• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Travel Insurance

SNOWHITE7

Mouseketeer
When you book a trip using DVC points what travel insurance do you buy? Does it offer any cover for the points or just flights, medical cover, luggage etc.? I know DVC recommend Travel Guard but I've read on the DVC board that this is quite expensive.

I have recently made my first DVC ressie to DLP travelling on Eurostar and now I want to sort out insurance but I'm not sure if the standard travel insurance policies will cover DVC. Could you please tell me what you do? :confused:

I haven't found a standard UK travel insurance policy that will include cover for DVC points - but I have to admit I haven't looked too hard.

It was something that worried me slightly when we committed an awful lot of our points (banked, borrowed and anything else you can think of :rolleyes: ) to a GV for extended family last trip, but on other trips using less points we've taken the gamble without worrying too much.

As you say, the 'recommended' DVC point insurance does seem quite expensive and I think we decided the compensation wouldn't actually make up for losing the points (in our opinion) anyway.

Hi,
I have tried several insurance brokers regarding "points insurance" but none were interested.As far as I am aware standard travel insurance will not cover the points as no cash as actually changed hands so no value can be put on any loss.I haven't studied the insurance recommended by DVC but as stated earlier the general impression is that it is quite expensive.

Mick.

:smooth:

I asked this a few years back when we committed our points to a cruise. We had AMex insurance at the time and they said that they would pay for lost holiday regardless of whether points were used or cash. It would be the cash value of the holiday. This will make me think carefully before taking out another insurance policy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter