Travel Changes?

I have been waiting for 10 days for a return call from a manager at Quark. Apparently their top priority is re-booking passengers for 2021. You'd think that since I have already paid in full that I would maybe get some priority, but nothing.

Yesterday I received an e-mail saying they have now cancelled all summer, 2020 Arctic cruises. However they are not offering any refunds. That is their official line. As of now I am not interested in re-booking and will be pressing for a refund. However I need to wait for a manager to contact me, which I am told will be "any day now". For such an expensive trip I expect better customer service.

Wow. This seems like such a change from the previous update you gave us on this. I had thought you were resolving it. It's like they're giving you whiplash with their back and forth run around. Quark and Scott Dunn are definitely on my no list now.

But seriously: if they don't refund you, get your bank involved and on it. They cannot charge you for something they did not provide, and while you may be contractually obligated to forfeit deposit, they most likely cannot legally keep all your money while providing nothing.

Travel contracts don't generally contain clauses saying you lose your money even if the company cancels, as that's ridiculously unfair. However, this pandemic may, unfortunately, change that.

We should all watch the fine print more closely from now on.

Wow. This seems like such a change from the previous update you gave us on this. I had thought you were resolving it. It's like they're giving you whiplash with their back and forth run around. Quark and Scott Dunn are definitely on my no list now.

But seriously: if they don't refund you, get your bank involved and on it. They cannot charge you for something they did not provide, and while you may be contractually obligated to forfeit deposit, they most likely cannot legally keep all your money while providing nothing.

Travel contracts don't generally contain clauses saying you lose your money even if the company cancels, as that's ridiculously unfair. However, this pandemic may, unfortunately, change that.

We should all watch the fine print more closely from now on.
One of the tours I'd set up for my pre-days for my Rhone River cruise was listed as non-refundable. They cancelled the tour, and sent me a link to a Google document and said to fill it out with my information, and they'd process a credit "after this crisis is over". Because they'd had to let all of their support team go. So a) when is "this crisis over"? b) I really don't want a credit because c) it sounds possible this company may not be *around* after this crisis. And d) *they* cancelled. So I contacted my credit card company, and they agreed that I should be getting a refund since they cancelled, and "non-refundable" does not apply under these circumstances. They have provisionally credited my account, and will let me know the final outcome after they (try to) contact the company. We shall see what happens. But contacting my credit card turned out to be the best way to handle this.

Sayhello

One of the tours I'd set up for my pre-days for my Rhone River cruise was listed as non-refundable. They cancelled the tour, and sent me a link to a Google document and said to fill it out with my information, and they'd process a credit "after this crisis is over". Because they'd had to let all of their support team go. So a) when is "this crisis over"? b) I really don't want a credit because c) it sounds possible this company may not be *around* after this crisis. And d) *they* cancelled. So I contacted my credit card company, and they agreed that I should be getting a refund since they cancelled, and "non-refundable" does not apply under these circumstances. They have provisionally credited my account, and will let me know the final outcome after they (try to) contact the company. We shall see what happens. But contacting my credit card turned out to be the best way to handle this.

Sayhello

I’ve had these situations in the past and have called the CC company. I had a tour through the Ritz Carlton Cairo and they had to cancel because the museum tour stopped taking private tours. Even after 30 days as asked by the Ritz. No refund. I even called the main Ritz customer service line - no help. Called my CC and they fixed it immediately. No issues.

I have an Alaskan tour that I’ve patiently waited 30 days and nothing. I’m about to email the tour provider and if necessary call my CC for that. It was refundable so not quite the same thing.

I had a non refundable deposit on a Romanian tour that I had to cancel after the travel ban. I didn’t pursue that one since it was specifically non refundable. I don’t know. They were really nice and spent time designing a trip for us. They gave us a credit to be used anytime. I just left it at that. Hopefully they make it and we can tour with them some day.

Personal call of course, but from my experience, you probably won’t get any pushback from your CC.

I’ve had these situations in the past and have called the CC company. I had a tour through the Ritz Carlton Cairo and they had to cancel because the museum tour stopped taking private tours. Even after 30 days as asked by the Ritz. No refund. I even called the main Ritz customer service line - no help. Called my CC and they fixed it immediately. No issues.

I have an Alaskan tour that I’ve patiently waited 30 days and nothing. I’m about to email the tour provider and if necessary call my CC for that. It was refundable so not quite the same thing.

I had a non refundable deposit on a Romanian tour that I had to cancel after the travel ban. I didn’t pursue that one since it was specifically non refundable. I don’t know. They were really nice and spent time designing a trip for us. They gave us a credit to be used anytime. I just left it at that. Hopefully they make it and we can tour with them some day.

Personal call of course, but from my experience, you probably won’t get any pushback from your CC.

A CC calling up will get a company moving. Sometimes, it's the only way to get their attention.

I'm not sure I'd push for refund if being offered a credit instead, in most cases, but the company being unwilling to even discuss refunding, when it's not your fault you aren't getting your trip you paid for, would make me never want to do business with said company again. So, I'd push for a refund and be done with them.

We got our ABD boxes, today, for our August 9 Rhine Cruise . . . PIF is in 9 days. I was really hoping Ama would throw us a line and cancel the rest of the summer cruises by this point. Does anyone think it's odd that we got our boxes for an August ABD but I never got anything for my July 19 SoCal/DL? Or should I not read into anything?!

We got our ABD boxes, today, for our August 9 Rhine Cruise . . . PIF is in 9 days. I was really hoping Ama would throw us a line and cancel the rest of the summer cruises by this point. Does anyone think it's odd that we got our boxes for an August ABD but I never got anything for my July 19 SoCal/DL? Or should I not read into anything?!
I'd like a box even if my trip was cancelled! I heard there are nice luggage straps. I could use several of those.

I'd like a box even if my trip was cancelled! I heard there are nice luggage straps. I could use several of those.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing! I haven't opened it yet. I think it's just going to make me sad knowing, even if that ship sails, we probably won't be on it. I don't see ourselves going to Europe this summer unless something changes drastically.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing! I haven't opened it yet. I think it's just going to make me sad knowing, even if that ship sails, we probably won't be on it. I don't see ourselves going to Europe this summer unless something changes drastically.
I have the same dilemma! I am waiting out my July ABD. I haven't decided if I want a full refund or move it because I have a placeholder anyway I need to use up. I wouldn't mind a box while I'm waiting. :goodvibes

We received our box in the middle of March weeks before our May Greece trip was canceled. I wouldn’t look to much into receiving the box yet, based off what happened with us.
Same thing here. I received my box at least 2 months ago for my May Rhone River cruise that was canceled. I *am* glad I got a new luggage strap, but it makes me a bit sad...

Sayhello

July 4 to Norway. No boxes received. I’m thinking they purposely haven’t sent boxes for our trip knowing it will be cancelled.

We got our ABD boxes, today, for our August 9 Rhine Cruise . . . PIF is in 9 days. I was really hoping Ama would throw us a line and cancel the rest of the

summer cruises by this point. Does anyone think it's odd that we got our boxes for an August ABD but I never got anything for my July 19 SoCal/DL? Or should I not read into anything?!

PLEASE DO NOT PAY your Balance YOU will not be Allowed INTO EUROPE FULL STOP.

ALL BORDERS Are CLosed from Country to Country and there Could be a slight hint of

Travel in June BUT Travel from Outside Europe is Slim till late August

ALL Hotels Are Closed till further Notice

Sounds like we were on the same trip. No box yet, and we are holding our breath about the PIF date.

Are you sick of me yet? I am sick of me! My PIF for Boston August is due this Friday. I keep thinking how is this going to happen social distance on Freedom trail? The awesome goodbye dinner they have on this trip etc. I am so torn b/c this was a placeholder trip. If I play chicken with them and they cancel, I am refunded in full. For the first time I bought airfare thru them and this has been a mistake because due to COVID my entire summer schedule has changed and I needed to shift the airfare by two days (arrive 2 days early instead of staying 2 days later). Nope they can't do that even though all airlines, including Delta whom I booked thru, always changes with no charges. No this is not in their contract with hDelta.

So my choices are

1. to walk away from 1100.00 and go somewhere on my own this summer that is my outdoorsy and not so tight quarters city. On our own, no tour - Arizona, etc.

2. Continue the game of chicken and hope this trip isn't altered in some way that it isn't as enjoyable. I am disappointed b/c we had plans on visiting Nantucket before etc. and this all depends on ABD for August.

I weirdly thought today would be the day that they cancelled July and allowed August people to move. I would prefer to move this to NEXT late May early June but placeholder and all.....
Thanks! Melissa

My PIF for Boston August is due this Friday. I keep thinking how is this going to happen social distance on Freedom trail?
If you do go, I'll be interested to hear how you like it. I'm originally from that area and worked in the city for several years. Been in FL for 6+ years now and sometimes miss things up there.

Are you sick of me yet? I am sick of me! My PIF for Boston August is due this Friday. I keep thinking how is this going to happen social distance on Freedom trail? The awesome goodbye dinner they have on this trip etc. I am so torn b/c this was a placeholder trip. If I play chicken with them and they cancel, I am refunded in full. For the first time I bought airfare thru them and this has been a mistake because due to COVID my entire summer schedule has changed and I needed to shift the airfare by two days (arrive 2 days early instead of staying 2 days later). Nope they can't do that even though all airlines, including Delta whom I booked thru, always changes with no charges. No this is not in their contract with hDelta.

So my choices are

1. to walk away from 1100.00 and go somewhere on my own this summer that is my outdoorsy and not so tight quarters city. On our own, no tour - Arizona, etc.

2. Continue the game of chicken and hope this trip isn't altered in some way that it isn't as enjoyable. I am disappointed b/c we had plans on visiting Nantucket before etc. and this all depends on ABD for August.

I weirdly thought today would be the day that they cancelled July and allowed August people to move. I would prefer to move this to NEXT late May early June but placeholder and all.....
Thanks! Melissa

I'm not familiar with the placeholder rules - do you think ABD would let you move the date? As time goes on, they seem to be getting more flexible with their terms and conditions. I know with my July trip, they allowed me to put it into "displaced" status so I could still take advantage of discounts when I re-book. I'm just wondering if it's worth asking if you could put the deposit back into placeholder status?

I, too, wish there would be some news about summer. Everything is so up in the air right now and government authorities are being so ambiguous with opening dates, restrictions, etc. I've been watching MA closely because DS12 is supposed to go to summer school there this year. His tuition is completely non-refundable at this point and they say they won't even know if they are opening until about two weeks before the opening date - ugh. I believe MA just extended stay-at-home until May 18 and have given no indication as to how and when they are re-opening any part of the state. It's really frustrating. It seems we are heading into 2 months straight of completely ambiguity. I mean, I get it, this is unprecedented and no one really knows the best way to handle it, but it is frustrating nonetheless. I miss the days when we could make advance plans and have some certainty that we could actually keep them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter