Toy Story Land traffic

King Dominic

Mouseketeer
Wanted to try to gauge how the foot traffic/wait times have been at TSL. I already have our FP plans set but, right now, we have 2 days scheduled for HS and I know we really don't need the second day. We did 2 days because we figure we will wait for Toy Story Mania but wanted a FP for the other 2, so, one each day. Do we need it? How busy has it been? To play devil's advocate, I also don't want multiple 2+hour waits for rides, either, so that is the bonus of having the second day. We don't have hoppers because we never end up hopping, so that isn't an option. Any opinions or advice from people who have been recently is greatly appreciated!

Sorry if there's a thread touching on this but I've looked and really haven't found what answers to what I'm asking.

Wanted to try to gauge how the foot traffic/wait times have been at TSL. I already have our FP plans set but, right now, we have 2 days scheduled for HS and I know we really don't need the second day. We did 2 days because we figure we will wait for Toy Story Mania but wanted a FP for the other 2, so, one each day. Do we need it? How busy has it been? To play devil's advocate, I also don't want multiple 2+hour waits for rides, either, so that is the bonus of having the second day. We don't have hoppers because we never end up hopping, so that isn't an option. Any opinions or advice from people who have been recently is greatly appreciated!

Sorry if there's a thread touching on this but I've looked and really haven't found what answers to what I'm asking.
when are you coming?

If you have a FP for Slinky, and with a proper rope drop approach, you should be able to do the other two with little wait. If you have hoppers, I would consider keeping it 2 separate days though,

Week after Thanksgiving. Well, plans changed and we get there ON Thanksgiving. We have a FP for ***(don't know about that abbreviation for Alien Swirling Saucers, lol)on Saturday and we have a FP for SDD later in the week, Thursday.
that abb. is not allowed on the Dis we call it AS2 :)
Thursday after Thanksgiving will obviously be less busy, I like going later in the evening/ before closing, lot less traffic then. Your busiest time is midday
I have done all 3 rides in a matter of an hour and a half before the park closes, actually it rained last week and TSMM, AS2 had a 10 min wait, SDD was at 30

that abb. is not allowed on the Dis we call it AS2 :)
Thursday after Thanksgiving will obviously be less busy, I like going later in the evening/ before closing, lot less traffic then. Your busiest time is midday
I have done all 3 rides in a matter of an hour and a half before the park closes, actually it rained last week and TSMM, AS2 had a 10 min wait, SDD was at 30

Thanks for the info. I'm going to talk it over with DW and DD8 and see what we're going to do.

PS-I edited my original post to take care of the abbreviation. :)

We were there in October. We do have hoppers so we were there a portion of 3 different days and we saw Toy Story Land on each of those days. We had a hard to get dining ADR for lunch one day which was not our DHS day- so we decided to change our plans and spend part of the morning there until that ADR and then hop to a different park. That was a later plan change- originally our plan was to hop over only for lunch- so I switched our FPs and we did a TSM FP that day.
We then had our planned full day there. TSM is a favorite so we had originally booked TSM FP that day as SDD was not available--- I tried to get SDD for that day both before that day and repeatedly on that day so we did not have to come back (we burned our 3 early to get ability to try for another Tier 1) - but could not switch our TSM or get SDD as a 4th at all-- I was able to pick up Alien Saucers as a 4th later that day.

We then had a SDD FP for the morning of our departure day (the only day we could get it) so we went and rode it and then immediately hopped to a different park- no one wanted to be in that area or that park any longer than we had to that day.

One of those days was a very low crowd day and on all 3 of those days Toy Story Land was ridiculously crowded with wall to wall people to the point where you could barely move. The lines for the rides stayed consistently long- but surged in the mornings between about 9:20 and 10:30 as everyone went straight to the area as they got to the park. You wanted to be either ahead of the crowd or after the morning surge was over. SDD surged to 180 minutes. The lowest we saw SDD on any of the days was 60 minutes-- and aside from the morning surge it usually was between 90 and 120 minutes. The lowest we saw Alien Saucers was 45 minutes and it usually was 60 to 90. There are lots of posts that right at the end of the day you can get shorter lines- but we did not test that theory.

Right now, without hoppers, there is no way we would do 2 full days at DHS. I also would not do a 2nd day for the purpose of Alien Saucers- it isn't worth it. We were there just a short time the first morning before our ADR and on our full day the whole family voted to leave and not stay for Fantasmic even though we had done the dining package for lunch and had the passes. DH and DD were very clear that with the couple of extra hours the morning before our ADR and the state of the park they had no need for the rest of the day. I think they would have been done by 2:00 or 3:00, but for the fact that I had been able to pull a 4th FP for Alien Saucers and we had not yet ridden it, so we stayed to ride it and left around 4:00. We have seen Fantasmic before at both DLR and WDW- so no one felt the need to stick around. We typically like DHS- but right now with the Great Movie ride gone and SDD and Alien Saucers together not having the per hour capacity that ride had-- everything feels very crowded. It was hot the day we were there though- so you probably won't have that in November--- although we have done the week after Thanksgiving more than once and have had both hot weather (mid 80s) and cold weather (50 for a high) that week so you never know.

We all loved SDD, but were underwhelmed by Saucers. It is cute to look at-- but if you have ever been to Disneyland and ridden the now gone Frances' Ladybug Boogie in Bugsland- it is basically that ride on a larger scale with larger ride vehicles. We all agreed that as far as standing in line for it-- it would not be worth more than a 10 or 15 minute wait.

If it were me-- I would go with your SDD day and then I would either get there early to rope drop Alien Saucers, or try to pull a FP for it that day.

Last edited:
We were there in October. We do have hoppers so we were there a portion of 3 different days and we saw Toy Story Land on each of those days. We had a hard to get dining ADR for lunch one day which was not our DHS day- so we decided to change our plans and spend part of the morning there until that ADR and then hop to a different park. That was a later plan change- originally our plan was to hop over only for lunch- so I switched our FPs and we did a TSM FP that day.
We then had our planned full day there. TSM is a favorite so we had originally booked TSM FP that day as SDD was not available--- I tried to get SDD for that day both before that day and repeatedly on that day so we did not have to come back (we burned our 3 early to get ability to try for another Tier 1) - but could not switch our TSM or get SDD as a 4th at all-- I was able to pick up Alien Saucers as a 4th later that day.

We then had a SDD FP for the morning of our departure day (the only day we could get it) so we went and rode it and then immediately hopped to a different park- no one wanted to be in that area or that park any longer than we had to that day.

One of those days was a very low crowd day and on all 3 of those days Toy Story Land was ridiculously crowded with wall to wall people to the point where you could barely more. The lines for the rides stayed consistently long- but surged in the mornings between about 9:20 and 10:30 as everyone went straight to the area as they got to the park. You wanted to be either ahead of the crowd or after the morning surge was over. SDD surged to 180 minutes. The lowest we saw SDD on any of the days was 60 minutes-- and aside from the morning surge it usually was between 90 and 120 minutes. The lowest we saw Alien Saucers was 45 minutes and it usually was 60 to 90. There are lots of posts that right at the end of the day you can get shorter lines- but we did not test that theory.

Right now, without hoppers, there is no way we would do 2 full days at DHS. I also would not do a 2nd day for the purpose of Alien Saucers- it isn't worth it. We were there just a short time the first morning before our ADR and on our full day the whole family voted to leave and not stay for Fantasmic even though we had done the dining package for lunch and had the passes. DH and DD were very clear that with the couple of extra hours the morning before our ADR and the state of the park they had no need for the rest of the day. I think they would have been done by 2:00 or 3:00, but for the fact that I had been able to pull a 4th FP for Alien Saucers and we had not yet ridden it, so we stayed to ride it and left around 4:00. We have seen Fantasmic before at both DLR and WDW- so no one felt the need to stick around. We typically like DHS- but right now with the Great Movie ride gone and SDD and Alien Saucers together not having the per hour capacity that ride had-- everything feels very crowded. It was hot the day we were there though- so you probably won't have that in November--- although we have done the week after Thanksgiving more than once and have had both hot weather (mid 80s) and cold weather (50 for a high) that week so you never know.

We all loved SDD, but were underwhelmed by Saucers. It is cute to look at-- but if you have ever been to Disneyland and ridden the now gone Frances' Ladybug Boogie in Bugsland- it is basically that ride on a larger scale with larger ride vehicles. We all agreed that as far as standing in line for it-- it would not be worth more than a 10 or 15 minute wait.

If it were me-- I would go with your SDD day and then I would either get there early to rope drop Alien Saucers, or try to pull a FP for it that day.

Awesome summary/advice! Both HS days are planned for like half days because my DW asked that I didn't plan as many open to close days this time. So I think we'll be ok if we keep it the way it is but I agree with you and kind of feel like it's a waste of a day. Both HS days still have AS2 FP times available so I'm thinking we just keep Thursday as our HS day since we already have SDD FP, and either try to rope drop AS2 or get an additional FP and switch up that Saturday to a different park.

Thanks again for the great feedback!!!!!

I'd keep trying to get a FP for TSM instead of AS2, a longer wait line. I think you'd have little trouble doing AS2 stand by. TSM is still a big wait.

I'd keep trying to get a FP for TSM instead of AS2, a longer wait line. I think you'd have little trouble doing AS2 stand by. TSM is still a big wait.

I know it's still 2 weeks away but I'm going off of FP availability and TSM still has multiple times throughout the day, on both days. AS2 only has 1 other time. Plus, didn't the third track help out with lines?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter