Traveling with 3 adults and 2 kids - Can you book a room for 3, but sleep 4

hockeygoofy

Earning My Ears
We are planning our next disney cruise and we are a family of 4 (2 adults and 2 kids) and my sister in-law will be joining us on this trip (total 3 adults and 2 kids). We plan to get our usual family verandah for the 4 of us and an ocean view for my sister in-law. If we book 4 in the family room and 1 in the other the total is $500 more than if we did 3 (family) and 2 (ocean). I assume this is due to the up charge for a single adult traveler alone in one room. If we book it as 3 and 2 will there be any problem with Disney if the 2 kids never sleep in the room with my sister in-law but stays with us each night in the family suite? Will they put the bunk bed down each night and make the two beds in the family suite? Just trying to reduce the portion my sister in-law has to pay, and $500 would be a big savings for her.

Just make sure that the family verandah you book has at least 1 additional bed; not all staterooms in that category have beds for 5 guests. All will sleep 3 guests, some sleep 4, and some sleep 5.

Also be aware that the child booked with SIL will need to attend muster drill with SIL. You might want to book SIL + 1 adult to the oceanview, and 1 adult + 2 kids in the family verandah room so the kids are assured to be with a parent for muster and in the event of an emergency.

DCL doesn't really care who sleeps where, just be sure to tell the respective stateroom hosts (and I'd add some extra tip to the family verandah room if it's a different host).

Enjoy your cruise!

You can make the sleeping arrangements any way you like, DCL does not mind who ends up sleeping where. We did a similar thing a few weeks ago.Your room steward will make up the beds any way you like, all you have to do is let them know what you wish. You'd have to make sure though all the rooms have the number of beds you'd like; I had to make sure through my TA, bc one of the rooms we picked did not have an upper berth. The only other thing you'd have to ensure is that there may be forms to fill out if you are listing your children in a room with your sister, who is not their parent. And when leaving the ship on port days, there is a form to fill out that allows adults not in the same room to leave the ship with the minor staying in the room with them. It will all work out; Have a great time!

You might want to book SIL + 1 adult to the oceanview, and 1 adult + 2 kids in the family verandah room so the kids are assured to be with a parent for muster and in the event of an emergency.

@hockeygoofy This may actually work out cheaper as well to book the way lanejudy suggests here.

ETA: It would be cheapest to have the highest number of people in the lowest category room, so what I wrote may not be true and may be more difficult for you to arrange anyhow. But we saved a few hundred dollars by doing so.

Last edited:

@hockeygoofy This may actually work out cheaper as well to book the way lanejudy suggests here.

ETA: It would be cheapest to have the highest number of people in the lowest category room, so what I wrote may not be true and may be more difficult for you to arrange anyhow. But we saved a few hundred dollars by doing so.
She could do Dad and one child in the verandah room and SIL, Mom and one child in the Oceanview. That way, each child is with a parent in the event of an emergency; she gets 3 in the cheaper oceanview and can still sleep in the verandah room with her family (assuming the verandah will hold 4 people.).

She could do Dad and one child in the verandah room and SIL, Mom and one child in the Oceanview. That way, each child is with a parent in the event of an emergency; she gets 3 in the cheaper oceanview and can still sleep in the verandah room with her family (assuming the verandah will hold 4 people.).

Definitely. But if her ultimate goal is to have four sleep in the verandah, she needs to make sure it is not a 7A, they only sleep 3. A good TA can help her out.

When I was trying to figure out which rooms would sleep 4 I found the easiest way was to search rooms as if we had 4, before changing it back to 3 for the official booking.

I thought of doing this to have one of our kids "stay" with our father-in-law who will be by himself. However, we are in a concierge room, so I assume that might make it harder as the youngest son wouldn't be allowed in the concierge lounge so to speak.

That said, our five year old wouldn't be going to the lounge by himself anyway, so maybe he could enter with one of us. How do they distinguish concierge for the lounge, is it your key or are you wearing something different?

@abuck75 Concierge does add a level of complexity to the situation. To specifically answer your question: the KTTW cards are different plus the concierge hosts quickly get to know who is and who is not booked Concierge. Technically the 5-yr-old shouldn't use the lounge even if entering with a parent; whether they would allow it or not would be up to the concierge staff. But I also wanted to point out that if not booked in the Concierge room, the child also would not be invited/allowed to any special character greets for Concierge, or any other special perks that might be given out. They set that rule so people won't book 2 guests in Concierge and the rest of the family/extended family in a regular stateroom for less but expect everyone to have Concierge benefits. You will have to decide what is most important to your whole traveling party -- helping FIL with cost by having someone booked with him or keeping your nuclear family intact for concierge benefits.

Enjoy your cruise!

Also be aware that the child booked with SIL will need to attend muster drill with SIL. You might want to book SIL + 1 adult to the oceanview, and 1 adult + 2 kids in the family verandah room so the kids are assured to be with a parent for muster and in the event of an emergency.
This is a great idea, we'll have to remember this arrangement for our next cruise

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter