Touring a Disney Cruise ship while it’s in port in your city?

Well, a lot on that show was inaccurate...it was entertainment and not a documentary after all.

But that was well before security tightened as to who was allowed on board. It could have been permitted then - I cannot remember if there was such an announcement on the Emerald Seas when we were on her in the early 80s when I was in 6th grade. I do remember being very confused that the pool was only open when we were in port - not when the ship was moving.

Yeah, security is the name of the game I expect. I remember when I was little and visiting my grandparents with my family and my grandparents used to be able to meet us at the gate at the airport. Not happening any more!

Ships used to allow this. When I was 11 I went with a friend and my Grandma onto a cruise for the day that was in port. We had lunch and got to explore the ship for hours. It was a lot of fun and my first time on a ship. I think after 9/11 security got a lot tighter with cruises. About ten years ago my Grandmother was on Crystal cruises and I was allowed to go on the ship and have dinner with them when they were in port in Ft Lauderdale. I guess it might depend on the ship.

Back about 1984 or 1985 we were able to visit my parents stateroom for a Bon Voyage Party. I don't remember details but to this day still marvel at the fact we were able to walk on and then they made an announcement and we had to debark because the ship was leaving. We stayed in the port and watched the ship depart. This was out of Manhattan. It was pretty cool and my first time on a cruise ship.

Alright. I’d didn’t figure there was a way. Where it docks in our city.. it’s right in front of a building, and you can’t access the boardwalk behind the building at any time. I’d like to see it, might take a harbour cruise hahahaha
Are you in Halifax? We usually go down to see the Magic when she's in port, too. It's true that Pier 21 blocks a good view, but depending on how many other ships are in that day, she might be farther north on the boardwalk, which helps a little. Otherwise, a harbour tour might be a good option (I wonder if the Woodside ferry might give a good view?)

Are you in Halifax? We usually go down to see the Magic when she's in port, too. It's true that Pier 21 blocks a good view, but depending on how many other ships are in that day, she might be farther north on the boardwalk, which helps a little. Otherwise, a harbour tour might be a good option (I wonder if the Woodside ferry might give a good view?)
Yes, I will be in hfx, last time I drove out to see one of the ships I was like standing on a picnic table in the superstore parking lot, and it was just that you could get a good glimpse of it

The only time I have heard of day guests is whrn doing media or agency training or tours. Disney does allow day guest while Docked in ports especially when they’re doing travel agent trainings or presentations.

I know German cruise lines will actually have special events where one can pay for a lunch on their cruise ships while they are docked as a way to test their product. Lumch and a group tour of ship’s highlights. so you pay basically 50 euros and can go on board for about 4 hours. Space is very limited, you’re considered a big group and are monitored and these always sell out. The cruise line that does this is Aida when in Hamburg

I remember back when cruise ships used to allow people not cruising on board. Years ago (late 80's/early 90's) we went to a wedding on board a cruise ship while it was in port. The newlyweds then went on the cruise as their honeymoon and the rest of us left. I remember it pretty well since my parents booked us a hotel room in San Francisco which was a pretty big deal to us kids since we didn't live that far from the city so usually only traveled there for day trips.

I totally understand why they don't do stuff like that anymore but I remember it being so much fun! I haven't been on a cruise yet at that point and neither had my parents. It must have impressed them enough since a couple of years later we went on a cruise for our family vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter