Transportation Miami to WDW

tpettie

What's a tag and why do I want one...
Looking for shuttle van to take us from Miami port to WDW resort. what are my options.

I just did a bit of googling, and I see that Red Coach offers bus service between Orlando and the Miami cruise terminals. It's about a 5 hour trip. I know nothing about them, never heard of them until just now so I don't know what the service is like or where their Orlando terminal is located. They do pick up at MCO, so if you could get Magical Express back to the airport from your Disney resort, that might work out.

Aside from that, I think your options would be:

rental cars, 4-ish hours depending on traffic
car/limo service
Amtrak does two trips a day down to Miami, I think it's about 6-7 hours
Flight from MCO to MIA, about 1 hour.

We have gone from cruises to WDW three times, renting a car (from Alamo/National) each time. We have used a cab, Lyft, and the car rental shuttle from the Miami port to the car rental center at MIA airport, then returned the car the following day at the resort. Since we stay at BWV, we return the car at the nearby Dolphin hotel, but all the major car rental operations have locations in WDW. National/Alamo are at the Disney Car Care Center, the Dolphin, and one of the hotels in the Disney Springs area along Hotel Plaza Blvd. The others have locations in other of the Hotel Plaza Blvd. hotels. We usually pay about $70 plus tolls and gas for the one-way rental.

We have gone from cruises to WDW three times, renting a car (from Alamo/National) each time. We have used a cab, Lyft, and the car rental shuttle from the Miami port to the car rental center at MIA airport, then returned the car the following day at the resort. Since we stay at BWV, we return the car at the nearby Dolphin hotel, but all the major car rental operations have locations in WDW. National/Alamo are at the Disney Car Care Center, the Dolphin, and one of the hotels in the Disney Springs area along Hotel Plaza Blvd. The others have locations in other of the Hotel Plaza Blvd. hotels. We usually pay about $70 plus tolls and gas for the one-way rental.

This is our plan for our upcoming cruise. What is your average time you arrive in WDW. I haven't disembarked in Miami before, so I'm not familiar with their timing, distance to National car rental, etc. I'm meeting my sisters once we get to WDW I'm trying to be realistic with what time I will be at my resort. I know its about a 4 hour drive, but don't know much more than that.

This is our plan for our upcoming cruise. What is your average time you arrive in WDW. I haven't disembarked in Miami before, so I'm not familiar with their timing, distance to National car rental, etc. I'm meeting my sisters once we get to WDW I'm trying to be realistic with what time I will be at my resort. I know its about a 4 hour drive, but don't know much more than that.
As to the car pickup, I make a 10 am reservation with Alamo at the MIA rental center. In fact, we have typically picked up the car by 9:30 or so and started on our way. Never had a problem with a slightly earlier pickup than on my reservation, since I can return the car by that time the next day and avoid any late charges. We always have breakfast in the MDR and have first seating, so we usually are waiting for our luggage group to be called to leave the ship. That’s been about 9 am or so most times. Getting through customs/immigration is pretty efficient if you use a porter with the luggage as we do, so we’re off the ship and on our way to pick up the car pretty quickly. I cannot help much with specifics on driving time, since we stop for a quick lunch enroute and then make a grocery stop before going to BWV. We usually arrive at the resort between 2:30 and 3 pm, hoping to have a room ready text along the way so we can go directly to our room upon arrival.

As to the car pickup, I make a 10 am reservation with Alamo at the MIA rental center. In fact, we have typically picked up the car by 9:30 or so and started on our way. Never had a problem with a slightly earlier pickup than on my reservation, since I can return the car by that time the next day and avoid any late charges. We always have breakfast in the MDR and have first seating, so we usually are waiting for our luggage group to be called to leave the ship. That’s been about 9 am or so most times. Getting through customs/immigration is pretty efficient if you use a porter with the luggage as we do, so we’re off the ship and on our way to pick up the car pretty quickly. I cannot help much with specifics on driving time, since we stop for a quick lunch enroute and then make a grocery stop before going to BWV. We usually arrive at the resort between 2:30 and 3 pm, hoping to have a room ready text along the way so we can go directly to our room upon arrival.

That is helpful. We won't need groceries because my sister is taking care of that when she arrives the day before. Planning that I should be to the resort by 2 - and hopefully a little sooner - gives me a place to start!

Thanks!

My Dad and I did this once and we rented a car. I believe we took the cruise transportation back to the Miami airport, picked up the rental car, drove to WDW, checked into our hotel, dropped the rental car at the Disney Car Center, and the rental car company took us to our first park of the day. It was about a 4 hour drive once we got the rental car. I know there are rental car companies closer to the cruise terminal that you can probably take an uber/taxi to. My Dad and I just felt like it would be easier for us to go to the airport to pick up the rental. I will say getting the rental car from Miami was a walk once we were dropped off.

My Dad and I did this once and we rented a car. I believe we took the cruise transportation back to the Miami airport, picked up the rental car, drove to WDW, checked into our hotel, dropped the rental car at the Disney Car Center, and the rental car company took us to our first park of the day. It was about a 4 hour drive once we got the rental car. I know there are rental car companies closer to the cruise terminal that you can probably take an uber/taxi to. My Dad and I just felt like it would be easier for us to go to the airport to pick up the rental. I will say getting the rental car from Miami was a walk once we were dropped off.
For two or more people, a taxi will be less expensive than the DCL transport back to the airport and you can be dropped off right at the entrance to the MIA car rental center. An Uber or Lyft might be even less expensive if you don’t need an Uber XL. This avoids the walk once you are dropped off at the airport.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter