Travel w/ Minors who are not your own Children Vancouver to US

abayaflowers

DIS Veteran
Hi, Everyone: I wanted to share important tips for those traveling back into the US from Canada, because we had an awful experience returning to the US from Vancouver from our Alaska cruise. Please note that these views do not represent those in the party. It represents an exhausted mom trying to get her family of 4 and her DD15's best-friend back into the country.
  • Disney Wonder did not have Canadian dollars. So, remember to bring enough to pay the taxi or private transportation.
  • If it's raining in Vancouver, have big luggage, and trying to get to the Airport, Do Not take the bus. On June 13th, we were stuck on Robson St. and Denman St. in the rain waiting as 6 full buses passed us up. We returned to our hotel, Times Square Suites Hotel, and called two van taxis (they were orange). Note that the van taxis can legally take maximum of 4 people. We had 5 large hard case luggages and 5 carry-on luggages. The fare was CAD$35, but we gave CAD$40. It took one van taxi 20 mins. and our took 30 mins. to get to the airport
    • We woke up at 5 a.m., stretched, showered, had breakfast, tea, coffee, and last minute packing.
    • We walked out the door of the hotel @ 7:45 a.m. and arrived at the bus stop at 7:55 a.m.
  • Allow at least 3 hours prior to your boarding time. We took Alaska Airlines
    • We had to go to the counter to get our luggage tags and boarding passes.
    • Remember to go to the machine, scan your passport or enter your last name, flight#, or credit card at the machines to get your boarding pass and tickets. Once you have them, stand in line to drop it off with the ticket agent who will scan it in.
    • Ours did not work and didn't recognize my daughter's passport; so, we cancelled that machine process and stood in line. There's only one person at the podium so this is one of the reasons why to allow enough time.
    • Their weighing machines were on the floor; so, don't step on it. Our Alaskan rep. was super nice and helpful; and mentioned that the machines were very glitchy.
    • Then, you take it to the baggage shoot.
    • Have your passports ready for each member with their boarding pass.
    • Someone will check each passport and boarding pass before your go through security.
    • Place your phone, laptop, shoes, sweaters, watches, liquids in a bin.
    • Place your carry on in a bin. Do not place your passport and boarding pass in the bin (I did this and the agent did not let me go through to retrieve it. I had to wait. They pulled my DD18 DD15's best-friend and I through the body scanner. They said it was a random pick. I think it was related to the machine that was glitchy, because we were the only ones semi-processed through the system and cancelled.
    • Then, put your belongings together. Go through another security with passports and boarding pass to answer the US immigration and customs questions.
    • An individual sheet will print out for each member of the party. Here's where the ICE/Immigration agents were picky (too picky). Place each boarding pass and sheet with the corresponding passport. One lady agent who was super cranky and nasty, gave me a hard time that I had them in each passport opened up. She wanted it closed.
    • She confused our party of 5 with another family, and continually berated me and the family before us. The agent commented, glad that your daughter got them organized. They looked confused because they had two boy toddlers in the stroller at the podium. There was no way that our family was even close to them. She didn't look.
    • Then, came our turn, she asked who my DD15's best-friend was. Asked for the letter for her to travel. We had a notarized letter with all the proper documents. Then, she asked for her mother's ID (really!!!!). At this point, I told her that I don't carry her mother's ID around nor have a copy. The notarized letter is the only one required on the Department of Homeland Security's website. **Forgot to mention that she asked if my children were mine (I wanted to say out loud, "I went through hours of labor without epidural to give birth to them. How are they not my children?! I just produce children that don't look like me, it's called genetics!" But I kept it to myself)** It was starting to get heated. Then, she asked me for my Driver's License even though she had my passport. This part was getting me angry and my mama bear attitude was starting to come out. I was going to give her copies of all the best-friend's insurance card. Other notarized letter for medical treatment, etc. Then, somehow she switched attitude and then, changed her tone. UGH!!!
    • Finally, we went through it. 1 1/2 hours later. We were all exhausted.
So, I hope that this would help those traveling with friend's children who are not their own. If you have any questions about it, please let me know.

Last edited:
Man, that was a pretty bad CBP story. Not sure what set them off but it sounds like they were trying to make everyone’s day “fun”.

Man, that was a pretty bad CBP story. Not sure what set them off but it sounds like they were trying to make everyone’s day “fun”.
Right!?!

When we finally sat down near our gate, my DH tried to make a joke of the situation: "Well, if they won't let DD15's best-friend through immigration, they might have to deport her :laughing:. Get it, deport her back home to California (USA), get a free trip back."

I didn't find that funny but my DH couldn't stop laughing.

At least, we are now back home recovering from all our excursions and chaotic return to our home in California.

Ugh that sounds like a nightmare!!! I'm so sorry!!! What a hassle.

We live in Vancouver and fly out of YVR frequently; buses downtown in rush hour+rain=disaster :(

When we go through security at YVR we always put everything in bins, including passports and boarding passes. We walk through the scanner carrying absolutely nothing. When we've gone through customs with the printed sheet we always hand everything over in a big pile, sometimes the photo page is open, sometimes it's not. Never, not once, have we ever been hassled with US Customs at YVR. You clearly got some very cranky customs and border officials that morning:sad2: I guess your daughters' friend had a story to tell her mom when she got home!! You guys did everything right!

Ugh that sounds like a nightmare!!! I'm so sorry!!! What a hassle.

We live in Vancouver and fly out of YVR frequently; buses downtown in rush hour+rain=disaster :(
My DH and I thought it was a great idea, but slowly decided after being soaked, it was a not-so-good idea.

When we go through security at YVR we always put everything in bins, including passports and boarding passes. We walk through the scanner carrying absolutely nothing. When we've gone through customs with the printed sheet we always hand everything over in a big pile, sometimes the photo page is open, sometimes it's not. Never, not once, have we ever been hassled with US Customs at YVR. You clearly got some very cranky customs and border officials that morning:sad2: I guess your daughters' friend had a story to tell her mom when she got home!! You guys did everything right!
Yes, my DD15's best-friend's mom was shocked to say the least, because she and I read all the documents to make sure that her daughter could travel with us.

As for the US Customs at YVR, I am so glad that our experience is not a common occurrence. Thanks for confirming that we did everything right.

I'm honestly somewhat nervous about taking my kids out of the country next year. Both of course have US passports, but neither were born in the US.

Then, came our turn, she asked who my DD15's best-friend was. Asked for the letter for her to travel. We had a notarized letter with all the proper documents. Then, she asked for her mother's ID (really!!!!). At this point, I told her that I don't carry her mother's ID around nor have a copy. The notarized letter is the only one required on the Department of Homeland Security's website.
Actually, these are the requirements for crossing Canadian borders with someone else's child:

If a minor child is travelling with a person other than their parents or legal guardian
The adult who is not the parent or legal guardian of the child should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the child. The permission letter should include addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or legal guardian can be reached.

The letter does not need to be certified. A photocopy of the parents’ or legal guardian’s signed passports or national identity cards should be attached to the letter.

Last edited:

Actually, these are the requirements for crossing Canadian borders with someone else's child:

If a minor child is travelling with a person other than their parents or legal guardian
The adult who is not the parent or legal guardian of the child should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the child. The permission letter should include addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or legal guardian can be reached.

The letter does not need to be certified. A photocopy of the parents’ or legal guardian’s signed passports or national identity cards should be attached to the letter.
Thanks for that piece of information. Did you find that on the Canadian website, because my friend and I looked through the Dept. of Homeland Security's site and did not find it nor did we find anything on the DCL website. The URL would be great so that I can submit that along with my email to the DHS. Thank you!

I think it was related to the machine that was glitchy, because we were the only ones semi-processed through the system and cancelled.

Had anyone near that machine seen your boarding passes? Were your passes marked in any way?

I’ve seen people swear that the agent that looked at their boarding pass flagged them, not there’s no communication, no way for the ID agent to know exactly where you’ll go, and no looking at ID or passes when you’re at the machine.

Forgot to mention that she asked if my children were mine

Why wouldn’t she? You’re traveling with another person’s child already. Why wouldn’t she ask the question?

the British agent in Heathrow asked me if I don’t work how did I get the money for the trip. They ask obnoxious questions. It’s what they do.

The key is to stay calm. And not snap back “from selling myself” at the Heathrow guy. Because you do actually want to see London lol.

These requirements are for someone entering Canada with a minor from another parent. OP is discussing entering the US (once already in Canada) with that minor, so it's the US DHS rules that will apply.

Yes, but...if they’d had that on the way in, they would have had them on the way out.

These requirements are for someone entering Canada with a minor from another parent. OP is discussing entering the US (once already in Canada) with that minor, so it's the US DHS rules that will apply.
The OP should have had those documents to enter Canada, so they should also have them when exiting Canada.

Yes, but...if they’d had that on the way in, they would have had them on the way out.

The OP should have had those documents to enter Canada, so they should also have them when exiting Canada.
And what makes you think they didn't have the documents they needed to enter Canada? If they are already in Canada, it clearly shows they followed whichever rules they were supposed to follow. They can now pack away those documents in their luggage and don't have to use them again until they re-enter the country.

The person who hassled them was the DHS officer for entry into the US, so the only rules that matter are the DHS rules. There is no exit control at that airport on the Canadian side.

Had anyone near that machine seen your boarding passes? Were your passes marked in any way?

I’ve seen people swear that the agent that looked at their boarding pass flagged them, not there’s no communication, no way for the ID agent to know exactly where you’ll go, and no looking at ID or passes when you’re at the machine.
No one saw the boarding passes near the machine. Only the person checking the bags, security, and another security agent near the machines.

Why wouldn’t she? You’re traveling with another person’s child already. Why wouldn’t she ask the question?
Both my DD18 (who looks exactly like me) and DD15 (who keeps moaning "mom") are taller than I. I didn't see the US CBP ask the other family if the children were theirs. If they are going to ask that question. Then, all of them need to ask the same questions of everyone. I noticed that half the questions that were asked of the families before us were totally inconsistent.

When we left SJC to fly to Vancouver with a stop-over in Seattle, WA, no one asked for the notarized letter. They just asked for the passports. Strange, right!?! They should have a record of our family traveling with her from San Jose, CA to Vancouver, BC; so, it would have made sense that we are traveling back with her. I would have understood a more stringent check system if she was leaving one-way.

Last edited:
When we left SJC to fly to Vancouver with a stop-over in Seattle, WA, no one asked for the notarized letter. They just asked for the passports. Strange, right!?! They should have a record of our family traveling with her from San Jose, CA to Vancouver, BC; so, it would have made sense that we are traveling back with her. I would have understood a more stringent check system if she was leaving one-way.

Strange? Maybe, but not uncommon. An agent strictly following the book will ask for everything, but not all do. We cross the border fairly often and if only 1 parent is present Canada requires a notarized letter from the other parent. I think we’ve had to show it exactly once. But it can be a hassle if the document isn’t available even if not always requested. Crossing the border can be easy or difficult, no rhyme nor reason to Why. Sorry you ran into such a challenge on your vacation.

Strange? Maybe, but not uncommon. An agent strictly following the book will ask for everything, but not all do. We cross the border fairly often and if only 1 parent is present Canada requires a notarized letter from the other parent. I think we’ve had to show it exactly once. But it can be a hassle if the document isn’t available even if not always requested. Crossing the border can be easy or difficult, no rhyme nor reason to Why. Sorry you ran into such a challenge on your vacation.
Thank you for sharing your experiences. Overall, without this hassle, we really liked our Alaskan cruise and our visit in Vancouver.

I didn't see the US CBP ask the other family if the children were theirs. If they are going to ask that question. Then, all of them need to ask the same questions of everyone. I noticed that half the questions that were asked of the families before us were totally inconsistent.

It's actually part of the security playbook that they ask different questions or change other facets of the screening, both on any given day and from time to time. They don't want the process to be exactly the same every time; then someone who was scouting it out for weaknesses could be confident in the process.

Should you feel hassled just trying to catch a flight? No. Do they hassle people? Yes. If we're going to have this kind of security, the best you can do it grin and bear it.

(I don't think we need the kind of security we have now, but it is what it is, and I want to travel, so I suck it up.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter