Topolinos no longer allows more than one entree?

In anyone's experience since the change, have they adjusted entrée portion size at all? I have always ordered the steak with the quiche on the side, and I'd be fine with just the steak (however, I'm really gonna miss that quiche, and would be more than willing to pay extra for it if allowed). However, my mom LOVES their waffle, but the past few visits before the change, the portion size for the waffle, which was ordered as the main entrée, was laughably small. We're going in May and I know I'd be fine, but for $45 a lot of the other entrée options don't seem worth it (all my opinion of course). We may be thinking of cancelling as well.

In anyone's experience since the change, have they adjusted entrée portion size at all? I have always ordered the steak with the quiche on the side, and I'd be fine with just the steak (however, I'm really gonna miss that quiche, and would be more than willing to pay extra for it if allowed). However, my mom LOVES their waffle, but the past few visits before the change, the portion size for the waffle, which was ordered as the main entrée, was laughably small. We're going in May and I know I'd be fine, but for $45 a lot of the other entrée options don't seem worth it (all my opinion of course). We may be thinking of cancelling as well.
This is my problem with the change. I think the steak is the only item that comes close to being worth $45. I just can’t understand how they will get away with people being happy paying $45 for a waffle or fruit plate.

My dad ordered the waffle when I went recently and it was quite small but it did come with a side of your choice (he chose sausage). He also said it was meh and wished he ordered the quiche instead. The $45 is laughable in terms of the avocado toast and the fruit plate IMO.

This is my problem with the change. I think the steak is the only item that comes close to being worth $45. I just can’t understand how they will get away with people being happy paying $45 for a waffle or fruit plate.
I agree. Pardon the pun, but with this change, Topolino's went from the "Topo the list" for restaurants to try for breakfast during our upcoming August visit, to the bottom. Our kids (teens now) aren't excited enough about characters for us to want to pay a premium for a meal with them, unless the food is going to be something truly exceptional and/or generous.

Exactly my thoughts. Even with the steak, the plate is half empty when they set it down. The waffle was 2 small squares last time. I understand the need to crack down on people abusing the system, it was definitely getting ridiculous. I personally find the price hard to justify now. Wish they would have changed the official policy to an entrée and additional side portion, and then just started enforcing that.

Oh well, once again, if we don't like it, we don't have to go.

In MY opinion it will take awhile for word to get around regarding the change and diner experiences on whether they felt the value was still there.

I was thinking the same. Most people aren't on the boards here and have no idea there is any change in how they are enforcing the menu, they just know that all the blogs told them you can order side entrees. Once a couple months go by and word of mouth spreads, I'll be interested to see how demand is impacted. Being a character meal, I don't see it having a problem filling seats, but I can definitely see it not being so difficult to book anymore.

In MY opinion it will take awhile for word to get around regarding the change and diner experiences on whether they felt the value was still there.
And you are absolutely entitled to your opinion and I respect that. Maybe on this board and other hardcore Disney fan sites when "word gets around" they will cancel, but there will be 50 people ready to happily pickup the reservation. Again, the general public never had any clue and for every person who decides not to book because of it, there are even more unknowing guests who will. Value is subjective and for someone who expects a prix fixe character breakfast, that is what they are getting. If people want all you can eat character breakfasts, there are other options. There is way more demand for this restaurant (breakfast) than there is supply and it's not going to noticeably change because a person can't order a second entree. I think we'll have to agree to disagree!

I was thinking the same. Most people aren't on the boards here and have no idea there is any change in how they are enforcing the menu, they just know that all the blogs told them you can order side entrees. Once a couple months go by and word of mouth spreads, I'll be interested to see how demand is impacted. Being a character meal, I don't see it having a problem filling seats, but I can definitely see it not being so difficult to book anymore.
And that would be great if it became easier to book! But they are booked, so it's all the same. Doesn't really matter if there are two people waiting for a reservation or 50, as long as the tables are filled.

I don’t agree this was random pixie dust. Disney has done several breakfasts over the year that operate in the same way. California grill brunch was one, as well as narcoosees brunch. I’d say when people started abusing it, I’d when it had to end.
i imagine the cases of abuse (especially as egregious as the one mentioned in this thread) were pretty few and far between, but the edge cases are being used as the fig leaf to cut food costs (especially given inflation etc).

i imagine the cases of abuse (especially as egregious as the one mentioned in this thread) were pretty few and far between, but the edge cases are being used as the fig leaf to cut food costs (especially given inflation etc).
Totally agree. I also think the edge cases work the other way, too. Guests claiming they read where you can get unlimited entrees included, or this or that..... And then complaining when they don't. Then having it lead to a stricter, clearer policy of one entree.

Or maybe server said they only paid for one (as in each) but then ordered 24 more dishes, and it just sounded like one total. Still insane to expect or even to fulfill. If I were a server and they did that I'd be going straight to my manager and let them sign off on it or talked to guests to tell them that is excessive.
What I do not understand is WHY was this ever allowed in the first place? If this excessive gluttony and "abuse" of the "policy" was the final straw, why did the staff ever even allow it to occur? Surely they could have simply said, "no, sorry, we cannot do that". I mean, now they are saying, "sorry, we can't bring your 2-year old a single egg"...so why did they bring that party an entire buffet, and then blame the customer for abusing the policy? Seems to me like management should have put their foot down and denied their (unreasonable) request instead of changing the practice going forward and denying everyone's (reasonable) requests.

I think this “abuse” story was a weird one off. I have been there 2x in the last calendar year for breakfast and each time they explained clearly that you could order an entree and get a smaller version of a second entree as a side. When we were there with 8 people we got 8 sides (1 for each person)

I order 2 egg whites and bacon - so it would be fair to have a smaller side IMO.

I’m not for the hacks and abuses I have seen at other restaurants— but let’s not make excuses for Disney when they are clearly invested in providing less for the same (or more) money.

but let’s not make excuses for Disney when they are clearly invested in providing less for the same (or more) money.
Excuses are unnecessary, especially when people are still going in droves. Why would Disney offer more for less, when the masses are still willing to pay more for less? It's the impossible conundrum that Disney fans face. Fans can't reconcile with the fact that TOO MANY people love Disney. And if they leave, thousands are right behind them, waiting to take their place. It is what it is.

Excuses are unnecessary, especially when people are still going in droves. Why would Disney offer more for less, when the masses are still willing to pay more for less? It's the impossible conundrum that Disney fans face. Fans can't reconcile with the fact that TOO MANY people love Disney. And if they leave, thousands are right behind them, waiting to take their place. It is what it is.
Yeah, there is only so long they can provide a diminishing product before it has an impact on their overall brand. Especially with universal expanding and an extended economic downturn looming. I would urge them to be long term greedy and not building a reputation for being stingy (like denying a 2 year old food at a $200ish dollar breakfast).

I think Iger is cognizant of this.

They can get away with it in the short term - but it’s a poor long term strategy.

Yeah, there is only so long they can provide a diminishing product before it has an impact on their overall brand. Especially with universal expanding and an extended economic downturn looming. I would urge them to be long term greedy and not building a reputation for being stingy (like denying a 2 year old food at a $200ish dollar breakfast).

I think Iger is cognizant of this.

They can get away with it in the short term - but it’s a poor long term strategy.
I don't see it as "getting away with" anything. It's not personal. Disney will charge as much as the market will bear, like any other business. For Universal, that's a lot less than Disney, hence why the're so much cheaper. But I'm willing to bet that Universal will HAVETO increase their prices as well, once Epic Universe opens. I'm not afraid that Epic will hurt Disney. Competition is great for both companies IMO.

I think that's Disney's new advertising slogan: "It is what it is." ;)

I don't see it as "getting away with" anything. It's not personal. Disney will charge as much as the market will bear, like any other business. For Universal, that's a lot less than Disney, hence why the're so much cheaper. But I'm willing to bet that Universal will HAVETO increase their prices as well, once Epic Universe opens. I'm not afraid that Epic will hurt Disney. Competition is great for both companies IMO.
I’m paying cash for 2 rooms at the Portofino next month for a portion of my vacation when I could use points for same. We’ve never done that before. And we are a group that Disney has been actively courting.

But everyone is entitled to their view obviously. I can only speak for myself. For me it’s death by a thousand cuts (park reservations, diminishing experiences) that is making it hard to convince my husband and family (I’m still decently a fan girl).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter