Transportation to Disneyland with powerchair

oynk

Mouseketeer
My daughter uses a power wheelchair. We live near WDW and have an accessible van, so transportation is pretty routine for us here, but now we are trying to figure out a DL trip and I feel like I am in over my head.

I *think* the best thing for us would be for her to just use her own chair since she is comfortable with it. We have flown with the chair before, so I think we are OK with that. Does anyone have any experience with accessible transportation from the airport (Santa Anna) to the hotels near DL? (Staying onsite is not within our budget, but we can walk/wheel a decent distance to get to the main gate). Same thing with a day trip to Knott's Berry Farm?

I just have no idea how reliable accessible public transportation is in the area - or if there is accessible private transportation.

We talked about renting "wheels" when we get there, but she really is not comfortable driving a scooter which seems to be what is available. I also thought about renting an accessible vehicle - but wow!! that is pretty big bucks. I also suggested that I just push her in a manual chair, but she is really opposed to that.

Any experiences, thoughts, or suggestions?

Thanks

I haven’t been since the pandemic and the company I used shut down shortly before and I think both bus services did too. I don’t know of any options now besides using the metro from LAX and I met a full-time WC user traveling solo who used that route exclusively. Even a Disney DVC rep couldn’t say how on-site guests could get from airport to DL with a heavy powerchair.

I use a Fold n Go so it does collapse and can fit into a van and fly too.

Around Anaheim there is the ART bus which goes from hotels to touristy places and especially DL. Cheap and frequent prepandemic and busses are accessible. Many route stops aren’t though and we had a rough time after it rained and wanted to get off at a stop that was grass and mud. Had some magical help though by off-duty maintenance CMs. I’d check Google Maps to see if the stops you want to use are accessible.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter