Transportation from Universal Hotel to Disney

SplitRaindrop

Earning My Ears
I'm going to Orlando in February. I'm tagging along while my husband is at a conference so I'll have about 2 1/2 days by myself. We're staying at a Universal property both during and after the conference and I was hoping to do Disney by myself (we're doing Universal together). I'm wondering how to get from the hotel to disney preferrably without breaking the bank (i'm ok with less efficient...). We're staying at Loews Sapphire falls and I'd probably want to go to Animal Kingdom and either Hollywood Studios or Epcot [I did Magic Kingdom just a couple of years ago). The only shuttle I found would be $50/trip (so $100 a day).

Is there a bus or a cheaper shuttle? i don't really want to drive in as that sounds stressful and I know it's expensive (we drove into Magic Kingdom a couple of years ago).

f I'm reading it right, Mears website says the rt shuttle fare is $21. That's less than 2 UberX trips.

For more than 1 person, Uber or Lyft would obviously be cheaper than Mears, and they are always cheaper than a traditional taxi.

f I'm reading it right, Mears website says the rt shuttle fare is $21. That's less than 2 UberX trips.

For more than 1 person, Uber or Lyft would obviously be cheaper than Mears, and they are always cheaper than a traditional taxi.

Good catch. Are those pre-arranged trips? I'd imagine so. OP, you'd have to weight the convenience of being able to call for the car whenever you want vs. making a reservation in advance and sticking to it.

I believe that $21 r/t is from a Disney hotel to the bus/cab area at US/IoA. I could be wrong though.
I now use Uber to get between the two areas...it's about $14 each way.

Am I missing something? Mears shows me $50/one way trip (could it be based on the dates? I'm there near one of the Disney Half Marathon weekends -Princess). Am I crazy for wanting to do Disney the Thursday/Friday before the race [I'm not running but wondering if crowds are worse]?

I live in a smaller city where Uber/Lyft isn't common (I think we have both now...). Should the prices online be correct? they don't add extra for tolls or anything? (I know we paid tolls driving into Magic Kingdom). I'm thinking the convienance of that could be nice although I'm concerned that I will need to be back at my hotel by a certain time. Do Uber/Lyft let you schedule in advance?

Should the prices online be correct? they don't add extra for tolls or anything? (I know we paid tolls driving into Magic Kingdom).
Joel can tell you better because he drives in Orlando, but I've always found RideGuru to be pretty accurate. Tolls, if any, are factored in, but I don't think there are any tolls between US and WDW.
I'm thinking the convienance of that could be nice although I'm concerned that I will need to be back at my hotel by a certain time. Do Uber/Lyft let you schedule in advance?
You can schedule Uber/Lyft rides, but don't. Wait until you are ready to actually step into the car and then order. Uber/Lyft cars are all over the place in Orlando and pickups will be quick.

If you schedule a ride, either company will dispatch the ride well in advance. That sometimes results in the driver arriving quite early, and could result in a cancellation charge. Or your plans could change. Just order when ready -- much simpler.

Joel can tell you better because he drives in Orlando, but I've always found RideGuru to be pretty accurate. Tolls, if any, are factored in, but I don't think there are any tolls between US and WDW. You can schedule Uber/Lyft rides, but don't. Wait until you are ready to actually step into the car and then order. Uber/Lyft cars are all over the place in Orlando and pickups will be quick.

If you schedule a ride, either company will dispatch the ride well in advance. That sometimes results in the driver arriving quite early, and could result in a cancellation charge. Or your plans could change. Just order when ready -- much simpler.
Thanks for the response! It's good to know that uber/lyft rides are abundant. It's an option I'm strongly considering.

Am I missing something? Mears shows me $50/one way trip (could it be based on the dates? I'm there near one of the Disney Half Marathon weekends -Princess). Am I crazy for wanting to do Disney the Thursday/Friday before the race [I'm not running but wondering if crowds are worse]?

I live in a smaller city where Uber/Lyft isn't common (I think we have both now...). Should the prices online be correct? they don't add extra for tolls or anything? (I know we paid tolls driving into Magic Kingdom). I'm thinking the convienance of that could be nice although I'm concerned that I will need to be back at my hotel by a certain time. Do Uber/Lyft let you schedule in advance?
The $21 quote is for a large bus. It may make multiple stops before you get to US. You probably saw a Mears cab or car service quote.

The $21 quote is for a large bus. It may make multiple stops before you get to US. You probably saw a Mears cab or car service quote.
makes sense. On their website they only show an airport shuttle so it must be something you need to call about.

Am I missing something? Mears shows me $50/one way trip (could it be based on the dates?
What specifically are you looking at?

Here is a link to Mears' filed tariff for 2018. On page 4, it shows scheduled RT shared shuttle service from "Zone 3" to all WDW parks at $21 Gross. Further on in the book, it lists the Universal hotels as being in Zone 3. I'm not an expert in transportation procurement, but it seems to me that Gross would be retail cost; I could be wrong.

Even the taxi fare finder shows taxi fare at about $43 one way. There's no way a shared shuttle would cost more than a taxi.

I think people have said that you can't book attractions shuttles online, they have to be made by phone.

What specifically are you looking at?

Here is a link to Mears' filed tariff for 2018. On page 4, it shows scheduled RT shared shuttle service from "Zone 3" to all WDW parks at $21 Gross. Further on in the book, it lists the Universal hotels as being in Zone 3. I'm not an expert in transportation procurement, but it seems to me that Gross would be retail cost; I could be wrong.

Even the taxi fare finder shows taxi fare at about $43 one way. There's no way a shared shuttle would cost more than a taxi.

On the main page I did a search from my hotel (Loews Sapphire Falls) to Animal Kingdom on 2/22/18 http://www.mearstransportation.com/

This is where i was not able to put in a hotel (or anything other than the airport) for pickup. https://reserve.mearstransportation.com/#/shuttle

Also...that shuttle bus, that costs $21, doesn't allow luggage. You could bring a backpack, but not actual luggage. I would go with Uber.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter