Travel agent question

AuntieKels

Mouseketeer
I was talking with a friend of the family who is a travel agent and she said she can't book dining or fast-pass reservations for her clients because Disney (or her company) doesn't want her to. I was surprised because that was the main reason I was wanting to use a travel agent for our first family trip to WDW.

I've been listening to DIS Unplugged for YEARS and I was under the impression they will book those kinds of details for their clients. Is that true?

I was also remembering that at one point DUT offered a gift for booking a Disney Cruise with them. Is that still a thing?

Thanks!

Dreams helps with FP and dining reservations. I've heard them talk about that many times. And yes, they do give a gift for cruise bookings. They send a gift basket with a bunch of travel goodies. I think you also get an onboard credit.

Dreams helps with FP and dining reservations. I've heard them talk about that many times. And yes, they do give a gift for cruise bookings. They send a gift basket with a bunch of travel goodies. I think you also get an onboard credit.
They help with FP’s?? Didn’t know that. I wonder how?

Different agencies will have different “policies”. I once worked for one that didn’t allow discount checking after a client booked! I believe I’m correct in saying any Disney specializing agent or agency would help with dining. FP’s can vary. Most agents will do this when a client requests it, I personally strongly recommend a client do this on their own with my tips and suggestions.

Couple reasons, first being fp is a little different than dining in that there can be several little decisions and change ups to be made for each day based on attraction and time availability. Second is I think fast passes can be a little fluid once onsite. Personally, once I’m at Disney I’m often adjusting and manipulating as my day goes. If a client hasn’t been part of the process in booking, they are often not comfortable with the system and missing out on the benefit of these last minute adjustments.

All of that being said, if a client needs me to do it for whatever reason, I will do it!

Different agencies will have different “policies”. I once worked for one that didn’t allow discount checking after a client booked! I believe I’m correct in saying any Disney specializing agent or agency would help with dining. FP’s can vary. Most agents will do this when a client requests it, I personally strongly recommend a client do this on their own with my tips and suggestions.

Couple reasons, first being fp is a little different than dining in that there can be several little decisions and change ups to be made for each day based on attraction and time availability. Second is I think fast passes can be a little fluid once onsite. Personally, once I’m at Disney I’m often adjusting and manipulating as my day goes. If a client hasn’t been part of the process in booking, they are often not comfortable with the system and missing out on the benefit of these last minute adjustments.

All of that being said, if a client needs me to do it for whatever reason, I will do it!
@DSNYDREAMER - Awesome, thanx so MUCH for coming here, and answering!!!

I booked through a Travel Agent and she was able to do ADRs and FP+, although I did them myself also. Just a FYI if you do book through a travel agent you cannot call Disney for any reservation related questions or requests, as it is in a “different system.” It has been very frustrating for me and I will not use a TA again.

How are TA's making FP+ reservations? Are clients giving them their MDE passwords?

Yes, we ask clients for their login information so that we may plan with them in their MDE account. (for those clients that want us too). They are able to see everything that is booked, and then modify if they choose. We are not able to see information like credit card numbers, as these are XXX out in the account anyways. Some clients will set a temporary password for the length of time we are working on their reservation, and then change it once they travel.

I booked through a Travel Agent and she was able to do ADRs and FP+, although I did them myself also. Just a FYI if you do book through a travel agent you cannot call Disney for any reservation related questions or requests, as it is in a “different system.” It has been very frustrating for me and I will not use a TA again.

It is the same system, however when you book with a TA, the agency "owns" the reservation. This means all changes to the reservation must go through the agency. This is to protect both us and the client. There needs to be one person with the ability to change and modify to keep everyone on the same page. The same is true for questions. When deciding to use an agent, that is where your questions should be directed for consistency of message.

I have to say...using an agent is not for everyone and I completely recognize that.

I love my Dreams agent and all she does for me with booking adr's, salon stuff etc, but I do my own fps because like Tracy said it is so fluid. Having done them at 4 this morning and not being able to fall back asleep for an hour before having to get up for my flight home from SF I'm kind of regretting that decision :) But I was able to tweak stuff on the ride to the airport after I had woken up a bit more. Plus I can take the time to stalk fps for FOP and SDD which I would ask my agent to do when she's already checking for discounts each day.

Different agencies will have different “policies”.

Exactly. Travel Agents have polices based on their expertise or situations that have arisen in the course of business.
My Travel Agent will book everything for Disney.

However her agency no longer sells Travel Insurance. They even make clients sign an acknowledgement that their agency "has no recommendation about whether a client buys travel insurance".
It was a business decision made after a costly legal battle involving a Travel Insurance company, a client, and the client's employer. Client bought Travel Insurance and had his employer cancel his vacation the day before he was to depart on an expensive cruise. Travel insurance paid up promptly, then turned around and sued the employer to recover what they paid out. Employer was ordered to make restitution to the insurance company. But my Travel Agent ran up tens of thousands of dollars in legal bills when they were named in a counter suit filed by the employer, a counter suit the employer lost.

Exactly. Travel Agents have polices based on their expertise or situations that have arisen in the course of business.
My Travel Agent will book everything for Disney.

However her agency no longer sells Travel Insurance. They even make clients sign an acknowledgement that their agency "has no recommendation about whether a client buys travel insurance".
It was a business decision made after a costly legal battle involving a Travel Insurance company, a client, and the client's employer. Client bought Travel Insurance and had his employer cancel his vacation the day before he was to depart on an expensive cruise. Travel insurance paid up promptly, then turned around and sued the employer to recover what they paid out. Employer was ordered to make restitution to the insurance company. But my Travel Agent ran up tens of thousands of dollars in legal bills when they were named in a counter suit filed by the employer, a counter suit the employer lost.
YIKES!!

Yes, we ask clients for their login information so that we may plan with them in their MDE account. (for those clients that want us too). They are able to see everything that is booked, and then modify if they choose. We are not able to see information like credit card numbers, as these are XXX out in the account anyways. Some clients will set a temporary password for the length of time we are working on their reservation, and then change it once they travel.

This is what the TA I am considering does (it is a different company). I'm comfortable with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter