Training to Taste: A Wine & Dine 2016 Training Report

Sorry to hear you were sick on vacation :( We did an Alaskan cruise 8 years ago and loved it. I hope that you feel better soon and that your knee doesn't give you anymore problems. I'm sure you'll do awesome on your 5k!!

Sorry to hear you were sick on vacation :( We did an Alaskan cruise 8 years ago and loved it. I hope that you feel better soon and that your knee doesn't give you anymore problems. I'm sure you'll do awesome on your 5k!!

Thank you! I needed a night (and day) of sleeping at home to kick the immune system back into gear, I think! I'm missing Alaska weather big time with summer in DC! :D

Week of 7/11 - 7/17
Oh, running in the summer, you are not my most favorite thing! :P Recapping my week a day early as I'm fixing to head to NYC for a few days for a work conference.

Monday: Rest

Got home at midnight Sunday night and was up at 5:30 am to pick up the dog and get ready for work. Hadn't planned to run this day and was definitely in no shape to do it. If I hadn't had so many meetings at work, I would probably have taken a sick day but instead I powered through as best as I could.

Tuesday: Rest

So this ended up being a much needed sick day. I was still feeling super sick and miserable and was worried that the cold had turned into a sinus infection because my face was hurting so much. I ended up sleeping for a big chunk of the day. I hate to burn a sick day right after vacation, but I think I made the right decision. I felt SO much better when I woke up Wednesday morning!!

I was supposed to do a 3 mile pace run this day but that obviously didn't happen. I think my body benefited much more from the sleep instead!

Wednesday: 3.5 miles/31:31

Still a lingering cough, but finally starting to feel like a human again. This is officially Week #3 of my training plan, so some runs are starting to creep up in distance and/or time. So instead of 3 miles on the treadmill at work, I did 3.5 miles. Felt fairly decent considering it was my first run in nine days.

Thursday: 3 miles/27:06

My speed workout increased this week from 5X400 to 6X400. Did 0.5 miles to warm up and 0.5 miles to cool down with 0.1 mile jog between each interval using the same paces as the past weeks. It didn't feel too terrible to add one more interval but it was definitely a hard workout.

Friday: 3 miles/26:29

Uneventful easy run on the treadmill except that my quads were a bit sore I think just from two harder workouts in a row after the long break. Nothing terrible but definitely noticeable.

Saturday: 6 miles/57:22

OMG, so hot and humid and sunny and gross. I need to keep reminding myself that these hot runs will make me that much stronger for my races in the fall! Ran the first 4 miles at an average pace of about 9:20 which is where I'd like to be for the long runs. After 4 miles, though, I was ready to be done. Mile 5 was 9:49 pace. Mile 6, I switched to 2:1 intervals (from run 1 mile:walk 1 minute) and did that mile in 10:11. It was not a pretty run, but I got the miles in and my knee didn't bother me at all, so I'm satisfied.

Sunday: ??/Not running

Tomorrow I'll be in NYC. I theoretically have 40 minutes of cross-training I am supposed to do. I'm not planning on a formal workout but I'm sure that I will end up walking for miles and miles, so I'll count that!

My 5K is in one week! Starting to think that trying to replace a PR set on a beautiful, cool spring morning with a race on a July evening was maybe not the best idea. o_O Right now, the forecast for that day is for a high of 98 with a chance of thunderstorms. The plan is to hydrate, a lot :drinking:, and give it my best shot!

Dropped this goober back at doggie daycare. It seems like I just picked him up! :sad1: Took a lot of convincing to get him out of bed this morning. He wanted to sleep in!

IMG_4386.jpg

I'm glad you got to have a vacation and a cruise to Alaska sounds lovely, but bummer that you ended up feeling crummy for much of it. I can imagine running on the treadmill at sea is tough! We ran around the outside track on the cruise we took and that was difficult enough - not to mention incredibly boring. Good to hear that you are feeling better now though!!

Glad you're feeling better!

I can sympathize, it's SO hard to drop the pup off at doggie daycare. :sad1:

Thank you! It's amazing how much we miss those sweet faces, isn't it? It doesn't help that he runs full speed down the hallway of the apartment building after I pick him up because he's so excited to be home (even though he loves daycare).

I'm glad you got to have a vacation and a cruise to Alaska sounds lovely, but bummer that you ended up feeling crummy for much of it. I can imagine running on the treadmill at sea is tough! We ran around the outside track on the cruise we took and that was difficult enough - not to mention incredibly boring. Good to hear that you are feeling better now though!!

Thank you! There wasn't a track on my ship. I don't if that would have been better or worse. It was so windy when the ship was moving! They had a charity 5K on the promenade deck one morning at sea but I think you had to walk it.

Thank you! It's amazing how much we miss those sweet faces, isn't it? It doesn't help that he runs full speed down the hallway of the apartment building after I pick him up because he's so excited to be home (even though he loves daycare).
YES. We miss the dog so much it's changed how we vacation (as in, we take shorter vacations now). We have issues.
Thank you! There wasn't a track on my ship. I don't if that would have been better or worse. It was so windy when the ship was moving! They had a charity 5K on the promenade deck one morning at sea but I think you had to walk it.
in my opinion, running around the deck of a cruise ship is INCREDIBLY boring. I tried it on the Fantasy last year and thought I was gonna lose my mind.

Week of 7/18 - 7/24

A semi-eventful week. Spent the first half of the week in NYC for a work conference which ended up throwing off my training plans even more than anticipated. Also, it was a race week! And the temperatures were approaching the surface of the sun.

I planned to get up early this morning and run a 3 mile run before my conference. But it was my first night in the hotel (which was in Times Square - yuck!) and I slept terribly. Tourists in the hallway kept me up with shouting until midnight and then I woke up at 3 am and couldn't fall back asleep for the longest time. >:( So I opted for sleeping an extra 45 minutes instead and planned to complete the run after the conference. Then, when I walked out of the conference, there was a huge thunderstorm (definitely not in the forecast). By the time the storms finished, I had lost all motivation to run. To make myself feel better, I ordered takeout from my favorite sushi place. Peanut avocado roll, I could eat you every day. :lovestruc

IMG_4388.jpg

Tuesday: 4.X miles/35:00

Initially, I had planned to do my NYC runs in the hotel gym but the hotel was so crazy and chaotic that I didn't even want to deal with it. So I headed to Central Park to attempt a 35 minute tempo run. I've never done a tempo run outside before and I didn't have my Garmin with me (because I thought I'd be on a treadmill) so I had to rely on the not-super-accurate mapmyrun app on my phone. The plan was for 10 minutes easy run, 20 minutes tempo, and 5 minutes easy. Weaving around tons of tourists definitely kept my pace in check for the first 7 or 8 minutes or so. I think the app overstates distances so I can't really rely on the splits it provided but I definitely did the middle 20 minutes at a much harder effort than the first 10 or last 5, so I suppose I accomplished the objective of the run. The app said the total run was 4.18 miles but I think, based on the distance I traveled around the edge of the park, that it was probably closer to 4 miles.

Wednesday: 40 minutes cross-training

Before heading to the last morning of my conference and my train ride home, I woke up extra early for my very favorite NYC souvenir: bagels! Bagels are better in NYC, they just are. I make a cross-town walk to one of my favorite bagel shops to stock up on a baker's dozen to bring home a freeze. The walk was about 20 minutes each way, so conveniently achieved the 40 minutes of cross-training I had on the schedule.

IMG_4396.jpg

So happy to get home and pick this guy up! He smelled like flowers from his bath at doggie daycare!

IMG_4401.jpg

Thursday: 3.5 miles/30:46

Resumed my regular routine with a run on the treadmill at work. Nothing too exciting here.

Friday: 2 miles/19:22

I had originally planned this as a rest day since I had a race the next day but I was also wanting to make up the run that I missed on Monday. As a compromise with myself, I ran 2 miles instead of 3 and kept the pace slower than I would have otherwise.

Saturday: Twilighter 5K/24:43

Race day! I had signed up for this race with the intention of trying for a new 5K PR since mine is 3+ years old. Why I thought I could achieve that with a race in July, I don't know. The forecast for the day was for a high temperature at or near 100 degrees! The race was at 8:30 PM (hence the name Twilighter) so it wouldn't be max heat but was still forecasted to be about 90.

I picked up my packet in the morning at the local running store that was putting on the race, went to the grocery store and did a few other small errands, and then tried to get off my feet for a few hours in the afternoon. I had never run a race at night before, so I wasn't totally sure how to approach it. I made a fairly simple dinner of pasta with zucchini, sun dried tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella. I ate at a little after 5 pm hoping that would give me enough time to digest. I also drank a ton of water all day. We left my apartment at about 7 pm (my mom happened to be in town, so she came with me) for the short metro ride to the race location. The race was in Crystal City, which is an area of northern Virginia not far from DC and National Airport. There was an underground mall with a number of restaurants right by the start line which meant real bathrooms! I got there around 7:30, used the bathroom, then walked my mom to a nearby hotel to wait while I raced (it was too hot for her to stand around outside). I used the bathroom (real bathrooms!) again and headed over to the start area around 8:10/8:15.

Pre-race pic courtesy of mom (They handed out glow sticks to wear during the race. I was worried it might bug me while I ran but it didn't):

IMG_4409.jpg

After wandering around for a few minutes, getting my picture taken in front of a race backdrop (official photos aren't up yet), and drinking a few small cups of water, they called for everyone to line up. I made my way to the starting area about 50 feet or so back from the start line but as people filed in for some reasons they weren't heading all the way up to the front, so there were only about maybe 5 rows of people in front of me. I had assumed that the really speedy folks would head right up to the line. At any rate, I realized that I was surrounded by a bunch of high school cross-country runners (this is a big warmup race for cross-country, I think) who were discussing their race plan. When they said that they were planning to run the first mile "easy" at 7:00/mile pace, I knew I was in the wrong place. So I scooted my way out and moved back about 15 or 20 feet and then wedged my way back into the crowd. A few minutes later, before the race start, everybody shifted forward. So I don't know what the deal was with everybody staying back before. :confused3 I was no longer surrounded by cross-country so I figured I was probably in a better place.

Meanwhile just standing at the starting line all crowded together, I was already breaking a sweat. The temperature at start time ended up being 93 with a heat index of 99! Luckily no sun beating down, though, since it was now after sunset.

Initially (before I knew about the temperatures), I had set the following goals for the race:

"A" goal - 23:50, 30 seconds faster than my PR
"B" goal - 24:20, my PR, set at a small 5K in the spring of 2013 (also
my only ever age group win!)
"C" goal - 25:35, the pace I've been running my pace runs for the past couple months

With the temperature being so high, I didn't really know what to expect. I figured that my "A" and "B" goals were probably not attainable but thought I could still aim for the "C" goal. Ultimately, I decided to just go for it at A/B pace and if I couldn't maintain it, so be it.

The gun went off at 8:30 pm and everybody around me set off slowly. Like, very slowly. Part of the problem, I think, was that the course was narrow at the start, basically one lane of traffic. But I also think that the people around me just weren't planning to run all that fast. Which is fine, but they should have started much further back. If it had been a longer race, I probably wouldn't have worried about it too much, but with a 5K I didn't have the luxury to make up the time later. So I ended up doing a lot of weaving around and took some turns very wide just to try to break out of the crowds. It was a quarter of a mile before I could start to speed up and almost half a mile before I felt like I could settle in and just run. In the end, my Garmin said my total distance was 3.2 miles. So I added an extra 0.1 mile, which is about what I usually add in a 10 mile race. Oops.

Once up to speed, I felt pretty good. Passed the first mile marker with an 8:01 split. Mile 2, I sped it up some and was actually feeling really strong and great. Late in the second mile, there was a fire truck set up with its hose shooting water high up in the air so that it would rain down on the course. It felt amazing to run through! Just before the 2 mile mark was the one water stop on the course. I normally don't bother with water stops in a 5K but with the heat, I decided that I should. I debated about it for too long, though, and ended up with a cup of Gatorade instead of water. Took a couple little sips and dumped the rest. They were also handing out cold sponges just past the water stop, which felt amazing! After the water stop was a turnaround and then the mile 2 marker. Mile 2 done in 7:51.

Shortly after the Mile 2 marker, I started to feel fatigued. My pace slowed some, and I started counting down the number of minutes I had left to run. I wasn't feeling terrible but I knew I didn't have it in me to hold a sub-8:00 pace. By this point it had gotten fully dark but there were street lights keeping the course pretty well lit and the ground was sprinkled with discarded glow necklaces. As I neared the mile 3 mark, I realized that nobody had passed me that final mile and I was still picking off people in front of me, so I was pretty happy about that! Mile 3 split was 8:08.

The finish line came into sight and I dug deep to try and finish strong. I didn't feel like I had a ton left in me, so I was surprised to see later that I ran the last 0.1 at 6:48 pace! Pretty good, though I did get passed by two people in the last 20 feet or so.

Results:
24:43 (7:58/mile pace)
356 out of 1360 overall
94 out of 687 women
20 out of 146 age group

Overall, I'm really happy with my performance given the conditions. I felt really strong during the race. I regret letting the cross-country runners intimidate me, though. If I had stayed were I was, I probably would have had a better start and avoided all that weaving. Would that have been enough to get me a PR? I don't know. I think probably not. I might have just tired out sooner. I'm definitely looking to add another 5K to my race calendar in the fall (something I hadn't really planned to do) because I KNOW I have that PR in me!

Sunday: Rest

Well earned rest day. Not really sore from the race. Ate all the things for brunch! :teeth:

Last edited:
Week of 7/18 - 7/14

A semi-eventful week. Spent the first half of the week in NYC for a work conference which ended up throwing off my training plans even more than anticipated. Also, it was a race week! And the temperatures were approaching the surface of the sun.

I planned to get up early this morning and run a 3 mile run before my conference. But it was my first night in the hotel (which was in Times Square - yuck!) and I slept terribly. Tourists in the hallway kept me up with shouting until midnight and then I woke up at 3 am and couldn't fall back asleep for the longest time. >:( So I opted for sleeping an extra 45 minutes instead and planned to complete the run after the conference. Then, when I walked out of the conference, there was a huge thunderstorm (definitely not in the forecast). By the time the storms finished, I had lost all motivation to run. To make myself feel better, I ordered takeout from my favorite sushi place. Peanut avocado roll, I could eat you every day. :lovestruc

View attachment 184207

Tuesday: 4.X miles/35:00

Initially, I had planned to do my NYC runs in the hotel gym but the hotel was so crazy and chaotic that I didn't even want to deal with it. So I headed to Central Park to attempt a 35 minute tempo run. I've never done a tempo run outside before and I didn't have my Garmin with me (because I thought I'd be on a treadmill) so I had to rely on the not-super-accurate mapmyrun app on my phone. The plan was for 10 minutes easy run, 20 minutes tempo, and 5 minutes easy. Weaving around tons of tourists definitely kept my pace in check for the first 7 or 8 minutes or so. I think the app overstates distances so I can't really rely on the splits it provided but I definitely did the middle 20 minutes at a much harder effort than the first 10 or last 5, so I suppose I accomplished the objective of the run. The app said the total run was 4.18 miles but I think, based on the distance I traveled around the edge of the park, that it was probably closer to 4 miles.

Before heading to the last morning of my conference and my train ride home, I woke up extra early for my very favorite NYC souvenir: bagels! Bagels are better in NYC, they just are. I make a cross-town walk to one of my favorite bagel shops to stock up on a baker's dozen to bring home a freeze. The walk was about 20 minutes each way, so conveniently achieved the 40 minutes of cross-training I had on the schedule.

View attachment 184208

So happy to get home and pick this guy up! He smelled like flowers from his bath at doggie daycare!

View attachment 184211

Thursday: 3.5 miles/30:46

Resumed my regular routine with a run on the treadmill at work. Nothing too exciting here.

Friday: 2 miles/19:22

I had originally planned this as a rest day since I had a race the next day but I was also wanting to make up the run that I missed on Monday. As a compromise with myself, I ran 2 miles instead of 3 and kept the pace slower than I would have otherwise.

Saturday: Twilighter 5K/24:43

Race day! I had signed up for this race with the intention of trying for a new 5K PR since mine is 3+ years old. Why I thought I could achieve that with a race in July, I don't know. The forecast for the day was for a high temperature at or near 100 degrees! The race was at 8:30 PM (hence the name Twilighter) so it wouldn't be max heat but was still forecasted to be about 90.

I picked up my packet in the morning at the local running store that was putting on the race, went to the grocery store and did a few other small errands, and then tried to get off my feet for a few hours in the afternoon. I had never run a race at night before, so I wasn't totally sure how to approach it. I made a fairly simple dinner of pasta with zucchini, sun dried tomatoes, and fresh mozzarella. I ate at a little after 5 pm hoping that would give me enough time to digest. I also drank a ton of water all day. We left my apartment at about 7 pm (my mom happened to be in town, so she came with me) for the short metro ride to the race location. The race was in Crystal City, which is an area of northern Virginia not far from DC and National Airport. There was an underground mall with a number of restaurants right by the start line which meant real bathrooms! I got there around 7:30, used the bathroom, then walked my mom to a nearby hotel to wait while I raced (it was too hot for her to stand around outside). I used the bathroom (real bathrooms!) again and headed over to the start area around 8:10/8:15.

Pre-race pic courtesy of mom (They handed out glow sticks to wear during the race. I was worried it might bug me while I ran but it didn't):

View attachment 184212

After wandering around for a few minutes, getting my picture taken in front of a race backdrop (official photos aren't up yet), and drinking a few small cups of water, they called for everyone to line up. I made my way to the starting area about 50 feet or so back from the start line but as people filed in for some reasons they weren't heading all the way up to the front, so there were only about maybe 5 rows of people in front of me. I had assumed that the really speedy folks would head right up to the line. At any rate, I realized that I was surrounded by a bunch of high school cross-country runners (this is a big warmup race for cross-country, I think) who were discussing their race plan. When they said that they were planning to run the first mile "easy" at 7:00/mile pace, I knew I was in the wrong place. So I scooted my way out and moved back about 15 or 20 feet and then wedged my way back into the crowd. A few minutes later, before the race start, everybody shifted forward. So I don't know what the deal was with everybody staying back before. :confused3 I was no longer surrounded by cross-country so I figured I was probably in a better place.

Meanwhile just standing at the starting line all crowded together, I was already breaking a sweat. The temperature at start time ended up being 93 with a heat index of 99! Luckily no sun beating down, though, since it was now after sunset.

Initially (before I knew about the temperatures), I had set the following goals for the race:

"A" goal - 23:50, 30 seconds faster than my PR
"B" goal - 24:20, my PR, set at a small 5K in the spring of 2013 (also
my only ever age group win!)
"C" goal - 25:35, the pace I've been running my pace runs for the past couple months

With the temperature being so high, I didn't really know what to expect. I figured that my "A" and "B" goals were probably not attainable but thought I could still aim for the "C" goal. Ultimately, I decided to just go for it at A/B pace and if I couldn't maintain it, so be it.

The gun went off at 8:30 pm and everybody around me set off slowly. Like, very slowly. Part of the problem, I think, was that the course was narrow at the start, basically one lane of traffic. But I also think that the people around me just weren't planning to run all that fast. Which is fine, but they should have started much further back. If it had been a longer race, I probably wouldn't have worried about it too much, but with a 5K I didn't have the luxury to make up the time later. So I ended up doing a lot of weaving around and took some turns very wide just to try to break out of the crowds. It was a quarter of a mile before I could start to speed up and almost half a mile before I felt like I could settle in and just run. In the end, my Garmin said my total distance was 3.2 miles. So I added an extra 0.1 mile, which is about what I usually add in a 10 mile race. Oops.

Once up to speed, I felt pretty good. Passed the first mile marker with an 8:01 split. Mile 2, I sped it up some and was actually feeling really strong and great. Late in the second mile, there was a fire truck set up with its hose shooting water high up in the air so that it would rain down on the course. It felt amazing to run through! Just before the 2 mile mark was the one water stop on the course. I normally don't bother with water stops in a 5K but with the heat, I decided that I should. I debated about it for too long, though, and ended up with a cup of Gatorade instead of water. Took a couple little sips and dumped the rest. They were also handing out cold sponges just past the water stop, which felt amazing! After the water stop was a turnaround and then the mile 2 marker. Mile 2 done in 7:51.

Shortly after the Mile 2 marker, I started to feel fatigued. My pace slowed some, and I started counting down the number of minutes I had left to run. I wasn't feeling terrible but I knew I didn't have it in me to hold a sub-8:00 pace. By this point it had gotten fully dark but there were street lights keeping the course pretty well lit and the ground was sprinkled with discarded glow necklaces. As I neared the mile 3 mark, I realized that nobody had passed me that final mile and I was still picking off people in front of me, so I was pretty happy about that! Mile 3 split was 8:08.

The finish line came into sight and I dug deep to try and finish strong. I didn't feel like I had a ton left in me, so I was surprised to see later that I ran the last 0.1 at 6:48 pace! Pretty good, though I did get passed by two people in the last 20 feet or so.

Results:
24:43 (7:58/mile pace)
356 out of 1360 overall
94 out of 687 women
20 out of 146 age group

Overall, I'm really happy with my performance given the conditions. I felt really strong during the race. I regret letting the cross-country runners intimidate me, though. If I had stayed were I was, I probably would have had a better start and avoided all that weaving. Would that have been enough to get me a PR? I don't know. I think probably not. I might have just tired out sooner. I'm definitely looking to add another 5K to my race calendar in the fall (something I hadn't really planned to do) because I KNOW I have that PR in me!

Sunday: Rest

Well earned rest day. Not really sore from the race. Ate all the things for brunch! :teeth:

Congrats on the great week and the awesome race results. Given the temps and extra 0.1 mile of weaving I'd say you did really well. While not a perfect system, if the 0.1 mile was added due to weaving and you were to run the same pace for 3.1 miles instead of 3.2 miles, then you would have cut off 48 seconds from your time. That would've given you a theoretical 5K time of 23:55. So, I'd say you came pretty darn close to that "A" goal. Congrats!

Great race write-up! That's an awesome finish time (hot weather or not.) Figuring out where to be in the corrals is such a tricky thing and unless you are an elite front line person or a "walking with a stroller" back of the crowd person, it's really hard to figure it out.
Good luck on your next PR attempt :)

Congrats on the great week and the awesome race results. Given the temps and extra 0.1 mile of weaving I'd say you did really well. While not a perfect system, if the 0.1 mile was added due to weaving and you were to run the same pace for 3.1 miles instead of 3.2 miles, then you would have cut off 48 seconds from your time. That would've given you a theoretical 5K time of 23:55. So, I'd say you came pretty darn close to that "A" goal. Congrats!

Thank you!!! I was definitely happy with my time given the day! Trying to figure out when it's best to try again and then find a corresponding race. My real goal race for the fall is a half in mid-September so I don't want to get too close to that on either end. And then I have the challenge at Wine & Dine but that will be for fun, not time. So maybe mid/late October? Or late November?

Great race write-up! That's an awesome finish time (hot weather or not.) Figuring out where to be in the corrals is such a tricky thing and unless you are an elite front line person or a "walking with a stroller" back of the crowd person, it's really hard to figure it out.
Good luck on your next PR attempt :)

Thank you!! Agreed that it's definitely hard to figure out the corrals on your own. I really like it when races have pace/estimated finish time signs up along the side of the corral. I think any race I've ever done that has had those, folks are generally really good about sorting themselves. The running store that put this race on uses those for a ten-miler they host in the spring but I guess they figured they weren't necessary for a smaller race. Oh well. :)

Week of 7/25 - 7/31
Monday: 3.5 miles/30:45

Back to the treadmill. This run was actually scheduled to be 4 miles but since I'm just a tad bit behind on my mileage the last few weeks, I opted to keep it at 3.5 miles this week instead, with the plan to go to 4 next week. It's only a half a mile difference so it probably doesn't really matter physically as much as mentally.

Tuesday: 3 miles/25:00

Pace run outside before a work-from-home day. While I didn't have any obvious soreness in the first days after the 5K, I did feel like my legs were fatigued on this run, particularly in the first mile. I had a hard time getting to the target speed (8:15-8:20). I was a bit off on mile 1 but was in the right zone for the second and third miles so finished right at 8:20 pace overall.

I meant to do a bike/elliptical/treadmill combo but instead I got lazy and walked 2 easy miles on the treadmill instead. I also multitasked and wrote my 5K race recap while I walked. :D

Thursday: 3.35 miles/30:10

Speed-work day! Up to 7 intervals. Still feeling comfortably tough. I actually think I really like speed-work more than I thought I would! I don't know why I resisted it for so long.

Friday: 3 miles/26:29

Finished the work week with a same-old run on the treadmill.

Saturday: Rest

Had a pretty low-key day with minimal rushing around. Much needed after 4 out-of-town and/or very busy weekends in a row.

Sunday: 7 miles/1:03:54

Long runs on the training plan is starting to creep up in mileage now. This was actually my longest run since my half marathon in March. I've been doing 5 or 6 miles as my long run the last few months. Overall I felt the run went well. The pup was sick in the morning :sad1: so I didn't get started quite as early as I had hoped but still managed to get the run in before it got totally unbearable. My first goal for my long runs is to complete the planned mileage. My second goal is to run about 45-60 slower per mile than my target half marathon race pace of 8:15-8:20. So looking to keep the run in the 9:00-9:20/mile range if possible. The first 5 miles were in the 9:01-9:05 range. By the end of mile 5, I was starting to get tired and slowed up a bit but still averaged the last two miles at about 9:17. So both goals met! Woohoo!

Meanwhile, I spent the afternoon on my feet running errands and doing some cooking and by late afternoon my calves were screaming! Ouch, ouch, ouch! This happens fairly frequently when I try to just go about my day after a long run. Will definitely be sleeping in my compression sleeves. That usually makes a major difference by the next morning.

One night this week (Thursday) it actually wasn't beastly hot, so Mushu was happy to get some evening playtime with the neighborhood pups:
IMG_4417.jpg

Week of 8/1 - 8/7
Monday: 3 miles/26:30

Treadmill run. Not much to say here. :confused3

Tuesday: 4.53 miles/40:00

40 minute tempo run on the treadmill. Did 10 minutes of warm-up and 10 minutes of cool-down with 20 minutes at tempo paces in the middle. My longest tempo run so far. It felt decent although I was definitely watching the clock on the treadmill the whole time.

Wednesday: Rest

Usually I wouldn't put a rest day on a Wednesday since I generally work from home and like to use that to run outside, but I had a doctor's appointment. Got a tetanus shot which left my arm in major pain for 2 days and still sore 5 days later. :sad1:

Thursday: 3.5 miles/30:42

Back to the treadmill. Still sticking with 3.5 miles rather than the planned 4 miles in trying to keep my weekly mileage total increase to 10% over the previous week.

Friday: 50 minutes cross-training

In theory, I was planning to do some combination of elliptical, bike, and treadmill walking for my cross-training this week. But my arm was still killing from my shot two days earlier, to the point that my range of motion in my left arm was pretty limited. So elliptical was out and instead I was thinking of a bike and walking combo. When I got down to the gym at lunch, though, I realized that I had forgotten to pack socks in my gym bag! Seriously not meant to be! So instead, I went for a walk outside (in flip-flops, probably not the greatest).

Saturday: 3 miles/24:57

So my training plan calls for pace runs (when they are scheduled) on Saturdays and long runs on Sundays. I usually flip the runs all around in the schedule of the week, though, depending on what is happening in life. So this was the first time I actually did this back-to-back as written. This was an okay run. The first two miles were just at/slightly over my target pace for this run (8:15-8:20) but I sped up slightly on mile 3 to get the run overall right in the pace range.

Sunday: 8 miles/1:12:55

It was a few degrees cooler and *slightly* less humid than my long run last weekend. Now that the long runs are getting longer, I am getting further into the shady part of the trail I run on, so that is definitely a bonus. The middle 4 miles were MUCH more comfortable than the first or last 2. The overall run was right within my target pace range, so definitely happy with it.

It's almost impossible to take a good photo at pug meetup. It was super warm on Saturday morning, so the hot spot was definitely by the water bowls! pug:
IMG_4437.jpg

I totally know what you mean about watching the clock during tempo runs...I think that's one reason why I hate them so much.

Bummer about the tetanus shot! I hope you feel better soon!

Tetanus shots are the worst for sore arms. :( I'm having to get a series of Hepatitis B shots to get immunity back up (I work in a hospital), and have one today - but the last one didn't really make my arm too sore.

Yay! Pug party.

I totally know what you mean about watching the clock during tempo runs...I think that's one reason why I hate them so much.

Bummer about the tetanus shot! I hope you feel better soon!

Weirdly, at least when I'm on the treadmill, the one thing I like about tempo runs is it gives me something to do (change the tempo). So somehow it is not as mentally taxing as just an easy run where I'm running at the same pace forever, staring at the wall and being bored.

Tetanus shots are the worst for sore arms. :( I'm having to get a series of Hepatitis B shots to get immunity back up (I work in a hospital), and have one today - but the last one didn't really make my arm too sore.

Yay! Pug party.

I remember that tetanus shots made my arm sore in the past, but I feel like this was on another level! It's a full week later and I'd say that today is the first day the pain is almost totally gone. I'm going to pretend that it's because I am in much better shape than I was ten years ago and therefore stronger muscles = more soreness. :D As opposed to the fact that I'm just getting older! And a series of shots? ::shudder:: Glad they don't seem to be hurting too much!

Week of 8/8 - 8/14

My plan had a second rest day this week rather than a day of cross-training. Legs were feeling a bit tired after the Sunday long run so I wasn't complaining.

Tuesday: 3 miles/26:37

3 miles on the treadmill. Had a little bit of stomach pain at one point so slowed down just a hair but nothing too major.

Wednesday: 4.5 miles/39:22

My second easy run of the week has now moved up to 4.5 miles on the plan. It was supposed to be 4 miles the last two weeks but I had only done 3.5 because I was still trying to catch up on some mileage. This week, though, I had a speed workout rather than a tempo run, which is a bit longer, so I was able to move up to 4.5 miles on this run and still say basically within the 10% weekly mileage increase rule. I did this run outside in the morning before work. It was HUMID. 79 degrees with 90% humidity at 7 am. The distance felt fine but the humidity was a bit rough.

Thursday: 3.7 miles/33:12

Speed workout up to 8 repeats now. Did this workout on the treadmill with 0.5 mile warmup at 9:50, 8X0.25 mile repeats at 7:42 with 0.1 mile at 11:32 in between, 0.5 mile cool down at 9:50. Felt pretty strong throughout.

Friday: Rest

I think this is the first time I've actually taken my rest days as they are written in the plan. Usually I shuffle things around with my schedule but I'm trying to stick closer to the plan as it gets closer to race day.

Saturday: 4 miles/33:01

This week my pace run increased from 3 miles to 4 miles. Meanwhile, the weather forecast for the weekend was for "excessive" heat - high temps at or above 100 and heat index up to about 115! :crazy2: I tried to get an early-ish start (especially considering my overall Olympics-induced sleep deprivation) but it was already pretty toasty. I ran the first 2 miles *slightly* too fast but reigned it in for the second two to finish right on target overall. It felt a little hard adding the extra mile in, especially with the heat, but not too terrible.

Sunday: 9 miles/1:24:42

So my plan for my long run this week was to get up SUPER early - both to try and beat the heat as much as possible and to finish in time to watch the Olympics women's marathon. My alarm went off at 5 am, and I immediately checked the weather:

IMG_4450.jpg

Ugh! Pretty hard to beat the heat when it never cooled down in the first place! At any rate, I walked and fed the dog (who was not impressed with a pre-6 am Sunday morning wake-up time) and was out the door for the run a little after 6:15 am. My long run path is an out-and-back to a local trail. It's about a mile and a half to pick up the trail and then I run whatever distance is needed before I turn around. The first (and last) 2.5 miles or so have very little shade but once I get deeper into the trail the trees provide pretty decent shade. Getting out super early at least got me through that first 2.5 miles before the sun had come up too far, so it wasn't too terrible. My run finally got long enough this week for me to get to my favorite part of the trail:

IMG_4451 (1).jpg

It's an approximately 0.2 mile bridge over a marsh. Something about it is so pretty and peaceful to me. Once I turned back to head home, the sun was up higher and it was feeling pretty toasty. Just before the 7 mile mark (at 6.83 miles, to be precise), I switched from running 1 mile/walk 1 minute to a 4:1 run/walk interval. I ended up skipping the last walk interval at the end since I only had about 45 seconds more of running to finish the distance, so I ended up only adding in 2 or 3 extra walk intervals, but it helped mentally, I think. Overall, my pace was slightly slower than my target range but given the crazy heat, I'll take it. Also, I did run 4 of the 9 miles within my pace goal and none of the remaining miles were way, way off, so I count it as a successful. I'm ready for fall, though!

Came home from my run to this guy sleeping in the goofiest position with his head hanging over his bed at a crazy angle. That can't be comfortable!

IMG_4452.jpg

It's only 5 weeks until race day! Feels like time is going pretty fast.

5 weeks to race day!! Woohoo! That heat is just miserable isn't it, but great job on getting it done. That trail looks so pretty. Sounds like a really good training week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter