Touring with first timers - help me plan!

Kailua's Belle

Mouseketeer
I've posted several new threads over the last few months and have gotten great info. Thank you so much! I'd say I'm a pretty experienced Disneyland goer, but by no means a regular or expert. My style is usually get there early, get a ton done in the morning, then go with the flow in the evening. I'm headed there next week to help my brother and his family for their first trip there and don't want to mess this up and not sure my usual style will work out! My goal is to have a basic plan, but not so rigid that it takes away from the magic. I do understand that the better my plan, the more we'll get done, the less we'll wait! Gotta go back to the days when my kids were little and what really made it magical for them. So here's a rough idea of what I'm planning, but it obviously is very loose at this point and could use some input! Please offer any insight you can to improve my plan! Kids are 7 and 4, both over 42 inches, so can ride almost everything. Of course I'm not sure if they'll like some of the faster, scarier stuff, so thinking I'll ease them into it. Haha!! Grandparents also joining us, so 7 people total.

Day 1 is Sunday, 11/24. Plan is RD at DL, head to Fantasyland and ride a few good ones there. I'm thinking Alice in Wonderland and/or Tea Cups, Dumbo, Snow White (open to suggestions and order!) We'll be doing MM on Tuesday, though, so will do more of FL then, but feel like that's the best place to start with the kids. Open to suggestions on what favorites you guys have to start the trip off right!

Then plan on heading to Frontierland, maybe do Big Thunder, then Pirates and Jungle Cruise. We've got MaxPass, so I'll be on the lookout for FP times and try to collect some for maybe Haunted Mansion and Splash Mountain (if it's warm enough) then maybe do Pooh. Then take the train to Main Street. Not sure if this is too ambitious to finish all this before noon, as we have a reservation for Carnation Cafe at noon. I've read about playing musical chairs with Alice around Coke Corner, is that still a thing? If so, I'm thinking the kids would love that! Anyone know about when that usually is? And where are the princesses these days (sorry, I should totally just look that up)? That used to be my daughter's favorite thing to do, but that was 10 years ago, so not sure how the meet the princess thing works these days.

After lunch, we could maybe go back to FL or see if I've got any Fastpasses lined up for maybe Buzz or Star Tours. Not sure they'll be ready for Space Mountain, but thinking of securing a FP for that later in the evening. We'll probably go back to the hotel to rest and regroup for a couple of hours, come back and would like to ride IaSW once it's lit up. I'll watch for FP times for that. So basically any input on how to structure our evening, working in 6:30 parade and the fireworks would be great. I was going to just kinda see what FP I have collected at that point and/or what has reasonable lines, but feel like I should have a better plan than that. Not sure if we should maybe do Galaxy's Edge, Toontown? No set timing on the break either, so whatever people find is the best time for about a 2-hour break.

Day 2 is Monday, 11/25. Plan is to RD at CA. Nephew LOVES cars! Priority will be to secure FP for RsR right away, as well as WoC. Not sure if we should head straight to TSMWM (is that the right acronym? haha!) or go straight to Carsland and hit Luigi and Mater ride. After we hit those, work in Little Mermaid, Monsters, Inc. I'm way less familiar with CA, so no idea what's a good route to take here. I'm personally not a fan of the Zephyrs or that Goofy rollercoaster. What else am I missing that we shouldn't miss? My dad loves Soarin', so gotta hit that. I'll watch for FP. I love GoTG. Not sure if they'll all want to ride it, so I may ditch them at some point and ride by myself. Hoping to get some victims to join me, though! Lunch suggestions? I was thinking nephew would enjoy Flo's, but food looks underwhelming there! I'm open to suggestions. I'm thinking afternoon time (either before or after an afternoon break) would be a good time to do the Redwood Creek Trail. I've never done that before, though, so don't even know what that's all about but seems like a lot of people say the kids love it. Figured this would also be a good time to do stuff in the Animation building too. What are your favorites there? My older kids always liked the Animation Academy, thinking 7 year old might like that. What's good there for the 4 year old? Okay, as you can see, this day needs some work. Not really interested in seeing Frozen. Used to love Aladdin, but I hear Frozen isn't that great and we've seen several stage versions of Frozen Jr. recently, so that's nothing we need to do. I don't think they're interested in Disney Jr. Dance Party, but if someone tells me it's a must do, I'll look into it.

Day 3 is Tuesday, 11/26. Plan is to do MM at DL. So hit FL and Tomorrowland stuff, redo stuff they liked first day and hit things we didn't do yet. Are the Nemo Subs and Autopia open for MM? I'm purposely leaving Matterhorn off because as much as I used to love that ride, yikes, last month when I rode it, it was rough! I don't think my parents or my brother will want to put their backs through that! If it turns out they're adventurous, definitely Space Mountain. After everything else opens up, head over to Adventure Land to redo the ones the kids like the best (I'll have a better idea about what they like after day 1), then either Galaxy's Edge and/or Toontown if we didn't do those the first day. We have the HB to Go Fantasmic dining package for like 5:00, so will take a break from probably around 2-4 and be back for dinner there. I really liked Docking Bay 7, so would like to try to eat lunch there. Of course kids may not like that place as much.

So, yeah, I'm basically throwing some of this together as I type, lol, and it's all over the place, so feel free to add any input, no matter how big or small! Thanks, DISers!

ok, for me as a regular to Disneyland, your plan sounds fine, HOWEVER I remember back when I was a first timer and went with friends who were regular visitors.

Are your brother and his family morning people? Your style is to rope drop but how are they at getting up so early on vacation to be at the entrance for park opening? Remember its not just adults having to get up and out, its kids too. Have you consulted them about what time they want or can get to the parks? How will you feel if the plan is to rope drop, and you are ready to go but they take longer to get moving and you dont get there until 2 hours after park opening? Add in grand parents and you might need to have a more realistic expectation of what time you actually arrive at the parks.

Have you consulted them about the type of rides, dark rides, thrill rides, classic rides etc. Just cos your kids at the same age loved Splash Mountain, does not mean that your brothers kids are ok going on it.

With a group of 7 , multi-generational, what happens if someone does not want to do a ride, or if someone wants to repeat a ride? Is everyone prepared for the amount of walking, have they got comfortable shoes? What happens if some people are fast walkers and some people are slow walkers?

Ride after ride is how I do the parks, but what if they do a ride and want to to sit or shop and then just walk slowly to the next ride. For example, on your first morning, you have do Fantasyland and then head to Frontierland. But what if they want to sit at the hub, take photos of the castle, oooh look a snack cart, ooh look horsey, mommy mommy can we go on the bus etc etc, thats your plan for Haunted Mansion, Splash, Pirates etc gone A over T!

What about food? When I went the first time with friends, they ate at the Plaza at thats what they did every time they came to Disney. Since I have been going to Disney solo, I havent eaten at The Plaza. My taste in food and my budget is different to my friends. I go once a year so my food budget is different to people who go multiple times a years.

What about character meet and greets, shows, shopping, etc. The plan seems to be all about what you like to do. I get that you want to give your brother and his family the best Disney experience, but the best Disney experience to you may not be the best Disney experience for them.

On my first visit I would have liked to take things a big slower. I was just so overwhelmed and sensory overload. It was great that my friends just did ride after ride with me but, since I have been going solo, my touring style has changed.

Every time my friends came to Disney they would get pizza and then find a spot in front of the castle to watch the fireworks. When I go solo I go to Fantasmic every year, and I don't watch the fireworks at the castle. My friends never went to Fantasmic.

The same with shopping. When I went with my friends, we would not spend that much time in the shops on Main Street. Main Street was just a place to go through to get to other places. Now when I'm solo I spend about 2 hours in the afternoon wandering through the shops, up one side and down the other.

Lots of good points! And just when I was feeling like I built in a lot of relaxation in my plan, but yeah, I'm crazy, so maybe not... haha!

I did give them the heads up on the importance of rope drop. The kids are very early risers. My sister-in-law tends to move slowly in the mornings, so I did impress upon her how much better it will be to get there early, ahead of the crowds. I think she gets it! Our parents are Disney pros and totally know my style. They've been on all of my DL, WDW and Disney Cruise trips. They totally know that if they follow my plan, there's a method to my madness. My dad used to want to wander off, oh, wait, let's stop and do this, but once he saw how well my planning worked, he stopped questioning me. And as long as I plan a ride on the railroad and Soarin', he's good!

So I haven't gotten to talk to the kids too much about stuff, as this is a surprise for them. I got them Disney Plus and have had them brushing up on all the important movies! My nephew just got over being scared of giant blow up lawn ornaments, so not sure how he'll feel about characters. I will definitely work in some time for that, though, as I think my niece will enjoy that. Those are some of my best memories with my kids!

I have dining reservations for one meal at DL on our days there, but didn't pick a place at CA yet. I will be stocking the fridge with easy breakfast items to get a good start on the day and then fill in meals as needed.

Thank you for reminding me again to take it slow! I need to be reminded of that a lot!!

One thing your brother can do now regarding the rides with his kids is to watch some ride through videos on YouTube (either with them or just to preview to see if the rides will be a good fit). Make sure the videos are from DLR, not from WDW or any other Disney Park. If the kids want to watch the videos to get used to the rides, he can talk them through what to expect and gauge their reactions, e.g. what might be too scary or what will be a hit. Of course, once you get to the parks, you never know what will actually happen, but the videos can be a very good way to ease the kids into what to expect and to build their excitement for their trip -- and to give them some feeling of ownership/control over planning their trip.
For musical chairs at Refreshment Corner, ask the pianist about the time that day -- usually it's around 1 or 2 pm, but if there are any changes that day, the pianist will know.
Princesses are at Princess Fantasy Faire. Some also roam around the castle area, by the wishing well and the little pathways. Look on the app to see who will be where and when.
Don't totally write off seeing Frozen -- if the weather turns out to be very warm and you need a break in a/c in a comfortable chair, go see Frozen! There usually isn't a long wait to get in, and that theater is huge -- easy to find seating if you don't need to be in the very front.
Don't forget the Holiday Festival of Food and Viva Navidad! Lots of fun -- tasty treats, live music, a cavalcade and a little parade, etc.
Make sure to ask everyone what their #1 must-do is for each day -- then make sure to do it! That way everyone ends each day happy.

Last edited:

Something I’d recommend adding to your plan on Sunday is Mickey and the Magical Map. I believe the last show is around 5:20pm, and the IASM lighting happens right before at 5:15. The lighting and show are fun for all ages IMO. Mickey and the Magical Map only shows Friday through Monday, so Sunday will be your only opportunity to fit it in. Other fun experiences at DL include the tree lighting, castle lighting, and snow. Check the daily schedule if your family would enjoy those as well.

Another quick note for your Monday at DCA is that EMH will be happening from 7-8am, so the park will already have onsite hotel guests inside for an hour before normal rope drop. Just mentioning so you all have realistic expectations. 🤗 Breakfast at Flo’s is pretty good, and we like to occasionally grab a late breakfast there. For lunch/other meals, the food booths are a fun option, but Pacific Wharf has several options that you can mobile order from (sourdough bread bowls, Chinese food, Mexican food) for differing taste buds.

I’m in the same boat with a multigenerational trip too. I tour like you too. Ride after ride.

For the FL part of the of the first day I’d do Dumbo, assuming you’re skipping PP. Then I’d do Teacups, Alice, and then Snow. You can see how they like Alice and then make the decision about Snow. My kids weren’t scared but some can be. So maybe have a plan B like Carousel or something like that.

My plan is like yours to head to BTMRR and then I was thinking Splash for those that want it just to save backtracking. I also have a plan B for the kids which is to ride Pooh until others are finished with Splash. I don’t like Splash so I’ll take them. Then we can hit the candy shop while we wait, or just ride it over and over like I did with my youngest when he didn’t ride Splash. It was one of his fondest memories.

Then I’d think maybe Pirates just because HMH might be scary and you can gauge how everyone likes another dark ride. The try HMH with a FP if they like Pirates. Then JC after Pirates. Then hopefully the FP for HMH will be close. Otherwise do Tarzan and Tiki and wait for HMH. Then start collecting for Buzz and Star Tours and Space. My plan B for Space is kid swap by doing Autopia and others doing Space. Nothing more fun than driving at 7!

I’m no expert

@BadPinkTink makes some great observations. And I think the most important take-away is that you have to be flexible. You have to be willing to change your approach on the fly as you recognize the preferences and limitations of those you're touring with.

I remember a few years ago, we thought we had Disney down to a science. And then we took a trip with my in-laws. I talked to them about the plan ahead of time, and they assured me that they were good with it, and they wouldn't have any problem with the pace. But by the second attraction, it was obvious that it wasn't working for them.

So I threw out the plan completely and came up with a new, completely different plan on the spot. And it worked! It was a very different kind of trip for us, but everyone had a great time. If I'd have tried to hold to the original plan, it would have been a disaster.

Another time, my daughter started throwing up on the second day. She's a trooper, so she still wanted to be in the parks as much as possible, but she could only handle about six hours a day (and that was slower paced and with some obvious limitations). Again, the original plan went out the window, and we came up with another plan on the fly that made the most of the trip.

So start with a plan in mind. And the one you lay out seems like a good one. But expect to at least tweak it along the way, and be prepared to change it completely.

I'm touring with first timers also next week... you and I are stressing out about the same stuff lol. My kids are teenagers and my sisters grand kids are kindergartner's and we have folks from just about every generation in between going. I'm the resident expert (I guess) so feeling the pressure to make sure all have a good time. So say hi if you see us at rope drop...lol

So we are going to DL/DCA for the first time this spring after a couple trips to WDW. I see you have mostly grown kids, but from the perspective of a mom with littles , I think you are being too optimistic about the stamina of the niece and nephew. To see fireworks the first day and be up early the second and third would have me concerned about crabbiness, especially about 10am the 2nd day. Could you take a rest day somewhere in all this or is time limited? And I know hotel breaks are always recommended by posters, but my kids never nap on vacation. My kids will swim but then sometimes they don't want to get out of the pool. Maybe I'd plan for a show or train ride during the time you would go back to hotel for break?

I would say plan for some time in Cars Land just to explore if your nephew loves Cars. My boys LOVE Cars and they love to walk around and look at all the details that are just like the movie. My 11 year old is already asking that we be in Cars Land when the sun goes down to watch the neon comes on. It's his favorite thing. Your nephew may also want to take a photo with Mater or Lightning or both while they are out.

I would also echo what @Paigesmom2013 is saying in that you might not get as much done as you expect with the kids. Just be ready for that! We usually have our kids start going on longer walks to prep them for a 12+ hour day at the parks. We don't take breaks away from the parks, but tell the kids to let us know if they get tired and we will stop. We make sure to take regular snack/restroom breaks and get enough liquids as well. No one has fun when one of us gets hangry. LOL.

The kids would love Tom Sawyer Island. My boys love to run and get all their wiggles out on the island. It's a great place for a break and something to do where you aren't waiting in a line. There are benches as well if the older folks want to take a break.

It's so hard when you go with others and everyone looks at you for the next thing to do! It's a lot of pressure. I think as long as you guys are together, you will have fun! Maybe make sure to tell everyone that if they want to do something specific, they need to speak up. Take tons of photos and have a great time! We will be at RD on Sunday the 24th too. ;)

Last edited:
Don't underestimate the appeal of Tom Sawyer Island for that age group. I don't see it in your itinerary, but it's a great spot for kids to run and play without waiting in line. I do wish they had a few more benches and places for adults relax.

Regarding dining in DCA, we like to mobile order from eateries on Pacific Wharf and take the food through the back way inro Carlsand to the patio at Flo's because I agree that the food choices at Flo's are underwhelming, but the atmosphere is great (though my daughter does like the chicken finger kids entree).

I'm prepping for a multi-generational trip in September with my in-laws (MIL, FIL, SIL, BIL and nephew (5), niece (2)). I always have to take deep breaths when I travel with them because I'm a go-go-go person and they're the wake up late, have a leisurely brunch at 10, decide we can't go anywhere because we need to prep for lunch at 12, go out somewhere for an hour or so, back to the house for naps/rest, then dinner. DL is probably the worst place to go with them, but since we have Flex Passes this year and will have 4 commando-style trips prior to our trip, we can take it slow on this trip.

The 4 yr old is going to run out of gas. On an average DL day, our family regularly walks 8-11 miles. That's a long way for little legs like that. Consider renting a stroller for the 4 yr old. Between now and when you guys arrive, try to convince your brother & his family that for day 1, Sunday, it's a get up early & be there for rope drop day. With a 7 and 4 yr old, I would do stuff in about this order:

Dumbo - slow loader
** use Max Pass to get FP for something - I'd probably pick Star Tours first
Alice in Wonderland ride
Mr Toad
carousel
Pinocchio or Snow White - if either of the kids are skittish, do Pinocchio instead
Now go to Tomorrowland and go on...
Autopia
use FP for Star Tours. Get next FP for Space Mtn or Indiana Jones
Buzz Lightyear

Now go to Adventureland...
Jungle Cruise
Tiki Room
use FP for Indiana Jones. Get next FP for Space Mtn, HM, or BTMRR. If going on Space Mtn w/FP, I'd probably target to go on it in the evening.
bathroom

Now go to New Orleans Square...
Pirates or HM - whichever has shorter line (probably Pirates). You'll probably need a FP for HM so you don't have to wait 30+ minutes
HM using FP. Get next FP for Splash Mtn or BTMRR.
Winnie the Pooh
stop for lunch at Hungry Bear. If reg park opening is 8 am, it's probably about 11:30 am by now.

After lunch...
BTMRR using FP. Get FP for Space Mtn if return time is in the 4-6 pm time frame. Set alarm on your phone for when you can grab next FP using Max Pass.
ride on the Mark Twain or the sailing ship.
visit Tom Sawyer's Island
Leave the park, go to hotel for a break.

Late afternoon/evening (~ 5 pm-ish):
Go back to DL. Get on train at Main Street Station, get off at New Orleans Square station.
Walk to Galaxy's Edge.
Eat early dinner at Docking Bay 7 in Galaxy's Edge.
Go on the Millennium Falcon ride. Probably plan on ~ 1 hr wait for that. There's no FP for it.
Explore Galaxy's Edge, then leave out the entrance/exit that is closer to Fantasyland. While in Galaxy's Edge, get a FP for Roger Rabbit or IASW.
Go on Roger Rabbit or IASW.
If line to meet Mickey isn't bad, do that. Otherwise, wait and don't meet Mickey until your Tues EMH day...I have ideas for ride/attraction order for that day to minimize wait times.

** Decide where you're going to watch fireworks: hub, Main Street, by IASW (it's pretty back there & they do the projections on the IASW building), or back in Galaxy's Edge.
** Parade - skip this on Sunday and see it on Mon or Tues instead.

Pulling out a few specific questions in your original post...

And where are the princesses these days (sorry, I should totally just look that up)? That used to be my daughter's favorite thing to do, but that was 10 years ago, so not sure how the meet the princess thing works these days.

You'll want to hit up the Princess Fantasy Faire area just to the left the castle for princess central. The Royal Hall has M&G with several classics (names will be posted outside, usually ones like Aurora, Snow White, Ariel and Cinderella) and there is also a M&G outside that usually alternates between two different princesses (and often includes their "prince" as well. Today looks like its Aladdin and Jasmine in the morning and Rapunzel and Flynn this afternoon). I'd keep an eye on the app to see who's around. They also have some very cute live storytellings in the Royal Theatre there. I think the age of kids you have would really enjoy them but they're also done in a style that's funny and entertaining for adults too. Check the sign posted for which show will be when (usually Beauty and the Beast and Rapunzel) and try to catch at least one. The princess featured in the story also usually meets afterwards.

There are princesses sprinkled around elsewhere too. Tiana can often be found around NOS or Frontierland and she also likes to ride the Mark Twain. Moana is sometimes around too. Watch the characters on the app the next few days to get a sense of when and where. And then there's Anna and Elsa in DCA (more on them later).

Day 2 is Monday, 11/25. Plan is to RD at CA. Nephew LOVES cars! Priority will be to secure FP for RsR right away, as well as WoC. Not sure if we should head straight to TSMWM (is that the right acronym? haha!) or go straight to Carsland and hit Luigi and Mater ride. After we hit those, work in Little Mermaid, Monsters, Inc. I'm way less familiar with CA, so no idea what's a good route to take here. I'm personally not a fan of the Zephyrs or that Goofy rollercoaster. What else am I missing that we shouldn't miss?

If TSMM is up (check the app) head there first if you want to ride it without a FP. Since it will be EMH at DCA that day for hotel guests so there will already be people in line but it's still worthwhile. The line builds quickly at the start of the day for TSMM and stays long for the rest of the day. Also not on your list but the kids might enjoy is the Emotional Whirlwind (Inside Out). This is the former Flik's Flyers ride from Bugs Land rethemed for Inside Out and located near the end of Pixar Pier past the Pal-A-Round. The Pal-A-Round is another possibility if its a nice day. For whatever reason all my girls LOVED the swinging cars around 4-6 years old. Now two of them won't even go on the non-swinging ones! Even on non-swinging its still a pleasant ride with nice views, IMO, though it's not for everyone. My kids also love the Symphony Swings and always beg to ride them even though the ride is super short so might want to put that on your list too. I hate the Jumping Jellyfish but others love it so worth considering.

I'm thinking afternoon time (either before or after an afternoon break) would be a good time to do the Redwood Creek Trail. I've never done that before, though, so don't even know what that's all about but seems like a lot of people say the kids love it.

Definitely hit up Redwood Creek whenever the kids are hitting their limit on standing in line for rides and waiting for things. It's basically a giant playground where they can run around and explore. Call it the Tom Sawyer's island of DCA.

Figured this would also be a good time to do stuff in the Animation building too. What are your favorites there? My older kids always liked the Animation Academy, thinking 7 year old might like that. What's good there for the 4 year old?

Anna and Elsa's meet and greet is inside the Animation building so there's another princess opportunity. I believe they will be in their outfits from Frozen 2 as well since it opens this week. Turtle Talk is also a fun alternative that might appeal to the 4yr old while the older one is at the Animation Academy. That said, depending on the kid 7 is still, IMO, on the young end for Animation Academy. The pace of the class can be hard for younger ones to keep up with.

Not really interested in seeing Frozen. Used to love Aladdin, but I hear Frozen isn't that great and we've seen several stage versions of Frozen Jr. recently, so that's nothing we need to do. I don't think they're interested in Disney Jr. Dance Party, but if someone tells me it's a must do, I'll look into it.

The Frozen show is actually really great. But it is a time suck and if you're "Frozen-ed" out you can probably skip it. If the younger one watches the shows featured in the Disney Jr Dance Party they might enjoy that-my kids used to love it. It's quite close to the Animation Building too so if timing worked out that might be another option to split up while some do Animation Academy.

For Monday 11/25:
Don't worry about EMH at DCA. Only hotel guests at the 3 on site hotels can use it and not all of them get up early enough to take advantage of it. I'd do something like this:

Get FP for RSR. Set alarm on your phone to remind you when you can get next FP.
Luigi's
Mater's
Toy Story ride back in Pixar Pier
Little Mermaid
use FP for RSR, depending on return time. Get Soarin' as next FP.
Animation Academy
Turtle Talk - the kids will enjoy it given their ages
go on Soarin' using FP. Get FP for GOTG.
Monsters, Inc.
eat lunch at Flo's since the 7 yr old loves Cars so much. It has great atmosphere there.
kids can burn off some steam in the Redwood Creek challenge trail while you wait for your GOTG return window.
Go on GOTG using your FP. Next FP should be for something at DL.

Re: the older adults in your group - like grandparents - remind them that WOC is all standing, even while you wait for the show to start. Give them the out to skip it if that doesn't sound great to them.

Plan on leaving DCA by 1:30-2 pm. Your hotel break should be ~ 3 hr long in order for everyone to truly unwind and to have energy for the evening in my opinion (when our family only does a 2 hr break, we've found it's not long enough).

In evening on Monday:
Go back and redo anything that the group wants to do again. Kids will probably be totally pooped this evening. Rule of thumb should be for everybody to spend the evening going at their own pace and not everybody has to stick together the entire time if they don't want to ride everything that everyone does.

You should expect that the grandparents will WANT to keep up with the rest of you, but they might not have the physical stamina to do so. Those are good times for them to park themselves on a bench and enjoy some scenery while the rest of you run off to a ride or 2.

For Tues 11/26, your MM entry day:
You need to decide between Fantasyland or Tomorrowland. If it's Fantasyland, you can get in about 5 rides in that first hour: Dumbo, Mad Tea Party, Alice, Mr Toad, carousel or Pinocchio or Snow White. At reg park opening is when the Casey Jr Circus Train & Storybook Land Canal Boats open.

If you want to go on the submarines, during MM is the time to do it. It's a great attraction, but it's a slow loader. Anybody who struggles with stairs or gets claustrophobic should probably skip it. So if you're focusing on Tomorrowland for MM, I'd do things in this order, assuming you're using the whole MM hour:

Submarine
Space Mtn
Autopia
Star Tours

After Tomorrowland, I'd go to Fantasyland and do the following from reg park opening to 1 hr later:
- Storybook Land Canal Boats
- Casey Jr
- Mad Tea Party
- 1 other ride from Sun that you want to redo

Then bathroom break at the bathrooms that are near the Mickey & the Magical Map theater.
After that, be at the entrance to Toon Town 1 hour after reg. park opening.
Walk straight to Mickey's house and everybody gets a group photo with Mickey with no wait.
Then walk straight onto Roger Rabbit, no need to use FP.
** Of course while you're doing all of the above, you've already gotten a FP to ride something mid-morning (in the 9:30-10:30 am-ish window).
Let kids explore Toon Town for a bit. Grandparents can sit and watch.
IASW if you want to do that again.
Get on train at Fantasyland station, take it to New Orleans Square.
Use FP for HM, IJ, BTMRR, or Splash Mtn.
Tiki Room or Jungle Cruise or Pirates

Do a stomach check. Anybody hungry? Do QS at Hungry Bear, French Market, or Plaza Inn.
After lunch, go on Pirates if you didn't in the morning.
Go on HM using FP if you didn't go on it yet.
Go to Tom Sawyer's Island if you didn't do that on Sunday.
Decide if you want to go to Galaxy's Edge again. If you do, do that after lunch and skip HM, Tom Sawyer's Island, etc.

I'm speechless! You all are so awesome and there's so much good advice here, I can't even begin to address it all individually. So glad I posted this, as it looks like I'm not alone in feeling the pressure of being the family tour guide. Good luck on your planning, @bajadahl We'll have to be on the lookout for each other. Haha!!

I ordered a stroller for the four year old and it's being delivered to the hotel on Saturday... that was golden advice, thank you, @VandVsmama

I agree also with the advice that nighttime entertainment every night might be tough and then getting them up and out again the next morning. My brother really wants to see Fantasmic, so I made sure I booked the Hungry Bear to Go for our last night. WoC could be a game-time decision. I've actually only seen it once and it was years ago. I was underwhelmed, but I read so many good things on here, I thought I should include it, but not at the expense of exhausted kids (or grandparents!)

And yes, I think Tom Sawyer Island will be great! My kids used to love that. It had just turned into Pirate's Lair last time I took them.

I'm getting super pumped and feel way more ready after reading all of this advice. Thank you, all! It's been forever since I did a trip report, but I'm feeling like I have to do that so I can give back to this amazing forum!!

I am always on the fence with WOC as well. I am never wowed by it! Fantasmic was always my favorite and then they removed my favorite part :(

My youngest is super tricky with night time shows! If we keep going and riding attractions, he can stay up. If we stop, at all, to watch any night time show, he gets sleepy and can barely hang on! So we usually skip the night shows for now! A stroller is a great idea!

I am always on the fence with WOC as well. I am never wowed by it! Fantasmic was always my favorite and then they removed my favorite part :(

My youngest is super tricky with night time shows! If we keep going and riding attractions, he can stay up. If we stop, at all, to watch any night time show, he gets sleepy and can barely hang on! So we usually skip the night shows for now! A stroller is a great idea!

Oh, yay, glad I'm not the only one! Haha! Maybe it just doesn't hold any nostalgia for me. Now, the Believe Fireworks bring tears to my eyes, so I can't wait for that! And I'll always love Fantasmic!!! What part did they take out? I'm trying to remember the differences but it had been so long in between, a lot seemed different for me last time I saw it.

I have yet to see WOC because usually we want to focus on rides and none of us want to stand for an hour to see it. One of these days, we'll splurge for a WOC dessert party and see it that way.

When we first took our kids to DL, they were 4 and 6. We no longer had a stroller at home, but I rented one for the 3-day trip and it was a life saver. My kids would take turns riding in it. And especially for our 4 yr old, she was able to last longer throughout the day because of it. The following year at ages 5 and 7, no stroller was necessary.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter