• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Touring Paris

nicola

<font color=deeppink>Tinkerbell<br><font color=gre
Hi again, We are staying at DLH Nov 28-Dec 2 but have also booked two extra nights at beginning of holiday staying at HI. Since we have been several times to DLP but have never seen Paris I thought it would be nice to actually see some of the sights this time. From previous threads I gather that the RER is the best way to get into Paris. What I am wondering is where is the RER located at DLP? Also and more importantly can anyone recommend what their favourites sights would be to visit in Paris keeping in mind we have a 6 year old boy and 2 and a half year old daughter in tow. I have been on several websites to try and get advice but its like reading through an encyclopedia with volumes of info. I have therefore decided to come back to you guys as you have all been so helpful with things in the past. Thanking you in advance.

Nicola

We did the Illuminations tour on the bus, our 6 year old son loved it, all the buildings were lit up and it was really pretty. There was also a running commentary via headphones which was very interesting, I think that there was a seperate one for children ( or was that in Glasgow ??) anyway my DS really enjoyed the experience, it took in all the sights in one go. It was also in the warm and I guess your little one could always go to sleep. I don't think it was that late though. He loves towers too so the ET was a big draw, huge queue to get the lifts to the top so I decided to take him via the steps - only made it to the first or second level it was a killer, I was virtually on my knees:faint: He was totally disgusted with me but I couldn't go any higher !:rolleyes2

There is also the hop on hop off water bus but I am mindful that you are going in December and it will be cold. ( I wonder how many of these sight seeing attractions will be available at that time of year ) I'm sure someone else on here will know the answer to that one

Thanks Dee8197,
I had actually considered doing the illuminations tour as you are right it will be very cold and we have 6 AND 2 year old. Only thing is then what do we do for the extra day? Anyone recommend the shopping outlet centre?

100_0220.jpg

There were also fantastic views from the top of the Arc de Triomphe ( not so many steps ) Again DS thought he was in seventh heaven !
We purchased a guide bbok that turned out to be really useful. SPIRALGUIDE "Paris" AA World Travel Guides
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/156251332X/qid=1120578208/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_0_2/026-1025424-8274802

Another idea is the sight-seeing boat tours. They do run in the winter according to the website
http://www.bateaux-mouches.fr/English_promenad.htm

Another place would be the "Pompidou Art Center"
www.centrepompidou.fr

Dee8197,

How often do you get off the bus during the illuminations tour? What different sights did you see? Were there many young kids on the bus? Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Still a few weeks yet, but beginning of August we are combining DLP with Paris and staying near the shopping outlet - Val d'Europe. Will let you know how we get on, our children are 7,6 & 3. :cool1:

We did the Illuminations tour in June, it left the Hotel New York at 9pm and didn't get back to NBC until 1/4 to 1 in the morning. We had a 10 minute stop at the Arc de Triomphe and then 30 minutes at the Eiffel Tower.DS 9 slept on the in to Paris and we woke him for the tour then he slept on the way back again.

Julie, What did you think of the tour?

We all enjoyed it, the buildings all looked lovely lit up.I enjoyed seeing all the people at the pavement cafes, and all the shops. We didn't want to use up a whole day on going into Paris , but I didn't want DS going back to school and saying that he'd not even seen the Eiffel Tower.It was lovely all lit up we got there about 20 to 11 and then at 11 it was lit up for 6(or maybe it was 8) minutes and that's when we had to get back on the bus.I hope that makes sense.

Thanks, Julie It all made sense. Just don't know what to do. We have a day and a half to spend on touring Paris before we start the 5 day holiday in DLP. Problem is a full day in Paris in Dec with a 2 and 6 year old? Not sure how this will go down that is why I am considering the night tour but then what to do with the extra day.I like the idea of the open top bus tour as in you can get on and off but I am thinking this might be a bit chilly in Dec. :confused3 Anyone have any thoughts?

Cheers

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter