Toy Story Parking

mistyinca

Mouseketeer
I have always parked at Mickey and Friends; never at Toy Story. But tomorrow, we're going to try out Toy Story. I have some questions.

1. What time does the Toy Story parking lot open?
  2. Coming from the Inland Empire. Planning on going 91 to 57 to katella. Is this a good route. Or are there any jams I should anticipate?
  3. Enter from Katella or enter from Harbor?
  4. What time do the busses start running?
Thanks!

I have all the same questions (except #2), so could you report back about your experience please? It would be so much appreciated!

1) Parking lot opens 60 minutes prior to opening of first park.
2) Don't know. I come north on the 5 and exit from the carpool lane.
3) Enter from Harbor.
4) Shuttles start running right away. You get to go through security before you get on the bus, which means you don't have to wait in line again when you arrive.

1) Parking lot opens 60 minutes prior to opening of first park.
2) Don't know. I come north on the 5 and exit from the carpool lane.
3) Enter from Harbor.
4) Shuttles start running right away. You get to go through security before you get on the bus, which means you don't have to wait in line again when you arrive.

Thank you! In your opinion, is this a better/faster option (most recently) than Mickey and Friends?

I did not know this (it's been 3 years since we went to DL). We are staying in one of the hotels by the convention center. Would it be faster for us to walk to Toy Story lot and go through security there/ride the shuttle than to walk up Harbor Blvd and go through regular security?

We come in from Cajon pass and we take the 60 to 57. Both have HOV lanes. The 91 does not have an HOV they have express toll ways instead.

Thank you! In your opinion, is this a better/faster option (most recently) than Mickey and Friends?

It's probably hard to tell what will be faster these days. Last time we took the Toy Story Shuttle we had a 40 minute wait just to board, but that was around dinner time on a Saturday. I bet it's faster first thing. Once you're on the shuttle the ride over is quick.

With the trams not running the walk from Mickey and Friends seems very long, especially if you start out on one of the higher floors of the garage.

It's only open in the mornings, but I like to enter through Katella. It puts you closer to the shuttle stop, plus the restrooms are right there if you need them.

Yes. On Harbor and parking opens hour prior. It’s a signaled intersection with the parking lot on the east side. That 57 to Katella is route I take. It’s an easy left turn into the parking. Until trams return it is easier and faster in morning and during the day. If you tend to close the park, then it can be more time consuming getting the bus return. Security has been prior to bus boarding but they do have the option to change that to after drop off. Can also use Ball and go south on Harbor, drop someone off at the east entrance gate security, as place holder in the plaza. They open each park approximately 30 minutes early.

Last edited:

I'm sorry, I don't know. I've never parked at M&F. We live in North County (San Diego) and so we approach the park from the south on I-5. I think Toy Story is really the best choice when you come from that direction.

I did not know this (it's been 3 years since we went to DL). We are staying in one of the hotels by the convention center. Would it be faster for us to walk to Toy Story lot and go through security there/ride the shuttle than to walk up Harbor Blvd and go through regular security?

It depends on so many factors: walking speed, number of people, actual location of the hotel, and time of day.

It's just my wife and I, and we're fast walkers who like to get a purposeful walk in at least once a day... so we sometimes park in Toy Story and then walk anyway.

But... if you're not fast walkers, or have kids, or are staying near the entrance to the parking lot -- it's likely that you might save time by riding the bus, ESPECIALLY if you can get there early on. Once the bus lines start to build, it's probably quicker to walk... the problem is knowing when the bus lines start to build.

• On Oct 21, we arrived at Toy Story (payment booth) at 7:20, and were on the bus 9 minutes later -- virtually no lines no waiting. We got off the bus at 7:43, and were through the turnstile at 7:46. (TOTAL - 26 minutes)

• On Nov 4, we stayed at the Hilton and walked -- left the hotel at 7:25, walked through security (Harbor) at 7:40, and through the turnstile at 7:43. (TOTAL - 18 minutes)

• On Nov 18, we arrived at Toy Story (payment booth) at 8:40, got through security at 8:47, and then on the bus at 9:05. We arrived at the park at 9:17, and through the turnstile at 9:24 (probably after stopping at the restrooms). (TOTAL - 44 minutes)

• On Dec 2, we arrived at Toy Story (payment booth) at 7:20, and were on the bus 10 minutes later -- virtually no lines no waiting. We got off the bus at 7:40, and through the turnstile at 7:58 (I think they opened the turnstiles later that day... the lines were very long). (TOTAL - 38 minutes)

So... as you can see, if you start early (7:00-7:30?) it's may be as quick to get on the bus. If you start after 8:30, it's probably quicker to walk. If you're fast walkers or are closer to the park than Toy Story is, then it's probably quicker to walk. I don't know what time things start to get worse at the Toy Story bus line.

We have been parking in Toy Story since that lot re-opened. We normally like M&F, but the walk was too much. We have a wheelchair and it is just a lot of extra pushing for me. We tend to arrive at the lot around 7:30ish and are fully in the park around 8. We come from the south on the 5 and exit Katella and enter from Harbor. We usually end up parked in the first row since we have a handicap placard and are just steps away from everything. I am sure we will go back to M&F when the trams return.

Yes. On Harbor and parking opens hour prior. It’s a signaled intersection with the parking lot on the east side. That 57 to Katella is route I take. It’s an easy left turn into the parking. Until trams return it is easier and faster in morning and during the day. If you tend to close the park, then it can be more time consuming getting the bus return. Security has been prior to bus boarding but they do have the option to change that to after drop off. Can also use Ball and go south on Harbor, drop someone off at the east entrance gate security, as place holder in the plaza. They open each park approximately 30 minutes early.
Thanks! We're trying to decide between Harbor drop off with parkign at mickey n friends or try out toy story. I had surgery recently, and it is hard to walk the tram route, but we want to rope drop.

It depends on so many factors: walking speed, number of people, actual location of the hotel, and time of day.

It's just my wife and I, and we're fast walkers who like to get a purposeful walk in at least once a day... so we sometimes park in Toy Story and then walk anyway.

But... if you're not fast walkers, or have kids, or are staying near the entrance to the parking lot -- it's likely that you might save time by riding the bus, ESPECIALLY if you can get there early on. Once the bus lines start to build, it's probably quicker to walk... the problem is knowing when the bus lines start to build.

• On Oct 21, we arrived at Toy Story (payment booth) at 7:20, and were on the bus 9 minutes later -- virtually no lines no waiting. We got off the bus at 7:43, and were through the turnstile at 7:46. (TOTAL - 26 minutes)

• On Nov 4, we stayed at the Hilton and walked -- left the hotel at 7:25, walked through security (Harbor) at 7:40, and through the turnstile at 7:43. (TOTAL - 18 minutes)

• On Nov 18, we arrived at Toy Story (payment booth) at 8:40, got through security at 8:47, and then on the bus at 9:05. We arrived at the park at 9:17, and through the turnstile at 9:24 (probably after stopping at the restrooms). (TOTAL - 44 minutes)

• On Dec 2, we arrived at Toy Story (payment booth) at 7:20, and were on the bus 10 minutes later -- virtually no lines no waiting. We got off the bus at 7:40, and through the turnstile at 7:58 (I think they opened the turnstiles later that day... the lines were very long). (TOTAL - 38 minutes)

So... as you can see, if you start early (7:00-7:30?) it's may be as quick to get on the bus. If you start after 8:30, it's probably quicker to walk. If you're fast walkers or are closer to the park than Toy Story is, then it's probably quicker to walk. I don't know what time things start to get worse at the Toy Story bus line.
Thank you! this is the detailed info I LOVE!! We're planning on arrivng to Toy Story (If we choose toy story) by 7:15 tomorrow.

Thanks! We're trying to decide between Harbor drop off with parkign at mickey n friends or try out toy story. I had surgery recently, and it is hard to walk the tram route, but we want to rope drop.

Here's the thing about the Toy Story lot and Rope Drop. They start letting people through security on the Harbor blvd side at the same time they start letting you through security in the Toy Story parking lot. It will take 2-3 minutes through security and loading the bus. About 5 minutes to the resort. You will be behind about 10 minutes worth of people in line for the turnstiles at the park if you are THE FIRST people in line at the Toy Story lot. It's way simpler and faster than mickey and friends due to size and the nature of the system, but not the best option imo.

If you really care about rope dropping efficiently, I recommend parking at the Anaheim hotel (cheaper than official Disneyland parking!) and walking over to the harbor blvd side bag check. Arrive at the Anaheim Hotel around 6:45, and you're golden. Take a relaxed 5-minute walk and you're at the bag check. You'll be only a few rows of people back at rope drop, and have a very stress free entry experience because you'll be relatively near the front of all the bag check and turnstile lines and can just enjoy the excitement of "we are about to go into DISNEYLAND!!" instead of having that panicked "the line to our right is moving 50% faster than ours is..." feeling. The walk should be short enough for you even with the surgery. It's WAYYY shorter than the Mickey and Friends situation right now. I've done all three options recently, Harbor is currently the best way by a long shot if your priority is rope drop.

If you want the stat breakdown on our last attempt on the Harbor side, here ya go:

Park open: 8 AM.
Arrive at Anaheim Hotel: 6:15. In line for bag check: 6:22. We were the first people on the property.
6:50: A pretty decent line has formed behind the bag check station now. Probably 300 people waiting to be let in at this point.
7:00: Rise of the Resistance Boarding pass scramble
7:05: They let us through to get our bags checked.
7:07: We are the first ones in line at the Disneyland park turnstiles
7:33: Letting us through turnstiles and into the park
7:35: First at the rope between astro orbitor and plaza inn to head into tomorrowland.
8:03 (Strangely late rope drop that day!): rope drops, let the stampede begin.

Hope this is helpful! Have a great trip!

It's only open in the mornings, but I like to enter through Katella. It puts you closer to the shuttle stop, plus the restrooms are right there if you need them.
OK, since we are coming across Katella, I'll enter there if it's open. If not, I'll continue to Harbor. Do they let you park whereever or is it like Mickey and Friends where someone guides you to a specific space?
Thanks!

OK, since we are coming across Katella, I'll enter there if it's open. If not, I'll continue to Harbor. Do they let you park whereever or is it like Mickey and Friends where someone guides you to a specific space?
Thanks!
Based on recent experiences, they guide you to a specific row, but there is no one guiding you to a specific space.

Here's the thing about the Toy Story lot and Rope Drop. They start letting people through security on the Harbor blvd side at the same time they start letting you through security in the Toy Story parking lot. It will take 2-3 minutes through security and loading the bus. About 5 minutes to the resort. You will be behind about 10 minutes worth of people in line for the turnstiles at the park if you are THE FIRST people in line at the Toy Story lot. It's way simpler and faster than mickey and friends due to size and the nature of the system, but not the best option imo.

If you really care about rope dropping efficiently, I recommend parking at the Anaheim hotel (cheaper than official Disneyland parking!) and walking over to the harbor blvd side bag check. Arrive at the Anaheim Hotel around 6:45, and you're golden. Take a relaxed 5-minute walk and you're at the bag check. You'll be only a few rows of people back at rope drop, and have a very stress free entry experience because you'll be relatively near the front of all the bag check and turnstile lines and can just enjoy the excitement of "we are about to go into DISNEYLAND!!" instead of having that panicked "the line to our right is moving 50% faster than ours is..." feeling. The walk should be short enough for you even with the surgery. It's WAYYY shorter than the Mickey and Friends situation right now. I've done all three options recently, Harbor is currently the best way by a long shot if your priority is rope drop.

If you want the stat breakdown on our last attempt on the Harbor side, here ya go:

Park open: 8 AM.
Arrive at Anaheim Hotel: 6:15. In line for bag check: 6:22. We were the first people on the property.
6:50: A pretty decent line has formed behind the bag check station now. Probably 300 people waiting to be let in at this point.
7:00: Rise of the Resistance Boarding pass scramble
7:05: They let us through to get our bags checked.
7:07: We are the first ones in line at the Disneyland park turnstiles
7:33: Letting us through turnstiles and into the park
7:35: First at the rope between astro orbitor and plaza inn to head into tomorrowland.
8:03 (Strangely late rope drop that day!): rope drops, let the stampede begin.

Hope this is helpful! Have a great trip!

Thanks. I really appreciate the details from you and @twitch. W're going to be rope-dropping on New Year's Day (8AM park open) and so those extra minutes likely will matter. Knowing that security lines start moving at the same time at the parking lot and at Harbor Blvd. means that just walking to the park and doing security there makes the most sense. (Luckily, the walk is not a problem for us.)

Can you enter/leave the parking lot from Katella?

Unbenannt.jpg

And walk to the bus stop via the Restroom area?

Can you enter/leave the parking lot from Katella?

View attachment 681881

And walk to the bus stop via the Restroom area?

I have gotten in and out via Katella. But it only seems to be open early in the AM. When I have gone past later in the day, it always looks closed. I have stopped in that bathroom between the 2 parking areas several times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter