• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Torn between two cruises- help!

myadventurebook

Mouseketeer
Hi all! Would love some advice as first time cruisers. DH and I are torn between two cruises scheduled for this winter. The first is a four night Merrytime cruise on the Wish, and the other is a five night Marvel Day at Sea cruise on the Dream. The Wish Merrytime cruise is the week of our wedding anniversary, and we love the Christmas vibe we would get to experience. However, the Dream seems like a better ship for us (we like the shows better from what we've seen, as well as some of the little things that seem to have changed with the Wish that seem like a downgrade- we have heard Senses is better on the Dream as one example). All that being said, we are also a little concerned about a five night itinerary as first time cruisers. It seems a little long for us maybe? We are local to Orlando, so Port Canaveral would also be a closer drive vs. FL. Price-wise, the four night Wish itinerary is almost $1k more than the five day Dream itinerary, so that's also throwing us off. We are very torn and would love some advice from experienced cruisers on what we should do for our first sailing!

Bottom line:
- The Wish itinerary is a preferable length and closer to home, and we like the theme better. However, it's almost 25% more in cost and we aren't sure how we feel about the Wish having heard some mixed reviews.
- The Dream is our preferred ship, and the cruise we are looking at is cheaper, but it is farther from home, a longer itinerary, and a theme we are ambivalent about (Marvel).

(Also, as a disclaimer, DH and I work in the events industry so we are very limited on when we can cruise due to our schedules being very heavy on weekends when most cruises take place, so these two cruises are pretty much it in terms of availability for us.)

What would you choose?

You say you're worried that five nights will be too long, but the other cruise is only one night less. That's not really a huge difference. Either you'll like cruising or you won't, and one night isn't going to make or break that. I usually go for the longer itineraries (7-nights are great IMO), and the bonus is that one is cheaper.

I would say pick the itinerary, not the ship. Which cruise has ports of call that you like better? Departing from PC or FLL isn't that big of a difference-yes you'll have a bit of a drive to FLL but with a bit of pre-planning it wouldn't be too bad. Don't worry too much about the theme-if you do the Marvel cruise it's not like it's in your face all the time. You'll still have a wonderful cruise and can pick and choose activities that fit 'your' theme.

Since it's your first cruise, you might consider the cheaper option, just from a sunk cost perspective. If for some reason you hate cruising, you're out 25% less money.

Yes, some people don't like the Wish, but some people do. Many people who don't are people who have sailed on other DCL ships and don't like that the Wish is so different. Since you've never sailed on the other DCL ships that might not be an issue for you.

We live about half an hour from Port Canaveral, and we have done several cruises out of Miami, and are planning one next year out of Port Everglades. We have not yet sailed on the Wish, but, like you, are disturbed by some of things we've read: two elevator banks vs three on the other ships, no real Promenade, crowding, and especially much higher per night prices. I think you'd have a wonderful time on the five-night Dream. The extra day is just more opportunity to relax and/or enjoy the wonderful activities onboard and ashore.

Go with the Marvel Day at Sea on the Dream. 1) It is less expensive--if you like DCL book a placeholder while onboard and use that discount on the Wish. 2) If you aren't into the marvel theme, other activities onboard will be less crowded while the rest of the passengers are doing their character meet and greets (The night time deck show is a must do, though.)

I wouldn't worry too much about the Marvel Day at Sea thinking that it will dominate your cruise. I accidentally booked a Star Wars at Sea cruise because it fit my schedule. While I enjoy watching some of the Star Wars spin-off series on Disney+ I am by no stretch of the imagination a Star Wars fan. So I thought I'd made a huge mistake. However, it's generally only one day that is heavily Star Wars/Marvel with characters and music and party, etc. We spent most of it in the Cove Cafe just people watching. Some people go all out with costumes (it was hilarious just to watch the person dressed as BB8 try to go through a doorway) so it was fun to see that without having to participate actively. We didn't bother going to the night time party - we just spent it at the outside deck in the Meridian lounge with a glass of champagne. We could hear the music but we were well out of the action and just had a nice time listening and chatting. It actually turned out to be one of our better cruises (not that we've had a bad one). Very relaxing, no pressure to join in on anything, lots of leisure time, did some short port tours, and just generally chilled.

Thank you all SOO much for all of your very detailed responses! We will be doing the five night Dream sailing as you all suggested. I should have mentioned that DH and I were supposed to go on a Dream cruise in January 2020 but had to cancel for financial reasons, so the Dream has always been our #1 choice of ship (our actual "dream" cruise if you will) due to having to sadly miss out on it back then. You definitely all confirmed my initial gut feelings about this choice! Thanks again for all of your advice- I will probably be back here asking more questions as we get closer to the cruise and it's awesome to know there are so many experienced cruise experts to help newbies like me! ❤️❤️

The Dream is a great ship. I recommend you sail on her instead of the Wish. For a short 4 or 5 night Bahamian/Caribbean cruise, which ship you're on trumps the itinerary imo. The Marvel theming on a Marvel cruise isn't overwhelming, btw. There's basically one Marvel-themed day, and even that won't be in your face everywhere. You'll see the regular characters the rest of the time.

5 nights definitely isn't too long for a first cruise. You'll be surprised by how quickly the time will fly by. Paying almost $1,000 more for a shorter Wish cruise is not a good idea. Newer does not equal better.

Last edited:
I have 0 interest in Marvel, actually dislike everything about it. With that said, I would do 5 nights on the Dream over 4 on the Wish any day. As 2 adults, we love the Dream (and Fantasy) and did not exactly love the Wish. ;) And extra day is definitely a plus, to me, and less money just seals the deal. While I wouldn't love the Marvel part of it, I feel I could avoid it for the most part.

Consider taking Brightline from the MCO station. We have enjoyed riding with them between Ft L and Miami. Sit back and let someone else do the “driving.”

I personally don’t think the Merrytime cruises are very Christmas-y

The main hall has a gold tree which wasn’t very holiday like imo and some decoration but didn’t have anything else around the ship.

I do hear they are adding new things this year though.

I would be torn too as I love Merrytime and ambivalent about Marvel. That being said I love the Fantasy and Dream is sister ship and hear so many mixed reviews on Wish I don’t think I would pay that much more for shorter cruise. I would still choose the Dream. 5 nights won’t be too long, maybe perfect for first timer to really get to know ship without rushing and able to relax and enjoy while time to try most activities.

I personally don’t think the Merrytime cruises are very Christmas-y

The main hall has a gold tree which wasn’t very holiday like imo and some decoration but didn’t have anything else around the ship.

I do hear they are adding new things this year though.
Which ship were you on? Was it the Wish? When I've sailed DCL in the Christmas season, there have been decorations throughout the ship and the atrium is stunning. I haven't sailed the Wish, though.

Consider taking Brightline from the MCO station. We have enjoyed riding with them between Ft L and Miami. Sit back and let someone else do the “driving.”
This is an awesome tip!! Thank you!

Also, just wanted to come back and report that we are officially booked! January 7-12 on the Dream w/Marvel Day at Sea. We debated about our cabin for quite some time but ended up settling on a deck 8 verandah. We are SO excited and I will be consuming cruise content 24/7 for the next few months, haha!

I have 0 interest in Marvel, actually dislike everything about it. With that said, I would do 5 nights on the Dream over 4 on the Wish any day. As 2 adults, we love the Dream (and Fantasy) and did not exactly love the Wish. ;) And extra day is definitely a plus, to me, and less money just seals the deal. While I wouldn't love the Marvel part of it, I feel I could avoid it for the most part.
This is such a great perspective! I don't hate Marvel by any means, and my husband is a Marvel fan so I know all of the characters and have seen most of the movies/shows through him. I absolutely love Loki and WandaVision but I'm pretty uninterested when it comes to any other characters/movies/shows. I am just a Christmas girl through and through so it's killing me that we won't get to do Merrytime, haha! But it's awesome to know that someone who dislikes Marvel would still pick this cruise over the 4 night Wish sailing. That definitely makes me super confident in our choice!

I should also note, on the subject of liking/disliking Marvel, my husband and I went to DLR last year for the first time and I absolutely fell in love with Avengers Campus. It really felt like a nice pay off for having watched so many Marvel movies/shows in the past ten years since I was able to understand the majority of the references and really enjoy the land because of that. I also thought it was really immersive and as a lover of meet and greets it was the biggest treat because there were just SO. MANY. CHARACTERS. Just wanted to throw that in there as someone who isn't much of a Marvel lover! Hopefully I have the same experience with Marvel Day at Sea 🙏

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter