Travel from Hamilton Ontario to WDW along I90 and I77

Canadian Tom

DIS Veteran
Thinking of driving I90 to I77 and over nighting in Charlston WV or Princeton WV. Any thoughts? Anyone driven this? Thanks, Canadian Tom

This is the route I'm thinking about in a couple of weeks to South Florida.

What about 90 to I79 then US 19 which meets up with I 77 ? Go through Western PA instead of OH. Don’t have to drive as far west. I live in GA take I75 to I 40 to I77 to US19 to I79 to go back home to Pittsburgh.

We drive 77 down to Disney. We are from Northeast Ohio. We have never stopped over night in the Charleston area. We have stayed in Beckley, WVA many times. My family is from WVA and have a family reunion here all the time growing up. This is another good area to stop if you want to go a bit further. We have stopped her on our way home from Disney. On our way down we usually stop at Kingsland, GA.

We are also driving in April from Toronto. A friend's parents usually break their trip up by staying in Princeton. I was looking at maybe going a bit further to Mooresville (just north of Charlotte) to get a bit further on day 1. I'm just not sure if we want to drive 10 hours or 12 hours on first day - its two of us driving.

We are also driving in April from Toronto. A friend's parents usually break their trip up by staying in Princeton. I was looking at maybe going a bit further to Mooresville (just north of Charlotte) to get a bit further on day 1. I'm just not sure if we want to drive 10 hours or 12 hours on first day - its two of us driving.
We stay in Mooresville all the time when we drive down both on the way down and back.. great area in my opinion… everything you need right off the highway … we usually stay at the Hampton inn but this April we are giving the Holiday inn express a try to save a few bucks

We've driven the I79 through Pittsburg but we're think of trying to stay away from the Summersville and Fayetteville speed traps and slowdown and take I77 fro I90. Google map shows it's 20 minutes longer but is all divided interstate highway, I think. Has anyone driven it and is it divided 4 lane all the way? What's the traffic like on I70 and is it less hilly than I79? Thanks Canadian Tom

We've driven the I79 through Pittsburg but we're think of trying to stay away from the Summersville and Fayetteville speed traps and slowdown and take I77 fro I90. Google map shows it's 20 minutes longer but is all divided interstate highway, I think. Has anyone driven it and is it divided 4 lane all the way? What's the traffic like on I70 and is it less hilly than I79? Thanks Canadian Tom

I live in the area of 90 and 77 but I do not drive them on a regular bases. 77 around the Akron area has a good chance of being a mess. They seem to always be doing construction in the area and it can get backed up. Also, going through Downtown Cleveland you will hit a back up if it is rush hour but other times it should be fine. There are parts of 77 between Cleveland and Akron that are 2 lanes each way. This is usually not a big deal though.

You shouldn't hit other traffic until around the Charleston, WVA area, but that is a small section and has never been too bad. The next rough spot we come across driving down is in South Carolina. The 2 lane highway (not sure which highway it is) is either great or really bad. As long as there is not an accident it seems to run fine, however is there is an accident you are almost at a dead stop for awhile.

We stay in Mooresville all the time when we drive down both on the way down and back.. great area in my opinion… everything you need right off the highway … we usually stay at the Hampton inn but this April we are giving the Holiday inn express a try to save a few bucks
Good to know! How many hours do you find is the typical drive from Toronto with border crossings and food/gas stops (i'm assuming you're from that area!?). I don't really want to drive more than 12 hours in first day since just two of us. Thanks

Yes we are from just east of Toronto in the Durham Region ..For us it’s usually between 11-12 hours... usually make our first stop in Erie (gas up and hit Dunkin Donuts)..before we get on the 79 then stop again in Summersville or somewhere along US19 and then not again until Mooresville .. usually don’t hit much traffic unless it’s for construction and it’s hard to predict when and were that will be.. also we don’t stop and sit to eat… it’s gas coffee/food and go .. try to bring as much food /snacks as we can

We have driven numerous times over the past 20 years various routes and we are from the Hamilton area as well.

We used to go down the 90 and 79 but the wife hates the mountains through PA and the eastern part of WV. If we go through Buffalo we do 77 down and love that drive. We have stayed in Lake Norman, NC many times as a half way point. It's around a 12 hour drive down and then 9ish to Disney.

If we want a slightly longer route we head west to Sarnia, cross and head down I75. The route has a lot more truck/gas stops along the way as it is a main thoroughfare for truck traffic between the 2 countries. We like it as it gives us a different view of the landscape, but we are road trip people so we take multiple days to go down and back up.

We have never crossed at the Ambassador bridge in Windsor.

Since we are still a little indecisive about how long we want to drive on first day, do people find it necessary to book a hotel in advance or is it typically easy to find a reasonable clean and economical place to lay our head for that one night?

Since we are still a little indecisive about how long we want to drive on first day, do people find it necessary to book a hotel in advance or is it typically easy to find a reasonable clean and economical place to lay our head for that one night?

We always try to book ahead so as not to be disappointed if the hotel is full. We just did a trip after 2 years this past Christmas, and I have to tell you, be careful of the hotels. Ones we have stayed at many times in the past are now terrible places to stay. They cannot find people to work and the upkeep has gone to s**t. My wife says that we won't stay at a cheap hotel again. Pre-covid, no problem - now, no way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter