Travel Insurance with existing conditions

arieliwish

I've got gadgets and gizmos a-plenty,
Hi all, apologies if this has been answered before, but I've been looking for travel insurance for my family (annual) but DH has half a dozen existing conditions -

stroke (9 years ago)
arrhythmia
blood thinning meds - warfarin
epilepsy (2 fits over 6 years ago as a side effect from stroke damage in brain)
high blood pressure - controlled with meds
high cholesterol - controlled with meds

Insure and go site won't cover these and suggests calling them. We have been on holiday to usa and france over the past 8 years and got cover from tesco previously but their site shows they won't cover this time.

So does anyone have any recommendations or advice on where to get cover from, either for DH on his own or for us as a family?

:)

I'm with goodtogoinsurance.com
I got a family annual global policy to cover my conditions for a relatively good price.
They were recommended to me by the Heart Foundation.

Thanks for the reply. Already tried them as Columbus wouldn't cover the conditions and linked me to their site - they wouldn't cover either. :sad1:

I'm prepared to pay a high price but just can't find anyone to provide cover!

:sad2::sad2:

I had a few knock backs too and was thinking of going to the ombudsman, they pretty much guarantee to get you something.

Hi,

This year we are using Avanti and last year we used World Traveller First (think that's right!).

My husband had a freak heart attack 9 years ago with no problems at all since so it is not the same as your situation but both these companies have been really reasonable so you could give them a try. Hope you find something! :)

You are saying sites won't cover you. Have you tried ringing? often they only do it after a discussion.
Best we found DMIL was Age concern but almost £400 for 8 nights cover.

We use John Lewis travel insurance. It is an annual policy. I have muliple health conditions and am only 41. OP was right though you need to phone up rather than online.

Try calling Premier Care by Mark Bates Ltd www.premiercare.info They work with Good To Go Insurance, and I haven't known them not to be able to cover anything as of yet

I would definitely ring them - 01476 591104 during 9am-5:30pm Monday to Friday

We use endsleigh. Have had good service with them. Provided you have had no problems or changed your medication in the last 12 months they will cover you. I have had to claim before and they selected the hospital for me and dealt with all the bills directI. i did not have to give any money upfront at the hospital.

Thank you all for your replies. Someone at work suggested Saga so did an online search during a quiet spell this afternoon. Again they wouldn't offer annual cover but would cover single trip so went and bought a single trip cover for DH for our DLP booking in March for £51. Online single trip for usa for him was £461.

I then called AA as their family annual policy looked quite cheap online for me and DD and DS. DS has petit mal so need to add that on, £3 additional on AA!, and as the nice AA man was going through the terms and conditions he said 'we will not cover any claim arising from any other person with existing conditions' - I queried this and explained that DH has existing conditions and we were getting single trip policies for each trip separately for him, and he confirmed that if we had to cancel or travel home early that the AA policy would not cover us. :(

So, called Saga up and added us all on to the single trip policy for March, an additional £47, including son's petit mal. Mentioned that DD has perforated eardrum (long term, no treatment or medication ongoing) and has recently had a chest infection and been given an inhaler, but these were fine. Explained that we were booked for usa next august and she quoted £621 for all of us with the included conditions.

I thought I was being clever getting DH separate cover and us getting an annual one, but those pesky insurers always seem to have a way of getting out of things! If I don't find another one cheaper then I'll prob just go with Saga, I know it's a hefty price but I don't think I have much choice!

Thanks again, will certainly look at the companies you've all mentioned.

:goodvibes

i would do as wayne says ring them up, i have had to ring in the past and the premium didn't go up just wasn't on list. Was insureandgo as well

Paul

With insure and Go - If you ring them and go through the medical stuff with them you may find that they will cover as standard, they work on a points system, If they say no ask for it to be referred to the underwriter of the policy. (Mapfre)

Assuming he is not in any immediate danger they may suprise you and cover you all.

Thanks again guys, I'm gonna do a ring around next week and will report back (London for NFL at Wembley this weekend!).

DH is fine and has been for years now, all his meds are stable and he doesn't have any ongoing appointments other than six-monthly check ups. However, he did have a major stroke and has plenty of meds to keep him right.

The odd thing is I got his insurance for our first trip in Aug 2004 without any trouble at all, despite his stroke being Dec 2003, and he was at more of a risk then than now. I suppose though he is older now (58).

Thanks again.

:)

Try www.allcleartravel.co.uk

I had a small stroke in January of this year and have numerous other conditions. I travelled to Orlando in September and they gave me a good price considering it was only eight months after the stroke.

Lyndon :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter