Totally overwhelmed with options!

esmiles

Earning My Ears
We are a family of 4 with two kids ages 9 and 4. We have done 3 fabulous Disney cruises, the first of which was kicked off by a single day in magic kingdom. I understand that many people plan their Disney trips many many months ahead of time, but we are really strongly considering doing Disney in January as a Christmas gift for my kids. I don't have hours upon hours to read the hundreds of blogs out there to become a disney expert (or even a novice!). I am interested in hearing opinions about the best route to go- Is there any way to rent DVC points (I LOVE the idea of savings here) AND have a travel agent guide us through the process? Do disney travel agents work with non disney hotel options? What I really need is someone to help me determine how to get the best value for a semi last minute trip- or if it is really just a bad idea to plan a trip on such short notice?

How can I get out of this analysis paralysis spiral!?!?

Relevant facts I think weigh into our situation:
My 4 year old still naps some (but not every day) and I am not sure that we will be a dawn to dusk kind of family.
We are a POOL family- love the idea of an awesome pool at our resort but realize it may be too chilly in January to enjoy
We will be driving our own vehicle
We prefer to avoid long bus rides and tons of waiting ( this has me reluctant to consider value resorts, but again may not be a huge issue in January as opposed to peak time)
We plan to stay minimum 5 but hopefully 7 days

From my experience with my Disney travel agent, I have to book tickets and Disney resort thru her in order for her help with planning.
she’s also able to book “other great accommodations” aka the neighboring hotels like the ones in Disney springs and you could still get their planning services. As far as I know, renting DVC points won’t qualify.
You could consider a value hotel on the skyliner line - pop century or art of animation to minimize the bus waiting at least for Epcot and HS.
I think a Disney planner will definitely help with planning the last minute trip and provide recommendations for you that fits your family’s needs best! At least the one I have worked with, I have always been given great descriptions and recommendations without having to do too much external research. In addition, they just make the whole process easier booking reservations and always keeping up with the many changes going on these days. I don’t think end of January is too last minute and is such a great gift for the family. I just booked my trip for Christmas to New Years 3 weeks ago which I thought was last minute for peak season. With my planner, she was able to get me exactly the accommodations i wanted and help me plan a great itinerary and book hard to get adr —- all things I thought were not possible when planning so last minute. I hope that helps!

Last minute trips can definitely work, but it may take more effort on your part. First thought, you may have missed your window to rent DVC, unless you can find a dedicated reservation for rent. As of this morning when I checked there are only a few resorts for the whole month of January that have even 2 consecutive nights available to book in a studio or 1 bedroom. There was a 3 night 1 bedroom consecutive nights at OKW...that's it. Disney travel agents cannot help you rent out DVC. The can book dvc at Disney's price of available inventory ( no price savings.)Disney travel agents can book most hotels on property. Our weather here is definitely hit and miss in January, but since all disney pools are heated ( i believe to 84? Degrees ) your kids may want to swim either way. If you still have a 4 year old that * might nap, you need to decide if staying closer to the parks is worth the extra money. A deluxe resort will normally be within walking distance to parks ( like BC, YC, BWI to Epcot and HS.) Or a quick monorail ride to MK from Contemporary, GF. Or Polynesian. Deluxe resorts also have nicer pools, pool slides, and hot tubs( so nice in January!) January * normally has light crowds after the first week. Staying on property is a HUGE time saver. We live within 15 minutes, but still stay for a few nights every 2-3 months because it's nicer to be able to wake up and walk into a park quickly rather than having to fight traffic deal with parking etc. Keep in mind the added parking fees no matter where you stay. If you stay at a Disney owned hotel they will charge you to park at the resort, but parking is then * free at the parks. I'm not sure about the disney springs hotels parking fees, but you will have to definitely pay to park at the parks. Good luck planning, I hope you have an amazing trip!

Honestly now is the time to do a last minute trip. Your ADR window is at 60 days. You don't make Genie+ selections or ILL$ until day of.

I would limit my search to values and moderates (because you do have your own vehicle to use.) I would first consider how many sleeping surfaces do you need. Will the kids share? Do you need a pull down 5th sleeper? Is an AOA suite or ASM Family suite needed? Then narrow it by what fits into your budget, then look at if the resort QS offers food the whole family will enjoy because with pool loving kids, you will end up eating a few times at the resort. This should take an overwhelming amount of options down to something manageable.

Check out the swan/dolphin, it’s not a WDW hotel but it’s on property. We rented dvd at the beach club our last trip but I looked into it.

I think January is do-able for a last minute trip. ADR’s might not be plentiful, but if you’re flexible on dining that’s not too big of a deal. I believe you have to do a Disney resort if you want to use a travel agent, but I’m not positive.

As far as lodging, if you want to avoid bus lines, you’ll have your own car so that is an option. If you’d rather park it for the week and take Disney transportation, I would consider a deluxe if the budget allows. It makes the nap situation much easier. Poly and Beach Club both have great pools. January can really go either way on swimming. If your kids are like mine, they’re willing to swim in much cooler temps than I am, lol!

If you will have a car with you I wouldn't worry too much about busses since you can drive to the parks. The exception would be MK as you are really parking at the TTC and then would have to take monorail/boat over to the actual park. Maybe avoid a resort that is huge with internal bus system?

ADRs are available 60 days in advance so I'd book now and if what you want isn't available I'd research a free dining alert program. They let you know when a reservation you want is available. People change their plans and there are openings all the time- ESPECIALLY the day before the ADR! So don't give up hope as your reservation draws near.
Renting DVC points is awesome as you can get Deluxes for a fraction of the price, except they are usually uncancellable/unchangeable. However you are pretty close to your trip that may not matter- unless you are traveling from a wintry place with storms that could impact/delay travel.

Stay at CBR. You can use the skyliner or buses, they have a great pool, they should still have availability for January. They’re also on the lower end of the price range, andsince you’ll have a car you can just drive to AK or HS if you feel like it. You can also walk over to Riviera for meals. Rent a citi mini GT stroller for the four year old.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter