• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

touring tips?

NorthernCalMom

Compulsive Touring Planner
We're frequent Dland visitors, but usually go in the middle of summer and stay in one of the resort hotels. We'll be in Disneyland next week (Saturday, December 23) and will be staying on the Harbor Blvd side, so I am trying to, as our family's planner, figure out how to adjust our usual touring strategies. I appreciate any feedback any of you may have for us.

Our main purpose is to give the kids a chance to experience the HM and IASW holiday versions, as well as to enjoy the seasonal decorations. If we can get a few rides in during the early morning before the lines go crazy, even better. We are not planning on getting Genie+, and we have no problem getting up early. We're not going to park-hop but will stay in Disneyland. Our kids are 16 and 18 years old and have pretty good stamina for a long day (as far as fatigue goes, I'm probably the family's weakest link). Touring Plan's crowd predictor expects it to be busy (crowd level 8 out of 10) but not as crazy as the 10 out of 10 expected on some of the days between Christmas and New Years. Another indication that it may not be insanely crowded, but somewhat similar to what we're used to from our August visits, could be that reservations for both parks are currently (12/17) still available for both parks. Also, the weather may be somewhat iffy, which could result in slightly lower numbers, too.

Our biggest unknown is when to be at the Harbor Blvd entrance to make it through security early and end up at the front of the ropes. What should our timeline be? When we come from the other side, we usually leave the hotel about 1.5 hrs before early entry, wait at the security entrance until they open, get through security quickly, speed walk through Downtown Disney, and end up in front at the turn stiles. Do we need to adjust that timeline for entering from Harbor Blvd? When does security usually open on that side? Are guests who passed security held at the turnstiles or scanned in and then waiting at the ropes?

I've been looking at wait times the past couple of Saturdays. It seems that the line patterns I know from our summer visits do apply: shorter lines in the early morning that more or less consistently rise throughout the day (with the rides that have holiday overlays starting with short lines and then building more quickly than they would in summer). Anything else we should know and factor in?

Thank you so much in advance for any advice you may have for us.

Edited to add: I saw in a few other threads that Harbor security opens 7am. What I‘m trying to figure out is how early to be there to be at the front of the pack when security opens. Would 6:30 work?

Last edited:
I'm sure crowds will be a bit crazier when you visit than our week. We were at the parks and the Grand Cal for the week of Thanksgiving with a few days in Disneyland.

Here is one observation I saw that will adapt to four our trip next year. The Haunted Mansion had a 40+ min wait every time we looked. Small World was a walk on and looked beautiful at night when we snuck to the back of the park and took some photos and did a quick ride of a few extra walk on attractions after the fireworks. Wife and son did Big Thunder at about a 10 to 15 min wait and I took our little girl on multiple Fantasy Land rides before we caught back up and did photos in front of Small World and did a quick 5 to 10 min wait for Runaway Railroad and a 5 min wait for Rodger Rabbit. My kids are usually in bed by 9 to 10 when we are at the parks but we do push at least one night to get closer to close. We didn't go on the Small World as we had already waited in line (about 40 min) earlier that day. The one bonus is we did get lucky and got to watch the parade while in line. Hope this helps.

Last time I rope dropped from the harbor entrance, there was already a small 15-20 person queue outside the gates when I arrived at 6:30 am, security opened the gates at about 6:45 am and the queue advanced to the tents near the shuttle stops, security screening opened at 7:00 am, parks started scanning guests in thru the turnstiles at 7:20 am, hotel guests hit EE rope drop at 7:30 am, everyone else experienced rope drop #2 at 8:00 am. You would likely be at or near the front of non-EE rope drop if you were at the harbor entrance between 6:30 and 6:45 am, but it Is possible that the lines form earlier during the holidays.

Small World was a walk on and looked beautiful at night when we snuck to the back of the park and took some photos and did a quick ride of a few extra walk on attractions after the fireworks. Wife and son did Big Thunder at about a 10 to 15 min wait and I took our little girl on multiple Fantasy Land rides before we caught back up and did photos in front of Small World and did a quick 5 to 10 min wait for Runaway Railroad and a 5 min wait for Rodger Rabbit.
Just to be clear. These short wait times were AFTER the fireworks.

Fireworks projections can be viewed from in front of the castle, on Main Street, Rivers of America (water projection) and IASW. You might plan what side of the park you want to do in the late evening. After fireworks, there is usually a mass exodus out of the park and rides that normally have long lines (Dumbo, Smugglers Run, etc.) will have little to no line. However, if you are watching fireworks at Rivers of America, you will have to navigate through throngs of people to get to IASW. It takes about 30-40 min for the crowds to clear and then the park is yours.

Just to be clear. These short wait times were AFTER the fireworks.

Fireworks projections can be viewed from in front of the castle, on Main Street, Rivers of America (water projection) and IASW. You might plan what side of the park you want to do in the late evening. After fireworks, there is usually a mass exodus out of the park and rides that normally have long lines (Dumbo, Smugglers Run, etc.) will have little to no line. However, if you are watching fireworks at Rivers of America, you will have to navigate through throngs of people to get to IASW. It takes about 30-40 min for the crowds to clear and then the park is yours.

We did our viewing in the crowds of Main Street and it was worth it. The fake snow at the end was fun for the kids and it also made us in no hurry to go anywhere.

Thank you to all of you for the helpful tips. ❤️ I kept checking the app during the past week for wait times, paying particular attention to the days when crowd pattern (per touring plan’s crowd level prediction) matched our day and ignored those on rainy days, since I figure they’re unusually short. This is our current plan:

Leave the hotel (Howard Johnson) at 6am. Google maps predicts an 8 min walk to the Harbor Blvd entrance. Try to end up at the front of the security line, turnstiles, and (regular admission) rope on the Tomorrowland side. After 7:30 am check via app to see if Space Mountain is open. If yes, speed walk there at rope drop (if it’s down cone up with an alternate plan while we’re waiting—Matterhorn? Indy?). After that walk to Haunted Mansion. At that time the line should still be relatively short, so we may try to ride it twice in a row to catch all the details. Then walk to It’s a Small World and ride it. After that we play it by ear. Check out decorations and seasonal snacks. Have fun. Ride smaller rides if the lines are tolerable (were completely ok with not catching everything, since we’re planning to be back next summer).

The drawback of this plan is lots of early morning walking/zigzagging, but we’re ok with that.

It would be nice to catch the parade and, weather permitting, the fireworks. I was thinking about staking out a spot by the Alice restrooms with my husband while our 13 and 18 year old get a few more rides in. How early would we have to be there to get a nice spot? I assume that this is still part of the parade route?

It would be nice to catch the parade and, weather permitting, the fireworks. I was thinking about staking out a spot by the Alice restrooms with my husband while our 13 and 18 year old get a few more rides in. How early would we have to be there to get a nice spot? I assume that this is still part of the parade route?

Our favorite multi-tasking parade watching spots are the benches on that raised platform just north of Edelweiss Snacks (south of Small World) or the tables in the raised platform between Refreshment Corner and Jolly Holiday on Main Street. The Jolly Holiday option has great mobile order options (I've enjoyed a few of the grilled cheese/birria sandwiches or some Gibson Girl with the family while we relax and watch the parade) but the view of the lower people in the parade isn't as good. The Edelweiss spot has better viewing of the parade and you'll get more interaction with the characters but less options to multi-task but Edelweiss has good eats.

Hope you have fun. We'll be at the Grand Cal in a little less than 2 weeks and we are looking forward to seeing how much of the holiday decor is still up when we visit the park/resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter