Transfers From Laptop to Desk Top

disfanatiks

<font color=purple>Is pretty darn special<br><font
Thanks so much to everyone for thier responses on the SanDisk 1GB Compact Flash Card.

Now I have one other question...

I do have a laptop, which I will taking with me to WDW...but the problem always seems to be when we come home how to get the pix from the laptop to the desk top...This is what we did with our Sony Cyber Shot Digital Camera. I just loaded them to a disk and made the transfer, but this takes a long time.

Does anyone have suggestions on this?

Thanks.... :)

can you just use a USB cable to connect the two and transfer the images over? That is what my DH does.

Does your DH have a program which enables this to be done? This way does sound great, but I am unsure of how to do this.

Thanks

If they are NETWORKED you can transfer them that way as well.

Thanks Dan....I just ordered it. Still a little confused as to how it will work...but looking forward to figuring process out.

Sure wish we were going to cross paths in December, but we will be going down Dec. 15/16 for DD's performance in Candlelight and then returning December 23 - January 2 for the holidays.

Hope you have a super trip!!! :flower:

Thanks for everyone's replies..

I am so excited about this new camera...

I'm not sure the memory card reader is going to help you if I read your original post right. Sounds like you already downloaded your pix from your memory card onto your laptop.

I take my laptop to download my pix each day and burn them to a CD. Then I copy the pix from the CDs onto my desktop, storing the CDs as backups (a very good habit to get into!).

I also have a usb cable that links my laptop to my desktop - it's about $20-25 I think. I'll see if I can find one online for you. It works great. Barrie

barrie said:
I'm not sure the memory card reader is going to help you if I read your original post right. Sounds like you already downloaded your pix from your memory card onto your laptop.

I take my laptop to download my pix each day and burn them to a CD. Then I copy the pix from the CDs onto my desktop, storing the CDs as backups (a very good habit to get into!).

I also have a usb cable that links my laptop to my desktop - it's about $20-25 I think. I'll see if I can find one online for you. It works great. Barrie

My problem is that the laptop which I have does not have a CD REwrite, so I am unable to make a CD and disks take a long time. We also burn CD's as a backup and keep them in our safe.

Well...I did go to the site that Dan had and purchased the reader, but also they had SanDisk 1.0 GB for 79.95 - 20.00 rebate...so I purchased another...That way I am going to WDW with 2 GB. I love to take pix, especially at Christmas...so I am sure I can use them up in no time!!!

Thanks for your reply. :)

Sounds like the transfer cable might be your best bet - unless someone else has another better idea. Barrie

The transfer cable is a simple solution, but you might have another one that you don't know about.

Do you have high-speed internet (cable or DSL) at home?

Cable and DSL both connect to your computer through an Ethernet connection. With a little more hardware, you can use this connection to link your computers together, share files between them, and also share your cable or DSL connection.

To do this, you need three main pieces of equipment:

1) Ethernet cards in both computers
2) A cable router
3) Cables

Most laptops made within the last 5 years come with ethernet cards built into them. Look on your laptop for a port that looks like a phone jack, but is wider - that's an ethernet jack.

If you have cable or DSL internet, your desktop computer almost certainly has an ethernet jack in it too - that would be where the cable or DSL modem connects to the computer.

If your computers have ethernet, the next step is simple - go to Best Buy, Circuit City, CompUSA, or even WalMart, and buy a router. The most common type is a 4-port router; the 4 ports mean that you can connect up to 4 computers to the router at one time. Your cable modem or DSL modem will also connect to it, and once the modem and the computers are all connected to the router, then all the computers will be able to use the internet connection at the same time.

Once all the computers are connected to the router, you will also be able to transfer files between the computers. The router and computer combination is called a home network.

What I did for my last two trips was use a external portable hard drive. I connect it via USB cable. It also serves as a backup to my laptop hard drive , I put the pictures on the external hard drive and the laptop hard drive, so I know that at least one of them will have the pictures. Then when I get home I just connect the external hard drive to my desktop computer until I need it again. You can find the external hard drives all over the net for under $100.

I would go the route of burning CD's. You can get a enternal CD or even DVD burned pretty cheap. This is the time of year for a good deal.

I always burn two sets of my pictures as I am afraid I may loose them on the hard drive.

We have been to WDW 3 times this year and are planning a trip in Jan/Feb. I have been taking over 900 pictures each trip.

Have fun. Take lots of pictures.

:earsboy:

Thanks for all of the great ideas!!!

I love taking pix and can not wait to take lots at WDW this Christmas..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter