Travel Changes?

We live in the suburbs of Boston, about 26 miles Southwest of Boston (about where the marathon starts). The stay at home advisory for Massachusetts is extended until May 18 and if you are in an area where social distancing is unlikely then facemasks are mandatory. The Mayor of Boston has ordered facemasks to be worn in the city. Unfortunately, I can't offer anything definitive, but everything we are hearing is that there will continue to be pretty significant restrictions in the city of Boston through the summer. Things like mandatory facemasks, outdoor seating only in restaurants or restaurants at 25% capacity, groups no larger than 10 people, etc. The further you get away from Boston, into the suburbs and more rural areas of Western Massachusetts it may be a bit easier as population density decreases pretty dramatically. We don't hear nearly as much about the restrictions in the other main cities in Massachusetts (Lowell, Fall River/New Bedford, Worcester, and Springfield). Not sure if this helps with any of your decisions, but it does seem as though Boston proper will be under stricter guidelines than other parts of the state, and it sounds as though it will be through most of the summer.

I'm not familiar with the placeholder rules - do you think ABD would let you move the date? As time goes on, they seem to be getting more flexible with their terms and conditions. I know with my July trip, they allowed me to put it into "displaced" status so I could still take advantage of discounts when I re-book. I'm just wondering if it's worth asking if you could put the deposit back into placeholder status?

I, too, wish there would be some news about summer. Everything is so up in the air right now and government authorities are being so ambiguous with opening dates, restrictions, etc. I've been watching MA closely because DS12 is supposed to go to summer school there this year. His tuition is completely non-refundable at this point and they say they won't even know if they are opening until about two weeks before the opening date - ugh. I believe MA just extended stay-at-home until May 18 and have given no indication as to how and when they are re-opening any part of the state. It's really frustrating. It seems we are heading into 2 months straight of completely ambiguity. I mean, I get it, this is unprecedented and no one really knows the best way to handle it, but it is frustrating nonetheless. I miss the days when we could make advance plans and have some certainty that we could actually keep them.
Thank you for the kind words and your empathy. It is just all so maddening. I talked to the Nantucket people I have reservations with for the ferry and he told me of the 5/18 extension but he THOUGHT August should be ok but said good thing you aren't coming in June for whatever that meant. I am sorry about your DS with summer school there. That is the pits! And non refundable? That is tough I sure hope it goes thru ok for him! I am going to hang in there until Thursday and call ABD AGAIN and see if any options really do remain... THank you!

We live in the suburbs of Boston, about 26 miles Southwest of Boston (about where the marathon starts). The stay at home advisory for Massachusetts is extended until May 18 and if you are in an area where social distancing is unlikely then facemasks are mandatory. The Mayor of Boston has ordered facemasks to be worn in the city. Unfortunately, I can't offer anything definitive, but everything we are hearing is that there will continue to be pretty significant restrictions in the city of Boston through the summer. Things like mandatory facemasks, outdoor seating only in restaurants or restaurants at 25% capacity, groups no larger than 10 people, etc. The further you get away from Boston, into the suburbs and more rural areas of Western Massachusetts it may be a bit easier as population density decreases pretty dramatically. We don't hear nearly as much about the restrictions in the other main cities in Massachusetts (Lowell, Fall River/New Bedford, Worcester, and Springfield). Not sure if this helps with any of your decisions, but it does seem as though Boston proper will be under stricter guidelines than other parts of the state, and it sounds as though it will be through most of the summer.

thank you! That almost makes me think to hang in there and let ABD pull the plug b/c again how can you solical distance on freedom trail or a museum etc. How can you hear a guide thru a facemask social distanced from everyone? Thanks for the info I appreciate it!

This is great info - thank you! My DS12's summer school is in western MA and they keep the numbers quite low for the summer. I'm sure they could figure out social distancing on campus, however, he would be living in a dorm, which concerns me. This was supposed to be a "sampler-summer" to see if he might like boarding school. I'm not really sure what kind of impression it will make on him if the whole summer is filled with social distancing and mask-wearing . . . On the bright side, I have been following what this school has been doing during this academic year and I think they have handled the closure very well and will not put our children or their faculty in harms way. They also offered families partial refunds for time lost on campus which I thought was very nice. I think, at the end of the day, they will make a good decision based on the info in-hand in mid-June.

Thank you for the kind words and your empathy. It is just all so maddening. I talked to the Nantucket people I have reservations with for the ferry and he told me of the 5/18 extension but he THOUGHT August should be ok but said good thing you aren't coming in June for whatever that meant. I am sorry about your DS with summer school there. That is the pits! And non refundable? That is tough I sure hope it goes thru ok for him! I am going to hang in there until Thursday and call ABD AGAIN and see if any options really do remain... THank you!

Thank you so much! That is so very sweet of you.

Let us know what ABD says! I hope they have some options for you!

Did you get your PIF reminder e-mail today?! I did - ugh :(
We got the PIF reminder email and the box. Ugh. Trying to decide whether to PIF and hope for a cancellation or to park the deposit and plan for something down the road. It was THAT trip that was special, so it's tough to make the decision.

In case more rumors are helpful: I work for a branch of the state government in Boston. Our office just purchased laptops for everyone with the expectation that we would remain closed at least through June. (No formal announcement yet; it does seem that they are going down to the wire on making these sorts of decisions, which is understandable given the uncertainty). It's funny because when I interviewed for this job in February, I was told no one in our office had ever worked remotely and no one would be working remotely. Haven't been in to the office since that interview.

Anyway, my sense is the same as others. I think they are anticipating that things will remain very restricted here at least through the early part of the summer.

We got the PIF reminder email and the box. Ugh. Trying to decide whether to PIF and hope for a cancellation or to park the deposit and plan for something down the road. It was THAT trip that was special, so it's tough to make the decision.

Yes, I agree!! If they announced that trip for next year, I think I would just move the deposit! Ugh, I'm waiting until the very last minute.

In case more rumors are helpful: I work for a branch of the state government in Boston. Our office just purchased laptops for everyone with the expectation that we would remain closed at least through June. (No formal announcement yet; it does seem that they are going down to the wire on making these sorts of decisions, which is understandable given the uncertainty). It's funny because when I interviewed for this job in February, I was told no one in our office had ever worked remotely and no one would be working remotely. Haven't been in to the office since that interview.

Anyway, my sense is the same as others. I think they are anticipating that things will remain very restricted here at least through the early part of the summer.

I LOVE rumors, thank you! Wow, if you are closed through June, I guess I will speculate DS12 is not going to summer school (I actually don't really want him to go at this point and may call to see if they will defer his admission). Love the story about not working remotely - that made me giggle, thank you!

The Governor of Massachusetts is supposed to lay out the proposal for beginning to re-open on May 18. So, we should find out what the phased approach is going to look like. Honestly, I can't imagine a summer school given where we are with the number of new cases each day. My son goes to a prep school in the central part of the state. He is a day student, but about 40% of the students live in the residence halls and are from all over the world. His school "hopes" to be able to have the students back on campus in the fall, but they are also making contingent arrangements to continue distance learning. In addition, many of the colleges are doing the same (planning and hoping to get back on campus in the fall, but making alternative arrangements as well).

Tauck has apparently cancelled things till July 15th.

Honestly, these lockdown protests have ruined any possibility of Summer travel. There will be a spike, a severe one, in a few weeks because people don't understand that isolation is rule #1 for dealing with viruses. All this flocking to the beach, and these soft reopenings before it's medically sound are just gonna keep this virus alive, preventing travel. When 3000+ people start dying a day, travel will just start becoming more and more unlikely until 2021, minimum.

We are shooting ourselves in the foot.

Not trying to be a downer, but realistically, I see things getting a lot worse before they get better. And the worse they get, the longer it will take to get better.

Last edited:
I have a July ABD and in a tough position. I'd like to rebook travel, but will incur airfare credits if I cancel before ABD cancels, when I'd rather have a full refund, so I am waiting it out. But by waiting, I risk loosing EBD and space on new itinerary by the time ABD cancels my trip (I have a placeholder I'd like to use with my ABD refund). Really wish they could make a decision on July trips prior to 2021 opening up for booking next week. Especially since now Tauck has cancelled portions of July as @Rapunzellover has mentioned.

Last edited:
I have a July ABD and in a tough position. I'd like to rebook travel, but will incur airfare credits if I cancel before ABD cancels, when I'd rather have a full refund, so I am waiting it out. But by waiting, I risk loosing EBD and space on new itinerary by the time ABD cancels my trip (I have a placeholder I'd like to use with my ABD refund). Really wish they could make a decision on July trips prior to 2021 opening up for booking next week. Especially since now Tauck has cancelled portions of July as @Rapunzellover has mentioned.

I think we are in the same boat but from what everyone on here has said over and over to me, if they cancel on us - even as a placeholder, we are refunded in full. Because of this, I am holding out. I hope my August trip isn't cancelled but if it is, I am letting them do it. The LAST thing I want is to tie up more money in another ABD trip and be worrying and wondering. So if you sit back and do nothing and they cancel, you will get full refund. I hear you though on losing the the incentives on future trips though...

I think we are in the same boat but from what everyone on here has said over and over to me, if they cancel on us - even as a placeholder, we are refunded in full. Because of this, I am holding out. I hope my August trip isn't cancelled but if it is, I am letting them do it. The LAST thing I want is to tie up more money in another ABD trip and be worrying and wondering. So if you sit back and do nothing and they cancel, you will get full refund. I hear you though on losing the the incentives on future trips though...
It's complicated :) I have an additional placeholder I need to use from a trip I already canceled. And yes, my July trip was a placeholder also from a different trip I canceled.

It's complicated :) I have an additional placeholder I need to use from a trip I already canceled. And yes, my July trip was a placeholder also from a different trip I canceled.
Meanwhile, portions of my flights have already been cancelled by airlines. Perhaps I should call and get it refunded. I have made so many travel cancellations that I'm dreading more phone calls.

ouch that is complicated! I guess if parts of the lfight have been cancelled it stands to REASON ABD will fall suit. Fingers crossed. Please keep us posted. I am waiting for a phone call from 5 days ago when they were speaking to a supervisor regarding my options.....I fear I have none.

Here is the official announcement from ABD regarding the cancellation of July river cruises plus associated ABD Escape trips:

UPDATE – May 6, 2020: With the wellbeing of our Guests and Guides as our top priority and in line with direction from health experts and government officials, Adventures by Disney along with AmaWaterways has decided to suspend July River Cruises and the associated Escape trips.

All impacted guests and travel agents will be contacted by Adventures by Disney.

Guests may transfer their costs toward the purchase of another Adventures by Disney experience or can receive a refund. In addition to the Adventures in 2020, 2021 Adventures are now available to Guests who have been displaced from their trips.

Cancelled Trips:

• Rhine River Cruise
    • 7/12/20
    • 7/26/20
  • Rhone River Cruise
    • 7/9/20
  • Seine River Cruise
    • 7/2/20
    • 7/16/20
  • Danube River Cruise
    • 7/4/20
    • 7/11/20
  • Amsterdam Escape
    • 7/19/20
  • Paris Escape
    • 7/7/20
    • 7/9/20

Tauck has apparently cancelled things till July 15th.

Honestly, these lockdown protests have ruined any possibility of Summer travel. There will be a spike, a severe one, in a few weeks because people don't understand that isolation is rule #1 for dealing with viruses. All this flocking to the beach, and these soft reopenings before it's medically sound are just gonna keep this virus alive, preventing travel. When 3000+ people start dying a day, travel will just start becoming more and more unlikely until 2021, minimum.

We are shooting ourselves in the foot.

Not trying to be a downer, but realistically, I see things getting a lot worse before they get better. And the worse they get, the longer it will take to get better.
The more I read on overseas news (like the Sydney Morning Herald in Australia) it becomes very clear that nations have become distrustful of the US and fear we may be carriers of the disease. 14 day Quarantine at the borders for US visitors has appeared as a topic. I agree these lockdown "protests" are doing us immense harm both here and abroad.

Grifgig22: My concern has been for awhile how that the countries that will lift their travel bans would either not let US citizens in or make us quarantine for 14 days once we get there. So you are validating those concerns. My daughter and I are scheduled on the Japan trip for July 5th and ABD has put a hold on that trip but has not officially canceled. I am sure it will be shortly. Japan is still having issues and their President recently announced to extend their lockdown until the end of this month.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter