Totally Disgusted!

We had a bad experience with cleanliness and noise at OKW in December, so in August we're staying at the Hilton across from DS for $130/night (and free parking with the code I used). We ended up making several trips to DS from OKW, so we're thrilled to be in spitting distance at such a cheap rate. We've stayed at that Hilton location before so we know what to expect, but the OKW stay was our first there and we'll never consider going back. It was so moldy and the walls were paper thin. Our allergies raged the whole week and the rate was close to $400/night (mid-December). We were very surprised it was a DVC location.

We had a bad experience with cleanliness and noise at OKW in December, so in August we're staying at the Hilton across from DS for $130/night (and free parking with the code I used). We ended up making several trips to DS from OKW, so we're thrilled to be in spitting distance at such a cheap rate. We've stayed at that Hilton location before so we know what to expect, but the OKW stay was our first there and we'll never consider going back. It was so moldy and the walls were paper thin. Our allergies raged the whole week and the rate was close to $400/night (mid-December). We were very surprised it was a DVC location.

I believe OKW is undergoing a renovation but like kidani, OKW is spread out and has beaucoup rooms so it will be a while before all the rooms are taken care of. In the meantime, mold so bad that it makes allergies rage is not only a cleanliness issue, it’s a health issue. DVC rooms undergo renovation at much longer intervals than non-Disney rooms but ignoring/postponing needed mold remediation is unethical and unacceptable.

I get that Florida is humid, heck I have lived the last 55 years of my life in steamy south Louisiana. Shame on you Disney.

My very worst DVC experience was at Kidani. We moved over from BWV, for just two nights. We had booked a one bedroom for two couples. This was supposed to be a treat for the other couple who had always wanted to stay at AK, either at JH or Kidani. We got to Kidani about 10am, didn't expect to get into a room then. We kept checking texts throughout the day, nothing. We returned to the resort around 3:00, hoping for good news. Nope. Nothing. At 4:15, I checked at the front desk again....nope. But about 10 mins later, I got a text saying the room was ready. Okay, I gather everyone up and we head to the room. When we get there, there is a thingie in the room key slot, saying the room is being serviced. Fine, we walk in anyway. What do we see? The housekeeper sitting on the sofa, feet up, broom beside her, watching tv!!! Seriously??? She hopped up, thanked us for knocking, saying that she was killing time until the end of her shift!! She scurried away. But, I then find a dirty, used coffee cup sitting on the floor at the end of the sofa, dirty tissues on the master bedroom floor, and a toilet that didn't flush. Terrific. I stopped at the front desk on the way out to dinner, and explained what had happened. The CM looked at me, and said 'Thanks for letting us know. Is there anything else I can do for you tonight?' Didn't seem to be much bothered by my experience. So, an email went out. The CM who called me about it was very apologetic, but nothing was really ever done.
Or the time my friend left her camera charger in a drawer at Kidani. Realized it about 4 hrs after we left the resort (stayed there one night prior to checking in at BWV). Bell Services at BW said they would call over and see what they could do for us. However, their call was never returned. We personally went back to Kidani, the next morning, and talked to the front desk. The CM listened to me, but picked up the phone to speak to someone else (nothing to do with our issue). She kept putting the phone down to tell us that if the charger was found it would be mailed to my friend's home address. No, she needed it now! We gave them the room number, the time we had checked out, and where the charger had been left. Again, the reply was 'it will be mailed to her home if it's found.' And again, I told her that was not acceptable! She said to the person on the phone "I have to go, looks like I"ll be late for break. A guest is insisting I find something'. Dear God...did she really say that, with me standing right there??? We took seats and waited. About 20 mins later a CM came rolling out on a Segway thingie, charger in a bag in hand, big smile on her face. Seems she was the housekeeping manager. She knew exactly what we were looking for...it had the time and date it was found in the room, with the room number listed!!!! Didn't seem too difficult to me. That first CM only had to call housekeeping to begin with and we would have been on our way!!!
I love AKL and Kidani, but based on the service I've had, I'm always hesitant to stay there nowl

My very worst DVC experience was at Kidani. We moved over from BWV, for just two nights. We had booked a one bedroom for two couples. This was supposed to be a treat for the other couple who had always wanted to stay at AK, either at JH or Kidani. We got to Kidani about 10am, didn't expect to get into a room then. We kept checking texts throughout the day, nothing. We returned to the resort around 3:00, hoping for good news. Nope. Nothing. At 4:15, I checked at the front desk again....nope. But about 10 mins later, I got a text saying the room was ready. Okay, I gather everyone up and we head to the room. When we get there, there is a thingie in the room key slot, saying the room is being serviced. Fine, we walk in anyway. What do we see? The housekeeper sitting on the sofa, feet up, broom beside her, watching tv!!! Seriously??? She hopped up, thanked us for knocking, saying that she was killing time until the end of her shift!! She scurried away. But, I then find a dirty, used coffee cup sitting on the floor at the end of the sofa, dirty tissues on the master bedroom floor, and a toilet that didn't flush. Terrific. I stopped at the front desk on the way out to dinner, and explained what had happened. The CM looked at me, and said 'Thanks for letting us know. Is there anything else I can do for you tonight?' Didn't seem to be much bothered by my experience. So, an email went out. The CM who called me about it was very apologetic, but nothing was really ever done.
Or the time my friend left her camera charger in a drawer at Kidani. Realized it about 4 hrs after we left the resort (stayed there one night prior to checking in at BWV). Bell Services at BW said they would call over and see what they could do for us. However, their call was never returned. We personally went back to Kidani, the next morning, and talked to the front desk. The CM listened to me, but picked up the phone to speak to someone else (nothing to do with our issue). She kept putting the phone down to tell us that if the charger was found it would be mailed to my friend's home address. No, she needed it now! We gave them the room number, the time we had checked out, and where the charger had been left. Again, the reply was 'it will be mailed to her home if it's found.' And again, I told her that was not acceptable! She said to the person on the phone "I have to go, looks like I"ll be late for break. A guest is insisting I find something'. Dear God...did she really say that, with me standing right there??? We took seats and waited. About 20 mins later a CM came rolling out on a Segway thingie, charger in a bag in hand, big smile on her face. Seems she was the housekeeping manager. She knew exactly what we were looking for...it had the time and date it was found in the room, with the room number listed!!!! Didn't seem too difficult to me. That first CM only had to call housekeeping to begin with and we would have been on our way!!!
I love AKL and Kidani, but based on the service I've had, I'm always hesitant to stay there nowl

OMG. Unfortunately, I am not surprised. Nice that the HK mgr had it earmarked for you etc, but the attitude of that kidani front desk CM could not have been more unprofessional. With this type of treatment, especially in front of your guests, who would wonder why guests become irate. I bet the welcome home mantra struck a lovely chord with you that trip.

it's the mold on their shower curtain... and I also posted a list of the other things they found filthy in their room!!! And there's something electrical going on because they will turn their lights on and the lights are shutting back off randomly!!! The second post is the rest of the stuff they found.... food on a tray in the oven.... dishwasher leaking heavily...etc. etc.

Be prepared to be be told by some DISers that they have stayed MILLIONS of times and the rooms are so perfect, they morph into maids that fly home and clean your house. Mold - NEVER (not even in a hotel in Florida). Mildew - you must have brought it with you! Unwashed dishes - did you sneak in early and use them? Are you sure? Missing or broken light bulbs - thief! DVC and Disney are practically (always) perfect in every way. I haven't read more than the first few posts so I have no idea - perhaps everyone was kind and sympathetic. We'll see.

BEST POST AWARD!!!!!!!!:love:

Agreed! SO sick of the snobbery...I have never deigned to stay in a room less than <$250.00 a night. My god, my maid (not kidding anyone; there isn't one), wouldn't stay in a room less than $500/night! I live in the pricey Northeast and have traveled in the last few years from CA to Italy - with Block Island, NYC, Newport, Charleston, Savannah and D.C. in the mix - with the exception of BI, we were able to secure fantastic to good accommodations for less than $200/night. Could I spend more - of course - years ago, I had a friend whose mother refused to shop in department stores - she would go out of her way to pay more for the exact same brand at a high end store. No extra service. She liked the bags....

Imagine that. This day and age you can stay in Manhatten cheaper than Chattanooga, Nashville or Knoxville. I think it has to be a supply/demand issue. We have a significant supply problem around here. They can't build rooms fast enough
Imagine that. This day and age you can stay in Manhatten cheaper than Chattanooga, Nashville or Knoxville. I think it has to be a supply/demand issue. We have a significant supply problem around here. They can't build rooms fast enough

Yikes - you must try a bit harder - ran a Google this instant. "Nashville Hotels"

THE 10 BEST Hotels in Nashville, TN for 2018 (from $69) - TripAdvisor
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g55229-Nashville_Davidson_County_Tennessee-Ho...
The #1 Best Value of 211 places to stay in Nashville. Free Wifi. Pool. Hotel website. Hilton Garden InnNashville/Vanderbilt. Show Prices. #2 Best Value of 211 ...

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g55229-Nashville_Davidson_County_Tennessee-Hotels.html

Be prepared to be be told by some DISers that they have stayed MILLIONS of times and the rooms are so perfect, they morph into maids that fly home and clean your house. Mold - NEVER (not even in a hotel in Florida). Mildew - you must have brought it with you! Unwashed dishes - did you sneak in early and use them? Are you sure? Missing or broken light bulbs - thief! DVC and Disney are practically (always) perfect in every way. I haven't read more than the first few posts so I have no idea - perhaps everyone was kind and sympathetic. We'll see.

One wonders when you've seen that. Most people who have been to FL are aware that mold and mildew do, in fact, happen in the tropics, and therefore are not utterly dismayed by it. They expect that it needs to be dealt with (as I expected), but it's not astonishing to find it.

And etc etc. I'm not totally following your last two posts, can't tell where the dis-illegal sarcasm might be showing up or where you're being real, so I don't actually feel comfy addressing the other aspects.

One can be kind and empathetic while ALSO trying to temper a person's expectations and let them know maybe certain things they feel are issues are not something that others would feel are issues. The latter doesn't mean the former isn't happening.

One wonders when you've seen that. Most people who have been to FL are aware that mold and mildew do, in fact, happen in the tropics, and therefore are not utterly dismayed by it. They expect that it needs to be dealt with (as I expected), but it's not astonishing to find it.

And etc etc. I'm not totally following your last two posts, can't tell where the dis-illegal sarcasm might be showing up or where you're being real, so I don't actually feel comfy addressing the other aspects.

One can be kind and empathetic while ALSO trying to temper a person's expectations and let them know maybe certain things they feel are issues are not something that others would feel are issues. The latter doesn't mean the former isn't happening.

It's very common here for a group of people to discount anyone's negative experience. Most common are:
1. I've done XYZ many times and IT'S NEVER HAPPENED TO ME implying it must not have happened to the OP
2. Disney is a "business" so whatever they do is okay (unless and until, whatever it is bothers that DISer - then it is unacceptable)
3. A complete acceptance for bad standards when it is Disney related
4. Disputing a ridiculous non-material part of a post

I do not expect mold and mildew in a room that rents for $700 - $1,000 a night. Have I seen it at OKW? Yes, many times over the years. We've also had dirty dishes, dirty linens, broken lights, broken TV, back-up toilet, wasp nests and a used condom in a villa. SOme of these are one offs - I don't expect housekeeping to check every TV after every guest. I do expect the room to be cleaned - especially the bathrooms.

Sorry if I am repeating, but I have to think some of the issues are caused by unrealistic goals/quotas/timelines management has set for their housekeepers. If a housekeeper is supposed to turnover X number of rooms during their shift, perhaps they need to drop that number by a few and staff a few more housekeepers so each room can get adequate attention. We were unimpressed by housekeeping on our last two stays at POR - crumbs under the table that were never vacuumed, a gold star sticker that was in the main walkway when entering the room that remained the whole time, lights that didn't work, toiletries and coffee never replaced. I suspect housekeepers are making beds, changing towels and running to the next room to stay on track.

It's very common here for a group of people to discount anyone's negative experience. Most common are:
1. I've done XYZ many times and IT'S NEVER HAPPENED TO ME implying it must not have happened to the OP
2. Disney is a "business" so whatever they do is okay (unless and until, whatever it is bothers that DISer - then it is unacceptable)
3. A complete acceptance for bad standards when it is Disney related
4. Disputing a ridiculous non-material part of a post

I do not expect mold and mildew in a room that rents for $700 - $1,000 a night. Have I seen it at OKW? Yes, many times over the years. We've also had dirty dishes, dirty linens, broken lights, broken TV, back-up toilet, wasp nests and a used condom in a villa. SOme of these are one offs - I don't expect housekeeping to check every TV after every guest. I do expect the room to be cleaned - especially the bathrooms.

I am one of those posters saying it has never happened to me but I am not discounting it either. Things can and will happen. I have never had anything worse than a garbage can not being emptied or a lightbulb needing to be changed while at Disney. If I did as I have with other places I have said I would report it immediately. Likewise I would not stay somewhere that seems to be plauged by problems if I am aware of them. Food left in the oven etc. I would ask to be moved.

Likewise agree management is responsible for many issues. Too many rooms per housekeeper=stress=increased turnover of housekeepers. And I can just imagine how much the security checks even for guests who skip HK in favor of a gift card impacts the equation. Wonder if management even includes the security visits for guests skipping HK in the count of rooms assigned to each housekeeper. Doubt it.​

Haven't read through so I'll apologize in advance for ... anything I say.

Disney DVC is expensive and what was listed on the first few posts is completely unacceptable. Housekeeping is fully responsible for changing any moldy shower curtains (they cost them pennies), clearing out AND cleaning microwave between guests, making sure dishes are clean and accounted for and making sure there are no foreign substances stuck to sofa or other furniture. I'll let them off on electrical / hot water and maybe leaking dishwasher (although I thought they were to run it while they cleaned with dirty dishes left) as those thing would be reported by guests to maintenance. The missed things are very basic items that no guest should show up to.

On top of that, I know at other timeshares that a supervisor goes in behind the housekeeper to make sure nothing was missed and timeshare owner shows up to a issue-free unit. If Disney isn't doing this, that is a fail.

We all know Disney has a MAJOR housekeeper shortage. Their sign on bonuses went from $500 and jumped then jumped much higher after the Security Checks and Dog Rooms were added. Currently their sign on bonus is $1250 - even for part timers. They are desperate. Disney's package might not be comparable to other hotels in the area and with the increasing number of hotels opening it would be no surprise to see housekeepers leave and go to better positions.* Disney is offering no HK for money, trying to reduce the number of rooms cleaned, although what they pay is likely way more than they would pay a housekeeper ... if they had them. Then they use what seems like supervisors to do the "security checks".

They have a problem and not sure how they think it will get better with the additions at CSR, Riviera and the potential of another resort at FW. While some folks will have no issue due to the diligence of their housekeeper .... because Disney is at a low point here they will be hiring many who won't care, and due to the shortage they will keep their jobs, and some guests will be quite disappointed. I only see this becoming more common as the Orlando lodging industry expands, offering better jobs.

* I haven't dug lately but last time I researched .... as a comparison. Universal hotels paid a small amount more than Disney and they were offering free lunches, opportunity for education money, cleaning rooms with all interior hallways...with FL weather that is a perk. While benefits may have changed at both ... not long ago the benefits that the Universal hotels offered were much better than Disney in addition to a higher rate.

We all know Disney has a MAJOR housekeeper shortage. Their sign on bonuses went from $500 and jumped then jumped much higher after the Security Checks and Dog Rooms were added. Currently their sign on bonus is $1250 - even for part timers. They are desperate. Disney's package might not be comparable to other hotels in the area and with the increasing number of hotels opening it would be no surprise to see housekeepers leave and go to better positions.* Disney is offering no HK for money, trying to reduce the number of rooms cleaned, although what they pay is likely way more than they would pay a housekeeper ... if they had them. Then they use what seems like supervisors to do the "security checks".

They have a problem and not sure how they think it will get better with the additions at CSR, Riviera and the potential of another resort at FW. While some folks will have no issue due to the diligence of their housekeeper .... because Disney is at a low point here they will be hiring many who won't care, and due to the shortage they will keep their jobs, and some guests will be quite disappointed. I only see this becoming more common as the Orlando lodging industry expands, offering better jobs.

* I haven't dug lately but last time I researched .... as a comparison. Universal hotels paid a small amount more than Disney and they were offering free lunches, opportunity for education money, cleaning rooms with all interior hallways...with FL weather that is a perk. While benefits may have changed at both ... not long ago the benefits that the Universal hotels offered were much better than Disney in addition to a higher rate.

Out of curiosity, do you know whether Disney and/or Universal housekeepers are unionized? I know many tourist areas have unions for these workers, so curious if that has any impact.

Out of curiosity, do you know whether Disney and/or Universal housekeepers are unionized? I know many tourist areas have unions for these workers, so curious if that has any impact.

Disney, yes. I was last following them when they were very upset about the policy of cash in lieu of housekeeping. They are currently in contract negotiations. There are several unions who work with Disney for different job categories.

Universal is tricky especially since hotels are not Universal hotels. I've seen references to working towards a possible union in the last decade but never seen anything about it happening. It sounds like every few years they try, but then it just dies. It may have finally happened, I just don't see it anywhere.

Last edited:

I am perplexed by this comment - I drive through TN yearly - and stay in all three of these towns pretty frequently - and there are plenty of options under 200. We usually get a suite for under 150. And this is not serious bargain-hunting - just looking on Booking dot com or whathaveyou.

I am perplexed by this comment - I drive through TN yearly - and stay in all three of these towns pretty frequently - and there are plenty of options under 200. We usually get a suite for under 150. And this is not serious bargain-hunting - just looking on Booking dot com or whathaveyou.
Well good for you.
It's not perplexing at all. Obviously, it depends on what day you go. Try going to Knoxville on game day. Or Nashville during a CMA event or a Titans game day, or even Vandy game, when they are winning. Or here in Chattanooga during an Ironman Event or Riverbend. Or a National Softball tournament. Or a National Cheer tournament. When every room in town is booked. Much like going to Disney, sometimes you don't get to pick the day you can go and go on the cheapest day, you have to go on the day you have to go on.

Well good for you.
It's not perplexing at all. Obviously, it depends on what day you go. Try going to Knoxville on game day. Or Nashville during a CMA event or a Titans game day, or even Vandy game, when they are winning. Or here in Chattanooga during an Ironman Event or Riverbend. Or a National Softball tournament. Or a National Cheer tournament. When every room in town is booked. Much like going to Disney, sometimes you don't get to pick the day you can go and go on the cheapest day, you have to go on the day you have to go on.

Ok so there are a handful of days where the hotel rooms are scarce. That still doesn't make it the norm, so much that one would think that $250 rack rate for a motel seems like a value.

this is Kidani... I've stayed at Jambo a couple of times and never had an issue...I've stayed at OKW a couple of times, Boardwalk a number of times and Bay Lake a few times and had just slight issue once at Boardwalk but it was remedied right away... The problem has been over and over with Kidani
I stay in Feb in Jambo for first time I hope not to have any problems. I have been at OKW and love it there. Also doing treehouse villas and only heard positive there.

I would have asked to be moved and points back.
We be not had that experience at Kidani in our multiple visits ( but I still enjoy Jambo more, lol)
Hope the rest of the visit is Cleaner and pixie Dusted!
Why do you enjoy Jambo more? Just curious since I have never stayed at AKL but did book a Jambo versus Kidani only to get the value room

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter