Travel Agent vs. Doing it Yourself

I have used a TA for my last 3 trips and my upcoming trip. She booked our stay, the tickets, and got all the ADR's that we wanted. My next trip will be with a different TA because my current one seems to be more interested in cruises than Disney vacations. My next trip will be either with Dreams Unlimited or a new friend who is a Disney Travel Agent. I love being able to do some planning but I also love having a TA who "has my back" when things need a little help.

We used a TA for our disneymoon. Our TA was a full time TA and had been to "training" to be a Disney TA.

Pros:
1. Not having to plan the trip all by yourself if you don't know what you are doing.
2. Had access to the TA at most hours of the day but mainly by email rather than phone (could be a pro and con).

Cons: (this is specific to our experience)
1. Did not inform us that it was in our best interest to book ADR's. (We ended up at more than our share of QS meals with the DlxDP and it seemed like a waste)
2. Was actually more expensive than if we had just made the vacation ourselves.
3. We booked our own flight and gave the TA the information and still had to contact the Magical Express to let them know we were coming to make sure we got our luggage tags for the resort.

Since that trip we have made our own trips and learned plenty. We also help family/friends that are going to WDW on their trips from what we learned by trial and error.

I've always done the Disney bookings myself for our family, but we're going in December and I'm finding myself wishing I had found a TA to do things like the dining reservations and fast passes. I find it's getting harder and harder to do it just because availability seems to be less, and it would be helpful to have someone else spending the time doing it instead of me.

I am an agent and I can say that the only Disney vets who use me are friends who want to see me get the commission that Disney builds into every trip whether you use an agent or not. Where I am really useful, though, is Disney Rookies.

I take the time to explain MDE, ME, FP+, EMH, ETC. You know, all those letters that everyone here on the boards understand but newbies don't know about. I keep them on schedule and make sure that they know about making dining reservations 180 days out. I send them reminders, I make restaurant recommendations and, if they want me to, I make reservations.

I had one newbie who, despite my countdown to 60 days, didn't make any FP+ reservations. I kept an eye on his MDE account and managed to snag him some good FP+.

I stay on top of trip planning boards, rumors ect so my clients don't have to and I rebook trips to take advantage of newly advertised discounts and promotions. I have literally spent 3 hours on hold to grab a promotion.

I have had a client call me from a line at an attraction in a panic because he was going to be late for his dining reservation and needed to know if there was a grace period.

I'm not telling you this to grab business because this is Dreams Unlimited's board and it would be rude of me to do that. I am just trying to show why travel agents can be useful - especially to the rookie Disney traveler.

I know this post was from Fall Last year - but nice to see.... I'm a part time TA and I was able to snag free Dining for a Client after 3 hours on hold with Disney TA line.... I was happy to help even though it reduced my commission... I've been able to call prior to client's trips to ask for " a little extra pixie dust " and clients have been upgraded... I just love helping people plan their Disney Trip ... but yes usually those that do not have the time with busy lives or rookies... those on these Boards most likely would feel adrenaline like I do finding a deal :) - ENJOY!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter