Torn between and early and late flight heading home from WDW

DVC resorts have free washing machines and dryers, and now you don't have to sit and wait because you can monitor your machines with an app.

That's great! Do you have to have a DVC membership card to get into the free laundry? I'm renting so not an actual member. Thanks!

I'd take the early flight in your scenario--the joy of the vacation is lost immediately if I have to go to work the next day on a few hours sleep and a pile of laundry at home.

My preference though is to have a late afternoon flight returning on Saturday (or take Monday off work), sleep a little late, have a late character breakfast, and maybe rent a boat or do some last-minute shopping before catching ME.

My preference though is to have a late afternoon flight returning on Saturday (or take Monday off work), sleep a little late, have a late character breakfast, and maybe rent a boat or do some last-minute shopping before catching ME.

That's definitely our wish too. By the time we decided to fly (we usually drive) only super early and super late were left. Next trip I really hope for an afternoon flight.

We are DVC but have only rented 2 BR due to having 4 kids and usually my mom but the washer and drier are in your suite. We do laundry all week and always go home with clean clothes.

As for flights home, we tend to take late flights. I usually get the little ones to sleep most of the way to MA. The last two trips I took were October with just my husband and we flew out at 7:50, he went to work on Monday. In December just my 18 yr old dd and I, we flew out at 6:50 and she went to school on Monday. She and I are going back in early March and our flight home is 9:40!! Luckily the next day is Saturday because we won't roll in til after 1 in the morning.

So, I think it depends on who you're traveling with and whether or not you feel like staying that last day. As you can tell I milk every last second, plus I take taxi's and an Uber back to MCO so I don't rely on Disney transportation.

Last edited:
Late flight. Sleep on the plane. Leave a set of work clothes ready for you at home.

A year down the road you won't remember one groggy day at work but you will remember what you did in the parks.

Note: If your work is flying a plane, driving a bus, or other similar activities then take the early flight.

I'm all for trying to maximize my park time and a late flight home is great for that; but not with having to be right at work early the next morning :crazy2:. Also, what if there are delays with the flight? If it was a short trip (less than five days) then I would lean more towards considering the late flight; but since you will have had a week long trip and have to be back to work the morning after returning home, then the early flight wins my vote. Use that day to decompress, rest, and get things done before starting your work week. Disney World is wonderful, but it's not going anywhere and you can (hopefully) go back one day! :thumbsup2

A year down the road you won't remember one groggy day at work but you will remember what you did in the parks.
I disagree.

OP says they have a nine day trip planned.

For us, it is all a blur after day six.

Actually, Peasandcarrots, have you looked into coming home a day early?

I just took a look at another conversation on a different website and one of the users gave this information:
Well, I think it's the honor system... The DVC laundry rooms that I've used are really "buried" within the DVC areas, so it would be inconvenient for non DVCs to use them, but I would guarantee it happens.

The machines have coin sliders on them, and to activate the washer, you just push it in and pull it out. Works with or without coins. Again, at least the machines I've used.

I'm still sticking with the evening flight. Make day 7 a pool day with the fam and do your laundry while ya'll are swimming. Then you can sleep on the plane en route home, get home, crash for a few hours and go to work in the AM. Your day might be a little dragging, but you'll be happy you got the extra time at WDW in.

I've always believed that, if you're going to spend the money, why not get everything you can out of the vacation.

Drive,I rent a car when ever I go ,you don't have to take the busses either, I was never a fan of getting a stroller in my ear.

Can't at this point - already booked DVC rental.

That doesn't mean you absolutely have to stay there that last night. ;) It is all where you put the highest value, right? If you went home a day early you could take the latest flight AND have a day to do laundry, right?

I mean if the rate was low enough, I'd consider sacrificing a night. On our last split stay vacation, we actually considered the opposite- double booking a night. One hotel had an inconvenient three night minimum, and there's that annoying gap between approx. 11am and 3pm.

I'm not really saying that you should go home a day early, just suggesting how you feel about it he prospect should give you more insight into which of your two options really appeals to you the most.

The more we travel though, the less pressed I am with expectations of what I really expect to happen. The important parts are having time together, laughing a little, and staying healthy.

We try to make the most of however much time we have.

Another in the late flight camp here. The way I look at it you don't get to WDW that often (even once every year or two isn't enough), you spend a fortune on getting/staying there (and in your case you've paid for Sat night), and there's always something fun that can be done with an extra day (regardless of how long your trip is)......so why not make the most of the time available to you at WDW? We always do the later flight. We use that last day to get back to our favorite park or see something we might have missed, and have a nice late lunch/early dinner before we leave.

Yeah, work might suck the next day, but it's still gonna suck if you take the early flight. I'll have plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead, so I'm not letting a rear end dragging day at work keep me from enjoying myself while I'm alive. Someone had a good point....don't opt for the late flight and perform surgery, fly a plane or so some other risky job on no sleep, but otherwise....go for it.

On the laundry front, one of the things my DW loves most about our DVC membership is the ability to do laundry while at the resort, so we go home with no piles of laundry to do upon return. Yes, with a studio you will have to go to the laundry room and bring/buy detergent, but it's pretty convenient.

We take a late morning/early afternoon flight back for a couple different reasons. First, the late flights out of Orlando usually never left on time for us and we end up getting home extremely later than we wanted to. Also, we find it better to sleep in a bit, grab b-fast, pack and just relax until we head to the airport. Since your choice is only early or late, I'd still say take the early. I'd be wayyy too cranky if I had to spend it walking around all day long knowing I was going home and I'd be exhausted for work on Monday.

I find I can't really enjoy a "waiting day" at WDW, knowing I've got a hard deadline to get back to the resort, pick up my stuff, and then head out to the airport. And with some of the horror stories about being stuck on the monorail for a couple of hours, unpredictable traffic in and around the parking lots, etc, I'm just more sanguine with declaring departure day as solely focused on getting out of WDW and back to LZW.

So if there's an early option, I take it.
I agree with this one. I also cant seem to enjoy "waiting" on the day of my flight. I did it a couple times, never again. I much rather have an early flight home. Especially in your situation where you get up really early for work. I'd want clean laundry etc. So i'd definitely get an early flight.

Here's an idea....ever thought about doing your laundry at the resort? Some do laundry while they swim. Then when they get back home all they have to do is unpack the clean clothes.

We also suffered the waiting approach on our last day, but then we found some solutions that work for us.

1. We get a rental car (over ME).
2. Baggage check at the hotel is a nice way to get luggage out of your hands, or we put carry-on in the back of the car.
3. Maybe spend the last day at Universal. Universal is much more compact, so walking to your car is easy.
4. End with a meal. If we are early, we enjoy a leisurely meal, maybe near the airport. If not, we grab something quick at the airport. Just be sure to get food before the dining options close.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter