Topolinos no longer allows more than one entree?

But it is not a change, it is enforcing what the policy has been for decades.

Children under 3 can eat what they want off a buffet, but at set meals the child eats off the adults platter or you pay to order them food.

Perhaps we are seeing the beginning of tightening up all these loose strings and lack of consistency that have been happening. I think we all remember Ms Rude, Disney CFO Christine McCarthy discussing that one way the company will save money is reducing the amount of food they are serving. This one is an easy move, stick to already existing policy. If Disney is asked they share the policy.

A few years ago from planDisney regarding this issue, and you'll see it repeated at most Disney Blog Sites -

"I'm pleased to tell you that children under the age of 3 may eat for free at restaurants that feature an all-you-care-to-enjoy menu like Chef Mickey's and Garden Grill Restaurant. These dining locations serve family-style, meaning that shared platters will be brought to your table. Your little one is most welcome to share in all that yumminess at no charge! At restaurants with a traditional menu that features multiple entrée options, children under the age of 3 may share from an adult's plate at no charge, or order something from the children's menu and be charged for the cost of that entrée."

Well first, that's not official policy - that's the Disney moms panel that is notoriously incorrect. I've yet to see it from a Disney official, but perhaps it's out there if one searches enough.

But regardless, it's still a change from the practice that people have known for years and people should be aware. IMO it's helpful that others on the Disboards share their experiences so there are no surprises. Lots of people budget carefully to make a Disney trip and an extra $40 for their 2 year old to have a pancake could be a really big deal to some.

Topolino's was certainly not the only one who gave under 3's something at a set menu place. At H&V, it was a set item: mac and cheese and fruit. Clearly, someone in management (who knew the official policy, if there was one) made a decision that that was the under 3's meal option. Every child under 3 was offered the same item at every table. It was not a waiter discretion, nor inconsistent.

Not offering things after years of management doing so is a change, IMO.

Well first, that's not official policy - that's the Disney moms panel that is notoriously incorrect. I've yet to see it from a Disney official, but perhaps it's out there if one searches enough.

But regardless, it's still a change from the practice that people have known for years and people should be aware. IMO it's helpful that others on the Disboards share their experiences so there are no surprises. Lots of people budget carefully to make a Disney trip and an extra $40 for their 2 year old to have a pancake could be a really big deal to some.

Topolino's was certainly not the only one who gave under 3's something at a set menu place. At H&V, it was a set item: mac and cheese and fruit. Clearly, someone in management (who knew the official policy, if there was one) made a decision that that was the under 3's meal option. Every child under 3 was offered the same item at every table. It was not a waiter discretion, nor inconsistent.

Not offering things after years of management doing so is a change, IMO.
It is official policy if (1) there is no menu for the child to even order from without paying (2) the Disney website addresses this question over and over.

I agree the Mom's panel had been iffy but a few years ago Disney adopted them as official spokespeople and merged them into their website. For those of us that have been going for decades this was always the policy, always enforced and just in the last decade maybe have they gotten slack about it. I think for Disney they don't need to say "hey we are going to enforce the menu going forward."

I think the official part in writing may be that there is nothing in writing that offers a child under 3 food. In these restaurants that are "prix fixe" they require adults and children 3 and up to pay for their meal. The policy is that under 3 are not required to pay but I've never seen anything that says they will bring them food. There is no menu for them.

There are plenty of us who NEVER got anything for our young children, who fed them off our plate, who ordered them a meal and paid for it if they were a big eater. And it is not a policy change, it is a change in how some restaurants have been handling it recent years. The inconsistency comes from not sticking to the menu offerings and not being consistent from restaurant to restaurant. (non-Disney excluded)

Why did they ever do this to an extreme? It started with a dish of buttered pasta as the offering. Maybe it started to appease upset parents who didn't want to share their food or buy their big eater a meal?? Maybe it started as pixie dust to few and others saw it? Maybe it started because servers were hoping for bigger tips? I don't think we'll know why but we do know that is not how the menus are set up.

I totally agree these boards give invaluable information for planning. But, maybe it's just me, I also think it should be presented in a way to not start outrage. It is not a change in policy, it is a change in what some folks have experienced. This isn't charging for parking when it had been free for 40 years. If this is happening across property, this is nothing more than the menu being what the menu is, and not to expect anything beyond that.

NOTE: If you read any Disney planning sites they mostly say, under 3 shares with a parent or pays. And it is repeated over and over on the official Disney website via the planning panels.

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...nderellas-royal-table-year-classified-301556/

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...al-menu-akershus-dinner-whereas-child-335626/

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/qu...reservations-character-dining-regular-443403/

https://plandisney.disney.go.com/question/pay-year-old-eat-guest-breakfast-397147/

Last edited:
We will have a four year old and 18 month old. Will they split a child plate for the two of them? Or bring an extra plate for us to split? Neither will eat that much. I assume it is OK for the 18 month old to have some of the basket of pastries?

We will have a four year old and 18 month old. Will they split a child plate for the two of them? Or bring an extra plate for us to split? Neither will eat that much. I assume it is OK for the 18 month old to have some of the basket of pastries?
You absolutely can ask for an extra plate and utensils, they even suggest that when sharing. Yes they can have pastries as that also is sharing with others at the table. When my kids were young we often had them split a meal.

def not surprising but it is sad as it was one of the perks we loved there. Being able to share plates at the table and pass them around. Now for the character meal it's def one of the more overpriced ones to me.

As a follow up to my last post, after reviewing the menu again, I have to say nothing on the breakfast menu is worth paying $45 for except maybe the steak. But a bagel? Waffle? Yogurt parfait? Two eggs? It’s ridiculous.

Then you remove the characters as well. Because it would quickly become a Be Our Guest situation where 1 person would order a bendy straw and everyone else would just eat the free pastries and enjoy the entertainment.

I think they need to get rid of the set pricing if they are making this change. Some entrees are worth the price tag but I can’t imagine paying $45 for the avocado toast, a waffle, or fruit plate…
As a follow up to my last post, after reviewing the menu again, I have to say nothing on the breakfast menu is worth paying $45 for except maybe the steak. But a bagel? Waffle? Yogurt parfait? Two eggs? It’s ridiculous.
The price is because it is a character meal. If you don't want to meet characters then go somewhere that is a la carte. If you want to meet characters then the price you pay includes the "fee" to meet those characters in a more enjoyable way than standing in line. Or you can meet those characters at other restaurants that are prix fixe but also include a buffet. But what you pay is not just for the food.

Then you remove the characters as well. Because it would quickly become a Be Our Guest situation where 1 person would order a bendy straw and everyone else would just eat the free pastries and enjoy the entertainment.
ALL OF THIS ^ :thumbsup2

Character Meals = Prix Fixe!

If you want a la carte then go to a restaurant that offers it. The great part about Disney is all dining is optional and there are LOTS of options.

The price is because it is a character meal. If you don't want to meet characters then go somewhere that is a la carte. If you want to meet characters then the price you pay includes the "fee" to meet those characters in a more enjoyable way than standing in line. Or you can meet those characters at other restaurants that are prix fixe but also include a buffet. But what you pay is not just for the food.

ALL OF THIS ^ :thumbsup2

Character Meals = Prix Fixe!

If you want a la carte then go to a restaurant that offers it. The great part about Disney is all dining is optional and there are LOTS of options.
Other character meals are $45 for breakfast and are all you care to eat. So what’s the difference here? Most people won’t be happy paying $45 for a piece of avocado toast when they can go to chef Mickeys or tusker house and get plate after plate of different types of food for the same price and character interactions. I’m pretty sure this new set up won’t last long. They’re either going to have to adjust their menu or do something else.

Couldn’t they do that now if that’s what someone wanted to do? One person orders a meal and everyone else just sits back and meets characters? I doubt ppl are going through the trouble of making the haul to riviera to do something like that.

Other character meals are $45 for breakfast and are all you care to eat. So what’s the difference here? Most people won’t be happy paying $45 for a piece of avocado toast when they can go to chef Mickeys or tusker house and get plate after plate of different types of food for the same price and character interactions. I’m pretty sure this new set up won’t last long. They’re either going to have to adjust their menu or do something else.
The difference is that many find the food to be better here than at other character meals. 🤷🏼‍♀️. I thought my meal at Topolino’s was way better than Chef Mickey’s.

ETA: The buffet at Chef Mickeys is $51. Which is more than Topolino’s

Then most people can go eat at Chef Mickeys and I'll bet Topolino's will still be a hard ADR to get. And there are more options than Avocado Toast ....

Again, all optional. Disney motto is don't like it, don't go, someone is just waiting to take your place.
Couldn’t they do that now if that’s what someone wanted to do? One person orders a meal and everyone else just sits back and meets characters? I doubt ppl are going through the trouble of making the haul to riviera to do something like that.
No they can't. Everyone is required to pay for their meal whether they eat it or not. The restaurant is not losing money like BOG was when they had breakfast.
The difference is that many find the food to be better here than at other character meals. 🤷🏼‍♀️. I thought my meal at Topolino’s was way better than Chef Mickey’s.

ETA: The buffet at Chef Mickeys is $51. Which is more than Topolino’s
AGREED! Topolino food is much better, you don't have to serve yourself AND personally I like the smaller, more upscale, less chaotic atmosphere.

Chef Mickey cost more money for ... Golden Corral.

Last edited:
I can vouch for nothing free for kids 16-12 years ago we paid if our child 3 and under wanted food also always had something he would eat with us in case there was nothing he wanted. Although ONCE we ate at Biergarten did not need reservation back then but said one child 2 adults he fell asleep so the waitress changed it 2 adults… he did wake towards the end up ate a little bit of fruit I told the waitress and she said it was ok and still only charged us for 2 adults. The only time in taking him at least 6 times before he was 4.

The difference is the atmosphere and the food. Chef Mickeys is a serve yourself buffet which I always find chaotic and not relaxing. Someone is always up from the table, kids are running around, people are picking food up with their bare hands from the buffet or sneezing all over, etc. And they are going for high volume/lower quality food. Topolinos is on the 10 th floor so you get great view, can go out on the terrace, you are served at the table, and the food is higher quality. I don’t see Chef Mickeys serving me a steak prepared the way I ask. And it’s still plenty of food. In February we each got the steak entree, basket of pastries with 3 different spreads (guarantee they are better than Chef Mickeys), juice, coffee, it was more than enough food. Chef Mickeys being more expensive than Topolinos—no brainer which I will pick. If you are going solely for quantity then the buffet is your better option.

It was definitely disappointing when they said they no longer would bring food for our toddler. We have been numerous times and they always offered above and beyond so it was an unexpected change that we hadn’t planned on. Will moving forward but it’s still sad. She was always happy with her plate of scrambled eggs

Confirming that when we ate there the second week of March we were only given the option of one entree per person. We were able to request a second but not a third basket of pastries for our party of 3 adults, one child and one two year old. The two year old was given a glass of juice and able to eat from the pastries and our plates but we would have had to purchase a child plate for him if we didn’t want to share off of ours. He doesn’t eat anyway so that was fine in our situation and we were all comfortably full (compared to the post-Thanksgiving dinner full we felt after the buffet meals we did that week.) The food was delicious and the characters were great, so I was happy with our experience overall. It was probably a one and done for us, but I feel that way about all of the character meals generally- no need to pay more to meet the same characters in the same setting again when there are so many places to try!

We have an upcoming reservation there and an almost but not yet 3 year old who eats like a horse 😂 Generally he just eats off my plate and shares with his sister (who never eats her full meal anyway)or we order him (and pay for) a side of some kind for him. Does this mean we couldn't order a side of eggs that we are happy to pay for? Does he have to eat off other plates or pay the full price? It doesn't sway our decision to eat here but I'd like to be prepared in this case and just bring along some extra snacks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter