Transfer or rent?

clutter

DIS Veteran
Which is easier? If I transfer points to someone, it seems that it would be easier once it's done - it's over. But how do you deal with making sure you get payment and the other member gets their points? For a rental, I book the reservation in my name, then change to the renter's name once I get paid, right? But then I have to contact MS for any changes until the rental actually happens.

Which do you prefer?

I would prefer a transfer, but it could take a while to find someone willing to take all the points. And you can only transfer non-banked points and once per UY. I would go through ebay, collect the money, then call MS to transfer. It's a final transaction.

Renting is a bit different. As owner, you can cancel the reservation at any time. I would think most renters would want a contract. You'd make the reservation in their names rather than yours.

I've looked at the rent boards a bit. I still can't figure out why some rent fast and others sit for a while. Obviously price makes a difference, but it looks like majority of the renters are not looking for 7+ months out.

We deal with David's rental for our ununsed points mainly bc I have no desire to deal with contracts and collecting of money. I like that he's the middle man. We just rented all our points yesterday (exact amount of points which was great) and the reservation is for October so we won't have to wait forever to get the 2nd half of the money.

No for a rental you can book directly in the user's name. I just did this with someone. What I did is more of an "exchange" between friends. They booked a reservation for me, and in turn I book a reservation for them in their name.

Your name would not need to be on the reservation at all.

If you trust the person, I would just rent or swap the points. If not, then transferring points might be better in the long run. But only after you receive payment.

I'm assuming you're talking about dealing with a person, not a company like David's.

Transferring points is faster BUT you should be paid before transferring as once they are gone they are gone.

Which is easier? If I transfer points to someone, it seems that it would be easier once it's done - it's over. But how do you deal with making sure you get payment and the other member gets their points? For a rental, I book the reservation in my name, then change to the renter's name once I get paid, right? But then I have to contact MS for any changes until the rental actually happens.

Which do you prefer?

The main difference is that you and the buyer can each only do one transfer per UY per membership. I always have the buyer pay for the transfer in full before doing the transfer. You also have to call member services to do the transfer as it can't be done online. Transfers are also not reversible, once you do the transfer that is it.

Great post for understanding transfer rules and such. I found it interesting that both parties can only do one transfer per year.

I'd like to double check an earlier statement that banked points cannot be transferred. I have 7 points that were banked into my 2014 June UY allotment that I know can't be banked further into my 2015 UY (which is when I have this whole big thing going on, so will be banking all of 2014, you don't want to know the details. :rotfl: ) So I thought of offering those last 7 points to someone who could use them in the next 12 months but it sounds like that's not really possible?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter