Travel Changes?

IRL? 😳 That's not creepy at all.
Care to tell us more about your personal experience? Or have you done that already?
Three years ago I posted something here regarding one of our ABD trips. The same day that I made the post I received a call from ABD which addressed the situation I was pondering. No joke. I asked how they even knew that I was thinking about the situation and they dodged the question. The *only* way they could've known is from the ABD thread on this board. I am not active on any other forum and didn't post anything on any kind of social media.

Three years ago I posted something here regarding one of our ABD trips. The same day that I made the post I received a call from ABD which addressed the situation I was pondering. No joke. I asked how they even knew that I was thinking about the situation and they dodged the question. The *only* way they could've known is from the ABD thread on this board. I am not active on any other forum and didn't post anything on any kind of social media.
I know ABD read these boards, but they don't have any more info than anyone else who posts here. I'm pretty sure ABD just guessed who you were based on clues you gave as to your situation.

Sayhello

I'm in contact with one of the Adventure Guides from our Japan ABD, and she says that the media blew up stuff about the corona virus in Japan at the beginning, and things are really quite stable there, with the percentage of infections vs population extremely low, and no lockdowns or anything. So I would guess that your chances for Japan in June are better than most places, depending on your route getting there.

Sayhello
The Japan situation is really interesting, and DH and I were just discussing today why there hasn't been more in the media about what they've done to seemingly flatten the curve. We've heard a lot about South Korea and testing, but not about Japan.

Just saw that Hawaii has requested no visitors for the next 30 days.

Does anyone know how much the ABD travel protection costs? I'm assuming it is some percentage of the cost of the trip? I have to call them soon and I'm trying to weigh my options if they won't let me park my deposit. If it isn't too cost prohibitive, it may be worth purchasing for the 75% cancel-for-any reason future trip credit. I'm also assuming if ABD cancels and I've purchased the insurance, I would not get the cost of the insurance back?

I don't really know what to do. If they won't let me park the deposit, I may just let it go. I guess I'm feeling a little lucky that this was my solo trip, so the deposit wasn't extraordinarily high. sigh.

Does anyone know how much the ABD travel protection costs? I'm assuming it is some percentage of the cost of the trip? I have to call them soon and I'm trying to weigh my options if they won't let me park my deposit. If it isn't too cost prohibitive, it may be worth purchasing for the 75% cancel-for-any reason future trip credit. I'm also assuming if ABD cancels and I've purchased the insurance, I would not get the cost of the insurance back?

I don't really know what to do. If they won't let me park the deposit, I may just let it go. I guess I'm feeling a little lucky that this was my solo trip, so the deposit wasn't extraordinarily high. sigh.
It's 8% of the trip cost. The insurance is nonrefundable. However, I am curious to know if this insurance transfers to a new trip if ABD cancels it? Or do we have to purchase again?

This 8% is not always the cheapest. Check 'insure-my-trip' or squaremouth first. However, ABD insurance seems to be convenient. I did find that ABD insurance is sometimes cheaper, it just depends on other factors.

It's 8% of the trip cost. The insurance is nonrefundable. However, I am curious to know if this insurance transfers to a new trip if ABD cancels it? Or do we have to purchase again?

This 8% is not always the cheapest. Check 'insure-my-trip' or squaremouth first. However, ABD insurance seems to be convenient. I did find that ABD insurance is sometimes cheaper, it just depends on other factors.
If it transfers it might actually be worth it because the one I have does not transfer and I have to repurchase.

Thank you so much! I typically use a different insurance company for all of our trips, however, I am outside the CFR window for that insurance as I paid my deposit more than 21 days ago. That's why I thought ABD's might be useful as it has the 75% travel credit component even if I purchase it at this late date (as long as I add it at PIF).

Hmm - if I add the insurance and have to cancel, even with the 75% travel credit, it would mean I would be out about $1450. Maybe I should just eat the deposit at this point? It would actually be cheaper to lose the deposit and then re-book the same trip if things look better in a few months.

If it transfers it might actually be worth it because the one I have does not transfer and I have to repurchase.

That's a great question. I purchased third-party insurance for a Mexico trip we were supposed to be on this week and I was able to transfer the insurance to new dates. I just had to pick the new dates prior to my original check-in date. I will definitely ask ABD!

Thank you so much! I typically use a different insurance company for all of our trips, however, I am outside the CFR window for that insurance as I paid my deposit more than 21 days ago. That's why I thought ABD's might be useful as it has the 75% travel credit component even if I purchase it at this late date (as long as I add it at PIF).

Hmm - if I add the insurance and have to cancel, even with the 75% travel credit, it would mean I would be out about $1450. Maybe I should just eat the deposit at this point? It would actually be cheaper to lose the deposit and then re-book the same trip if things look better in a few months.
Yes another advantage to ABD insurance is being able to add CFAR anytime prior to PIF.

Can you park the deposit without loosing it?

I have a Thomson update. My TA just confirmed they are moving our PIF date to 60 days from 90 days. So now our PIF date is April 21, and not March 22. She is still working with them to find out if their new policy about being able to cancel up to 30 days out would apply to our trip and, if so, what time limit there might be as to when we would need to use the travel credit. But I'm hoping we won't be in the position of paying in full on April 20 and then wanting to cancel on or prior to May 20.

@Calfan, does Thomson always include travel insurance with booking or was this a special?

We have travelled with Thomson on 2 occasions, and travel insurance was included both times.

I actually couldn't remember if this was a benefit we received for plunking down a deposit in 2017 for this 2020 Japan trip (we did lock in 2017 pricing by doing this) or something that is always included. But it seems right that I didn't buy separate travel insurance when we did China with Thomson in 2016. Not having to buy travel insurance makes the credit card fee a little easier to swallow....

As Griffdog noted, if the hotel is canceled for you, it's probably gonna be canceled for ABD. I don't see this trip going. I don't see any Europe trips, especially to Italy, Spain or France this year at all.

Sorry I had been posting on this thread, but haven't posted for a few days. Unfortunately I agree with this. Several sets of relatives tell us how grim it is in Italy right now and Spain and France are closely behind. I think once they even begin to ease travel restriction it will be a long slow road back. In addition may of the smaller hotels and restaurants my never open again as the blow to the economy is huge.

On a positive note, we are on Day 9 of my husband being back from Italy and no signs of illness but we are still quarantining. I am dealing with helping my firm transition to work from home for the past week or so too.

This is all so surreal. I was supposed to be in Italy as we speak and usually go twice a year. Last night we said going this year may not even be feasible, but I guess we shall see. And with what is going on here who knows if that can even be a priority by then.

Trying to stay positive, but it is hard for sure with the uncertainty.

Last edited:
I'm in contact with one of the Adventure Guides from our Japan ABD, and she says that the media blew up stuff about the corona virus in Japan at the beginning, and things are really quite stable there, with the percentage of infections vs population extremely low, and no lockdowns or anything. So I would guess that your chances for Japan in June are better than most places, depending on your route getting there.

Sayhello
The Japan situation is really interesting, and DH and I were just discussing today why there hasn't been more in the media about what they've done to seemingly flatten the curve. We've heard a lot about South Korea and testing, but not about Japan.

Just saw that Hawaii has requested no visitors for the next 30 days.

i would take what the Japan ABD adventure guide said with a grain of salt. Actually, more like a kilo.

The numbers of actual cases in Japan are most likely much higher than the numbers that are being shown as confirmed.
The Japanese government is not testing.
They have the tests available, they're just doing very little testing.
They make all sorts of bogus claims as to why they're doing so little testing, but no doubt it's an attempt to make things look better than they are as the olympic games draw closer.

The numbers are most certainly much higher than the Japanese are claiming.

Last edited:
'
as for Italy, 475 people died there today from corona virus
beyond all comprehension...
bringing the total number who have died in Italy so far to 2,978

and total confirmed cases in Italy is 35,713 - having increased today by 4,207

and there are now 2,257 people in Italy in serious/critical condition..
'

Last edited:
i would take what the Japan ABD adventure guide said with a grain of salt. Actually, more like a kilo.

The numbers of actual cases in Japan are most likely much higher than the numbers that are being shown as confirmed.
The Japanese government is not testing.
They have the tests available, they're just doing very little testing.
They make all sorts of bogus claims as to why they're doing so little testing, but no doubt it's an attempt to make things look better than they are as the olympic games draw closer.

The numbers are most certainly much higher than the Japanese are claiming.

I have wondered this as it seems strange their numbers are not really increasing and the Diamond Princess cases are still a good number of their cases. It does make you wonder though, as delaying the Olympics would be devastating.

I have wondered this as it seems strange their numbers are not really increasing and the Diamond Princess cases are still a good number of their cases. It does make you wonder though, as delaying the Olympics would be devastating.

there are articles all over the Japanese press attacking the government for not testing..
the government claims that testing doesn't serve a clinical purpose, so they're only doing limited testing for epidemiological research.
As i said, bogus excuses. What they're really doing is attempting to make it look like everything is A-OK.

Yes another advantage to ABD insurance is being able to add CFAR anytime prior to PIF.

Can you park the deposit without loosing it?

I'm not sure. I really need to call and ask. Honestly, I've been putting it off. Like many of us, I've fallen into a bit of a funk. It took a bit of wrangling to unwind the trip we were supposed to be on now. Picking up the phone and potentially wrangling with another travel company is not high on the list of things I want to do right now. I do need to call by Friday though. Parking the deposit would be the best case scenario!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter