• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tower of Terror at DCA getting overhaul

I think an overlay makes more sense than a total overhaul of the ride's theming, tbh.

I really enjoyed GOTG, but I don't see how it can be a permanent fit for ToT. The TZ theme is already so well-fitting, it'd be a shame to change it permanently.

This is ridiculous. ToT is iconic! It adds SO much charm to the whole Old Hollywood theme. I liked the movie, but it would really take away from the 1920's, Walt-era experience if you were walking down Buena Vista Street and saw a modern pop culture ride towering over you. Talk about shoehorning something in... If this turns out to be true I swear I will chain myself to the ride like an environmental activist to a tree, lol.

I reject this rumor :p

First of all, I really don't see how they could accomplish this either as an overlay OR as a complete retheming, short of knocking the hotel down and starting from scratch. The building is incredibly iconic, and I don't believe that DLR demographic (largely locals) would EVER be able to see it as anything other than the tower with a cheap coat of paint over it if they went this route. And they are going to shut down one of DCA's most popular rides for an extended refurb right before Christmas??? HA!!! I doubt it! And they are going to introduce Marvel into the parks with a relatively minor character, the Collector? Wrong again. They are going to completely forsake the Old Hollywood theming that they just spent millions of dollars on rehabbing Buena Vista Street by plopping an enormous beacon of a space alien age modern franchise right there?? NO!!!! (seriously ToT is a huge building)

I have read that Disney's licensing deal with the Twilight Zone is due for a renewal soon, I think this is their way of getting a cheaper deal somehow. I do agree that the Hollywood backlot needs some serious help, and I wouldn't mind Marvel in DCA in some other capacity. How about letting the imagineers run wild, and create something original and amazing for this new franchise? But this idea is just plain wack from A to Z. It makes zero sense.

Maybe I'm in denial, but if this happens, just...gosh I will be so sad. This ride is not outdated, it's not lacking in crowds. In fact it's the exact opposite, a fan favorite through and through, constantly commanding one of the longest lines in the park. The theming is second to none and matches DCA in a way that no retheme could possibly rival. This would be a huge mistake on Disney's part.

Last edited:

First of all, I really don't see how they could accomplish this either as an overlay OR as a complete retheming, short of knocking the hotel down and starting from scratch. The building is incredibly iconic, and I don't believe that DLR demographic (largely locals) would EVER be able to see it as anything other than the tower with a cheap coat of paint over it if they went this route. And they are going to shut down one of DCA's most popular rides for an extended refurb right before Christmas??? HA!!! I doubt it! And they are going to introduce Marvel into the parks with a relatively minor character, the Collector? Wrong again. They are going to completely forsake the Old Hollywood theming that they just spent millions of dollars on rehabbing Buena Vista Street by plopping an enormous beacon of a space alien age modern franchise right there?? NO!!!! (seriously ToT is a huge building)

I have read that Disney's licensing deal with the Twilight Zone is due for a renewal soon, I think this is their way of getting a cheaper deal somehow. I do agree that the Hollywood backlot needs some serious help, and I wouldn't mind Marvel in DCA in some other capacity. How about letting the imagineers run wild, and create something original and amazing for this new franchise? But this idea is just plain wack from A to Z. It makes zero sense.

Maybe I'm in denial, but if this happens, just...gosh I will be so sad. This ride is not outdated, it's not lacking in crowds. In fact it's the exact opposite, a fan favorite through and through, constantly commanding one of the longest lines in the park. The theming is second to none and matches DCA in a way that no retheme could possibly rival. This would be a huge mistake on Disney's part.

What she said!

I don't have an issue with a GOTG ride, or a Marvel land...I just don't like this shoe-horning of Marvel and Old-Hollywood together. If you're going to make it a Marvel land, get rid of the old Hollywood backlot idea entirely and just go full out Marvel. WDI does some amazing things, and I do have faith that they can make whatever they do look amazing...I'm just not sold on this combination of Marvel and old Hollywood.

The DIS said that this was coming tot ToT at DHS at WDW so if this indeed the case I would suspect that Disney would re-theme both rides so they were the same.

This really, really sucks I have to say as ToT is one of the best themed rides that they have and will hate to see it go.

Come on Disney leave well enough alone......add new experiences instead of taking away great ones!

MiceAge's article yesterday isn't the first time this rumor has been discussed on the Internet. The March 21-28 Disneyland Resort update on MousePlanet also discussed this rumor. They picked it up from a WDWMagic.com member and gave it enough credence to at least report it as a rumor with possibility.

YES WHAT SHE SAID!!!!

Sorry but this is not happening. Micechat is a joke. They said the Subs were closing and so was Toontown and they're still here.

This is so true. I hung out there for a number of years before coming to the DIS.
MC simply pulls nonsense out of thin air and starts rumors like this just to create activity on their site.
They have zero credibility with me.

This is so true. I hung out there for a number of years before coming to the DIS.
MC simply pulls nonsense out of thin air and starts rumors like this just to create activity on their site.
They have zero credibility with me.
Micechat didn't create this rumor...it's been out there for a month or so from other sources.

The change to Tower of Terror is a big disappointment. I have always loved the theme, the atmosphere, the music and the gardens of this attraction. It's a look back at the grace and elegance of an era long gone.

We can always enjoy the music!

i thought this all started as an april fools joke. sounds like some people have just run with it

Micechat didn't create this rumor...it's been out there for a month or so from other sources.

My point was that if you read something on MC it's of no more credibility than getting your news form the National Enquirer. If MC re-posts something then it is probably full of miss-quotes and embellishments.
So in essence, if one wants to post something like this for discussion, it would be best to start with a story from any other source.

Last edited:
If Disney wants to ramp up interest in the TOT, then turn on the radomizer that they have at WDW. That makes their version totally awesome. "Never the same thrill twice"... that was the marketing. And that ride is a lot more fun now.

DCA really can't afford to have a major E-ticket go down just so that it can get a paint job. Especially a ride that happens to be at the top of a lot of lists. There's room to make another ride. They should do that first.

Last edited:
This just in from MiceChat (not really).

Splash Mt will now become SMASH Mountain. DL execs are really upset about not utilizing Marvel. So a favorite ride of many park goers that's based on a movie that's illegal to sell in America will be replaced by an Incredible Hulk theme. This ride will take you through an area where guests are exposed to gamma radiation, then floated on a river of heavy water until you get to to a circular prison cell where you're dropped from a heli-carrier and smashed into a pool of green liquid. SMASH! In addition to this, Disney is giving Winnie the Pooh the ejection seat and replacing his attraction with a dark ride called The Many Adventures of Iron Man. After you ride through this attraction based on Stark Tower invention labs, you can eliminate the Civil War in your empty belly by heading over to Hungry Cap restaurant. Enjoy views of X-Men island, surrounded by Midgard Sea, while you feast on 1950s burgers, just like Cap used to enjoy back in WW2.

Welcome to Marvel Country!

Splash Mt will now become SMASH Mountain. DL execs are really upset about not utilizing Marvel. So a favorite ride of many park goers that's based on a movie that's illegal to sell in America will be replaced by an Incredible Hulk theme. This ride will take you through an area where guests are exposed to gamma radiation, then floated on a river of heavy water until you get to to a circular prison cell where you're dropped from a heli-carrier and smashed into a pool of green liquid. SMASH! In addition to this, Disney is giving Winnie the Pooh the ejection seat and replacing his attraction with a dark ride called The Many Adventures of Iron Man. After you ride through this attraction based on Stark Tower invention labs, you can eliminate the Civil War in your empty belly by heading over to Hungry Cap restaurant. Enjoy views of X-Men island, surrounded by Midgard Sea, while you feast on 1950s burgers, just like Cap used to enjoy back in WW2.

That sounds amazing! When is this happening?

Not nearly enough snark for a Micechat "article". No derogatory comments about how the park is run or the supposed plan, no titillating and completely unprovable claims of Disney execs "hitting the roof" about the leak, no whiny reminiscing about how much better the parks used to be.

Yep, you've got a long way to go before you can write for Micechat. :D

Bit surprised that a moderator would not put rumor in the title of their post considering that is all this is - until you hear it from the mouse himself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter