• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Trader Sams?

hakunamomtata

Disnerd Extraordinaire
Is trader sams still hard to get into? I know our past few trips have had an hour or two wait to get in. I'm just wondering if that's still the case or if the hype has calmed down

Yes. Get there about 30 minutes before it opens to get a seat.

Bummer! :( My husband and I are going with my MIL and our 2 DS. Was hoping we could head over for a late night drink or two after they're in bed since MIL will be back with them in the room. Oh well :guilty:

Bummer! :( My husband and I are going with my MIL and our 2 DS. Was hoping we could head over for a late night drink or two after they're in bed since MIL will be back with them in the room. Oh well :guilty:

You might have success later on, especially after 8pm when its 21+ only. I would try to get there before MK closing though, because it might have a surge of people after closing.

We were there a few weeks ago and there was a line of people waiting to get in at opening. We got there about 15 minutes before opening and were able to get in and get a seat, but those who lined up after us got cut off and were given pagers. For anyone who does not arrive at opening and is given a pager throughout the night, the pager will go off when you're good to enter the bar but it does not guarantee a seat will be available.

Is the Tiki Terrace any easier to get to? Mostly we just wanted to go to get the mugs as I'm sure literally everyone does. LOL

Is the Tiki Terrace any easier to get to? Mostly we just wanted to go to get the mugs as I'm sure literally everyone does. LOL
When I went a couple months ago, the wait for the lounge was 45 minutes, but there was ample seating on the terrace. That might not be the case in the warmer months, but it’s generally been my experience that the wait for Tiki Terrace is much shorter.

This by no means means you won’t get a seat! We went there at 6:00 pm and got a table no problem. Definitely go and either grab seats that are open, put your name in for a table, or sit on the terrace. You should be fine :)

Good to know as its on our to do list for our next trip. We tried to go last time, but had to leave before it opened.

Thanks everyone!! We're definitely going to make a go for it. If the wait is too long for Sam's, we'll happily sit on the terrace. It's our first chance to just go get drinks and enjoy each other's company without our kiddos somewhere other than our house in wayyyy too long...so I'm excited. Haha...yay!

Have been looking all over for the answer to this question!! We will be at the Grand and just want to head over for drinks after park days LOL!

Not sure how busy it is later in the evening, but when it opens at 4 pm, your name needed to be on the list by 3:30 at the latest to have a chance of getting in when it opens. When we were there in April, we were one of the last in. Everyone goes in and just finds a seat somewhere. Nobody left for at least 90 minutes. Once its full, nobody is let in until somebody leaves. They will take your name an cell phone number an text you when they have room for you. If you can get in, it is really fun. The bartenders are awesome! You can spend hours just looking at the decor.

In May we waited an hour to get in at 5:00. So all the people that got there at 4 went in so we had to wait for them to leave. Bad timing on our part. But they text you when you can go in so we went back to our room until the text came. Then you have to find a seat wherever - and there was only one seat which was at a table with other people eating. So we waited about another 30 minutes inside until a table opened up since we wanted to get apps with our drinks. My 7 year old hated it. He said it was a waste of time! haha but it was something on our list to do. It was neat to see all the decor but I don't need to go back. We each got the zombie drink which is cool to see the theatrics but tasted gross. All the drinks seemed to have cinnamon in them. Got the volcano one next and that one tasted good. There was no wait for the outside area.

In May we waited an hour to get in at 5:00. So all the people that got there at 4 went in so we had to wait for them to leave. Bad timing on our part. But they text you when you can go in so we went back to our room until the text came. Then you have to find a seat wherever - and there was only one seat which was at a table with other people eating. So we waited about another 30 minutes inside until a table opened up since we wanted to get apps with our drinks. My 7 year old hated it. He said it was a waste of time! haha but it was something on our list to do. It was neat to see all the decor but I don't need to go back. We each got the zombie drink which is cool to see the theatrics but tasted gross. All the drinks seemed to have cinnamon in them. Got the volcano one next and that one tasted good. There was no wait for the outside area.

It does say so right on the menu when a drink has cinnamon in it.

Shrunken Zombie Head
Gosling’s 151 Black Seal Rum, Appleton Estate Reserve Rum, Bacardi 8 yr Rum, Tropical Juices, Falernum, and Cinnamon. Served in a souvenir Shrunken Head

You can get on list to get a text when you can enter if it's full. Realize that entrance does not mean you will get a seat, just that you can enter when the capacity drops to allow your group in. DS and I went in March. Got text within 10 minutes of signing in at desk. Entered but there was only one stool at the bar. So we shared the stool and ordered a drink. Then someone left a table so we grabbed it. It was a table for 4. Got our drinks and were enjoying the atmosphere when we saw a mother daughter enter and not have seats. We offered to share our table and enjoyed visiting with them.

The terrace is usually available and you can get the same drinks an apps there, so choose location that fits your preference.

i really enjoyed the terrace a lot we went there before our O’Hana dinner. Very relaxing live music great view.

Small tip if you are buying the glassware you need to take your receipt to the entrance to Trader Sam’s you will be given the glassware that you purchased in a box.

We got the zombie and the hippomaitai glass both are so cool we are headed back in August so may try the nautilus this time.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

It does say so right on the menu when a drink has cinnamon in it.

Shrunken Zombie Head
Gosling’s 151 Black Seal Rum, Appleton Estate Reserve Rum, Bacardi 8 yr Rum, Tropical Juices, Falernum, and Cinnamon. Served in a souvenir Shrunken Head

I know - I read the menu when I ordered. I just thought it was a strange ingredient so I commented that drinks have cinnamon in them. That really bothered you - you had to go look up a menu to quote the ingredients for me?

Daughter and I plan on the terrace to watch the water parade and the fireworks from MK. No crowds. All the music. Food and beverage.

Have you watched from this spot before?

I didn’t realize that the Castle was visible from the terrace and that show music was played.

You mentioned no crowds. What time did you arrive?

Thanks!

If you can't get inside or onto the terrace, you can grab drinks to go from the outside terrace bar and then find somewhere else to sit around Poly. They used to have some benches and/or swinging benches along the beach. There's also outdoor seating for the Pineapple Lanai and Captain Cooks. Or you could try the seating regular or adult pool bars. I don't know if you can buy the mugs from the terrace or walking up to the terrace bar though, if you were wanting a mug.

I know - I read the menu when I ordered. I just thought it was a strange ingredient so I commented that drinks have cinnamon in them. That really bothered you - you had to go look up a menu to quote the ingredients for me?

Cinnamon is a fairly common ingredient in tiki drinks, just like Falernum. These are just not common in other cocktails, so most people aren't used to seeing it.

Have you watched from this spot before?

I didn’t realize that the Castle was visible from the terrace and that show music was played.

You mentioned no crowds. What time did you arrive?

Thanks!
Yes, we watched from there last August. Let's see, we got there maybe an hour or so before the fireworks. It was after 8pm because the deck was the only option with daughter being under 21. Table availability outside was great, we had our pick of tables with only 2-3 others already occupied.

They pipe in the music that accompanies the fireworks. You can see them in the distance, but the projections are obscured for the most part.

It was 12 yr old daughter's favorite part of the trip last year and is making sure we plan for it next trip. :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter