Travel Anxiety

I've flown both Delta and Southwest the last few months and received free beverages/coffee and snacks sitting in the peasants section. :p I'll be flying American for the first time in a few weeks. I'll report back on their free offerings. ;)

But I got free full meals, a snack, and beer flying United international! Not a measly half can of soda and a packet of crackers.

I completely agree. I love being away but just hate the process of getting there! As a child I remember my mom being agitated before travelling. I could never understand it... "what's the problem Mom? This is fun!" Oh I get it all right now! My family tolerates my need to be at the gate ridiculously early though. Anxiety management! :sad2:

I completely agree. I love being away but just hate the process of getting there! As a child I remember my mom being agitated before travelling. I could never understand it... "what's the problem Mom? This is fun!" Oh I get it all right now! My family tolerates my need to be at the gate ridiculously early though. Anxiety management! :sad2:
Yes, I am mercilessly mocked for needing to get to the gate early, but they do it! Makes for a happier me. 🙂

I totally feel the same way - I used to love the airport and flying. I think I missed too many flights and had my bag lost too many times - the older I get, the worse my travel anxiety is getting. Packing is super stressful for me - I could spend 6 hours packing a suitcase (my boyfriend thinks this is unreasonable - "What are you doing?! What's taking so long?"). I have to make sure that I have everything, and that it's packed in the correct bag (too risky to check? will I need this? gotta put it in the carry-on) and that I can easily rearrange my suitcase if I happen to hit the 50 lb limit!

I try to remind myself (on trips where applicable) that I'm not going to some remote location where I won't have anything... I can always purchase what I forgot when I get there). But anxiety doesn't reason. No amount of logic can slow down my heart rate. I'm not at ease until I'm at my destination.

You're not alone. Remember the old days of just running to the airport about 30 minutes before your flight and getting on the plane. We old folks "came up" in that era and it's hard to forget. I find flying absolute DRUDGERY anymore and the conditions on the plane with the cramped space, cranky stewards, and no-frills feels just suck the joy out of it. The thoughts of taking any flight over 2 hours has stopped me from doing a lot. Just over it.
Agreed. But then again they used to allow smoking on planes.

The older I get, the more apprehensive I get traveling. I used to relish the trip, the airports, all that, but in recent years, I find myself dreading the whole process. I like the destinations, but the process of getting there is becoming more and more unnerving.

Me too! It makes me not want to travel because of the logistics of getting there can be challenging. I don’t know if it’s because I don’t travel a lot or if traveling with kids makes things worse. The security checks are a pain cause now everything has to come out of the bag that’s bigger than a phone.

Me too!! I agree with the logistics thing. And we’ve had some horrible experiences. So for peace of mind it’s just nonstop flights and carryons.

I like the idea of TSA precheck for all of us. 👍🏻

I never had that anxiety. I don't like long road trips, but that is more whining and complaining than anxiety.

I am used to the airport since it was part of my life for 20 years, and still is for dh. I have Global Entry which gives you the TSA pre-check perks. I admit, I would NOT like the regular security. And I do miss bringing larger toiletries in my carry on luggage.

If you go on the legacy carriers (Delta, American, United) they still serve the snacks and drinks for domestic service. Delta has never done away with it, and I don't think the others have either. The discounted airlines nickel and dime with drinks, but the majority of them now charge for pre assigned seats. (I hate that too)

I still love to travel, I hope that never changes.

I too no longer enjoy travelling by plane, it's a terrible experience back to front. I merely tolerate the experience. Xanax does wonders.
Traveling by train is fine, though TSA is trying to get their bloody claws into that experience as well.
Long car trips are a non-starter.

I've found that we're leaning more towards first class flights the past few years; it takes the edge off and reminds us of flying (coach - domestic first class is crap compared to foreign carriers) back in the 80's.

And again, Xanax.

It can be overwhelming. I usually have dreams about missing the plane/ ship etc. Usually the week right before going away is the most hectic.

My travel anxiety is car related. I've been stuck with a flat on the way home from the airport (it's a 50 mile drive) and I always freak out worrying it will happen on the way TO the airport.

Also nearly missed a flight thanks to our airport being under construction and the lots being full.

Lots of car accidents and crazy drivers where I live, so I'm a nervous driver.

Once I am through security and waiting for a plane I am totally calm.

I've flown both Delta and Southwest the last few months and received free beverages/coffee and snacks sitting in the peasants section. :p I'll be flying American for the first time in a few weeks. I'll report back on their free offerings. ;)

Ooh, on American you get the Biscoff cookies. I love those!

In agreement with pretty much everyone else* in this thread, flying sucks and adds an negative element into what would otherwise be an enjoyable event. I don't have fear of flying, I just dread the whole TSA business and the discomfort of planes.

I did have a flight this week where the TSA people were actually pleasant and polite, but it was midday mid-week and the airport wasn't busy at all. The frustration is that it doesn't have to be that way, but most of the people who do those jobs aren't trained or have the disposition to deal with the traveling public.

I've never taken Xanax, maybe I'll ask the doc for some prior to my next trip.:)

* @low-key Jason WTH, "nervous energy???" Who needs that???;)

Talk to your doctor.
Many people including myself have what I call "airport anxiety".
I also have restless leg syndrome that gets really bad when I'm flying
My doctor has no problem prescribing me something for when I fly.

You're not alone. Remember the old days of just running to the airport about 30 minutes before your flight and getting on the plane. We old folks "came up" in that era and it's hard to forget. I find flying absolute DRUDGERY anymore and the conditions on the plane with the cramped space, cranky stewards, and no-frills feels just suck the joy out of it. The thoughts of taking any flight over 2 hours has stopped me from doing a lot. Just over it.

Yes, back in the day, it was super nice. Now, first class wasn't as "nice" back then. Lie flat seats are a newish thing. But as amenities for those flyers have become more and more extravagant, what goes on in the back has become worse and worse. When I started working, in the 80's, and I flew a lot for work, I never remember an issue with leg space. Now, I've either gotten taller (unlikely) or back then, the seat pitch in coach is about what it is today in domestic first class. And, you got meals. And real cutlery. On the other hand, you also had a smoking and non-smoking section of an aircraft. In other words, the entire plane smelled like cigarette smoke. Dreadful. I don't enjoy flying anymore at all. The entire experience is painful. Flying business class makes it less painful, but still not "fun." Or maybe I'm just more crotchety?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter