• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tortola and St. Thomas Excursions with Toddler

morganms22

Mouseketeer
We are traveling with a family group of 8 and one toddler who will be 15 months on the Fantasy next Thanksgiving. I’ve cruised several times before (not with Disney) and gone on excursions…but never with a toddler. Who has done it before? Any recommendations on excursions we can all experience together? Other kid ages are 5, 5, and 9.

Last edited:
We took this cruise last year when my DD had just turned 2. We were really concerned about the truck bus taxis (look for a picture online if you aren’t aware of them) safety for her (and actually us too). These truck buses were used even for DCL excursions not real buses. We decided to rent a car in both ports.
In Tortola there is a national car rental based at a hotel that is in easy walking distance, even with a stroller and car seat. We were going to go to one of the public beaches
Long Bay beach, but found it dirtier and louder than we liked. We ended up getting a day room at the Wyndham lambert beach resort. I had looked for something similar online before going and couldn’t find it but we just stopped by and had no problem getting a room. It came with a regular room near the beach. The shower was wonderful for a sandy 2 year old and we even attempted a nap. There is a beach which was empty, literally like 2 other people there. There were basic cabanas and beach chairs with little sunshades on them which were included. There was also a pool. The restaurant food was decent but very convenient and reasonably price.
In St. Thomas the major car rental companies at the port weren’t open. We ended up renting a Jeep from a place across the street from the terminal, rent a motion. The jeep was very worn but it worked fine for the day. We went to mountain top lookout then drove around to some other lookouts. A more specific itinerary would probably be better for your group but I do recommend having your own transport for safety with a little one.

We are traveling with a family group of 8 and one toddler who will be 15 months on the Fantasy next Thanksgiving. I’ve cruised several times before (not with Disney) and gone on excursions…but never with a toddler. Who has done it before? Any recommendations on excursions we can all experience together? Other kid ages are 5, 5, and 9.
We just got back from that itinerary - but the youngest member of our party was 8. When he was 4, we did an 8-night on the Fantasy, and actually by the time we got to St. Thomas, I was glad we hadn't scheduled anything.

All that being said - as much as I'm not a fan of Disney excursions, they set the ages pretty well, so if it says you can bring a 2 year old, it's probably fine and I would consider those.

I would never drive in St. Thomas because of the whole wrong side of the road issue. I might suggest a visit to Coral World. There's plenty of beautiful beaches but not sure if that's what you're looking for?

Can't suggest anything for Tortola - we did snorkeling with Aristocat but that wouldn't be good for the under-8 crowd.

I would never drive in St. Thomas because of the whole wrong side of the road issue. I might suggest a visit to Coral World. There's plenty of beautiful beaches but not sure if that's what you're looking for?
They drive on the left in Tortola as well.

A few years ago we did one of those "best of St. Thomas" excursions on a truck/bus like described above. There was one toddler and a few younger elementary aged kids. The toddler screamed the entire time - for several hours. I get it, she was probably off her schedule, it was hot, she was crowded in a bus with a bunch of strangers and the road was rough. But she pretty much ruined the excursion for everyone. At each stop folks would try to get back on as far from her as possible. Mom and Dad just kept handing her back and forth and apologizing.

Hire a private driver if you need to sightsee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter