Towing and EZPass?

labdogs42

DIS Veteran
Does anyone know what you need to do if you are towing a trailer and have EZ Pass for your vehicle? Can you still go through the EZPass or will it get messed up because it won't charge you the right amount? I haven't had to go through a toll with the camper yet, but I'm sure it will happen soon enough! Thanks!

we always go throught the EZpass lane with our RV, trailers, boat trailers, whatever... we never stop

you are "allowed" to miss/not pay for 3 tolls a month and then they will send you a letter :thumbsup2

I lived in Orlando for 4 years and sometimes they decided not to work or your battery might die so they have a "miss 3" policy type thing haha

We do it all the time towing our car behind Mh. No problems. But if your towed vehicle has EZ-pass remove the transponder from that unit or you will be charged twice. Leave it at home or put it in the original bag so it wont be read at the toll gate. Also some states have 5000 lbs or less only lanes you cant use them in those lanes.

The ones here in the north east have separate lanes for 5000 lbs or less and also normal EZ pass lanes this is mainly in MD and VA. Here in Delaware all lanes work even the high speed lanes. Watch out in PA and NJ as they also have cash only lanes by the time you see the cash only sign it to late to switch lanes.

Ours is from NY and when we got the camper I just called an got a 2nd account/transponder to use while towing that includes the extra axle - we just have to make sure that the regular one is in that little protective sleeve or out of the car altogether so we don't get charged for a single car as well. The cool thing is that orr regular one is white and the one to use when towing is blue, so they're very easy to keep seperate. The rep I worked with clearly understood what I was trying to accomplish.

Also, please remember that the E-ZPass System in use in the Northeast is NOT the same as the Florida Sunpass Syarem.

E-Zpass is good wherever the E-ZPass logo is displayed in states including New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, and West Virginia. In New Jersey, this includes the toll roads of the NJ Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, the Atlantic City Expressway, and all Port Authority of New York and New Jersey and Delaware crossings. On MTA Bridges and Tunnels, the entire New York State Thruway, the NYS Bridge Authority bridges crossing the Hudson River, Interstate 95 and State Road 1 in Delaware.

Sunpass is only good in Florida and if you drive through a Sunpass lane with your E-ZPass you will be mailed a violation.

We got our Sunpass two years ago because we spend so much time in Florida. We've used it with a van and our motorhome towing our golf cart trailer, no problems, so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter