Travel Trailer renters... what did you wish you had packed and brought on your trip?

kstgelais4

DIS Veteran
Hello all,
We decided to rent a travel trailer for this upcoming trip. In theory, it looks like the rental includes everything. But I'm sure that there will be things we wish we had brought once we got there. So, I'm asking the experts. What do we need to bring for the camper rental? TIA!

I don't recall anything I wished I had when renting at the fort. We had Garden Grocer bring us breakfast and lunch items, ate all our dinners out since its vacation and who wants to cook and clean. The rental companies have it down pretty good, some will list all the included items in the camper on their web site.

Hello all,
We decided to rent a travel trailer for this upcoming trip. In theory, it looks like the rental includes everything. But I'm sure that there will be things we wish we had brought once we got there. So, I'm asking the experts. What do we need to bring for the camper rental? TIA!
a power strip or 2 for charging everything at once and as a PP said RV toilet paper not regular toilet paper. check and see how many towels are provided

I don't recall anything I wished I had when renting at the fort. We had Garden Grocer bring us breakfast and lunch items, ate all our dinners out since its vacation and who wants to cook and clean. The rental companies have it down pretty good, some will list all the included items in the camper on their web site.
I did check and see what was included. It *seems* like everything, but surely there will be something I would have wished I had packed if we didn't bring anything other than what was provided.

a power strip or 2 for charging everything at once and as a PP said RV toilet paper not regular toilet paper. check and see how many towels are provided
There are enough towels for all of us, but I am bringing separate pool towels. A power strip is an excellent idea.

There are enough towels for all of us, but I am bringing separate pool towels. A power strip is an excellent idea.
Depending on the time of year.... You can expect that the towels will NOT line Dry outside (or even inside) as they might elsewhere. The humidity is a big factor, not to mention the occasional (or frequent again depending on the time of year) storms.

I did check and see what was included. It *seems* like everything, but surely there will be something I would have wished I had packed if we didn't bring anything other than what was provided.

just remember you are not to use regular toilet paper just the special RV type

This may be a requirement by the Rental company, but it's not necessarily a requirement of the RV manufacturers (or industry).

The "RV Toilet Paper" is basically one that is supposed to dissolve quickly in the moisture so as to not causing clogging issues in the septic systems of the Trailers. Similar to those that use "Septic Systems" at their homes (as opposed to being connected to city sewer). The reality of it is, is that SOME toilet papers not marketed for RV's is better then others that are.

I use "Wegman's" brand Toilet paper. I did a "Test" to see how well it breaks up in water and it passed with flying colors.

Took another brand (Scotts I think it was) and while it did break up, it wasn't as quick as the Wegmans Brand and certainly wasn't as soft to use.

Charmin is one of the WORST for RV's or Septic systems although it is "Strong" and "Soft", in an RV system it can cause issues.

Plus, I think that RV toilet paper that tends to be thinner (and rougher) that cost more is just wrong. I am a "Sensitive" (and frugal) guy, after all! :D

Agree with the TP. We rented a golf cart and we're glad we brought an outdoor extension cord with us. We wouldn't have been able to charge the battery without it. Our rental didn't have enough 13 gal trash bags. We had to go buy some. I couldn't believe how much trash 2 people could generate in such a short time

Just got back from the Fort in a rental. It was fantastic. Agree with the previous replies of extra TP that is camper safe, as well as beach towels for swimming. We also placed a Garden Grocer order for some breakfast and light lunch/snack items, as well as bottled water, and that worked out perfectly. We did also bring a charging hub, so all electronics could be charged and a couple of the small LED flashlights from Walmart ($1).

Just got back from the Fort in a rental. It was fantastic. Agree with the previous replies of extra TP that is camper safe, as well as beach towels for swimming. We also placed a Garden Grocer order for some breakfast and light lunch/snack items, as well as bottled water, and that worked out perfectly. We did also bring a charging hub, so all electronics could be charged and a couple of the small LED flashlights from Walmart ($1).
How was it meeting up with the trailer delivery set-up person? I'm 2nd guessing myself wondering if we should rent our daughter a trailer vs a cabin. I don't think after fees there's going to be much difference in price IF the cabins get discounted but that's a chance you take. What size did you rent and what type of site did you book, full hookup or premium or preferred?

We used a 4 pk from Camping World only once when we decided the whole thing was a 'very' expensive 'cheap' grade rip off!!

That was 49 years ago - since then with our many and varied types RV's, we have used whatever we have in our home - nary a problem have we had! We also have a septic system at our home (16 yrs.) no issues!

We used a 4 pk from Camping World only once when we decided the whole thing was a 'very' expensive 'cheap' grade rip off!!
This is EXACTLY my thought.

We don't have septic at home, but I am still concerned about it.

I have done the "Toilet Paper Test" myself with Wegmans Brand, Quilted Northern and Charmin (I don't recall which variation since they have like, a THOUSAND of them).

First and foremost, my leading criteria is COMFORT. I don't care how quickly it may "Dissolve" if it's like sand paper (I am sure you all know what I mean), then it ain't for me! Anyway, I really wanted to test the Wegmans brand because that's what I use at home. Wegmans did well so I was happy I didn't have to change. For argument sake Northern did okay too. Charmin... Not so much. This is ironic because if you google for this test, many sites say that charmin is great for septic systems. My tests don't agree.

Anyway, we have been using the Wegmans brand in our RV for the last 8 years without any issues yet, so I see no reason to change at this point. Certainly not to an OVERPRICED single Ply version. :scared:

How about paper products other than toilet paper .... like paper plates, paper towels. Maybe a favorite pillow or blanket? Definitely garden grocer and don't forget bottled water.

What is this Garden Grocer that people speak of? sounds like it may be something that we may use

never mind, i found the site...

Even though you found the site... It's a service to get groceries to your site (or hotel or whatever) without you going to the store. This is ideal for those that fly in and use the DME to get to the Fort (or elsewhere) and perhaps Rent a trailer or stay in the cabin. Many folks like to use just the Disney Transportation and save the cost of a rental car, but don't want to eat every meal in the park (or restaurant) and would like some simple meals at the Cabin (rental trailer or whatever) or just Bottles of water and snacks. Either way, Garden Grocer fills this service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter