• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Toronto area to Florida

hswillia07

DIS Veteran
Hi guys! It's been about 7 years (!!) since we did the drive to Disney and I'm looking for advice on the preferred route - I75 vs I95. We traditionally have gone I95, but I75 seems to be slightly shorter. Will also want to stop at about the 13 hour mark at a safe place overnight. Any and all opinions welcome! Thanks so much!

I've driven both routes more than once and really don't have a preference.
I usually will drive down one way and come back the other just for a bit of variety.
I-75 is a less mountainous road and that can be a factor in winter driving.
Distance wise the Kentucky/Tennessee is pretty much the halfway point and depending on border crossing time and road traffic, I have pulled off for the night just in Jelico and other times made it as far south as Athens

We go Buffalo - Erie - Pittsburgh - Charlotte - Savannah - Orlando.

Just watch your speed on the cutoff #19 highway, as there are speed traps there.

We don't drive as long as you do, but we've stopped in Beckley, Bluefield and even Charlotte when we're feeling like pushing onward. Rock Hill is also a good stopping area. We also stop in Savannah on the way down, making it a 2.5 day drive down, but we do 2 longer days on the way home.

We drive from kitchener down i75 and last time we really stretched it by driving to Macon GA just south of Atlanta. That is about 15 hours from kitchener but a nice short drive into orlando the next day. We enjoy the drive and always an exit near by theatre will have gas,food etc.

Going down I did the route @FigmentSpark mentioned (see my WDW/Universal trip recap). Getting to Charlotte was a little rough as there were some steep downhill portions on the Interstate past the 19 speed trap and it was late. This route is pretty and scenic though.

I75 you should be able to make Knoxville although i75 S in metro Detroit is currently closed off and you have to detour west to the airport and then south. Lexington to Knoxville is a bit windy. It was downhill and foggy when we came back up to Toronto that way, but should be fine going down to Florida.

If I were to do this again, I’d probably do I75 both ways.

We just got back last night....

We take I95 in the summer because it's an hour shorter drive.
We take I75 in the winter because I don't want to drive through the mountains when it's slippery.

You can still cross in Windsor, but you’d go 94-275-75 as a detour.

Another option is 402 to Sarnia/port Huron and go 94-696-275-75.

I am just east of Toronto (Bowmanville) and doing the drive September 19-29..we are taking the 79/US19/77/26/95 route.. if it was winter I might consider 75.. I use to go to Charlotte twice a year so I am very familiar with a big chunk of this route.. we are doing the drive straight through on the way down.. but if you take the 79/77 route 13 hours should put you right around Charlotte .. maybe a little south or a little north depending on the traffic etc.. north of Charlotte right off the highway Mooresville.. Huntersville are good stops with lots of options hotel/food wise.. not sure where your traveling but there is a NASCAR race in Charlotte the last weekend of September which will increase hotel room rates anywhere 1-2 hrs from the track

Not sure where you're seeing I-75 come up shorter.

https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Toro...5134fcde315b!2m2!1d-81.579479!2d28.405641!3e0

Looks like the longest distance route vs. going through Pittsburgh or heading over to 95. About the same time-wise as 95. If you're doing it in the winter, it'd be less windy and mountainous than going through West Virginia, and less snowy than going through Buffalo. The big downside of I-75 though is going through Detroit (construction), Cincinnati (construction), and particularly Atlanta (traffic). It's the flatter, straighter route, but what Atlanta traffic you end up with will make or break how pleasant your trip is.

We do this drive from Toronto on average twice a year. In fact, we just got back Sunday night! The 79/US19/77/26/95 route has always worked for us, though of course in the winter we give ourselves time to change plans/routes as dictated by weather forecasts. Here is our usual itinerary:

Heading south Day 1
- leave Toronto at 4:30am
- arrive at the Charlotte/Northlake Drury Inn between 6 and 6:30pm (great hotel and decent buffet dinner included with your stay if you arrive before 7pm!)

Heading south Day 2
- breakfast at hotel and back on the road by 7:45am
- arrive Orlando area around 5pm

Heading north Day 1
- leave Orlando 6am
- arrive at hotel in Beckley, WV around dinner

Heading north Day 2
- depart hotel 7:45am
- arrive home around dinner

Thanks so much everyone! @Bowen Family your plan is EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing, so super helpful to see that it has worked for you! Thanks again :)

Thanks so much everyone! @Bowen Family your plan is EXACTLY what I was thinking of doing, so super helpful to see that it has worked for you! Thanks again :)

Great! Glad to help. Some other tips:

Pack a cooler for lunches on the road both travel days. Gives you the flexibility to eat at either rest stops/welcome centres or when stopping to fuel up, so a big time and money saver. We like the Sheetz gas stations since they have picnic tables so a super quick stop for gas and to eat. The WV welcome centre also makes a nice lunch stop Day 1 but it’s currently closed due to road work.

Remember at gas stations when asked for your zip code to enter the 3 digits of your postal code followed by 00.

The FLA welcome centre is a must stop for our family! You should pass it Day 2 after about 1pm so it can also work as a lunch stop.

Thanks so much! My kids actually have many food allergies, so we have to pack our food - it's nice to know that there are a few good places to stop and eat!

Oh - I don't remember this zip code business at all...it really has been a long time I guess. Thanks for the tip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter