• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Transportation Help Needed

alady89

Mouseketeer
Ok, I have another post with a big debate as to whether to go to Land or World. To take child or not due to suspension.:confused3

My largest question if we choose Land is how to get around? We would buy a SoCal Pass since 8 days seems to long for Land/ DCA alone. How to get around, DH also wants to see Hollywood.

I saw there is 7 day unlimited pass from Grayline althoug what it all covers is a mystery and their clerk on phone was confusing, since we would still need transpo to and from LAX.

Car Rental is another option but traffic seems confusing and I wonder how much parking fees would be at all the parks Seaworld, SD Zoo, UH, and Hollywood. Not worried about DL/DCA since have reservation at HoJo.

Thanks for any advise as I am trying HARD to make final decision.

Also, does anyone know much to budget for food? DW has dining plan and that simplified the whole planning.

Thanks again.:scared:

Can someone help please? I have never been to LA and am not sure how Grayline works?

I would say your best bet might be to rent a car? I've never used the Greyline, so I can't help you there..

Traffic isn't really that confusing. If you just print through yahoo maps (I don't like Map Quest) where you want to go and follow that exactly, you guys should be fine. Since everywhere you want to go are main tourist attractions, there are tons of signs on the freeway.

Maybe someone else has more help for you..

About dining. Check out allears dot net and they have all the menus for everywhere to eat. That's how we (and a lot of people on the boards) budget. I just already pick what I'm going to order and figure it out that way. That way I know how much money to budget for food each day...

HTH!

I, too, vote for renting a car. If you are staying at a hotel, I am sure that the front desk or concierge will give you directions to where you want to go. Else, there are navigators on some cell phones or rental cars that you can get. I don't think that driving in LA is more confusing than other cities, it's just that traffic can get backed up more often.

Also, if you're going to Hollywood, don't forget to visit Disney's Soda Shop across from Kodak theater.:goodvibes

We bought the City Pass in March and we rented a car. My Dh didn't have too much trouble driving to San Diego and back. We did take a few detours but they turned out kinda fun.

As far as budgeting for food it depends on each family. When we went Sea World, the Zoo and Legoland they closed early so we waited until leaving the park before eating which saved some money. We usually just had a quick snack for lunch because we were so busy.

I'm having sort of the same dilemma. I'll be in Anaheim from the 9th-11th and am using the Disneyland Resort Express bus to get to my hotel, although it's 3 miles away from DL and not on their standard pickup list. Hopefully they get me there.

Disneyland needs to implement something akin to their Magical Express from DW--I never had a day's problem using it, but the Anaheim area is a quagmire of confusion as far as getting around is concerned. I would take a taxi, but taxis in Anaheim cost a ton, and it's a good 16 mile drive from the airport to DL.

I think anywhere you go for the first time is very overwhelming and confusing. Some seem to think going to DL and navigating is hard, where I think it is super simple. But I have never been to the world and started doing research for planning a trip and boy is it ever confusing. I have no idea what kind of transportation we would need there.

It is not likely that DL will adopt the Magical Express because there are only 2 Disney parks and 3 Disney hotels and they are all within walking distance of one another. There are also several off-site hotels that are within walking distance of the park.

To the OP, I would suggest just renting a car so you can come and go as you please. I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the greyline thing.

I think anywhere you go for the first time is very overwhelming and confusing. Some seem to think going to DL and navigating is hard, where I think it is super simple. But I have never been to the world and started doing research for planning a trip and boy is it ever confusing. I have no idea what kind of transportation we would need there.

It is not likely that DL will adopt the Magical Express because there are only 2 Disney parks and 3 Disney hotels and they are all within walking distance of one another. There are also several off-site hotels that are within walking distance of the park.

To the OP, I would suggest just renting a car so you can come and go as you please. I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the greyline thing.

Magical Express at DW is a lifesaver. You'll love it if you use it. As for the DL area, I suppose you're right--Disney can't be expected to shoulder transportation demands for 3rd party hotels. It would be nice if there was a centralized alternative, though. The Greyline thing puts you on a huge bus and you must wait for everyone to be dropped off, while supershuttle costs about 50 per person roundtrip. Taxis look like they'll run about 50 one-way. The transport options are pretty expensive.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter