Travel Agency Perks: What is Normal?

LifeWithLouie

Mouseketeer
Ok... we have a question. This is the first time that we will be going on a Disney cruise. We are still a year out, but we are looking for a cruise on the Disney Treasure. We are also a larger family and we will be getting at least 3 cabins.

Having watched the Dis for so long, I mentioned that with this big of an order, we should probably be getting some nice onboard credit. The family member whose arranging the planning relays that the travel agent (not Dreams Unlimited) said that it's "too soon and too high demand. You get more concessions the closer to the date."

Meaning? Is this how it works? If the cost is the same through the cruise line or the travel agency... what's the point of using a travel agent without credit or perks back? .. Or, is this a sign that a different agency would be a better choice?

Thanks for your answers.

Last edited:
Ok... we have a question. This is the first time that we will be going on a Disney cruise. We are still a year out, but we are looking for a cruise on the Disney Treasure. We are also a larger family and we will be getting at least 3 cabins. (This is the part where I should mention that the person doing all of the planning is not a person who really knows travel, and it's driving me nuts.)

Having watched the Dis for so long, I mentioned that with this big of an order, we should probably be getting some nice onboard credit. The family member whose arranging the planning relays that the travel agent (not Dreams Unlimited) said that it's "too soon and too high demand. You get more concessions the closer to the date."

Meaning? Is this how it works? If the cost is the same through the cruise line or the travel agency... what's the point of using a travel agent without credit or perks back? .. Or, is this a sign that a different agency would be a better choice?

Thanks for your answers.
Different agencies may (or may not) have different perks for using them. Anything from a free photo package, a bottle of wine, or onboard credit of varying amounts.

You'll need to talk to other agencies about what, if any, perks you might get if you use them.

In my experience you get onboard credit based on the price of the cruise. The more it costs, the more credit you get. Sounds like the travel agent that is being used here either doesn’t have a program with DCL or is withholding info.
For reference, I booked Treasure sailing on the date bookings opened, and am getting a cash rebate from Costco that is roughly the same as other rebates I have gotten from them on similarly priced cruises. A few years ago I sailed on the Wish on one of the inaugural sailings and got onboard credit from a travel agency. So the info you are being told just doesn’t seem right.
You could price it out yourself by going to the Costco travel page and doing a dummy booking, to see how much cash rebate is offered for that sailing. Or find a travel agency that provides instant online quotes to get a quick sense of what the OBC should be.

It sounds like the TA may be talking about some sort of deal from DCL directly? Like *GT deals or something? Maybe the TA means that they offer more deals closer to the sailing, but that doesn't make sense from a business standpoint so my guess is it's a misunderstanding somewhere.

My guess is this travel agency doesn't specialize in Disney cruises. Other cruise lines have special package rates closer to sale dates...free specialty dining, drink packages, etc. Disney doesn't do that. And with the Treasure being a brand new ship, it likely won't have the discounted restricted guarantee rates that Disney offers on cruises that aren't selling well. Generally for Disney, prices are cheapest when the itineraries open, and just go up in price from there. You definitely want a different travel agency. A lot of agencies will do onboard credit and advertise that. We use Dreams Unlimited who is a sponsor of these boards, for the onboard credit.

I agree with PPs - I think something was lost in translation (you know the old “telephone” game?) between you —> the planner —> TA and back. It sounds like your planner has already selected a TA, who likely doesn’t do a big DCL business. The TA’s response seems to be talking about special last minute offers or discounts.

The question to ask is “what (if anything) does this TA offer as a thank you for using her service?” As @PrincessShmoo mentioned — this could be anything (or nothing) from s bottle of wine to a few hundred OBC.

Some cruise lines offer deals that include an onboard credit. That may be what the travel agent was talking about. Disney Cruise Line does not offer those kinds of deals. As others have mentioned, DCL sometimes offers discounted cruises with restrictions (full payment at time of booking, no changes to guests or cabins, no ability to choose a specific cabin) but is unlikely to even do that for Treasure cruises in the first few months.

All agencies that sell Disney Cruises sell them at the same price. Prices tend to rise over time and very rarely go down. Some travel agencies use part of their commission to provide onboard credits for guests. That’s what Dreams Unlimited does. Costco Travel gives a gift card instead of an onboard credit.

It sounds like the travel agency your family is using does not provide that sort of credit.

There are advantages to using a travel agency even without perks, especially with a group. If changes need to be made, the travel agent can spend time on the phone with Disney so you or your travel partners don’t have to.

If you book a placeholder onboard to use for your next cruise, you can book it directly without using this travel agency, then transfer to a different agency if you want better (or different) benefits.

If it is as stated your TA doesnt understand DCL.
You could get some quotes with perks from various TAs and send them to the person doing the planning. That way everyone can see what is offered by different TAs and its not a he said ...or I think he meant....Or at least gently nudge the person to check around.
Of course you may risk some hurt feelings but it seems that's a possibility anyway because you said this person doesn't know anything and it's driving you nuts. Those are strong feelings that may come out regardless. If so maybe just try to relax, appreciate the effort, be glad you aren't responsible, and let this person feel good that they are doing something for the group. Maybe she needs to feel she is contributing. She needs a win in her life. Let her have it. IDK ...maybe...at any rate
Enjoy and have fun with the planning process. I love it.

Some cruise lines offer deals that include an onboard credit. That may be what the travel agent was talking about. Disney Cruise Line does not offer those kinds of deals. As others have mentioned, DCL sometimes offers discounted cruises with restrictions (full payment at time of booking, no changes to guests or cabins, no ability to choose a specific cabin) but is unlikely to even do that for Treasure cruises in the first few months.

All agencies that sell Disney Cruises sell them at the same price. Prices tend to rise over time and very rarely go down. Some travel agencies use part of their commission to provide onboard credits for guests. That’s what Dreams Unlimited does. Costco Travel gives a gift card instead of an onboard credit.

It sounds like the travel agency your family is using does not provide that sort of credit.

There are advantages to using a travel agency even without perks, especially with a group. If changes need to be made, the travel agent can spend time on the phone with Disney so you or your travel partners don’t have to.

If you book a placeholder onboard to use for your next cruise, you can book it directly without using this travel agency, then transfer to a different agency if you want better (or different) benefits.
This has been our experience. Disney works pretty hard to keep prices the same no matter how you book. So I am surprised by some who say your travel agent doesn't understand Disney. It is a Disney difference.
However, I do have admit, there are a LOT of inexperienced Travel Agents out there now who lack basic travel knowledge. And a lot of them are also YouTube Vloggers it seems. They seem SHOCKED to discover that to go to many countries, your passport should be good for at least six months AFTER your return date, or that some countries require visas that require a fee and personal information. So, buyer be ware.

So I am surprised by some who say your travel agent doesn't understand Disney.
I think it's more the question about OBC that points to the TA not knowing a lot about DCL. Not the pricing. A TA who books a lot of DCL likely is aware of the tiered commission structure that DCL uses -- agencies who book a lot of reservations for DCL get higher commission, and many of those in turn share some of that back with the customer in the form of OBC.

f the cost is the same through the cruise line or the travel agency... what's the point of using a travel agent without credit or perks back?

OP -- it's not necessarily a "bad" thing to use a TA who doesn't offer OBC. As PPs have stated, no TA will get a lower price; DCL does not allow any TA to discount their cruises. The TA hopefully will help with planning -- transportation, pre/post-cruise plans, excursions, and hopefully advising about onboard experiences, etc. For a large party of "at least 3 cabins" and presumably multiple family units, organizing and arranging all of that is no small feat in and of itself. If this is a TA that your planner has used in the past and has a good relationship with this TA, then that is a good thing. If your planner just randomly chose some TA at the local strip mall simply because they are local, it's probably hit-or-miss. Unless you are offering to take on the full planning duties, I'd let the planner go with her TA of choice and just appreciate the trip (and likely maintain peace in the family).

My TA always offers the same OBC based on price no matter when I book. I think they actually have it on their website. It's really the only reason I use a TA. I usually just dictate exactly what I want anyway, so I really have no need for a TA.

Ok... we have a question. This is the first time that we will be going on a Disney cruise. We are still a year out, but we are looking for a cruise on the Disney Treasure. We are also a larger family and we will be getting at least 3 cabins. (This is the part where I should mention that the person doing all of the planning is not a person who really knows travel, and it's driving me nuts.)

Thanks for your answers.
Perhaps something was lost in translation or they don't specialize in Disney because my clients onboard credit is determined before they've even paid the deposit. I would emphasize using an agent that specializes in Disney because we know the in's and out's that are unique to DCL.

I used a travel agent a few times who definitely knew DCL, the OBC was good the first time and ok the second time (can’t remember exact amounts), the one after that I thought it wasn’t worth not having control of my booking anymore… think $50 or so… not sure… so in essence our OBC got lower and lower with each subsequent sailing even though the price of the cruise was about the same or higher. The reason was never clear to me. Also, the back and forth with the agent at some point actually cost money because prices went up by the time they got back (next day). I get what I need from the DCL agent. Haven’t used an outside agent since. However, if you find one you like and the OBC is significant, try it!

I think I received on board credit once and it wasn't on a Disney cruise. Have made reservations on my own and with a TA and the price doesn't change. What does change is the TA's ability to manage changes etc when I don't have the time. I just have never expected anything I guess.

I'm the vacation planner in my family, I'm no expert but I prefer to do things myself where I can. I book cruises through Costco Travel because their perks can't be beat, from a monetary standpoint. I believe their commission is at the highest level with DCL due to volume and in return they give back a lot (almost half) to the customer in a Costco shop card, which is essentially cash for my family since we go to Costco so much.

Thanks for your answers.
My main reason to use a TA is the onboard credit they offer. My last cruise our 2 cabins brought me over 500 in onboard credit. Research and pick a TA with disney experience that offers onboard credit. It makes no sense to me to use a TA that doesnt offer onboard credit

The point of booking with an experienced travel agent who specializes in Disney Destinations and Disney Cruise Line is to utilize their knowledge, expertise, training, and supplier relationships to help you plan your vacation.

Many travel agencies, especially high-volume or online only agencies, offer a gift with booking or onboard credit offers as a promotion to get you to book with them. Highly qualified but smaller agencies or independent agents may not offer gifts or OBC because that comes out of their personal income.

If you want to plan it all yourself, shop around to find a big agency that offers gifts and OBC. The agency that sponsors these boards is a good example; Costco is also an option if you are okay with their booking terms. If you want or need a lot of planning support or want an advisor who will handle your air, transfers, hotel, get up at midnight to book onboard activities and Port Adventures for you, etc., shop around for someone (especially local) that has the experience you are looking for. You can ask what kind of services they offer, what they can book other than just the cruise, what kind of itineraries and documents then assemble for their clients, if they are on call for emergencies, if they do a pre-travel planning call or are willing to meet in person to review details, etc.

I'd like to strongly second (and third and fourth) everyone saying to find someone with a lot of DCL experience and ask about the OBC ahead of time. I'm a Planner (with a capital P) but the first cruise we booked, I was pretty inexperienced with cruising in general. I just knew I was told ALWAYS USE A TRAVEL AGENT. Previous (non-DCL) cruises were booked by my sister's TA and someone we found local who was... fine. So I searched and found someone who looked good, lots of Disney experience, good reviews online, and booked with her. I did not ask about OBC - either it didn't occur to me or I forgot, I don't remember which it was. When I did get around to asking, she told me she doesn't offer that because her experience and expertise out-value OBC. Sigh fine. I went with it. Spoiler: that was not the case. The communication and effort were really not good. If I asked 3 questions in an email, I got an answer to 1 that was a copy and paste from the DCL website that didn't really answer my question. All I got out of this was frustration. Fortunately, covid came along and we had to cancel. I've been booking on my own since then. To me, the risk of this sort of thing happening again out-values any OBC. I like having the control and I've learned that I do not, in fact, NEED to use a travel agent.

TL;DR really do your research, preferably through word of mouth. And ask what they can offer you ahead of time.

I am also a planner, and frankly, Disney has forced me to take that to a completely different level. I came across a really good travel agent nearly ten years ago. I took some advice from her, and ended up booking on my own with a DVC rental for our first Disney World trip. So when our first Disney cruise came up, I gave her another shot and she helped us navigate multiple cancellations - mostly COVID, but we did have one last-minute cancellation that she did an amazing job on when Disney's customer service was completely overwhelmed back in 2022. We've booked twice with her since; the first cruise we went on, it was only a token credit. That was a little disappointing, but in the grand scheme of things, she had done a heckuva lot of work for us over the years with minimal compensation. So she's absolutely earned my business, and since a little OBC is better than no OBC by booking it myself, I'm sticking with her.

I haven't quite understood the question about "having the control" because AFAIK, I've had pretty much complete control over my reservation. I just work with her instead of the DCL site on the reservation myself, and everything else (excursions/activities/etc.), I'm doing myself anyway.

There's an argument for booking with Costco because of the bigger OBC they offer (and we're members), but I've heard enough horror stories about being on hold with Costco's agents that, for now, I'm going to stick with my agent. She's been amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter