• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Traffic from Las Vegas to DL on Sunday

skbaker

Earning My Ears
I've heard that the traffic from Las Vegas to Southern California on Sunday can be terrible. From any of you who have experience, do you think it would be too bad if we left Las Vegas quite early on Sunday, maybe between 8:00 and 9:00 a.m.? Also, how long will it take to get from Las Vegas to the Disneyland area?

It takes about 5-6 hours to get to the Disney area from Las Vegas, with little to no traffic. Sunday's, as you heard, can be jam packed as early as 11am. Most of the traffic that you endure will be in the homestretch to Disney, about the last 50 - 100 miles. So, unfortunately, leaving at 8 or 9am would more than likely put you right in the thick of it.

You could try leaving late Saturday night, cancelling the last night hotel at Vegas,playing til you are ready to go and then drive during the night and check into an inexpensive motel near Disney, sleep a few hours and then hit the park.

It's a pretty straight road for half the way, so driving at night is easy...and cooler!

I live in Las Vegas, and it take us 4.5 hours to get to Anaheim. On a Sunday, you will have loads of traffic. But not as much if you leave early. Hope this helps! :flower:

We drive from Vegas to Disneyland-area once a year, and it usually takes 4.5 to 5 hours (including a stop or two for bathroom breaks). We try to avoid leaving on Sunday if possible, and generally leave Vegas on Monday morning at around 6, and we usually get to Disneyland area by 10:30.

I would try to leave by 8, but if possible, I would leave even earlier than that to try to beat the rush. Basically, the earlier the better.

We also avoid traveling on Sundays, and it usually takes us 4 hours even to get to DL from Las Vegas (hardly ever stop at all!) We went once on a Sunday, but left at night. BAD idea, the trip took us 2 extra hours. I think since you are leaving before hotel check out time, you would be okay. Just make sure you are on the road early! Have fun!

Andrea

Then I am in big trouble any sudgestions. We are leaving Salt Lake city at 6:00 am tomoorow morning and heading to Vegas. Stopping there to look around for a bit and wear out our 2.5 year old to make the rest of the trip. No clue about what time we will be leaving Vegas except for after 1:00 or 2:00. Thanks for any of your help.

Leslie
15 hours to go.

Pooh0200 - It's not that it's really terrible, just plan extra time. I find the absolute worst time to leave on a Sunday is between 4-6. People from CA try to spend up till the last possible minute before they leave to go back, so if you can be out by 1pm or so, I think you will have a decent drive. Have fun!!

Andrea

Pooh,

Not that I have a suggestion, but we left Salt Lake (Riverton) today. With three kids under the age of 7, we decided to fly. It was well worth it, and I got our tickets for around $80 per person each way ($160 roundtrip). Three screaming kids for 10 - 11 hours in a car would have killed me.

Good luck and have fun in DL!!!

I have lived in Vegas all my life, and we still go to DL yearly. Since my family still lives in Vegas, we always break it up and head down to DL from there.
It only takes us about 4 - 4.5 hours, but we do not stop either...and haven't encountered too bad of traffic, meaning always moving...lol

This next trip we were going to head down on Sunday...but since my mom is a native Vegan, lol we were going to go EARLY (She knows about the Sunday traffic and said that the earlier the better)...like 5 am. Do you think this will be ok??
Who knows, I may end up just going Saturday and doing the first night cheap at a hotel before going to the GC....this thread might make the difference. Now I can see that she was NOT exaggerating. :earseek: Thanks for the input.

What about leaving Disneyland to get to Vegas on the night before Thanksgiving (obviously a Wednesday) :)? Should we get out of town REALLY early to make it into Vegas at a decent hour, or would it not matter?

Danvers said:
What about leaving Disneyland to get to Vegas on the night before Thanksgiving (obviously a Wednesday) :)? Should we get out of town REALLY early to make it into Vegas at a decent hour, or would it not matter?

You'll be really sad driving anywhere in SoCal the day before Thanksgiving....but getting to Vegas is going to totally suck. We try to travel in the middle of the night to get to/from Vegas around the holidays (DHs family lives there).

MateasMom said:
You'll be really sad driving anywhere in SoCal the day before Thanksgiving....but getting to Vegas is going to totally suck. We try to travel in the middle of the night to get to/from Vegas around the holidays (DHs family lives there).
Okay, so tell me why it's going to totally suck :) REALLY bad traffic?

Really bad traffic and people everywhere. Just getting out of SoCal is going to take a couple of hours, let alone the usual traffic on the 15 (highway to Vegas). For instance....it takes my husband 40 minutes to commute home from work, except on the day before a major holiday when it takes 3 to 4 hours. Traffic on the 15 will be practically parked at times. This past 4th of July we made the mistake of leaving to come back to L.A. at 11:00 July 5th (not what we planned....but what happened). Even with using frontage roads to avoid pockets of insanely heavy (parked) traffic it took us 6 1/2 hours to get home (normally takes us 4 to 4 1/2 hours). Just make sure to drive during off hours or be prepared to be patient. The 15s not just a super expressway to Vegas, lots of people will be using that highway to get to their holiday 'destination'.

I'm going to second the idea of making the drive at night if at all possible. That drive can be brutal- even with the A/C on.

Simple: A lot of traffic going from CA to LV on Friday nights and a lot of traffic from LV to CA Sunday afternoon/night. Give yourself at least an extra hour of drive time, maybe more. Normal drive is between 4 - 4.5 hours (including a quick stop). Holiday traffic will add an additional hour. Leaving before 8am from LV on Sunday should be no problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter