Travel Changes?

I wonder how many of us are going to focus on ABDs domestically for the next year or two? The Wyoming and Montana trips are looking more appealing now! As is the SoCal one/Backstage magic.

Truthfully though, most other countries are much safer right now than where we live in thy NYC metro area. I've been working at the hospitals and things are truly horrific, and this is not even as bad as it is in NYC proper. Hopefully we're hitting the peak this week and next week...

The problem is not wanting to be stuck in a hospital far from home.
It's nightmarish enough right now just to be in a hospital, not to have to add the stress of being in a foreign country.

I found this report by Nicholas Kristof on what's happening at 2 NY hospitals to be interesting and heartbreaking.

Totally agree about backstage magic. Even though we lived in SoCal for years and went to DL a lot, I think the stuff at Imagineering looks fascinating.

Also, re: EgyptAir, we had looked into one of the A&K trips to Egypt last year and I was speaking with their travel department. Apparently they don't sell or offer Egypt Air flights to their customers because of its reputation/quality. I've never flown them but I have colleagues that have taken the straight flight from JFK and they've told me its not that bad...

Backstage Magic is the one my husband and i have booked for October, but i'm definitely canceling when we get to PIF.
For us, it's international travel, which i think is out of the question until 2021.
In any case, I don't believe we'll even be able to get travel medical insurance for the US - currently the insurance companies here have discontinued medical coverage for trips to the USA. A rather major obstacle to travel, i would think.

Delta just made more cancellation policy changes last night. Cancel flights through 9/30/2020 with e-credits to 9/30/2022. We will be canceling our 7/31/20 Italy and Switzerland trip. It was never an option that we were going to go and we fully expected Delta to do the great things that they have done. If ABD doesn’t do the same, then we will be our around $1,500. Not making the PIF. Oh well. We now have $9,000 of Delta ecredits. Hawaii anyone?

Last edited:
So Lufthansa just switched my flight from Madrid to Toronto direct flight to one with a layover in Munich this summer. Guess all direct flights must have been cancelled. Wonder if they will let me cancel without fees... they are offering credit to next April only. I expect we will not be flying to Europe then.... If they extend to December, I do have ABD Danube booked to then... although a refund at this point seems better.

Backstage Magic is the one my husband and i have booked for October, but i'm definitely canceling when we get to PIF.
Sorry to hear that Beth. Probably a good decision given the circumstances. When you do re-book, be sure to pick one organized by the DIS (Kevin). He does such a good job of customizing the trips for the Disney fan.

Still hoping our Iceland trip in July goes. I haven't gotten a cancellation from my airline (Icelandair) either. (We already had our March Italy trip cancelled, so if something happens with Iceland it would be our second cancelled trip).

So Lufthansa just switched my flight from Madrid to Toronto direct flight to one with a layover in Munich this summer. Guess all direct flights must have been cancelled. Wonder if they will let me cancel without fees... they are offering credit to next April only. I expect we will not be flying to Europe then.... If they extend to December, I do have ABD Danube booked to then... although a refund at this point seems better.
I don't know what the policy is for Canada, but for the United States, them re-routing you to Munich is enough to warrant a full refund. For Delta it was on their contract of carriage.

Here's a link to Lufthansa's conditions of carriage (if you're really flying Lufthansa & not a codeshare):

https://www.lufthansa.com/rs/en/business-terms-and-conditions-1

I think this is the relevant passage in bold:

Involuntary Refunds
10.2.1. We will give you a refund as set out below if we cancel a flight, fail to operate a flight according to the timetable, fail to stop at your destination or stopping places, or cause you to miss a connecting flight for which you hold a reservation:

10.2.1.1. If you have not used any portion of the ticket, an amount equal to the airfare paid,

10.2.1.2. If you have already used a portion of the ticket, not less than the difference between the fare paid and the fare applicable to the segments you have already flown.

It can't hurt to call them and try. Tell them you believe them changing your flight from a non-stop to a layover in Munich qualifies you for a full refund due to their "Conditions of Carriage". Be firm but nice. It worked for me with Delta. Don't cancel until you get a refund or a credit that is good for a long enough period that you can live with.

Sayhello

Last edited:

So today was our PIF day for our July 17th trip to Germany, 90 days out from the tour. Had been holding out hoping AbD would cancel, though I knew that was unlikely. Called today to discuss options. As I expected, they were not willing to delay PIF any further and they were not willing to refund the deposit. Those would have been my preferred options.

Initially, we transferred the deposit to holding status. That gave me until 7/1/21 (I guess that was 2 years out from my initial reservation) to transfer my deposit to a new tour. That would have given us the ability to book tours in the summer of 2021 or 2022. With school schedules, we can only take bigger trips in the summer. I figured I could live with that. Unfortunately, we would not get the discount for booking immediately after our last AbD trip which was $500 per person. We are DVC, so we always have access to day 1 pricing. I did ask if they refund the deposit if they ultimately cancel the tour. The answer was no - once in holding status, the deposit could not be refunded. If I completed full payment and they cancelled, I would get everything back. I just wasn't comfortable playing chicken with an extra $13000, even though I know this trip is going to be cancelled.

Interestingly, the guide I spoke with called me back about 5 minutes later and offered to switch our deposit to "Displacement status". With this status, I am now required to book a tour by 12/31/20. This essentially locks us in to a 2021 tour. The difference is, they will give us credit for the early/post tour booking discount ($1500 for my family of 3). I asked if this is a standard policy and she said it was on a case by case basis. I guess between calls, she asked and got approval from a manager. I was impressed she went the extra mile. She was very pleasant and helpful. I think in general I was nice to her on the phone, but I did let her know AbD is being destroyed on the message boards about their policies. Not sure if any of that made a difference.

So we did take the "Displacement Status". Figured by the end of the year I'll know if I'm comfortable traveling overseas or if we will take a US tour.

I did ask how many people were still signed up for the tour. She said 20 (I don't know if they all PIF'd or if more will cancel later today). So I'm guessing about 1/2 full.

Afterwards, I called Delta and cancelled my flights. No problem. Took about 5 minutes after 2 whole minutes on hold. Full refund. One of the connecting flights had changed and I would miss my connection so qualified for a refund. They have been so easy to work with. I will be flying with Delta for all of my future trips.

Good luck to everyone else as your payments come due!

We have Lufthansa booked for our August Greece trip (for which we are almost definitely putting our deposit on hold for something in 2021 or 2022). We also want to cancel our flights but don’t want to be stuck with a credit that has to be used by April 2021. I am really hoping their policy changes but I’m worried about it. We are flying out of a small, regional airport and have two connections. I’m hoping one of our connections gets radically changed or cancelled so that we can just deal with it that way.

Sorry to hear that Beth. Probably a good decision given the circumstances. When you do re-book, be sure to pick one organized by the DIS (Kevin). He does such a good job of customizing the trips for the Disney fan.

this trip is organized by the DIS - it's the one that Pete, Kevin and John are going on.
That's why i'd signed up for it and was over the moon about.
Although, given my track record with podcast trips, this one falling through for me shouldn't come as a surprise.
That's why i was so happy to meet everyone in August, after so many years of false starts.
One of these days it will work out. Truth be told, i'm waiting for PIF to cancel because i'm still hoping a miracle will occur between now and then.

Although, given my track record with podcast trips, this one falling through for me shouldn't come as a surprise.
That's why i was so happy to meet everyone in August, after so many years of false starts.
Remind me not to book the same ABD as you. ;)

Oh, and it was nice to meet you and your daughter in August.

We have Lufthansa booked for our August Greece trip (for which we are almost definitely putting our deposit on hold for something in 2021 or 2022). We also want to cancel our flights but don’t want to be stuck with a credit that has to be used by April 2021. I am really hoping their policy changes but I’m worried about it. We are flying out of a small, regional airport and have two connections. I’m hoping one of our connections gets radically changed or cancelled so that we can just deal with it that way.
I hope so too, seems like a very short time frame to use the credit. It improved a little from a few weeks ago. I saw it was only to the end of Dec 2020 then so maybe they will extend as needed...

So today was our PIF day for our July 17th trip to Germany, 90 days out from the tour. Had been holding out hoping AbD would cancel, though I knew that was unlikely. Called today to discuss options. As I expected, they were not willing to delay PIF any further and they were not willing to refund the deposit. Those would have been my preferred options.

Initially, we transferred the deposit to holding status. That gave me until 7/1/21 (I guess that was 2 years out from my initial reservation) to transfer my deposit to a new tour. That would have given us the ability to book tours in the summer of 2021 or 2022. With school schedules, we can only take bigger trips in the summer. I figured I could live with that. Unfortunately, we would not get the discount for booking immediately after our last AbD trip which was $500 per person. We are DVC, so we always have access to day 1 pricing. I did ask if they refund the deposit if they ultimately cancel the tour. The answer was no - once in holding status, the deposit could not be refunded. If I completed full payment and they cancelled, I would get everything back. I just wasn't comfortable playing chicken with an extra $13000, even though I know this trip is going to be cancelled.

Interestingly, the guide I spoke with called me back about 5 minutes later and offered to switch our deposit to "Displacement status". With this status, I am now required to book a tour by 12/31/20. This essentially locks us in to a 2021 tour. The difference is, they will give us credit for the early/post tour booking discount ($1500 for my family of 3). I asked if this is a standard policy and she said it was on a case by case basis. I guess between calls, she asked and got approval from a manager. I was impressed she went the extra mile. She was very pleasant and helpful. I think in general I was nice to her on the phone, but I did let her know AbD is being destroyed on the message boards about their policies. Not sure if any of that made a difference.

So we did take the "Displacement Status". Figured by the end of the year I'll know if I'm comfortable traveling overseas or if we will take a US tour.

I did ask how many people were still signed up for the tour. She said 20 (I don't know if they all PIF'd or if more will cancel later today). So I'm guessing about 1/2 full.

Afterwards, I called Delta and cancelled my flights. No problem. Took about 5 minutes after 2 whole minutes on hold. Full refund. One of the connecting flights had changed and I would miss my connection so qualified for a refund. They have been so easy to work with. I will be flying with Delta for all of my future trips.

Good luck to everyone else as your payments come due!

Thanks so much for the update. My PIF for SoCal/DL is on Monday and I have been waiting until the very last minute to call ABD and figure out what I'm going to do. My first inclination was to PIF and call their bluff (I just don't think this trip is happening), but I'm starting to have images flash through my head of the trip going ahead, having to wear a mask the whole time and having a vastly changed itinerary. This is a solo trip, so PIF certainly isn't as much as it would be if my family were going with me and I was planning on using my Disney Visa to put off paying the balance, but . . . I don't think I can handle the stress of watching every day to see if this trip is cancelled. Ugh. If they offer me the option of having two years to use my deposit, even if I have to forego any discounts, I may take it. I have so many travel credits at this point that I wouldn't mind the extra time to figure this all out. I feel like shortening the PIF from 120 days to 90 days was just smoke and mirrors. IMHO, ABD is deliberately canceling these trips far after PIF is scheduled putting us all in a position to try to protect our deposits. It's leaving a very bad taste in my mouth. We also have an ABD Rhine cruise scheduled for August with PIF in mid-May. I'm really hoping Ama pulls the plug on that prior to our PIF!

I feel like shortening the PIF from 120 days to 90 days was just smoke and mirrors. IMHO, ABD is deliberately canceling these trips far after PIF is scheduled putting us all in a position to try to protect our deposits. It's leaving a very bad taste in my mouth. We also have an ABD Rhine cruise scheduled for August with PIF in mid-May. I'm really hoping Ama pulls the plug on that prior to our PIF!

We are hoping the same for our Rhine ABD trip. It seems Ama canceling is our biggest hope at this point. It really leaves a terrible feeling towards ABD at the moment.

Agree that the process is set up to guarantee that you take a future trip with AbD. So we will take another trip with them next summer. It’s just too much money to throw away. After that, we will see. I give do give them credit for calling back and finding a way to offer the early booking bonus. But had they just allowed us to cancel, we very likely would have taken multiple future trips with them. You do pay a premium to travel with AbD. When paying a premium price, you expect premium service........

Delta just made more cancellation policy changes last night. Cancel flights through 9/30/2020 with e-credits to 9/30/2022. We will be canceling our 7/31/20 Italy and Switzerland trip. It was never an option that we were going to go and we fully expected Delta to do the great things that they have done. If ABD doesn’t do the same, then we will be our around $1,500. Not making the PIF. Oh well. We now have $9,000 of Delta ecredits. Hawaii anyone?
flights anywhere or just international?

Agree that the process is set up to guarantee that you take a future trip with AbD. So we will take another trip with them next summer. It’s just too much money to throw away. After that, we will see. I give do give them credit for calling back and finding a way to offer the early booking bonus. But had they just allowed us to cancel, we very likely would have taken multiple future trips with them. You do pay a premium to travel with AbD. When paying a premium price, you expect premium service........

Everyone in the travel industry is freaking out so much right now that they are really trying to get all of us to keep credits instead of giving refunds. For example, we cancelled four seasons hualalai on the Big Island last month when all this was starting and their first impulse was to say that I could keep the credit on the deposit (which is equal to 2 nights stay...quite expensive) and use within a year. I had to call back a few times to get them to agree to give a refund. Same applies for ABD. The lesson is to be annoying and keep calling back and you'll eventually get what you want. Sad to say that, but its true.

That trick probably won't work with the airlines though unless they changed your itinerary...

My paid in full with Boston is due in 10 days for August trip. For the first time I bought air thru ABD. Via Delta. Should I pay or walk away? Hate losing the air....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter