• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Transitioning from Stroller as wheelchair to wheelchair

megs1313

DIS Veteran
My 10yo son has Ehlers Danlos syndrome. His tolerance for exertion is pretty low, but at home he just takes it easy and doesn't need a mobility aid. At WDW, obviously, we have to use a stroller or other aid for him to be able to keep up. He's gotten big enough, though, that our next trip will be the first where we probably will need a regular wheelchair vs. using a stroller as wheelchair.

Generally, I have avoided this transition because pushing a stroller is usually much more comfortable than a basic wheelchair. My son is 5'4" and about 100lbs. Can anyone recommend an option for him that will be the most comfortable for the person pushing? TIA!

My 10yo son has Ehlers Danlos syndrome. His tolerance for exertion is pretty low, but at home he just takes it easy and doesn't need a mobility aid. At WDW, obviously, we have to use a stroller or other aid for him to be able to keep up. He's gotten big enough, though, that our next trip will be the first where we probably will need a regular wheelchair vs. using a stroller as wheelchair.

Generally, I have avoided this transition because pushing a stroller is usually much more comfortable than a basic wheelchair. My son is 5'4" and about 100lbs. Can anyone recommend an option for him that will be the most comfortable for the person pushing? TIA!
Dumb question but have you looked into the special needs larger strollers? Could that be a possibility? Main 2 things I have heard are bike gloves for the pusher/s and a sturdy chair. I have heard to stay away from the small wheeled push chairs for comfort of rider.

Check out Orlando Medical Rentals. They have the largest selection of special needs strollers and different wheelchairs.
The one thing I'd say about bike gloves is to watch your hands with them. My youngest daughter is a full time wheelchair user, so we push one at the time at WDW. The only time I ever got blisters on my hands was when I followed the advice to wear bike gloves. They made my hands too sweaty which can lead to blisters

Check out Orlando Medical Rentals. They have the largest selection of special needs strollers and different wheelchairs.
The one thing I'd say about bike gloves is to watch your hands with them. My youngest daughter is a full time wheelchair user, so we push one at the time at WDW. The only time I ever got blisters on my hands was when I followed the advice to wear bike gloves. They made my hands too sweaty which can lead to blisters
thank you for that link! the Maclaren looks like a real possibility!

if renting, try to find a “solid seat” and use a cushion. These tend to be much more comfortable than a sling seat. Also make sure the leg rests can be adjusted. Nothing worse than not being able to reach foot rest and/or are uneven.

thank you for that link! the Maclaren looks like a real possibility!
If they are still renting the Maclaren it’s a great option. Years ago we purchased one second-hand for DD. It’s no longer made so I hope they have one for you. (No reason to think they won’t since it’s listed, but I’d get it reserved sooner rather than later.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter