Transatlantic cruises - what did you love and hate?

We did a B2B Med/Trans last Sept...18 days on the Magic. The Med cruise involved long excursion days (our choice), so the trans was our true vacation. The reduced cost of the WBTA helped offset the cost of air travel from Barcelona. There were only 200 kids on the ship probably because school had started in most states, so very quiet (3rd & 4th cruise on Magic).
Things we really liked: Setting the clock back almost every night; unexpected games/scavenger hunts for all ages from guest services; really, really getting to know our wait staff and MDR tablemates (mostly positive); unique lectures/presentations; choice of seating/lounging almost anywhere on any deck; and catching up on latest Disney movies.
Downside: Only 11 days on the trans. leg; wishing kids & grandkids were there; and weather was bad two days and water a bit rough but all was good inside (look outside and realize what explorers in ships a fraction our size had to cope with centuries ago. Columbus, Marco Polo, Ponce de Leon...Jack Sparrow, all had to ride these waters without shows, AC, stabilizers, fresh food, etc. Only thing in common with DCL...mouse (mice) on board and the occasional rat.
We are headed to Alaska in June on the Wonder with many of the kids and gkids. We'll see what the pioneers faced in our short history as they searched for gold, better lives, fur pelts and the elusive Mickey Bar.

I wasn't thinking about the lack of kids on the ship. That sure would be different. An extra hour sleep a night would be great!

I was talking to my kids about historic sea travel during our cruise. I couldn't imagine the danger they faced just getting into a ship with rudimentary gear, mediocre maps and star charts.o_O No way!

I wasn't thinking about the lack of kids on the ship. That sure would be different. An extra hour sleep a night would be great!

I was talking to my kids about historic sea travel during our cruise. I couldn't imagine the danger they faced just getting into a ship with rudimentary gear, mediocre maps and star charts.o_O No way!

All deficiencies were made up with a lot of rum, I wager.

I would really like the lack of kids. On our Transatlantic in August 2007, we had a ship full of bored kids and teenagers who spent their time laying all over the stairways and elevator foyers. Seriously, we had to step over them until someone finally called security and they put a stop to it. My daughter was so upset when she heard them complaining about why did their parents make them come as they were sooooooo bored. She couldn't understand why they weren't enjoying the whole experience (lack of imagination is my guess) -- she was 19 at the time.

I would really like the lack of kids. On our Transatlantic in August 2007, we had a ship full of bored kids and teenagers who spent their time laying all over the stairways and elevator foyers. Seriously, we had to step over them until someone finally called security and they put a stop to it. My daughter was so upset when she heard them complaining about why did their parents make them come as they were sooooooo bored. She couldn't understand why they weren't enjoying the whole experience (lack of imagination is my guess) -- she was 19 at the time.
Interesting my kids have never been bored on a Disney cruise. We did Hawaii with our kids. They weren't teens yet. It was a long cruise with lots of sea days. They loved it. I want to do a TA with them. I hope they don't find it boring now that they are teens.

Interesting my kids have never been bored on a Disney cruise. We did Hawaii with our kids. They weren't teens yet. It was a long cruise with lots of sea days. They loved it. I want to do a TA with them. I hope they don't find it boring now that they are teens.

My daughter's first cruise was at age of 9 and she loved every sea day. She loves to sit in the windows or the atrium and read and draw. I think sea days are such a great way to "refresh" and enjoy the ship and all it has to offer. My favorite thing to do on sea days is sleep in a little and have breakfast in the MDR and be served and just relax, or sleep later and get an early lunch.

My kids complained about port days because they wanted to get back on the ship. I was more worried about the port days than the sea ones, there always seems to be so many fun things going on.

My kids complained about port days because they wanted to get back on the ship. I was more worried about the port days than the sea ones, there always seems to be so many fun things going on.
This has always been the case with my kids. I'm finding out kids change a lot and so do their interests the closer they get to adulthood.

We did the eastbound in Spring, 2017. We took the southern route. It was amazing! The ship was very stable for the most part. No one I know of fell or got sick from any rocking. We heard the Northern route the year before was not so lucky. We went on a whale watching trip in the Azores. My daughter was sea sick on that, but the rest of us loved it. Our one regret was doing the Stonehenge excursion. We really only got an hour at Stonehenge after a ton of walking up to it. Friends hired a private driver and spent the day there. We would do that next time. In Amsterdam we planned our own day and took a bus to the Van Gogh Museum, then to the Anne Frank House, which was the best museum I have ever experienced. We took a taxi back to the boat after going to a Pancake cafe and walking around a bit. The activities on board were wonderful. My children (then 18 and 10) had a blast. We kept up with each other via the Disney app on our phones. The kids made great friends and ran around the ship with them about half of the time. Two things we loved on the ship - the family activities between dinner and the big show in the D Lounge and the adult activities after the last dinner/show in the adult lounge. David was the guy in charge of adult games and he was hilarious.

Does anyone know if the amount of days and the itinerary is switched up much for the transatlantic? We were looking at doing a spring one in 2020 but I was hoping it would be more than 13 days and maybe a different itinerary.

Does anyone know if the amount of days and the itinerary is switched up much for the transatlantic? We were looking at doing a spring one in 2020 but I was hoping it would be more than 13 days and maybe a different itinerary.

Yes, I’ll be watching this too.:scratchin

We have the 2019 WBTA scheduled and it looks like DCL has been decreasing the number of days each year. So veterans of the TA please share. We loved the 10 sea days (of 14) on the EBPC a number of years ago so hopefully the now 10 day TA is enough.

We were on the 2014 WBTA which went to the south Caribbean and was 14 days. Enjoyed it a lot! We went on the 2017 WBTA which was 11 days going to NYC. Enjoyed it too but missed the the big chunk of sea days in a row on the other.

I do think the itinerary changes a bit year by year (and sometimes they take a different route) - but I would guess the trend would be toward shortening it rather than lengthening. The WBTA for 2018 is 11 nights but the WBTA for 2019 is only 10 nights. EBTA in 2018 was 13 nights, though, and so is the 2019 EBTA.

But many cruisers are doing a b2b - that could be an option?

We are trying our first Westbound next year. We will be making the vacation a little longer by seeing at least the WWII cemeteries in France.

I love looking at these pictures of the Atlantic on our first EBTA in 2013, to Barcelona! This was in the middle of the Atlantic! I admit to being a little scared when I realized how FAR we were from anywhere! It was an excellent voyage!

F1E11293-4A32-42E0-948B-BB255694926F.jpeg 3BE55E97-FAEA-400E-B63E-6E58626D1E59.jpeg

We are trying our first Westbound next year. We will be making the vacation a little longer by seeing at least the WWII cemeteries in France.

I love looking at these pictures of the Atlantic on our first EBTA in 2013, to Barcelona! This was in the middle of the Atlantic! I admit to being a little scared when I realized how FAR we were from anywhere! It was an excellent voyage!

View attachment 346639 View attachment 346640

We had these same kinds of seas in 2007. It was like glass on some days and we couldn't even tell if the ship was moving! We never even saw another ship! And after the horror stories that year about the April crossing, we were a little nervous when we started out. I'd do it again in a heartbeat!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter