 year old. 2 was the youngest. Most recently it was 3 and 7 and we are going through a tantrum stage with the youngest. It actually turned out fine even with masks staying on, etc.

Good luck and have fun!

• Driving FL to TX (16 hr) - that's a long drive for 1 person. Honestly, I think this is your worst option. Staying off site will result in it taking a lot longer to get to the parks each day. And it eliminates the option for 1 of the adults to take a cranky little one back to the room in the afternoon while others stay in the parks.
  • All flying to FL - skip staying in a deluxe hotel. Stay at AoA in a family suite. It'll give you a place to hand out during naps or quiet time.
  • All flying to CA - given the age group of the grand children, I think you should go with this one. Closest hotels are Best Western Park Place Inn, Tropicana, and Park Vue Inn. 2 of those include free breakfast, which will save you some money. It's a 5 min walk (i.e., closer than walking from the Disneyland Hotel!) to the esplanade from any of those 3 hotels. Get park hopper tickets for sure. Easiest option for the little ones who need to nap.
I realized me driving by myself would save $0. I do like Disneyland as an option the most right now. We have stayed at the Best Western before.

I can't comment about Disneyland, but if you choose DW instead, I'll give you my perspective with little kids. They are gonna need a break and if you go to a place off-site, the chance of returning with everyone again would be slim. It's a lot to pack and repack with kids. You will have 3 adults and 3 kids so at least it's not all on 1 person. I would go for on-site hotel and strategize what parks are near that resort. Someone already mentioned Bay Lake and that would be very convenient for the stroller situation and naps. Lesser expensive hotels are also great for the room size and different options; however, most require the bus which requires folding up the strollers.

Something in the Boardwalk area would also be great because you could walk or take the boats to Epcot or HS. Much easier to get back take a break and actually go back to parks later.

As for flying, we never have had an issue with our kids, but we never went with a 1 year old. 2 was the youngest. Most recently it was 3 and 7 and we are going through a tantrum stage with the youngest. It actually turned out fine even with masks staying on, etc.

Good luck and have fun!
Thank you! I am definitely leaning towards options with easy travel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter