Tow Vehicle...

seabee

<marquee><font color=deeppink>Signmaker extraordin
Ok, Jim and I have decided that we really need to upgrade our TV. We have pretty much pinned down that we want a F350 dually, we don't want the off road package however, because we need it to sit lower so we can get Jim in. We install a seat that takes the place of the front passenger seat, and it turns and comes right out of the car down to his wheelchair level. If the vehicle is too high I can't transfer him because going up hill just doesn't work so well. Our trailer packed is about 9000 lbs. And the hope is one day upgrading the trailer to a 5th wheel. So my question is, what are the opinions of the "experts"? Those that own this vehicle do you find it tows well? Any other suggestions for a vehicle?

No clue on this one. We have a 3500 lb pop-up and a TV that I have to do a vertical split to get up into. Just taking this opportunity to say "HI!" and keep your post at the top until somebody with mad skills in this area decides to log on! :thumbsup2

My dad has had 3 F350's, but not duallies. He has not had any problems with any of them. He has pulled everything from a 34ft travel trailer to a 36ft fifth wheel with slides. No problems at all. He and my uncle used to kind of race through the mountains to see who had more umph pulling. My uncle had a Dodge. Just an FYI. Dbil has a GMC dually and he swears by that. I guess that doesn't really help much does it?

No clue on this one. We have a 3500 lb pop-up and a TV that I have to do a vertical split to get up into. Just taking this opportunity to say "HI!" and keep your post at the top until somebody with mad skills in this area decides to log on! :thumbsup2

:) Thanks

I do like the Dodges but I think they sit up too high.

I have an 08 f350, and all I can tell you is DON'T DO IT!!!!

LOL I only get about 8mpg towing and 12 empty, I have an f-350 crew cab lariat 4x4 with the 6.4 diesel. Love the truck except for the mileage. It can pass absolutely any except a gas station. It will smoke all 4 back tires from a dead stop if you want.
I would say look for a couple year old 6.0, but not too old, they had real problems in 03-04.

The truck tows like a dream, our trailer is 34' and weighs about 11k loaded or a little more. You can do 90mph with one finger on the wheel, and have one eye closed. LOL But the fuel mileage makes it all really frustrating.

Ask me any questions, I have had so many super duty fords I think I have lost count. ;)

We saw an AWESOME F350 towing a 40' 5er last weekend. It towed it like it was pulling a pop up. But, the standard trucks sit a bit too high. That's why we were looking at the duallies, they are a little lower. How is the towing capacity on the Chevy's?

I would compare the step in height on all 3 brands. I do know that the Chevy 2wd and 4wd used to have exactly the same front suspension, the 2wd just doesnt have the driven front hubs or the differential and shafts, the ride height was the same either way.
It used to be that the Ford 2wd was the lowest stock height but I think that changed with the last model change.
If you still find yourself with too tall of a truck you may consider having one lowered a few inches. It is costly to lower one properly (guesstimate $1500) but a 3-4" drop could make a world of difference in your case.
I would go to the dealers and bring a tape measure, see what the height is to the bottom of the front door and use that as your reference.
All 3 trucks with the diesel option have approximately the same towing capacity, the gas engine may be a different story.

Thanks Scott. That is some good info. :thumbsup2

You know, that made me think. When my dad was looking for a truck a while ago, my friend that is a sales manager at a ford dealer said that if you ordered it, ford would make you a truck that was lower as a handicapped accessible kinda thingy. Might be worth checking out, even if the dealership says they never heard of it, have them ask up the ladder or ask yourself.

You know, that made me think. When my dad was looking for a truck a while ago, my friend that is a sales manager at a ford dealer said that if you ordered it, ford would make you a truck that was lower as a handicapped accessible kinda thingy. Might be worth checking out, even if the dealership says they never heard of it, have them ask up the ladder or ask yourself.

Good idea!

John is right. Ford does offer a lowering option for the Super Duty trucks. The stock ride height even for a 2 wheel drive dually is higher than the old non-Super Duty F350. The service department of the dealership should know about this.

You think something like this might help? Or maybe something like this. There are many programs you can check into that can help pay for some or all of the vehicle modifications.

I'd like to point out that as of 2008 Dodge Ram Cummins diesels come standard with an EXHAUST BRAKE ! Looky here. I have an exhaust brake on my motorhome and you won't believe how helpful that is. Oh ya, I also own a '04 Ram with the 5.9 Cummins Turbo and pulling my 12,000 lb fifth wheel we got from 10.5 mpg to as high as 12 mpg on the round trip from MI to WDW.

I had an 02 F350 duallie with the 7.3...great truck, but it was only 2wd and it lost traction EASILY. I swore I'd never have a diesel without 4wd for that very reason. I've got an 07 Dodge 2500 megacab 5.9 and it does sit a lot higher! I had an 00 chevy duallie 4wd 3500 with the 454 and it sat really low, loved gas and didn't tow very well.

Decide on the truck you want and then investigate suspension options as have been suggested. I like fords, but there have been some consistent engine problems since the old 7.3 If a FW is not a must, why not an E350 van? You can even get the wheelchair lift and might find a 4wd aftermarket option.

I love my Dodge..pulls GREAT, but even my wife complains about the height.

Yeah, we thought about the E-series, but we want to eventually be in a 5er so we gotta go with the truck. Besides, we love the seat we have. We don't loose any seating in the vehicle and Jim can be up front rather than in the back. The plan is to stay with the vehicle we get this time. Of course that was the plan last time too until we upgraded the trailer.;)

I monitor various webpages on behalf of Ford and hope you don't mind me posting a comment here. Ford has a Mobility Motoring program for adding adaptive equipment to its vehicles. If you're interested in more information, you can call the Ford Mobility Motoring Customer Care Center at
(800) 952-2248 or just visit the website at Fordmobilitymotoringprogram.com Hopefully they can provide you with some information to help you make your decision. Thanks.

I think you would be happy with any of the big three diesels but stay away from 04 and 05 Fords. Owned a 95 Ford 7.3 and an 04 Ford 6.0 and an 05 Ford 6.0 and the latter 2 were pieces of you know what. I am now a Dodge Mega Cab Dually 5.9 CTD fan. If you want mileage and dependability then you will want a cummins. Otherwise the Chevy/GMC with the Allison tranny or a late model Ford will due ya just fine. I tow a heavy trailer, a Cyclone 3795 and get almost 11 mpg. with my cummins.:thumbsup2

My wife is getting a new tow vehicle for her tent trailer we are getting rid of the minivan and getting her a new 2009 GMC Acadia crossover utility vehicle rated now for 5200 lbs over the 4500 lbs rated 2008 version with 288HP and 270ft lbs of torque. It seats 8 and comes with all the amenities she and I wanted including the biggest one it is NOT A MINIVAN lol...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter